Zero Punctuation: Singularity

your evil twin

Jun 25, 2010
For some reason, Yahtzee completely fails to mention that the game is ludicrously fun. The weapons and shooting mechanics are excellent, great weapons and great enemies (both humans and monsters). It's the best shooter I've played this year. And the gameplay mechanics, weapons, enemies, puzzles etc change every few minutes, it's got constant crazy variety, just like the Half-Life games.

The game does get a bit too easy if you fully upgrade assault rifle damage or your Deadlock time freezing power. But other than that flaw, it was a great old-skool shooter, with none of the problems of Wolfenstein. You know that Black Mesa mod that is supposed to be a modern remake of Half-Life 1? Singularity felt like what Half-Life 1 would be like if made with modern technology and set in Russia rather than the US, and about rifts in time rather than a rift to another universe. Not terribly original, but great in terms of setting and gameplay.

As for the "plot twist", it was not that saving Demechev changed history. Yes there's a brief flashback moment where it shows you saving the guy and history changing, but that's just to add emphasis to something. There are several real plot twists... which I wont' reveal in case anyone does get this game.

As a whole, the story was pretty decent. A hell of a lot beter than a lot of other time travel games and movies and TV shows.

Also, the thing where de-aging people turns them into mutants? Yahtzee thinks this makes no sense, and reckons it should turn them into babies. Think about it... when you age an enemy, you don't simply speed up time, you don't see the guy going about the next 50 years of normal day-to-day life, instead instead all the matter just gets incredibly old, and the person screams in horror as their flesh ages and disintegrates and their skeleton collapses to the floor. A diagram on a chalkboard in the game describes it as "increase in entropic radiation", entropy being the law of the universe that means things tend to get old and fall apart. So if you reverse the process, you are making their flesh incredibly young... like an embyo or fetus. Due to conservation of mass, they don't shrink into little babies, instead you get a man-sized embyonic thing, a blind creature with no skin. The original concept art on the Raven developer blog showed the thing being in a placental sac. http://www.ravensoft.com/blog/images/2010-06-07-ryanbutts/char_soldier_tmdstates.jpg I think they dropped that because they didn't want to emphasise the whole embyo thing, in case it was controversial and people complained or something.

lordwally said:
You know, element 99 isn't some big mystery. It's called Einsteinium. It's a legit element on the periodic table. It's a synthetic metallic element that's highly radioactive. It's created by sticking Plutonium in a reactor for several years like cheese. Why did they pick that? If they wanted to be original and realistic, they should've chosen element 118 which, if created, would be the first man made completely stable element.
Because the Russians discovered E99 and experimented with it in 1940s and 50s, before the discovery of Einsteinium. It was the 99th element to be discovered, so they called it E99. And since things went bad and everything was covered up, the rest of the world never found out about it, so later the "real" 99th element Einsteinium was discovered.

What I also thought was cool was that the term Black Hole is never used in the game, even though a Singularity is the term for the core of a black hole. Which makes sense because the term wasn't invented until 1967, and in the game's story the Russians made an artificial one in the 1950s.

12capital

Feb 1, 2010
I find it funny they put links from ebay, amazon, and gamestop to buy the game after Yahtzee's review. As if his reviews have ever motivated anyone to buy the games lol.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
The part about the baby and not messing around sure was the best part ^~^! Thanks again for another great video >~<

Aug 25, 2009
I know that this will have been said hundreds of times but I had work so I haven't got around to watching the video until now.

Someone showed a trailer for Singularity about a week before it was released, claiming it looked awesome and asking why no one was excited for it. In that thread I dismissed it immediately saying it looked like a mashup of Timeshift and Half Life with all the emotion and good characterisation sucked out.

Hey look, I finally get to say I told you so.

Seriously, I'm actually more comfortable with remakes and sequels than I am with shamefaced copying of better games to try and make the same amount of money. At least with remakes and sequels it's their own intellectual property they're milking for more cash.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
Since Yahtzee already knows what I'm going to say before I say it, I'm not going to bother saying it because I've already said it and he knows I've said it and oh crap now I've gone cross-eyed.
Easy there Austin powers.

OT: I haven't played this game, but I may try it regardless of whether or not Yatzee likes it.

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
Thank you Yahtzee. You mentioning that bear in Flambards has reminded me of all of the dozen or so shitty holidays I had in Cornwall simultaneously, so now all I can think about it 12 years of disappointment and boredom at the same time.

Chevy235

Jun 8, 2010
Let me preface this by saying Yahtzee is the only reviewer I actually heed the advice of, seeing as how his taste and mine seem pretty similar.

I have a piece of constructive criticism for Mr. Croshaw:

Please stop using allusions to history or politics. It's obvious by your comments that you're not really interested in these subjects and haven't studied them at any length...so whenever you use them in metaphors or what have you, they either fall completely flat or are of the eye-roll-causing overheard-conversation-in-Starbucks variety.

For me at least they take your reviews from entertaining to groan-inducing.

P.S. I hate Jason Statham.

Galbraith

Jul 21, 2010
The reference to "The Human Centipede: First Sequence" was a wonderfully subtle allusion to something truly grotesque. I expected nothing less from Zero Punctuation.

SoxFan96

Mar 16, 2010
Well I count four people who got the Beatles reference.
For those who missed the joke, Blackburn Lancashire is mentioned in the Beatles song, A day in the Life.
"I read the news today oh Boy.
Four thousand holes in blackburn lancashire.
Although the holes were rather small,
they had to count them all."

In conclusion Yahtzee said, as many plot holes as there are holes in balckburn lancashire.
As in 4000. Funny Joke. I applaud you.

Good episode though.

neuromantic

May 4, 2009
I've been to Flambards and I can tell you I too was left traumatised and confused by that fellow in the bear costume.

Pottsy102

Apr 19, 2009
Hah, loved this weeks review
With all your pop culture references ^_^

Now, although these plot holes were very small, did you have to count them all?
And now you know how many holes it takes to fill a shitty FPS?

jayedub7423

Jan 16, 2010
Must be lonely being the one person in the world who hates every game. Thanks for the mildly entertaining video.

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
Why doesn't Yahtzee review fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 or Tekken? I have never seen him review one.

And as for the game's story, all stories involving time travel are typically crap so don't be to hard on this game in that regard.
There are exceptions. Particularly ones from the SNES era though.

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
jayedub7423 said:
Must be lonely being the one person in the world who hates every game. Thanks for the mildly entertaining video.
I seem to remember he loved Psychonauts. And rightly so.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
HA! As if he mentioned Blackburn, I only live 25 minutes away from there.

I kind of had a feeling this would be one of those games that comes out in an obscure manner, without being any good. It's a shame, really, it sounds like they could've done a lot with the idea, but managed to hash it up quite nicely.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
That after-credit comment is both disturbing and intriguing.

Also, if you're going to center your game around a magical unobtanium element, at least name it creatively. Element 99 is real and sorely lacks time-traveling proprieties [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Element_99] despite its cool name.