--Take a shot when he makes fun of Nintendo fans in general
--Take a shot when he says Nintendo rehashes their franchises
--Take a shot when he remarks about the Wii U's hardware being underpowered
--Take a shot when he complains about the Wii U gamepad
---Two shots if the game is 100% compatible with the Wii U Pro controller

Let's see how this goes.

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
So it like the Mario music maker thing. Fun time killer but forgotten when something real shows up. Is there anything Nintendo won't put Mario in now?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
The versions in the game aren't just Cosmetic; they completely change how Mario handles:

-You can wall Jump in U.
-You can spin jump in U and World.
-You can carry enemies and items in U, World and 3.
-You can't do any of that in the Original.

Plus each version has different flying power ups (except for the Original, I don't know what power up it has from the top of my mind).

Thanatos2k

Aug 12, 2013
Yeah, trusting other humans to make proper levels is an exercise in madness. You really have to wonder what you expect to find when buying this game. Are you hoping to play more challenging levels than those found in the old games? Do you expect to find out there in the world, someone making BETTER levels than Nintendo did in Mario 3 or Super Mario World? If they did, would other people even know? Half the people playing the game were probably born after Super Mario World came out.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Plus each version has different flying power ups (except for the Original, I don't know what power up it has from the top of my mind).
The original has the mystery mushroom, where they shoved the obligatory amiibo compatibility, no flying powerup at all

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"Double rainbow", says the captcha...
Not 'jumped the shark', which would've worked a tad better.

Thanks for the review. I would append 'as always' to that, but then... you went on vacation last week! :'(

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
I'm not entirely sure what nintendo was aiming for with this game, except maybe, as yahtzee says, a way to finally shut down all of the rom hacks out there. I wonder if they were looking for an excuse to make amiibos from older mario games that they could cash in on.

To be fair, the mario maker level in smash bros is quite a bit of fun: lots of items and it only loops generally every 10 playthroughs or so. Although I was hoping for some sort of mario toolbox in the stage maker. What's that, have I played mario maker? No, why do you ask?

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
The thing is, 2D Mario is meant to be the "bread and butter" of the "3-course meal" of Nintendo games. They're meant to show off new control options while still being awfully familiar to us and easy to develop. It will always be there for a system's launch period.

3D Mario will follow soon after 2D Mario, as 3D Mario is the "appetizer" of Nintendo games. (In this analogy, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, and a new kind of game [i.e. Epic Yarn and Splatoon] form the main course. The Legend of Zelda is the dessert that takes "20 minutes" to bake but oozes with style.)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
marioandsonic said:
Reviewing Super Mario Maker this week?

Well, better get out my "Yahtzee reviews a Mario game" drinking game checklist:

Let's see how this goes.
Actually it was mostly sex jokes and making fun of Mario as a concept. Very little about the WiiU gamepad and only a drop of piss on Nintendo fans in general.

Big_Isaac

May 24, 2012
I don't get why you're automatically attributing every bloody thing Nintendo does with Mario to desperation. His games sell by the truckload every time, so where the hell does desperation come into this? Miyamoto simply said "I wanna do a level editor", so he made a level editor.
Or is the desperation stuff an ironic inversion, in that you've completely run out of jokes to make about Mario so now you're desperate for material? The fact that you reached for the pedophilia joke at the very start of the video certainly makes it seem so.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
marioandsonic said:
Reviewing Super Mario Maker this week?

Well, better get out my "Yahtzee reviews a Mario game" drinking game checklist:

Let's see how this goes.
Doesn't this qualify as cruel and unusual punishment? Or attempted suicide?

Sep 13, 2009
craddoke said:
Thanatos2k said:
craddoke said:
IceStar100 said:
Is there anything Nintendo won't put Mario in now?
Another movie?
Another cartoon series?
The public domain?
Peach?

It's really odd how Mario seems to have come back full circle. They briefly experimented with new gameplay, then decided "Nah, let's just go back and remake the original game". I haven't been able to bring myself to care about a Mario game since Sunshine, although I hear that Galaxy had its merits

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
I've really never understood the charge that releasing a level editor is lazy. It's such a nonsensical accusation; level editors are some of the most appreciated and versatile platforms for interacting with a franchise, and Nintendo have more than proven they're willing and capable of making their own fun & functional levels in large numbers. The accusation itself is lazy.

The notion that a well-polished level editor with a global, connected platform is unnecessary because ROM hacks and tribute games exist is also pretty bizarre and nonsensical. You may as well say any professionally-made game is unnecessary because we can make inferior versions ourselves.

There wasn't really much focus on the functionality or... well, the game itself, here. These were mostly just shots at the concept.