Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy 2

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
G2 easily beat the original as my favorite game of all time, but that's not to say that this review still wasn't hilarious. I cracked up at the *slap slap slap* part.

VMerken

Sep 12, 2007
Mario games aren't exactly mental floss for the thinkbox, which is why currently I tend to steer away from the franchise after having taken in the concept on the NES (and then went on to play the vastly superior Giana Sisters on the c64 tee hee) and focus on games that lay a little more virtual meat on the table. Plenty of choice out there. Still, as a game, the concept is solid, just like Monopoly or Yahtzee hur hur; not exactly mental flosses either, but great games nonetheless. The series thus has a deserved place in human history.

Loved him in Donkey Kong, by the way. The little guy's finest hour, without doubt. Hmm, just how high did I go again...

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
This review was a life advice.

Sky diving, asking for cake, picking an ice cream flavor that isn't cream or chocolate...

Zanaxal

Nov 14, 2007
mmmmm cake.

I was really confused at this review. Was it a review of cake or of something else.

Now then. I haven't played Mario since it was on a grey dvd case sized cartridge, happily enjoying my memories of mario 2 and 3 anything after that well, .. just isn't Mario and just a money grabbing from fanbase imo. Mario in 3d just looked so like something a 5 yold girl would enjoy and the difficulty was probably along the same line, im quite troubled that adults actually play these games, they probably need more cake.

If you must play these games i would never get a mario, i would go for crash bandicoot or whiplash etc. alot more innovative and fresh i would wager.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Despite what ZP has said, I have this game and apart from a lack of story, it is a really good game, recommended for every and any Wii owner :)

akkuma420

Jul 14, 2010
Blue-State said:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show. If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"

I'm usually just a free bee watcher, never had any intention of making a profile...... until i saw your comment.
I couldn't agree with you more about "That 70's Show" but couldn't agree with you less about "The Simpsons"
The new seasons are just TERRIBLE..... for me personally they feel completely un-watchable.
Seasons 1-9 are pure gold, they had actual plot development, there where morals at the end of each episode, they had heart.
The new seasons are just trying to appeal to the Family Guy generation, which makes me sad, i grew up with the Simpsons and never thought i would see the day it became slap stick humor.
The couch gags are stupid, almost all the voice actors have left, the writing is just plan awful.
The Simpsons needed to hang it up 10 years ago, its just becoming an embarrassment now.
You say you can barely watch the old episodes because they look old and sound quality is poor? Your missing out on alot of great TV shows and movies then.

Sorry but I had to get that out of the way. That's some good advice at the end: Go out and do something you've never done before. That applies to everyone, not just Mario fans.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
You know what? I'm fucking sick to death of people accusing Nintendo of milking their franchises. I'm sorry, but releasing a new game in a series once per fucking hardware cycle is not milking a franchise. And fuck you for saying it is.

That being said, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is milking the franchise a bit. You know what though? Frankly, I think they might just have decided fuck it. People are accusing them of this stupid bullshit anyway, they may as well actually do it and make some extra money in the process. All the idiots claiming that releasing a new Mario game ever 4 years when the hardware actually allows them to do new things is somehow unreasonable are gonna buy the stupid thing because they're all psychotically OCD, and lots of other people will genuinely enjoy it, so why the fuck not?

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
The Great JT said:
However, I have to say something to people who take Yahtzee's reviews as the main deciding factor in your purchases: How stupid are you? Yes, Yahtzee's a critic/QA man/reviewer/whatever he wants to call himself in a review on a given week, and yes, the reviews are as informative about what the game will entail as they are funny. However, his taste in games and (I assume) yours may not be one in the same.
This is true for every review/reviewer. People should get to their own conclusions and use reviews or ZP videos or whatever to help get to their conclusions, not as substitute for thinking.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Zanaxal said:
mmmmm cake.

I was really confused at this review. Was it a review of cake or of something else.

Now then. I haven't played Mario since it was on a grey dvd case sized cartridge, happily enjoying my memories of mario 2 and 3 anything after that well, .. just isn't Mario and just a money grabbing from fanbase imo. Mario in 3d just looked so like something a 5 yold girl would enjoy and the difficulty was probably along the same line, im quite troubled that adults actually play these games, they probably need more cake.

If you must play these games i would never get a mario, i would go for crash bandicoot or whiplash etc. alot more innovative and fresh i would wager.
Just because you're an adult doesn't mean you should only play M/A/18 games, it can be fun to play a childish and cartoony game once in a while. Also both SMG1 and SMG2 start pretty easy but then get much harder, by the end many of the levels are truly evil.

As for all those claiming that the Mario series never changes, you're wrong. I've played SM64, Sunshine and both the Galaxies, and they're all very different (although the two Galaxies are somewhat similar), apart from the fact that they are all platformers. Also note that my fan-hood is not down to nostalgia, as I only started gaming in 2003!

Ramzeltron

Jul 10, 2010
Yeah, this was another great episode. But I tend to fall in line with the people who say "If it ain't broke don't fix it." so I quite enjoyed the game. Oh, and the slapping was hilarious.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Wow. That slapping part I did not expect, actually.

And wait, "cake" = "sex"? I thought "pie" = "sex"... I'm confused, someone please help?

Warforger

Apr 24, 2010
The game is targeted at kids who eat Nintendo's shit daily.

Blue-State said:
Great episode BUT....
What is it with all this dumping on the Simpsons lately? Not just Yahtzee but I've seen elsewhere on the internet as well; Simpsons is stagnating. It hasn't been good since the fifth season? they had barely established the character voices by then! It is hard for me to actually watch the old seasons because the animation is so crap and the sound quality is so terrible compared to what it is now. It's miles ahead of the competition: Family Guy, American Dad, Cleveland Show.
Your serious? I didn't find much of the new stuff funny.

Blue-State said:
If you want to talk about degrading in quality, how about the last season of "That 70's Show"
You can't blame the writers for that show,it was because at that point two of the main characters were pursuing their own careers so they couldn't show up (i.e. Topher Grace aka Eric Foreman was playing Venom in Spiderman 3 and Ashton Kutcher was doing what he was doing) they got one guy who replaced Eric Foreman but when he became the lead character on another show he had to die off, they couldn't find a good replacement for the village idiot and never did, but they found a guy who was like Eric but had no flaws making him boring.

standokan

May 28, 2009
Couldn't they just make a new boss like donkey kong or a skeleton bowser, anyhow i don't like to relate 'cake' to bowser, i mean like how..he's a..and..it's just bwergh, but then again toad would be worse.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Wow. That really was a notch above the reviews lately.
However, little anecdote that made it particularly funny for me:

I laughed so hard my boss (who was walking by-- I need to close my office door when I watch ZP, even if I DO have headphones) came over to see what I was doing, I showed her the vid. She thought it was hysterical too (although she did comment that Yoshi's return is a positive, no matter what anyone says).

Later, we went to the breakroom together while we were talking about a project; turns out it was someone's birthday, so we go through the door to be confronted by... CAKE! We both stopped in our tracks, looked at each other, and started laughing until we were in tears.

For his part in that surreal experience, I thank Yahtzee.

Oh, and I particularly liked the 'Go to a football match, get drunk, and glass somebody' suggestion.

EDIT: oh yeah, I do disagree, like so many others, about the Simpsons. There were some great episodes through Season 8--- like "You Only Move Twice", a personal fave.

But yeah, the decline definitely at least started about the time Conan left the show.