Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

sunhawk

Jul 8, 2009
I bought both Galaxy games and I wholeheartedly agree with Yahtzee's criticisms of the game. I also agree with the 1 teensy bit of praise that he gave the game and it's why I feel like SMG 2 was a worthwhile purchase. Yahtzee said it was FUN to play, and honestly isn't that what playing games is about?
Also Yahtzee seems to have confused the numbers 5 and 8 in regards to The Simpsons, but is otherwise correct.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
What I'm tripping on is why people look for something that isn't there.

Complaining that mario has no plot is like complaining that MW2 has no silly gibs. Its a serious-setting game so its for people who like realistic-type graphics. Mario is a platformer and the story was always the same, there isn't going to be abetrayal, character death, or other plot elements in a mario game any time soon.

I think people are forgetting that the game just good old fun like mario games always are, if you want a story driven game play Final Fantasy. Though I have to mention that most people here haven't really played a mario game after Super Mario world.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Mmmm, cake.

Anyway, I have not completed the first Super Mario Galaxy but I have strange, perhaps down right delusional confidence I will complete it someday, which in short means I should get around to completing Galaxy 2 when we get Yahtzee's previous idea of Super Mario Space-Time Continuum.

On a side note, yes the Simpsons should have finished long ago but not by season 5, I'd go up to 8 or 9.

Joe_Fitzsimmons

Oct 5, 2009
i dont get why people keep blaming nintendo for constantly remaking thier franchises, its the consumers fault, if people are still buying it then they're gonna keep selling it, thery're a buiness for christsake. its just saying its wrong to sell fat people Mcdonalds, if they're dumb enough to buy it then sell it to them.

wkrepelin

Apr 28, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
wkrepelin said:
snipped myself (insert self circumcision joke here)
You're new here, aren't you? As he said a while back, praising a game isn't funny.
First, nice screen name. Great book/movie. (Would like to see a film version of Choke)

Second, his review of Psychonauts was funny. (That is the review he and, I assume, you are referencing)

Third, a game can be praised in funny ways as well and there are legitimate things to criticize in any game so that covers both bases.

Fourth and finally, while you weren't overtly rude you could come of as a bit elitist and unwelcoming. If you really think someone is so new to the escapist as to not have a good idea of what goes on around here then you may want to be a little friendlier. Really though, you weren't over the top about it and I don't mean to be a jerk myself. I have no problem with you and don't preceive any problem you have with me. I just wanted to point out that without the aid of vocal inflection and such your comment could be interpreted as unfriendly.

Cheers and best to you.

EDIT: typo

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
At no point did he say SMG2 was a bad game, a telling point. He said it was the same game as SMG as well as having other things "homaged" wholesale from previous Mario titles. So, I did enjoy SMG, I probably won't play SMG2 if there's genuinely nothing new beyond a spaceship. Time to go and check out some less sharp reviews and see what they might have to say.

May 25, 2010
Roflcopter419 said:
Decabo said:
Yahtzee... they made ONE. FUCKING. SEQUEL. You act like this is Super Mario Galaxy 76 or something. Is this really all you had to carry the review?
Apparently. He does like to accentuate negative points to make it seem like there aren't any positives.
The positives are starting to get really hard to spot. All I see is the same plot, same gameplay, same characters and it gets really boring really fast. With about 10 Mario games available for current generation systems and god knows how many before them (I lost count long ago) I'm starting to think that Nintendo is paying every reviewer and player into claiming that Mario is the best thing the industry has going for it right now. It's almost sad that Nintendo can get away with this shit for 27 years in a row.

And just like Yahtzee said, if you want to buy and play the same game every 1-2 years then by all means give away your money so it can be added to the official Nintendo money pile.

adam5396

Feb 12, 2010
You know, I liked the game quite abit, but I'll agree with pretty much everything said. The only reason I even got it was because my mind was very blank the day of release and I didn't care for story. Of course, being me I got 120 stars in 48 hours. but that's sort of habit now.

And about the advice...That's a good idea, I think I'll try rock climbing =).

domicius

Apr 2, 2008
Ah, Starman and Major Tom. I guess there's life on mars after all.

Also, the text adventure part was just sublime

Gibbman

Mar 25, 2009
who the heck cares about the story in a mario game? you complain about the most pointless things ever in a game. i was starting to worry that you were making a review before the game actually came out because most of the stuff you talk about has already been said in previous videos about mario games and you just needed something for this weeks video.

Carnagath

Apr 18, 2009
Yahtzee is really grasping at straws here, looking for a story in a Mario platformer and for new characters (let's all make Sonic's mistake, yay). Long story short, Galaxy 2 is the best, most refined platformer ever made. There are new toys to play with and small surprises every couple of minutes, the quality of the level design and the level of polish are stellar. Of course, polish only gets acknowledged by Yahtzee if your name is Valve and your game is called Team Fortress 2, being the huge fanboy that he is. I expected him to touch on issues that actually exist, like the lives system that NEEDS TO GO AWAY FOREVER, or the massive jump in difficulty that happens when you uncover the many different layers of the game (Prankster comets and beyond), but yeah, let's cry about the story and the fact that you can't play as a Toad. Sigh...

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Wow.....I guess I'm the only one here that was disappointed by this review. It was incredibly predictable and spent the first half going on about things that anybody who didn't entirely disassemble the packaging upon receiving the game, didn't even notice. MG2 is fantastic, and if you buy a Mario game expecting to be driven around by some kind of epic story, then maybe you're the audience that needs to watch the dvd on how to play. Why would anyone in their right mind want Mario to be given a story? The game's not even supposed to make sense!! All a story would do is add restrictions to the amazingly creative level design which Yahtzee failed to mention, and make the player question every single level in the game for it's practicality. Same goes for all you out there who want voice-overs in a Zelda game. Whats wrong with you? Use your imagination. Are you not clear on what makes a video game fun and what separates it from other forms of media?

Nihlex

Jun 30, 2009
Awesome review as always, it made me feel special because I have the same blanket!

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I think the franchise is in trouble when the next installment is called, Super Mario Déja Vu: The Nostalgia Adventures. Ooh! And the menu system will be a scrapbook of previous Mario games, and the levels will be updated versions of those games! Nintendo should pay me for coming up with ideas, instead of that tosser, Miyamoto.

(That last sentence was meant to be satirical. I mean no disrespect to the man who aided forging my childhood.)

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I really liked this review. I thought it was quite amusing. One of his best in awhile, IMO.

However, when I did play SMG2 myself I enjoyed it quite a bit. But who takes Yahtzee's review as a 100% accurate account of what it is like to play the game? I know I don't.