Zero Punctuation: Singularity

Skipper3

Jun 28, 2010
Hardcore_gamer said:
Why doesn't Yahtzee review fighting games like Super Street Fighter 4 or Tekken? I have never seen him review one.

And as for the game's story, all stories involving time travel are typically crap so don't be to hard on this game in that regard.
I think he has reviewed Soul Caliber.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
now my head hurts!

but anywho, after (unfortunately) playing the game I have to concur, it was sh!t

tiberseptim

Apr 15, 2009
I look forward to reading the Extra Punctuation to come out of this weeks video and comments. Will it be an excellent dissertation on time manipulation in games or overwrought plot twists? Or will it be a totally unrelated diversion into irrelevant self indulgence. Probably somehow involving FSG:TG.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
your evil twin said:
Actually Yahtzee's description of the supposed plot twist is pretty much completely false. The game has several real plot twists.

There is a flashback to you saving the guy at the start of the game, I guess it is for stupid people that forgot the beginning. Yahtzee seemed to think that this meant it was supposed to be the reveal of a plot twist, even though Dr Barisov already explained it in the middle of the game.

Thankfully Yahtzee didn't reveal the real plot twists of the game... but it does have actual twists. People very familiar with time travel stories will probably guess most of them (I did), but the actual ending is quite surprising.
Which "actual" ending? ALL three endings remind me of all the bad ending of Cyberflix's "Titanic: Adventure Out of Time" but at least one of those bad endings was a return to status quo. No matter what the main character does at the end of THIS game he basically loses.

ark123

Feb 19, 2009
Hahaha finally, something as good as the ones you used to do, like Darkness etc. This was great.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
Hmm. You played the game to the end...?

That is strangely a more powerful motivator to buy the game than if you'd spent the last five minutes praising it.

Laughed so much this week that my housemates kept perving on me. Thank you.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
CyricZ said:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.
especially since element 99 already exists and has been quantified, studied, etc. numerous times. *facepalm*

Jory

Dec 16, 2009
I live near Flambards!

Good review, commendations for not using Bullet time though

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
I remember seeing a trailer of this game a few weeks back and thought to myself 'This game is ripping of Timeshift so much Im surprised they even changed the name'

-M

Dascylus

May 22, 2010
I grew up in Helston (town that spawned Flambards) and I know for a fact that everyone who has put on the "Ferdie" costume gets annually tormented by gangs of rowdy 12 year olds. Add that to the torment of wearing the outfit in the blazing hot summer and never being able to openly state your job to others I think retribution is yours, if only vicariously.

redscum

Jul 21, 2010
mrdude2010 said:
CyricZ said:
Wow. Can we make laws that people who write for video games have to have actual writing experience and can show credible work?

And I just realized that saying that I didn't mention that my target was not Mr. 'Tzee, but the people writing this video game he's talking about.
especially since element 99 already exists and has been quantified, studied, etc. numerous times. *facepalm*
Can people stop saying this? In the time-frame of the game Einsteinium hadn't been discovered. Not that that matters in the slightest anyway, this is a game, if writers can't make things up what are they going to do exactly?

ROBOcity123

Mar 7, 2010
I like the punk feel in your work. The tampon is definably something men are supposed to be sensitive about and periods in general (Wii motion reference). You certainly don't follow ethical guidelines but don't cross that line by not being racist or anything. There is a certain class to your work, even though it's filled with profanity. It's like punk/intellectual humor.

JiggoloJoe

Jul 28, 2010
Yahtzee went to Flambards? OH MY DAYS! I used to work there, its only a few miles from where I live! And no I was not the bear :p

hclarke15

May 24, 2009
If you want to go back even further you can trace the white haze going through all of the clues presented can be traced back to the huge plot plot twist in KOTOR.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
redscum said:
mrdude2010 said:
CyricZ said:

Can people stop saying this? In the time-frame of the game Einsteinium hadn't been discovered. Not that that matters in the slightest anyway, this is a game, if writers can't make things up what are they going to do exactly?
im saying you can make things up but i still think it's stupid to "make up" an element that already exists is all im saying. i would've been perfectly fine even if it was one of the ununhexium type elements because we don't really understand those at all yet... or even better, calim it is element 111 that has the advantage of being repeating numbers and therefore catchy without it actually existing.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
There was actually a movie where a middle-eastern terrorist group summoned a basilisk, I think... or was it a chimera? Either way that's kind of close to the Taliban having giant robotic snakes.
As for alternate history, I have to agree with the cold war thing. I mean, if you're going to do alternate history, do it completely alternate like Insomniac did with Resistance, where the cold war was replaced by a war with an extraterrestrial uberforce and we had a surprisingly high amount of technology for the time being. It's better than "The CIA screwed up and we decided to claim that they started it."

ashps07

Aug 2, 2010
Just so you know Raven thought up the audio-logs first. They implemented the audio-logs in Singularity 1st then they saw Bioshock and then saw the 2k implemented audio-logs as well, but 2k implemented the audio-logs after Raven implemented them 1st... Also there is bullet time... its when you purposely go back in time & the good professor tells you to age the safe...