Zero Punctuation: Sleeping Dogs

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
just cant get hyped about this game. even when i live in hong kong. maybe i will get it one day when its really cheap but for now, dont care at all about it.

Nenad

Mar 16, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

Very funny review as always.
L.A. Noire?

m19

Jun 13, 2012
It was not 'True Crime Hong Kong' originally. It was a new IP then 'True Crime Hong Kong' label was slapped on by the publisher. When the project was revived later, it was removed.

And it's a great game.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
Here`s a good game advice (cos probably im a better game director than the guys who made Sleepy Dogs ) . If you cap the guy in the head then give us negative carma points . If we disarm him or just shot him in the hand or somthing than you give us possitive police points . Its not that hard to figure it out . Darkests of Days did it around 3 years ago .

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
Squilookle said:
In their own ways, every sandbox after San Andreas has been hopelessly trying to catch up with it and it's jetpack, save maybe for Just Cause 2 and it's equally fun parachute/wire combo, and maybe Mafia 1, which went a different route and pulled it off incredibly well.

uchytjes said:
Everything is better with a jetpack. EVERYTHING.

Also: once you have a jetpack, you never go back. Its impossible to do so.
Disagree. I've been there, but have found jetpacks a fickle and tempremental mistress, compared to my ultimate soul mate the "grappling hook".

Seriously- if you think jetpacks are underused/underrated, that's nothing compared to the loads of deserved praise that grappling hooks just aren't getting.
Yes, this is true! but the problem is that very few games actually get the grappling hook correct, if they even have it. Maybe its something to do with coding the game... as in they think it is easier to just put in a jetpack rather than having the player fly around on the end of a string and hook or something.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Wait a sec

Sleeping dogs is True Grime III, .. so that is why I felt that things we're not as deep as they should be. True Grime failed me in being more complex yet.. less deep then GTA. And if you can say that about a game..

SAMURAJ

Mar 20, 2009
Haha nothing compares to GTA San Andreas in the sandbox does it?

in the compartment of fun I compare a infected cyst to GTA San Andreas
in all other compartments nothing can be compared with such a level of stupidity

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Funny "review", but this is the best sandbox since Saints Row2 (at least to me).
If you have a slight interest in asia movies, brawlers and/or open world games give this game a chance. I haven`t noticed any bugs at all and it`s the first game that manages to get shooting AND driving right.

Be warned contains story spoilers (even a single huge one):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idMCtgA3lzQ&feature=showob
(two best friends:sleeping dogs)

My only downside are the so called dates since they don`t really fit into the pretty solid writing of dialogue and story ("You`re such a bad, bad boy" urgh,my toenails just rolled up).

Joriss

Dec 27, 2011
Balkan said:
Joriss said:
So Yatzee, Darksiders 2 next week yes?
He mentioned it in extra punc , so most probably .Also there is fuck all coming out this mounth .Darksiders 1 is still the funniest review that yz has done .
Reason the more I want to see him review Darksiders II hehe...

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
mjc0961 said:
Because the jetpack in San Andreas was a slow piece of shit that was made completely redundant by the far more awesome military fighter jet that takes off and lands like a helicopter but flies around the map like an airplane.
A. You're surprised that the various planes were faster than a jetpack? And you say that this is an issue?
B. Called "VTOL [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTOL]"; the plane was a Harrier Jump Jet [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrier_Jump_Jet].
C. Nevermind the fact that the jetpack is meant for small excursions and can get you around buildings and tight corners - clearly the jets, all larger than a semi, can do that too.

mjc0961 said:
And Saints Row The Third DID have one of those.
Irrelevant to the conversation; it isn't a jetpack.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
I let out a genuine guffaw at the part where the game is holding a revolver too Yahtzee's head forcing him too sing "Can't Live Without You" by Mariah Carey. xD
First good long laugh I've had in a while with ZP.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
Maybe it's called Sleeping Dogs because if you let your guard down, Hong Kong will eat you alive.
I'm sure there's a joke in there about how long a dog can stay alive in china before ending up on someone's plate...

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
MelasZepheos said:
Urgh.

I want a cop sandbox game! I want to be a detective in a city like San Andreas or Stillwater, chasing after these homicidal bad guys and being penalised for killing the wrong people and being too brutal! We had it back in the 90s/early 00s with the SWAT games, so why not now?

Very funny review as always.
Because HARD MEN MAKE HARD DECISIONS!

"Rainbow Six now kills cops and civilians instead prioritizing civilians over objective."

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
San Andreas was the last GTA I really enjoyed but I must admit I do like the look of this game.

Maybe it's because it is in a different location etc.

Great review either way!

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Can they please just tune the ending credits down so they match the rest of the video? I got to the end of the video and got blasted out of my chair by the sound waves before I could finish reading the text at the end.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Therumancer said:
Hmmm, the only thing that surprises me here is given the focus on hand to hand combat (to begin with at least) it's not being compared to say Yakuza as opposed to GTA. I haven't played it yet, but from the descriptions it sounds a LOT more like Yakuza than GTA, especially given the mention of mini-games like Karaoke.

I'll also say that "Saint's Row" seems to have taken the sandbox insanity crown, where "Grand Theft Auto" has gone in the "realistic" direction. That said while you have jet bikes in SR 3, you don't yet have Jet Packs. I'll also admit that they kind of ruined a lot of the insanity by making the world a bit too silly, as many have said, the insanity works best when the world plays straight man for you (so to speak).
Did Yakuza allow you to carjack & drive around recklessly? Maybe that's why Sleeping Dogs (why NOT True Crime: Hong Kong?) is a GTA clone. Unless Sleeping Dogs has insanely long, slow-paced cutscenes, too.

PoorCollegeLad said:
Was the spiders on fire barrel a subtle nod to the LRR video Fear Itself? I do certainly hope so, but probably just a coincidence.
It probably is, since LRR and Yahtzee worked together on a couple of things.