Zero Punctuation: Skate 2

Logicality

Feb 8, 2008
Call me old fashioned, but the only skate game I was ever into was Skate or Die. I can't get into skate boarding at all. This was definitely funny.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
LesIsMore said:
Not a bad review, but certainly weaker than last week - though part of that is because I'd never play this game for two reasons, 1) it's a skating game and 2) it's on the Playstation 3.
It's...on the 360 as well. Yahtzee just seems to be getting more PS3 versions of console games than 360 versions.

From a person who had no idea what a pop shuvit was when going to play Skate 1, I actually learned quite a bit about skateboarding and the culture that goes along with it. Rob Dyrdek is now one of my favorite celebrities, because he's funny, generous, and he grew up 5 minutes from where I did. (and designed and funded one of the first ever skate plazas in his hometown)

Now I can at least describe to you the basic idea behind tricks and recognize a few skateboarding people if I happen to see highlights on TV (fairly recently Danny Way had a nasty-looking wipeout on a megaramp which was covered on basically every sports segment).

So basically, I kind of agree with Yahtzee on some of his points, but mostly he was an ignorant asshole who saw the game was more difficult to learn than average and didn't feel like reading the DAMN DICTIONARY OF TERMS THE GAME PROVIDES IN THE TRICK LIST. Personally, as a skateboarding noob/wannabe, I found it very enlightening.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
CruzChaos said:
definitely funny. Will rent this one since I am not that into skating games.
In advance...double post, sry.

Anyway, definitely try it. I wasn't into skating games at all, and my friend talked me into playing Skate 1. I got hooked really fast. It's absolutely nothing like Tony Hawk, where you press one button to jump and another to grind at 50 mph. Tony Hawk fell out of vogue when they progressively made the challenges even more ridiculous (like jumping over the Empire State Building or something). In Skate, doing a kickflip, grinding for a few seconds on the curb, and kickflipping off of it makes you feel like a damned rockstar. It's the simple stuff.

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
i skate and maybe that´s the reason did´nt laugh as much as i normally do watching zp. i am not offended or so, but the truth is that every skating game so far came up with all that "yo, dude, extreme, sick!!!" bullshit, except the old thrasher game on psone(not that much at least...). and although i really like the game i can understand that many people think its too difficult. yeah right, being a skater actually really helps understanding the controls better. the best thing about skate 2(as well as in skate.) is when you have mastered the controls and you cruise around the city and do what you want, but if you are no skateboarder yourself and/or you don´t wanna wait til you learn all the controls properly, chances are you have no interest in something like building spots or exploring the city at all. but personally, i am always bummed about how they always characterize skateboarding in games because all these games make skaters look like retards in general with all that cliché-shit and stupid slang-speech.its just annoying to skaters as well as non-skaters. but who cares, anyway...

iamthehorde

Mar 2, 2009
bartholen said:
This one was pretty good, but in some points it was quite difficult to understand what he was saying (I mean even more difficult than usual). I've never understood the point of skating or games about it either.
that´s like a start for a bad stand-up comedy. "you know bananas? i don´t get these bananas. why do people eat bananas? they are so fucking yellow! and they are curved, too! and they eat it! how crazy is that?!" (followed by little applaus from some people who either didn´t listen because it was so boring but follow the duty of applausing to almost everything you say to them or are so old, senile, stoned, etc. that they are unable to follow anything the guy in front of the brickwall(?) said but give him applause due to good maneurs).

i don´t know why i did that, sorry. i´m just angry because of women.

hopeneverdies

Oct 1, 2008
I'm guessing immersion is sometimes a bad thing. Oh well better dust off THPS3 at some point because it is a good skating game where you don't need to press six buttons at the same time just to move and the arcade like objective based gameplay wasn't bad and 1000 pts is not hard to get.

Rational-Delirium

Feb 24, 2009
I downloaded the demo, and found the controls to be a lot more intuitive than, say, Tony Hawk. Here, to grind you have to land on a ledge a certain way by maneuvering it there, instead of just pressing triangle. I kinda liked that better, but this could be a case of not seeing the horrors of the full game here.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
Skate 2 is fun, but I do agree about the learning curve, which has kept the game on the shelf a bit more than I wished. Put enough time into the game and it's quite rewarding but unfortunately during this economic downturn I don't have the free time I use to.

Battle Medic

Sep 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Oh god. Tea tray.
I giggled. Nice reference to Uncharted with the white supremacy bit.

EDIT: Also the opening was gone. Dun dun dun.

And hell, I laughed more at this review than the last six or so, so good job.
Speaking of which, what in the name of the great space goat was with the child molestation game?

Satanhunter

Mar 23, 2010
If you listen to the review with headphones you can hear sirens in the background while he's talking.

cauby

Apr 27, 2010
I was about to say the same thing about the sirens.Never noticed until I used headphones.Funny

morotorno

Jul 28, 2010
great review for a shitty game. haven't tried it, but you don't have to be a skater to know it's shitty.
no sirisly, you don't have to be a skater.