Zero Punctuation: Sleeping Dogs

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
Wait, did Yahtzee think that Wei being an undercover cop was supposed to be a twist/surprise? It's established in the opening cutscene that he's working with the police. Hell, it even says so on the back of the box. Funny review, but I don't really get what he was going for there.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
min6char said:
What's so great about Yahtzee's reviews is that whatever his take was, I always walk away knowing pretty well whether *I'll* like the game. This is nothing like an endorsement from him, but now I really want this game. What can I say, Arkham Asylum meets Assassin's Creed meets GTA is good enough for me...
Personally, I would compare it more to Yakuza (with GTA's driving). The focus on melee combat, leveling system and weird minigame sections (coincidentally, in a karaoke) sounds a lot closer to Yakuza than any other open world game.

FiveSpeedf150

Sep 30, 2009
Hit it out of the park with the San Andreas reference. Think of how many years it's been and I still think GTA:SA is the best sandbox bar none.

If Rockstar wants to get their shit straight GTA:V should be a GTA:VC/SA love child with a graphics upgrade (not utilizing the dirt spectrum though, if you're going to do that fuck it just stick with SA's graphics at least I could see what I was shooting at.)

Yes I'm still bitter over GTA4.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Dead Raen said:
He makes a good point, though. Not even SR3 had jetpacks. Why the hell not?
Because the jetpack in San Andreas was a slow piece of shit that was made completely redundant by the far more awesome military fighter jet that takes off and lands like a helicopter but flies around the map like an airplane. And Saints Row The Third DID have one of those.

Azaraxzealot said:
No love for original games Yahtzee? This continues to send a bad message to developers/publishers once again that developing original IPs over sequels is a bad idea. Couldn't there at least have been the mention of the fact that Sleeping Dogs was its own original game before Activision decided to attach the True Crime name to it?
New IP =/= original game. An original game is a game with original gameplay mechanics. Anything that can be called a clone (such as a GTA clone) is not original no matter what they decide to title it.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Joriss said:
So Yatzee, Darksiders 2 next week yes?
He mentioned it in extra punc , so most probably .Also there is fuck all coming out this mounth .Darksiders 1 is still the funniest review that yz has done .

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I enjoyed this game immensely and the "review" was very funny Yahtzee.

Looking forward to see Darksiders 2 next week hopefully? :p

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
well because of GTA(hate this games with a burning passion of a thousand suns), i hate this kind of games but i need to say Sleeping dogs is a excellent game,really loved it and recommend it !!!

wtf is with this jet packs? why the fuck do you need a jet pack ?

can't wait to hear Yahtzee tearing Darksiders2 pieces

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
I really do love this game. One of the best sandboxes I've played in a VERY long time

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Azaraxzealot said:
No love for original games Yahtzee? This continues to send a bad message to developers/publishers once again that developing original IPs over sequels is a bad idea. Couldn't there at least have been the mention of the fact that Sleeping Dogs was its own original game before Activision decided to attach the True Crime name to it?
New IP =/= original game. An original game is a game with original gameplay mechanics. Anything that can be called a clone (such as a GTA clone) is not original no matter what they decide to title it.
By that logic, nothing is original, because at this point pretty much all the good mechanics have been thought of.
This is STILL original in the sense no one has made a crime-focused sandbox game set in China (in fact, few games focus on countries or locations in Asia, even fewer give the player license to explore and dick around in such areas) that features a protagonist who is an undercover cop with RPG mechanics such as skill trees and a reputation system with the populace along with integrating story and gameplay by providing experience on two factions based on your actions during missions.

All these mechanics have been featured in other games, sure, but how many games have them all? That's right, just Sleeping Dogs.

EDIT: To further support my statement, it should be noted that Sleeping Dogs is obviously not trying to be anything else or steal anyone's thunder, but trying to be good on its own merits, which is what separates an original game from an uninspired one (like Battlefield 3 or Call of Duty)

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Never been a huge fan of these types of games. Still, the setting alone is almost enough to make me give this game a try.

PinkiePyro

Sep 26, 2010
uchytjes said:
Everything is better with a jetpack. EVERYTHING.

Also: once you have a jetpack, you never go back. Its impossible to do so.
jetpacks pff saints row the third has a plane that shoots lasers of fiery death

sazzrah

Dec 21, 2008
Every week I came here to watch Yahtzee's reviews and every week I come away wondering why he hasn't reviewed Journey yet.

Seriously, the most amazing game released in years and no review? It's surprising since he will review XBL Summer of Arcade titles but not anything that comes out exclusively of PSN. I know he's not a console warrior so it's not a fanboy thing, but it is a bit strange.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
This video makes me realize just how goddamn good San Andreas was, and how no sandbox game since then has compared in its awesome balance between realism and absurdity.

That said, I think I'll like Sleeping Dogs a lot, since it looks like a really fun game from gameplay I've seen.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
uchytjes said:

unless you add another jetpack

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
In their own ways, every sandbox after San Andreas has been hopelessly trying to catch up with it and it's jetpack, save maybe for Just Cause 2 and it's equally fun parachute/wire combo, and maybe Mafia 1, which went a different route and pulled it off incredibly well.

uchytjes said:

Disagree. I've been there, but have found jetpacks a fickle and tempremental mistress, compared to my ultimate soul mate the "grappling hook".

Seriously- if you think jetpacks are underused/underrated, that's nothing compared to the loads of deserved praise that grappling hooks just aren't getting.