Zero Punctuation: Silent Hill: Downpour

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
A map. Wow, it's... it's been a while, I'll admit. I haven't drawn a map for years. Yesh... I... I don't even remember the game... Well, maybe this game might be a good introduction into the Silent Hill series for me, but saying that makes me generally pessimistic about the odds of it...

Cyrus Hanley

Oct 13, 2010
Yatzee27 said:
Did anyone notice the [/i]Silent Hill: Downpour[/i] in the description?
Yes, I did.

And this guy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.370400-Zero-Punctuation-Silent-Hill-Downpour#14342814], too.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
*Reads the credits.* Don't worry Yahtzee it's apparently common to miss Silent Hill's map at the start of the game, at the petrol station. Currently watching the 'Two Best Friends' Lets Play of it. Much better than playing the game myself. Did you happen to miss the Flashlight at the beginning as well?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheYeIIowDucK said:
Is it just me or does Yahtzee review Silent Hill games way too often?
I think it just seems that way because he mentions Silent Hill 2 every three reviews or so.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
So in summary, Downpour is.....not bad? Not surprised that Yahtzee didn't shit all over it like a springbreaker the day after a return from Mexico but all other reviews just ooze disappointment. Still on the fence. I may get around to it eventually.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Hey yahtzee wasnt the thing with who is the murderer THE RESON why you didnt like Heavy Rain ?
The thing with the plot staying the same I mean .
And the goal of Murphy is to get out of SH

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm surprised that you really liked this one,somewhat,Yahtzee.

And yes,you should marry Silent Hill 2 already.

algalon

Dec 6, 2010
It'll be a beautiful wedding, bridesmaids all in disfigured nurse outfits, Pyramid Head as the best man, and a 4 legged mannequin as the ringbearer.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
Marry Silent Hill 2. You know you want to, the temptation...it's too much, isn't it?

Never played a Silent Hill game. Was gonna get the HD Collection but from what I've seen of its quality, I am glad I didn't. Tempted to pick up an old PS2 and find Silent Hill 2 cheap, though.

Great review as always, you and Jim Sterling have a lot in common, which is not a bad thing as Jim is a God.

DoanDavid

Flat lurker
Oct 28, 2009
exobook said:
What is it with Yahtzee and english jokes?
All we need is a joke about Milton Keynes and we'll have the set.
Well, he was born and raised in England. He didn't move to Australia before he turned twenty or something.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I agree with everything Yahtzee said here. I would also totally play the game "Scary things in dirty rooms" it sounds great!

exobook said:
What is it with Yahtzee and english jokes?
All we need is a joke about Milton Keynes and we'll have the set.
Yeah well, he is English after all... Besides I like it, makes a nice change from all the constant American references that I miss out on.

FoolKiller said:
Yea... that was the hard part for me. The slow down because of the constant auto save. The game actually saves about once every ten seconds.
Ahh but it doesn't. The save icon pops up randomly and without any real reason or tangible prompt. If you quit the game after one of these so-called "saves" it will actually dump you some way back because it never really saved there at all. I learnt that lesson the hard way.

I think it's tragic that the original Silent Hill implemented the fog simply because of technical issues, namely that the PS1 couldn't handle a very large draw distance. Now the fog has become an iconic part of the game and yet we are presented with technical issues because our more advanced consoles can't keep up the frame rate! Funny how the world goes.

Nile McMorrow said:
*Reads the credits.* Don't worry Yahtzee it's apparently common to miss Silent Hill's map at the start of the game, at the petrol station. Currently watching the 'Two Best Friends' Lets Play of it. Much better than playing the game myself. Did you happen to miss the Flashlight at the beginning as well?
Absolutely LOVING the best friend's playthrough! Simply hilarious.

Gorilla Gunk said:
Am I the only person who doesn't mind the monster designs? I kind of like them.
I think that's the problem right there. You're not supposed to "like" them, you're supposed to be reviled by them, horrified and disgusted. Like Yahtzee said, they're just dudes. Ain't nothing scary about dudes, even if their eyes have been forced open or they scream at you. Frankly the screaming female ones are ridiculous and they make me laugh a bit. Always brightens my day when they come shambling over!

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
themutantlizard said:
i hope he reviews Asuras wrath next
I hope he doesn't. I already know what his answer is. He hates it. Alot. It's not like a game it's an anime and he hates animes so grrr grr all around.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I didn't even know this game existed before now, but then I've never been into the Silent Hill series; and when I say "never been into" I mean I've haven't played a Silent Hill game in my life.

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Proverbial Jon said:
I think that's the problem right there. You're not supposed to "like" them, you're supposed to be reviled by them, horrified and disgusted. Like Yahtzee said, they're just dudes. Ain't nothing scary about dudes, even if their eyes have been forced open or they scream at you. Frankly the screaming female ones are ridiculous and they make me laugh a bit. Always brightens my day when they come shambling over!
The "You're not suppose to "like" them" argument just doesn't make sense to me. I've quite liked past SH enemies. I don't really see he problem with Downpour's enemies being human-looking. Previous SH games had the nurses which were just, um, nurses with fucked up faces, and Pyramid Head is just a dude with, well, a pyramid on his head, not to mention the ghosts in SH4: The Room.