Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

May 25, 2010
Roflcopter419 said:
I'm not even going to bother arguing against that. If you think parroting Yahtzee automatically makes you right, go ahead.
That's what you think this is? Quoting Yahtzee to seem like some sort of genius? Hell no. I sometimes agree with Yahtzee, other times I don't. Yahtzeehas nothing to do with this. But really I've always wondered what it's like being a Mario fan. Sonic fans have been pretty strange, but Mario fans are more interesting for me. Do they keep playing the games because of nostalgia? Nintendo is masterful at remastering their games so perhaps it's a blast to the past for them? Or is it some sort of obligation for them, a way of thanking Nintendo for making some good games a long time ago and continuing making them over and over again for more years than I've been alive? To be honest, I don't know. Mario games are probably some of the most generic and unenjoyable platformers out there. And that's not because they're bad. It's because they're not trying to be different from each other. And that is very boring to me. Ratchet and Clank is better, Little Big Planet is better, Banjo Kazooie is better, Sly Cooper is better. You're gonna have to enlighten me as to what drives you to play these games, because I honestly have no clue.

dennett316

Jun 30, 2010
He wants Nintendo to create some new characters - what's so hard to understand? Why not try something new with the story beyond "Princess kidnapped, must rescue"? The story of a platform game is pretty unimportant, but at least pretend that you're making an effort you know?
Also, this is the first Mario game in a while which is so blatantly lazy. It's the exact same concept and game mechanics, with some new levels. 64 to Sunshine? Different. Sunshine to Galaxy? Different. Galaxy to Galaxy 2? $$$$$$$$
Not saying the game isn't fun - as Yahtzee himself mentioned - but it is their laziest effort in quite some time....no change in mechanics or style. How about a new 3D platformer with new mechanics in a new art style? That's what Yahtzee wants, Nintendo to stop falling back on Mario to bail them out when criticism arises about them neglecting their core users.

martin's a madman

Aug 20, 2008
Blue-State said:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

Sorry but I had to get that out of the way. That's some good advice at the end: Go out and do something you've never done before. That applies to everyone, not just Mario fans.
The Simpsons rock.

generic9

Jul 14, 2010
Okay, first off before I start complaining about this review by a man set out to make the game look as bad as possible, let me define what I think a good sequel is. A good sequel to a game adds to what was important to the previous one. Like I think the Ratchet and Clank sequels were done okay because they added to what was very important: the weapons; and this Mario game adds to what was important: levels and power-ups. The things yahtzee complains about in this game are so stupid. Like how he complains about the new world selection. Why? It works great in the game. Not only that, it's honestly a very small part. Two, yahtzee complains about the Throwback Galaxy because Super Mario 64 hasn't aged well. This makes no sense, as whether or not 64 has aged well is irrelevant. You play that level with Super Mario Galaxy 2 controls; and the level is really fun (which yahtzee would know if he played it). Also yahtzee makes it seem like the developers run out of ideas while making it; I guess he forgot to notice there's like 40 new levels in it, with out a single one that you can really call uncreative. Yahtzee really was scraping to the bottom of the barrel to find anything to complain about in this game, and it leads me to believe that all he did was play the game for ten minutes, find other reviews for it, copy the most common complaints, and then make a review. Seriously, if anybody wants to know what the quality of the game is, go find other reviews because this one is pretty stupid. Now, let me get something else clear, I don't disagree with him solely because he doesn't like the game, I disagree with him because all his reasons for doing so are unfounded.

Edit: I don't want to insult anybody, but there are so many comments in this thread that are just dum. Seeing a bunch anti-Nintendo-fanboys congregate is just as painful as seeing a bunch of Nintendo-fanboys congregate. Also, people seem to care more about how funny yahtzee is rather than accurate. If he said, " Age of Empires 2 is a first-person shooter where you play as ass butt doo-doo violence sex offenisive insult insult ass insult rape insult" some of these people would think it is good review.

Jed Petty

Mar 27, 2010
wkrepelin said:
Eh, not his funniest video but pretty good. It seems like he had some problems finding stuff to gripe aboud and ended up meandering a bit.

