VMK said:
TheIronRuler said:
VMK said:
Balkan said:
She said
I despise you !
and btw the funnyest ZP in a year .
TheIronRuler said:
Lol, I understood what the Russian girl said, "I despise you".
"I hate you" actually.
LIES! Did you use google translate?
I used litlle thingy called "native tongue".
You see, I am from Ukraine and, for many centuries we were, let's say, slaves of Russian Empire, so we had to learn their language.
Today, average ukrainian knows at least two languages: Ukrainian and Russian (unlike average russian, who mastered only a single tongue, he-he).
....I'm Ukranian, well, was, now I'm in Israel.
So...
Yeah.

alpha0924

Mar 12, 2011
I like how the "bullets" are actually the brass of the rifle cartridge without any bullet whatsoever. Subtle.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
iblis666 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Terramax said:
canadamus_prime said:
trollpwner said:
canadamus_prime said:
You jerk off to Disney Princesses?
Frankly, who doesn't? Rule 34, my friend, it's a horrific, disgusting and wrong wonderful thing that every human who doesn't have a one single shred of dignity and deserves to die should see.
Um... well I don't.
You've never lived.
Yeah well while the Disney Princesses may be hot they aren't worth risking further scars to my brain for.
cant believe Yahtzee still does that, i mean i stopped doing that at 15 and 10 years later have moved on to way way way more sick, twisted, and disgusting things
Um... whatever floats your boat I guess. o_0

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
Big_Isaac said:
what bothers me is how lazy this whole thing is

Nazisploitation is what it is
the devs were unable to come up with an original setting and villain, so they just made it WW2 and Nazis. it's the laziest you can possibly get as a writer. they don't have to tell any backstory or exposition, because everyone knows that nazis are bad
Player: uhm, why should I care?
Dev: those guys are Nazis
Player: alright BAM BAM BAM

why are you killing people in this game?
because the hero has a personal motivation to kill them? no
because the story writes a villain that is hatable (like that Nazi guy in Indiana Jones)? no
you kill them purely because they're Nazis and Nazis are bad. how shallow is that?
Which is doubly messed up when you realize that the Nazis that were guilty of crimes against humanity got cushy jobs waiting for them in the States.

MonkeyPunch

Feb 20, 2008
ravenshrike said:
He wasn't so much a sniper as a stone cold badass who occasionally killed people with a sniper rifle. He had quite a few more kills with a submachine gun than with a rifle.
Not that that was really the actual point of my post, but the majority of his kills were indeed with his sniper rifle.
Confirmed sniper kills: 505
Estimated number of submachine gun kills: ~200

The Crazy Legs

Nov 11, 2011
MonkeyPunch said:
ravenshrike said:
He wasn't so much a sniper as a stone cold badass who occasionally killed people with a sniper rifle. He had quite a few more kills with a submachine gun than with a rifle.
Not that that was really the actual point of my post, but the majority of his kills were indeed with his sniper rifle.
Confirmed sniper kills: 505
Estimated number of submachine gun kills: ~200
... Enlighten me; of whom (How often do we see THAT word on the Escapist?) are you speaking?

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Ah the nazis, still being comedy badguys and belittling all the terrible things they did with every new release.
Still, the Russian national anthem is pretty good.

jp201

Nov 24, 2009
Fairly disappointed he never brought up the most innovative part of the game, testicle explosion nut shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1e_J2FUB3xw

Mabster

May 8, 2011
I tried the demo. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the silly over the top kill-cam. It seems so out of place in a game that is otherwise pretty serious and humorless, like if George C. Scott wore a clown nose all the way through Patton with no explanation at all.

The Crazy Legs said:
... Enlighten me; of whom (How often do we see THAT word on the Escapist?) are you speaking?
The man in question is Simo Häyhä [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4].

searock

May 25, 2012
Big_Isaac said:
oh goody another game where you get to mow down legions of Germans and not have to feel guilty about it just because they're "nazis"
as a German, I'm really getting tired of this crap. how many more freaking WW2 shooters do we need? I GET IT, we Germans were the villains back then and Hitler's historical demonization is more than deserved, but murdering hundreds of German soldiers won't change anything.
you know what the difference between a "Nazi" soldier and an ally solider was back then? the direction their guns were pointing.
that's ****ing it.
you're not fighting Hitler, Himmler or Goebbels in those games. you're fighting normal people who are defending their homeland.
nothing more.
you might as well control a nazi sniper and kill ally soldiers and it would be the same bloody thing, except for the the whole nazi stigma.
I feel your pain, mate. I'm an arab so I know what it's like to have your people demonized thanks to the actions of a few/history events.

