Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Suskie

Nov 9, 2009
Did Yahtzee just refer to BioShock's combat as "intense and unforgiving"? Does he realize that it was IMPOSSIBLE TO DIE in that game? (Don't answer that. I know he said that in his review, so I'm wondering why he's praising it now.)

On a side note, I will never buy a Slim Jim again for the rest of my life.

Quillpaw

Sep 30, 2009
hawk533 said:
Why did you have to bring up human centipede? I thought I had finally gotten over that. On the other hand, that may be the most appropriate analogy to the history of the FPS.
I was going to write some overly long post about my opinion, but that about sums it up. Though I might have slipped an "Oh dear god no" in there somewhere, or something.

Andersen

Jun 16, 2010
I'm sorry to say but I really think that Croshaw has no idea what he's talking about. Sure Singularity rips off of bioshock a lot, but in the best of ways. There is a time slow down skill, it's just not a god-hack ability like it is in most games.

It's not game of the year but it was certainly worth the buy.

Am I the only one who has gone from loving Yahtzee to hating him? He's such a prick nowadays. Half the games he's reviewed this year (and many last year) were great games that got every tiny crap thing they had in them brought to light while he pointed and yelled like some attention-starved brat.

Don't give me that, "Oh well he's a critic so of course he rips on games" bullshit. He doesn't do any good jokes/puns anymore (he didn't even try this time), he is extremely unfair to damn near every game he reviews, and is an overall ass.

Get singularity, or at least rent it for christ sakes, it's a proverbial gem in the shit that has come out so far this summer.

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
GamesB2 said:
I really enjoyed this game.

It was better than most FPS' out now and had a vaguely interesting story and gimmicks.

'tun the enemy into a baby, give him a grenade to suck on and throw him at his buddies to show you mean business' xD

Also this games sales were horrendous... I recommend people to buy this game, the SP is great and the online is surprisingly fun.
Is it kind of like Red Faction: Guerilla? By that I mean, "Gee! This single player sure is fun! Wait a second. Is that-? Holy shit there's a multiplayer component! -GASP- AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD?!"

Tinneh

Oct 10, 2009
Andersen said:
I'm sorry to say but I really think that Croshaw has no idea what he's talking about. Sure Singularity rips off of bioshock a lot, but in the best of ways. There is a time slow down skill, it's just not a god-hack ability like it is in most games.

Am I the only one who has gone from loving Yahtzee to hating him? He's such a prick nowadays. Half the games he's reviewed this year (and many last year) were great games that got every tiny crap thing they had in them brought to light while he pointed and yelled like some attention-starved brat.

Don't give me that, "Oh well he's a critic so of course he rips on games" bullshit. He doesn't do any good jokes/puns anymore (he didn't even try this time), he is extremely unfair to damn near every game he reviews, and is an overall ass.

Get singularity, or at least rent it for christ sakes, it's a proverbial gem in the shit that has come out so far this summer.
Yahtzee gets paid to be a prick, he wouldn't be fun to watch if he wasn't a colossal asshole.

BurroDiablo

Mar 5, 2009
The plot reveals itself in the beginning when the statue of Stalin turns into the guy you saved. The end wasn't so much of a plot-twist as a Confirming-what-you-should-already-know moment. Overall, the game was fun but poorly written, i'd give it an 8.

5-0

Apr 6, 2010
Great one today. I loved the "get you tampons ready..." part especially.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Andersen said:

The internet has a term for what you are feeling right now: He Panned It Now He Sucks [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HePannedItNowHeSucks]

Also, I think Singularity deserved the thrashing he gave it. It was mediocre at best.

dee_dubs

Nov 8, 2007
Ah, generic plot based macguffin materials. Now if only they'd picked an element that idn't actually exist.

Pro tip for developers. If you're going to put a mysterious element into your games to psudo-science away the plot holes, try to make sure that element doesn't already exist. Element 99 does. It's called Einsteinium. While I'm sure the whole link between Einstein and time travel may sound good, we happen to know what this element is capable of, and time travel is not listed.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Hah yeah looks like shit.

As to the time traveling/changing the past, I'd like to see Yahtzee's take on it in Cryostasis. Assuming Yahtzee has a PC that isn't shit... probably not...

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Jack and Calumon said:
Calumon: Someone told me I'm like the little girls on Bioshock.
A representation of the defilement of an icon of innocence in the name of naked greed?

I mean I'm sure there are digimon stories that look like that, but they've usually got Renamon in....

Fuhjem

Jan 17, 2009
Hey, at least they tried. It was a failure, but this industry is in some serious need of risk takers.

Jul 22, 2009
Tinneh said:
GamesB2 said:
I really enjoyed this game.

It was better than most FPS' out now and had a vaguely interesting story and gimmicks.

'tun the enemy into a baby, give him a grenade to suck on and throw him at his buddies to show you mean business' xD

Also this games sales were horrendous... I recommend people to buy this game, the SP is great and the online is surprisingly fun.
Is it kind of like Red Faction: Guerilla? By that I mean, "Gee! This single player sure is fun! Wait a second. Is that-? Holy shit there's a multiplayer component! -GASP- AND IT'S ACTUALLY GOOD?!"
Yes that's pretty much exactly how I felt.

"That was great!... There's an online? Man this is gonna suck... Holy shit balls this is awesome!"

Andersen

Jun 16, 2010
I disagree, I think that while it *used* to be funny to watch him be an asshole, he *used* to give 9/10 games that he reviewed their props for what they did right, so now he's just being a prick making his loyal die-hard fans think that every game is shit.

Singularity is a damn good game, it's too short and yeah its rips off bioshock but it's still damn good. So was Red Dead, Borderlands, and Splinter Cell Convictions, but I don't complain about him ripping on them because at least in those he's funny and make his little fart jokes and what not, but he hasn't even been trying lately.

0/10 for this review (or critique or whatever the fuck you call it)

Nothing even remotely funny

Completely inaccurate on description of the story

Not mentioning any of the FUN aspects of the game, which is important to mention in a game like this where they far outweigh the negative aspects.

EDIT: It's also very clear that he plays games on easy, but in normal and hard mode, bullets stop being enough, so there goes that point. (your move fanboys)