I, personally, loved Mario Galaxy 2 and it ranks among the best platformers that I've ever played and I've been playing since 1983. I don't know if he really didn't like it or not but I wish he wasn't stuck doing hate filled reviews all the time. I'm sure Yahtzee can do more that's funny than just spew bile. That being said maybe he really didn't like it but I'd reccommend it to anyone who has access to a Wii . . . I said "Wii."

EDIT1: Typo

EDIT2: Interestingly this Mario game does have some continuity if you play to the end. I'm not saying it has more continuity than another Mario title but I don't even remember another title having as much as is in the final scene.
Lol the only reason he meandered was because he already reviewed the game.. in the form of the first mario galaxy!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
But he did seem that he was complaining when he was talking about the gameplay? If it ain't broke, don't fix it, or something along those lines.
I think the point he was trying to make was that the gameplay was originally broken, and that they didn't fix it.

CopperKat

Sep 30, 2009
This is the best one you've done in a long time. Probably since you started reviewing things when they come out.

reluctantDog

Jan 11, 2010
Maybe I'm stuck in the realms of nintendo fanboyism but the worst thing about the first game was that it only had 120 actual stars.

That's why I'm glad they made a sequel. At first it may seem as though they haven't added many new ideas but the diversity they manage to squeeze out of the simple run and jump formula.

The Mario series is really the only pure platformer remaining on the market and a reskin won't improve anything.

I'm glad nintendo have the balls to deal with all the ignorant fps fan criticisms and to keep doing what they do best. I absolutely agree with the 10/10 reviews, the game is wonderful.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
I sure could go for some cake with the member of the opposite sex. I've never understood the fun of platforms they usually just make me rage quit.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
I have to say this is the best review so far, and I thought the Simpsons stopped being funny at around Seasons 11 & 12, then started getting better.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
I think the cake joke was pretty clever. Slapping part was funny. I can't believe people still crave for Mario. The last Mario I played was more than 10 years ago on Nintendo 64.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
dennett316 said:
He wants Nintendo to create some new characters - what's so hard to understand? Why not try something new with the story beyond "Princess kidnapped, must rescue"? The story of a platform game is pretty unimportant, but at least pretend that you're making an effort you know?
But that's the thing: Ultimately, the story in a core Mario game is just the excuse to make the stages. Why should they pretend otherwise?

Also, this is the first Mario game in a while which is so blatantly lazy. It's the exact same concept and game mechanics, with some new levels. 64 to Sunshine? Different.
Funny, that's not what people were saying when Sunshine came out...

Not saying the game isn't fun - as Yahtzee himself mentioned - but it is their laziest effort in quite some time....no change in mechanics or style. How about a new 3D platformer with new mechanics in a new art style? That's what Yahtzee wants, Nintendo to stop falling back on Mario to bail them out when criticism arises about them neglecting their core users.
Because that's not what they were trying to make. They made this game literally because they felt like they wanted to do more with the concept they had. That's why it's called Galaxy 2 and not Super Mario Universe or something like that.

ImprovizoR said:
I think the cake joke was pretty clever. Slapping part was funny. I can't believe people still crave for Mario. The last Mario I played was more than 10 years ago on Nintendo 64.
People still crave Mario because the games are fun. Despite Yahtzee's disagreement with Nintendo's game-making policy and his grudge against the Wii's very existence, even he had to admit that.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
Is it wrong for me to say that I enjoyed this game more than the first?
And I know I'm not the only one who enjoys hearing Yatzhee yelling out "SUPER MARIO GALAXY!"

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
My opinion is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Yahtzee is a big fan of stories in games anyway, although I would expect him to be a wee bit more professional than just brushing over that whole GAMEPLAY thing that people seem to bang on about.

Kingofblades2278

Feb 21, 2008
I'm beginning to find his nintendo game reviews to be highly ironic. He constantly rehashes his old rants about them rehashing their franchises. You could say that he puts a new spin on it every game, but so does Nintendo with their games, including in the transition from SMG1 to SMG2. He who fights monsters....

LightspeedJack

May 2, 2010
No way the Simpsons jumped the shark around season 9, some of the episodes in series 7 are downright genius.
OT: Yahtzee raises some compelling points but the big thing I hated about this game was Comet Coins. It's like someone taking a delicious cookie and smearing mustard on the top.