Zero Punctuation: Super Mario Galaxy

RentCavalier

Dec 17, 2007
He was pretty positive on this game, which is good because I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who could HATE this game. I mean, from what little I've played, it's basically just pure, condensed FUN.

Be that as it may, I'm fully in Yahtzee's boat when it comes to new franchises being made. Sure, I love Zelda and Metroid and Mario, but of those three only Metroid has truly innovated itself in the past five years, and that was two games ago--the sequels have only improved upon the initial innovation, not changed it further, and none of the actual bad stuff has been removed, so it would be duly nice to have a new Nintendo franchise prop up, akin to how Warioware worked, but go even further, give us a BRAND NEW universe/characters to explore and leave Mario alone for awhile.

I mean, Miyamoto's already getting bored of the series,seeing as how his most exciting project (in his eyes) is a board that you can step on and off of.

Wee.

the_pearson_person

Sep 6, 2007
LOL best review for some time! I loved it!

On Facebook? Join the Zero Punctuation Appreciation Society here:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6725770567

njsykora

Sep 11, 2007
Nintendo creating a new franchise and having it be as successful as Zelda, Metroid and Mario have been is like me having sex with Rafael Nadal.

I'd love it to happen, but we all know its extremely unlikely.

And I'd rather be a butthurt Nintendrone than a Halo player.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
I thought the review was disgusting, terrible, and unfair, and Yahtzee should be ashamed of himself for creating such a repulsive video. It completely undermined all the positive aspects of the game and featured the always vain Yahtzee blabbering away (practically whining) about some tiny flaw that wouldn't be at all noticable to the attention of any normal person. In his attempt to make every review negative, he has completely destroyed any integrity he has, and this review is only more evidence that NO ONE should even attempt to take his "reviews" seriously.

So basically, it was another great episode of Zero Punctuation. Keep it up, man.

8Track

Dec 28, 2007
AK3515 said:
notice how all the spinoffs are not originals, we're up to about mario party 8 and i think the 5th mario kart game.
all the spinoffs take elements from other games and/or are the same old bullshit with a new number at the end of the name.
Execpt that even as spin-offs, they're all great stand alone titles.

The guy is paid to give a negative review of a game.
Even in this review, he points out he enjoyed the game and played it to the end, and then forces himself to find negative points, which consisted of taking apart the franchise, instead of providing a review of the game with some shred of journalism and intelligent thought.

And as for "Wow I thought I was the only 4chan lurker". 1&2.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I have no qualms with the review, but I am growing weary of the Yahtzee review style.

His voice is certainly distinct, but that distinction relies on too many repeating gags. It starts to feel as if he can't create a review without forcing the inclusion of the same humorous elements week after week. It is as if there is a compulsive need to be humorous, and when that happens the content becomes not unlike a late night talk show host's monologue - formulaic.

It is an odd statement to make about a review, but I would venture to say that to have seen one Zero Punctuation episode is to have seen them all.

Black Ice

Dec 6, 2007
I really don't enjoy this game. It's just so boring from the 30 minutes I've played of it, and not even Yahtzee finds anything wrong with it so I suppose I'll give it another go.

In his video he sounds really sad and tired, I'm surprised no one else has commented on this.

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
tendo82 said:
I have no qualms with the review, but I am growing weary of the Yahtzee review style.

His voice is certainly distinct, but that distinction relies on too many repeating gags. It starts to feel as if he can't create a review without forcing the inclusion of the same humorous elements week after week. It is as if there is a compulsive need to be humorous, and when that happens the content becomes not unlike a late night talk show host's monologue - formulaic.

It is an odd statement to make about concerning a review, but I would venture to say that to have seen one Zero Punctuation episode is to have seen them all.
I don't think he recycles his gags that much, the only thing i can complaint about, is how it sounds like he made it 6 AM, 1. january, after a new year party with Jack Daniels and friends.

thebrink

Dec 5, 2007
still waiting for Crysis....but PC gamers only exist in fairy tales so I guess that's to be expected. Honestly this is the first video to bore me. I just don't like the Nintendo reviews at all (I bought a Wii before finally getting a 360, back off fanbois) because you can trod on the stuff that _everyone_ knows Nintendo is guilty of. There's none of the stuff that is truely funny because making a joke about how many Mario games he saves Peach in isn't very funny, it's the sad truth that we're all used to and mostly, accept. If Mario DIDN'T save Peach then I think the earth would tremble and japan would sink into the ocean.

btw I love Yahtzee's reviews still, I just think it's stupid he has to review Nintendo games just cause everyone owns a Wii, this is like MST3K, you don't HAVE to bash the latest Cohen Bros film because it just came out and make a joke about John Goodman being in it...

Which BTW is John Goodman in the latest Cohen film?

Lucien21

Jan 2, 2008
Wow, this is getting seriously tiresome.

Is there anything this guy actually likes?

He's not paid for objective reviews, he's paid to rip games to pieces. He revels in the fun of dismantling years of development as he takes one of the games of the year and throws it to the lions, The fevered crowd wait for the carnage.

All hail Caeser.

Wraithfighter

Dec 28, 2007
Not often will I agree totally with Yahtzee's reviews (though I always enjoy them an he often makes good points), but, well, I can't really complain here. I played SMG and, fun though it was, the life counter quickly reached twenty-plus, the camera was wonky as hell, especially since hitting the camera button kept making the camera view having Mario upside down, exactly what I didn't want, and on occasion it made me motion sick.

Also, why do I need a little guy to help me twirl?

And why does Peach keep getting called "My special one?" I thought Nintendo was past the Engrish...

To be fair, though, I think the only platformers whose camera I've actually liked is the PoP series. It's just hard to put together a moving camera for a game that has a constantly changing perspective.

Wraithfighter

Dec 28, 2007
Lucien21 said:
Wow, this is getting seriously tiresome.

Is there anything this guy actually likes?

He's not paid for objective reviews, he's paid to rip games to pieces. He revels in the fun of dismantling years of development as he takes one of the games of the year and throws it to the lions, The fevered crowd wait for the carnage.

All hail Caeser.
Uh, he liked SMG. He just found some faults with aspects of the game, especially how it follows the Mario carbon-copy storyline verbatim.

OmahaRenegade

Dec 20, 2007
Another rambunctious (did I spell that right?) review by ours truely.
My only critisism of the critic: But c'mon! It's Mario :D

Lucien21

Jan 2, 2008
Wraithfighter said:
Uh, he liked SMG. He just found some faults with aspects of the game, especially how it follows the Mario carbon-copy storyline verbatim.
Flattered it with faint praise more like.

Lucien21

Jan 2, 2008
Kwil said:
You do realize that complaining about Yahtzee giving a negative review is like complaining about shoe stores selling shoes.
Hence the reason it's tiresome. Same shit different game.

Wraithfighter

Dec 28, 2007
Lucien21 said:
Flattered it with faint praise more like.
Faint praise is still praise :).

Look, it's a matter of perspective. Most review sites think of an average game as deserving a 7, so you scale their review scores back a bit to compensate. A reviewer makes it known their general disgust of turn-based combat, you pay less attention when they criticize a classical RPG's combat.

And with Yahtzee, any praise at all is akin to another reviewer jumping up and down and saying he loves it.

It's not that he loves putting down flaws in games. It's just that he's an optimist about how good some games can be and he doesn't want the flaws to continue to exist.

I mean, seriously, who is really okay with Mario's cookie cutter stories anymore?