I'd love to play a game where the villains are the American settlers who pretty much massacred the Native Americans. But you know... America FUCK YEAH!

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
To be fair, russians(not all russians obviously, just as not ALL germans were nazis and antisemites back then - the relative minority were, but they were the ones with the powwah) were just as bad as nazis during WWII(not to mention afterwards, right up until the fall of the USSR, basically - again, I am referring to the minority in power, not the majority of people), only they didn't single out a specific group of people... they just performed many bad things on everyone, including their own citizens, i.e sending people to Siberia as punishment and so on. Oh yes and the war crimes, which were more or less comparable to what the germans did (again, except they didn't single out a single group of people - equal opportunists in terms of genocide).

If any of you don't believe me (and you shouldn't, not without proof), just look it up in various historical publications.

Had to get that out of the way.

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
Erm I think the reason Russians are so demonized in the game is because Stalininist USSR was as bad as Nazi Germany, and successive regimes up until Gorbachev made improvements but never really did get out of the whole insanity.

searock

May 25, 2012
The Japanese military were terrible during WWII. The warcrimes comitted by them were inhuman. Many claim that Japan had more war crimes and victims than Germany.

inquisiti0n

Feb 25, 2011
It genuinely bothered me when I imagined that the Russian soldiers the game tells you to shoot at could've fought in Stalingrad and survived one of the bloodiest battles in history, only to be killed by some camping wanker for morally dubious purposes.

=HCFS=Discoman

Jan 1, 2010
Maybe he might prefer that new Red Orchestra WWII game in Stalingrad. Shoot nazis or Russians, drive tanks, bleed to death from a bullet fired by a sniper you never spotted, and your teammates couldn't show you, because they are all dead too.
On second thought...

MaddKossack115

Jul 29, 2013
Once again, Yahtzee knocks several jokes out of the park with this one, like when he complains about needing to switch to his binoculars to mark targets when his sniper scope could've done the same thing ("YOU STRIPEY FUCK!!!" (Gets dragged off by an Imp)).

However, while his rant about the Russians being shoehorned in as the main villains was by far the second funniest gag on the list (second only to the last joke, which can only be seen to be believed), I honestly think it's more justified in this case than making a bunch of "ultranationalists" take over Russia so the Cold War-nostalgia market can live out their fantasies of shooting up Moscow.

For instance, while the US and USSR actually WERE allies at this point, it was mostly because those fuckin' Nazis had it in for both of them. I know it might come as a surprise to Yahtzee, but capitalist nations never were "allies" (in the sense of genuine friendship, not teeth-clenched teamwork) with communist nations, going all the way back to when Europe tried to support movements to get rid of the nascent Soviet government under Lenin. And while that and later shady and subversive movements against the USSR during the Cold War were, well, shady and subversive, they were justified by the USSR being as shady and subversive right back, even if not to the extent that Cold War propaganda on our side made them out to be.

And while the WW2 Soviets have undergone a recent bit of romanticism for being the guys to REALLY hammer the Third Reich down, they were also the most likely to have launched an attack on Western Europe and the United States. For one thing, Stalin was by far the most brutal and aggressive of all the Soviet Union leaders, to the point Khrushchev made a point of "De-Stalinization" (I.E. exposing the atrocities under Stalin's rule, and tearing down the image he had built during his reign) just to disassociate Communism from him. Relations between the USSR and the west had been rapidly deteriorating prior to WW2, and if it wasn't for Fascism literally jumping into the middle of their conflict, it would've been likely that WW2 would've been waged between Western Europe and Russia (the original Red Alert made it the major plot point, with Einstein erasing Hitler from history to prevent WW2, only for Stalin to launch an all-out invasion of Europe in 1949).

And the major plot point of the story (which is given in a cutscene Yahtzee has apparently elected to skim over) is that it really is a prelude to the actual Cold War, with both Allies and Soviets looking to the V2 program as a way to fight the next war they mutually felt was inevitable (the sniper's ending monologue even straight-up says that this marked the START of the Cold War... and that he was "it's first soldier"): again, it does seem dodgier than straight up taking on Nazis, but it at least has more realistic, historical context than having the Soviet Union essentially come back from the grave in the modern era, and then have them rip off Red Dawn (except for the parts that made it cool).