Zero Punctuation: SimCity

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
Yahtzee, of all people, I'm highly surprised you didn't mention that the servers couldn't handle the influx of players at launch. That would have been a great point in the case of the online bollocks. What evs, really. Next week will be a good game.

Tim Chuma

Jul 9, 2010
I found a copy of SimCity 2000 to play for a while after seeing all the carry on over this game. Was still as good as I remember. I used to play that game in sandbox mode by HEX editing an original Sim City save file to $2Billion and importing the file to SimCity 2000. I remember there was a book on urban planning that used SimCity 2000 as an example and had a
"perfect" city you could download.

I also remember reading somewhere that Windows 95 had specific code that allowed SimCity 2000 to be played on it, not sure where I read it but it seems like a very specific case. No wonder it had the "more lines of code than the space shuttle" story spread about it.

I enjoyed reading through this let's play for Sim City 4 where they tossed out the "YOU CANNOT CUT BACK ON FUNDING, YOU WILL REGRET THIS!" guy in favour of their own plans
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410697

Why would you trust strangers being able to interact with your city? They would go out of their way to melt down their nuclear plants and send all their criminals to your city.

This band did a song about poo also, is beautiful as they call them "secrets" and toilets "straining wells"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1Gy8t-KiqM

And here's a silly song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKvDARey4pA

dragonmith

Sep 1, 2012
I just want say this now before it?s too late:

Natural Selection 2!

Ok.

Anyway, I did like this review, but he didn't really seem that annoyed about anything *(except the Origin download).

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
major_chaos said:
LadyRhian said:
So basically "People who like things I don't like are too stupid to see how wrong they are"?
I will occasion defend EA half because they have published some great games (i.e Dead Space) and half because the hate crowd is so insufferably smug I need to disagree with them on principle.
Do I even need to point out how stupid this sounds?

Iron Criterion

Feb 4, 2009
GildaTheGriffin said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
SimCity

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews SimCity.

Watch Video
Wow. I like how you blame EA for the way the game is set up. Maxis made the game, they are the ones for the DRM stuff. EA just handled the funding. No reason to get mad at them.
And who do you think vehemently demanded the always on DRM be included?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I never liked these kind of games, but that doesn't mean I cant enjoy Yahtzee ranting on it.

Ah, it was a good day...

PS: I personally can't wait to see the Yahtzee's take on Bioshock Infinite which will hopefully pop up in the upcoming weeks.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Some dick at Maxis said:
If you can't get a stable connection, you're not having a good experience.
No shit! That's precisely the problem. Specifically it's your problem since it's your job to ensure that we have a good experience playing your game.

Sergey Sund

May 20, 2012
The "online feature" thing is a complete crock of shit.
Yes, I can build besides other players, online. You could call that a Multiplayer. Since you can decide whether to play with somebody else or not anyway by plucking your LAN cable out of the modem, this couldn't have been the reason we need to stay online for.
So, then they told us that the server was necessary, because it would take over many of the calculations going on for your town because it is so complex, your PC can't even handle it. As if the installed game was just a spearhead, established on your computer by the server, that was running the real game.
This was meant, when Yahtzee told us about "offline would be a bad experience".
Until it was discovered only 4 days later that that was an utter lie, because the game runs fine offline when hacked and the stuff they claimed to need a server for was a) not as complex as they claimed and b) ran the exact fucking same way when played offline.
So that's it?
No real reason to have this always-online shit then?
You're still gonna make me do it?
Then it is the contemptible notion that I would steal a game from you that makes EA make me install Origin.
Wich I still fucking can, because, as said above, the DRM was circumvented 4 days after that press release!
So, what it is, in essence, is just being a dick to your customer so you can get your dick sucked by your stockholders.
"Look at me, I'm fighting piracy! Look how well I fight piracy! I have an online platform and everything! Look! Look! Suck my diiiiiiiiiick!"

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
xD

Excellent review for a game I will never touch! EA definitely didn't deserve the money you paid for it, they can stuff all their trash (all things origin) right up their own asses.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Iron Criterion said:
major_chaos said:
LadyRhian said:
So basically "People who like things I don't like are too stupid to see how wrong they are"?
I will occasion defend EA half because they have published some great games (i.e Dead Space) and half because the hate crowd is so insufferably smug I need to disagree with them on principle.
Do I even need to point out how stupid this sounds?
No, thanks for proving my point though. When the vocal minority won't shut up about how EA is everything wrong with everything and anyone who disagrees is too stupid to see how wrong they are and responds with insults *cough* I'm going to argue with them, same reason I pick fights with this site's over abundance of Bronies and Steam fanboys. When one side of an argument is very loud and very smug about it, I frequently find myself agreeing with the quieter side more.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Hopefully, EA will one day realize that Bug-Fixing isn't an optional stage in development that can be left until after the game is sold.
EA had made it clear that they think it makes more sense to get someone's money and then screw them over with DRM, unfair perma-bans and the like, than to give good customer service to encourage them to purchase more games in the future.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Rhys95 said:
Yahtzee, you should have gone the Dylan Thomas route for offensive place names. Just write it backwards like Llareggub in "Under Milkwood". (Though pronouncing whatever Dog's Bollocks is backwards would be difficult)
That seems overly complicated. I prefer playing the "I wonder if this is blocked game". You may not get your first choice but its creative and fun. It may turn out playing as the mayor of "Pontius Pilate" is better than "skcolloB s'goD".

OT:
I wish Zooey Dechannel would kick down my door and drag me to a roller rink.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
God, I've been waiting for Yahtzee to give this game a good thrashing, and he sure delivered.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Ed130 said:
Magmarock said:
What was that indie game he was scrubbing himself with? I want to know :p
The Binding of Issac

http://store.steampowered.com/app/113200/

Currently 75% off leaving it $1.24 USD! (price taken from Steam browser store using a New Zealand IP address)
yeah, if he's cleaning himself with that game, lord knows how filthy it feels to have origin in the vicinity

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
KelDG said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I haven't played a SimCity game in years...

Maybe I should get 4, since that's widely considered as one of the best?
You should grab 4, I have been playing that and Tropico instead of this new one. If you play 4 install NAM and CAM mods. NAM makes the traffic work properly and CAM allows for bigger and better buildings (eventually). I cannot believe the amount of still active content creators there are still about for Sim City 4
You seem like an expert on the subject. Is there anyway to change the theme of the city? I'm getting bored of US suburbia/downtown and want to make a wild west town, or a European style town - you know, with different architectural styles and stuff. Is there a mod for these themes, or is it in the game already?

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Yahtzee was surprisingly calm about the whole "Always Online DRM" thing that plagued SimCity.

Given how SimCity was usually a single player thing, I was expecting his reaction to be slightly more... volatile.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Kayweg said:
GoddyofAus said:
Can't wait for him to review Bioshock Infinite. He's going to struggle to find something to be negative about.
He's not gonna struggle one bit.
agreed, 'At this point it's becoming generic bioshock dough that looks like it rolled around in dishonoured's playpen and picked up a few loose level design building blocks, like a soiled piece of blutak after you pick it out of the grimy end of the couch'

ect ect.

it might be an arrant pixel getting stretched to comical proportions but he'll find something wrong with every game, forever. don't you worry

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Hilariously scathing, as usual. Seriously, anyone thinking EA doesn't care about the players anymore?

Also, I got a real kick out of the credits sequence this week.