Zero Punctuation: Singularity

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
I was also very disappointed by the plot twist at the end, however if you go for the good ending, there is a better secondary twist there (aside from the obvious statue). Pay especially attention to the differences in the dialog.

But I agree, the story has more plot holes than emmental cheese.

wildpeaks

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Dec 25, 2008
Sentient6 said:
Rather disappointing, because I had to end it half way through, because I HATE SPOILERS.
It's not really a spoiler as it's established within the first 5 minutes of the game. Plus Yatzhee didn't mention the whole of the twist anyway, there is still a small detail.

And anyway, it's not at all the type of game you play for the story, don't worry.

ZeppMan217

Apr 13, 2010
Tis sad that the studio that is capable of creating such nice games like Hexen, Jedi Academy and X-Men Origins: Wolverine usually create some third leg poop. Sad.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?

Nov 8, 2008
Leftnt Sharpe said:
I'm still trying to figure out what Yahtzee meant by, more holes than Blackburn. I'm just going to awesome it was some sort of insult, in which case: bravo Yahtzee.!
It's a Beatles reference. A brilliant one at that.

Anticitizen_Two

Jan 18, 2010
More holes than Blackburn, Lancashire... good one. I'm not even a big fan of that album (it's sooooooo overrated, give me Pet Sounds over it any day), but that cracked me up.
Bloodstain said:
Thanks for the spoiler warning. Even though it seems shitty, I hate being spoilered.

A note? Seriously?
If you think the note is bad, you're lucky you didn't have the "plot twist" spoiled for you.

Warbasse

Mar 21, 2009
References to Back to the Future, Doctor Who, AND The Human Centipede? Bravo, Mr. Croshaw. Bravo.

EDIT: The Beatles, too!

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
My friend guessed the Plot Twist right when we found the messages.

I was like "God Damnit, you ruined the game you dick!"

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
MrSnugglesworth said:

"I WAS WRONG" did kinda give it away bigtime.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
redscum said:
MrSnugglesworth said:

"I WAS WRONG" did kinda give it away bigtime.
Yeah, I felt they could have been a lot more subtle with the messages.

NeverMemory

Aug 12, 2009
lol, took the word right out of my mouth; couple video(I didn't actually played the game but merely watch a walkthrough on youtube) into the game I find myself comparing Singularity to Bioshock and Timeshift, didn't thought about half-life but I must admit it's a pretty good fit regarding the story element. Didn't really like the ending though, so I guess what I'm saying is I'm giving Singularity a thumbs down. Looking forward to the next review.

Necrith

Feb 13, 2008
coincidentally, I finished this game today.

I just cant wrap my mind around the part of "you need to kill yourself"
no... why? why the hell would I do that, why cant I go back in time, and shoot the Russian dude i'm getting to safety?

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
Necrith said:
coincidentally, I finished this game today.

no... why? why the hell would I do that, why cant I go back in time, and shoot the Russian dude i'm getting to safety?
Because you probably go back in time to stop you from stop you.

wtf_yahtzee

Jul 22, 2010
WTF YAHTZEE!!!!!!!!!!
U GAVE AWAY THE F*CKING SPOILER!?!?!?!?
YOU PRICK!!!

I WILL NEVER WATCH ANOTHER ZP, GO FU*K A CACTUS YOU TOSSER!

your evil twin

Jun 25, 2010
Necrith said:
Because if you just go back in time and shoot Demechev, there's a chance he might survive. He's a tough guy. Over the course of the game you shoot him several times... you shoot him and he falls out a window, and at end of the game you shoot him with a pistol and then he gets back up and argues with you.

If you just shoot Demechev while your past self is carrying Demechev, then chances are your past self will still carry him to safety, and he might survive his wounds. (Especially because there is a room full of scientists that would rush to help him.) To be absolutely sure you can't screw things up anymore, you have to kill yourself.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Holy_Handgrenade said:
Anyone have any idea what the refrence to Blackburn was about?

The only reason I was intrigued was because I am from Burnley there footballing rivals.
Just in case nobody messaged you, or you haven't checked back on this topic since you asked: it's a quote from a Beatles song, specifically 'A Day In The Life'. To paraphrase: apparently there were four thousand holes in Blackburn, which were very small but they all had to be counted; as a result they now know how many holes it takes to fill the Albert Hall.

...there may have been drugs involved. But it's a fantastic song, so yeah.

Funny review as always. Strange to see a mention of Flambards, but I have similarly grim memories - that bloody Hornet rollercoaster wasn't much fun for me as a child.

Ian S

Aug 31, 2009
Points on name-checking Gamera, referencing the Beatles and the shot of the TARDIS.

However, like others have said, did you really need to reference The Human Centipede, Yahtzee? Seriously, I'm still not quite over that movie and I saw it three months ago! Hell, my girlfriend didn't even see it, but she was so disgusted by my description of it that even she retched when the reference came up!

Still, I found it interesting Yahtzee found it better than Wolfenstein, as I thoroughly enjoyed that game. Say whatever you will about it, but I at least personally found it to be closer in spirit to the original Wolfenstein 3-D than Return to Castle Wolfenstein was supposed to have been (walking around with crazy weapons the Nazis supposedly developed, fighting bizarre enemies also spawned from said experiments and searching for hidden treasure).

Also, I've been a fan of Raven since Heretic and I'm hard-pressed to think of a single game that they did that I would have considered "bad." Their output has been pretty good and consistent. So if Yahtzee thinks Singularity was bad, but better than Wolfenstein, that means there's a pretty good chance I'll enjoy it even more than Wolfenstein. Either that or I'm just easy to please.