Zero Punctuation: SimCity

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
I haven't played a SimCity game in years...

Maybe I should get 4, since that's widely considered as one of the best?
That's apparently up in the air, each one did something different that others like. Some say SimCity4 is too complex, others say it has a steep learning curve, others say it's the best and most interesting. If you want a good ..uh..'preview' of SimCity 4, an LPer I watch on youtube did 2 cities in it so you can get a grasp on it, look up GetDaved on youtube. He's not the best but he knows enough and does some explaining so you can get the gist.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
I laughed so hard at this one. He's absolutely right, especially regarding the cretinous AI and the fact that it's about as deep as a puddle.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is one of the best episodes. Also I'd spend the day with Zooey Deschanel.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
GoddyofAus said:
Can't wait for him to review Bioshock Infinite. He's going to struggle to find something to be negative about.
He can be a douche about the fact that they've gone from underwater city to a sky city and how it's not a very creative decision. Also two guns limit.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Rhys95 said:
Yahtzee, you should have gone the Dylan Thomas route for offensive place names. Just write it backwards like Llareggub in "Under Milkwood". (Though pronouncing whatever Dog's Bollocks is backwards would be difficult)
Nah, Skcollobsgod isn't that hard to pronounce, but it's hard to connect it to Dogsbollocs.

OT: I have heard people defend the always online with "It's supposed to be played online" I find myself thinking exactly what this video opened with. Yes, the game has online features which require a connection to be used, but no-one asked for this thing. It wasn't necessary or wanted and anyone could tell you that it would cause a ton of problems at launch. Yes, "It wasn't needed" could be said about a lot of things that have been successful and popular, but making something less stable is always unnecessary and it's never wanted if there is an option to it.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
dochmbi said:
The game hasn't been cracked yet (you can't get a working version from TPB) and it's already been 3 weeks since release, so the DRM is actually working quite well.
If by "working well" you mean "nobody wants to play this game anyway", then yeah.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
dochmbi said:
The game hasn't been cracked yet (you can't get a working version from TPB) and it's already been 3 weeks since release, so the DRM is actually working quite well. Oh and Assassins Creed 2 took 6 weeks to crack because it also had a completely new kind of DRM.
It's using the best DRM known to man - it's so bad people don't even want to pirate it.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
He can be a douche about the fact that they've gone from underwater city to a sky city and how it's not a very creative decision. Also two guns limit.
He already mentioned Columbia and said that it's a pretty sensible decision. The two guns limit may be mentioned, but then again, Far Cry 3 didn't have many weapons slots and still liked it.

MopBox

Sep 7, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
I haven't played a SimCity game in years...

Maybe I should get 4, since that's widely considered as one of the best?
It had some minor issues but I liked it!

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I have to say, I think this is the funniest ZP we've had in a good long while. And I'm not one of those guys who thinks the series is going downhill, I enjoy almost all the episodes but...yeah, this one was really good.

It also seemed like he was mixing up his delivery a bit on some of these jokes and it worked really well. Yahtzee, I dunno if you were intentionally trying something different on this video (or if you're even reading this) but you knocked it out of the park.

GildaTheGriffin

Jul 4, 2012
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
SimCity

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews SimCity.

Watch Video
Wow. I like how you blame EA for the way the game is set up. Maxis made the game, they are the ones for the DRM stuff. EA just handled the funding. No reason to get mad at them.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Magmarock said:
What was that indie game he was scrubbing himself with? I want to know :p
The Binding of Issac

http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/

Currently 75% off leaving it $1.24 USD! (price taken from Steam browser store using a New Zealand IP address)

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
GildaTheGriffin said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
SimCity

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews SimCity.

Watch Video
Wow. I like how you blame EA for the way the game is set up. Maxis made the game, they are the ones for the DRM stuff. EA just handled the funding. No reason to get mad at them.
No indeed, I mean, publishers always just blindly hand over the cash and never make demands about inclusions. And people who say they were cool with the decision aren't just doing so because they have signed contracts with the publisher and will probably get sued or terminated if they badmouth them.

Oh, and before I forget, EA has never come out as publicly saying that they don't greenlight games without multiplayer anymore. Silly to blame them really.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
The Lugz said:
how is it i always manage to avoid all these gaming pitfalls?

oh, right the origin badge! heh..

'sigh' ship sailed years ago but people were too blind to notice tbh
I hear that, Origin will never ever be on my computer.

OT: Hilarious review. Haven't laughed that much in a while. :D

Kayweg

Aug 5, 2010
GoddyofAus said:
Can't wait for him to review Bioshock Infinite. He's going to struggle to find something to be negative about.
He's not gonna struggle one bit.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
Fun episode. Laughed out loud at the part when he asks why poor people would want to play a god game. Hilarious.