Zero Punctuation: Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Parhelion

Mar 8, 2008
I love Brawl. Really, I do. I have a bunch of friends who played a lot of melee, so we really like the game. That being said, Yahtzee is 100% right about EVERYTHING he said about Brawl. The game is flawed to a disturbingly extreme point. For about the millionth fucking time, Nintendo has shown that they really have no idea what makes their games fun. Case in point, the whole fucking subspace emissary. They just pour lots of money and time into titles and hope people will still buy it (which they will).

Sethala

Dec 3, 2007
To be honest, I think this is one of Yahtzee's worst reviews. It starts out with scathing hatred and pretty much continues in the same line for a good four minutes. It gets rather boring, honestly. What's worse is that most of the ranting is about fanboys in general, there's only one or two legitimate complaints about the game itself.

One of the things I hate about game reviews is when it's obvious someone played the game not to see if it's good or not, but to confirm their preconcieved notions about the game. While most of Yahtzee's reviews avoid this problem, the SSBB review is pretty much a textbook example of what I'm talking about. If you go in to a game convinced it's going to be bad, or if you only review it because you feel that you have to, guess what - you're not going to suddenly find that it's good. I'm not trying to preach how game reviewers should do their job, but something like this seems very unprofessional (although ZP isn't exactly a professional review... but meh).

Avian Fang

Apr 23, 2008
-Marth is from fire emblem and kicks ass
- Try 1 on 1 matches. Less button mashing more strategy. More zoomed in and better visual for combat. Using a gamecube controller helps a lot.
- All characters all able to be unlocked through multiplayer.
www.avianfang.blogspot.com

Fly on.Fly free,

Avian Fang

Avian Fang

Apr 23, 2008
True, you can pick up a controller and know how to play. And then someone plays with Pikachu, making his little thunders from under your feet, and suddenly it becomes a one man show. Thats not good design IMHO. The characters are vastly unbalanced, and there is no way to know that unless you played a lot. Being able to pick up controls in 10 minutes is inconsequent.

The characters are not vastly unbalanced they are amazingly balanced. Pikachu does his annoying thunder thing then just fire long range, or use a washdash do get behind the little bugger. If you r using character with counter then let him attack counter and send him on his merry way.

jias333

Mar 27, 2008
billy-j said:
well done yahtzee, you've done what had to be done, i've never seen smash bros as anything more than a (mildly fun) random button mashing game

Snake AND Sonic are only unlockables! god damn it Nintendo maybe i'll just stick to SSBM

oh and snake would never slit a throat in this game anyway, it's nintendo isn't it?
Actually his grab is any direction is a neck break LOL, i do like SSB, but still a funny review

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
It is supposed to look like that(like a bad review). He sounded bored from the first line because he did not want to review it. He was told to review it. The game blew so the all that Yahtzee did was to keep in tone with the game. I believe it was preety nice. But show a little mercy when Tekken 6 is released(and if you choose to review it of course).

Awkward Turtle

Apr 9, 2008
I didn't really find this review funny. It kinda disappointed me, actually. Not just because I actually like Brawl, either. I'm not the kind of person to go "OMG HOW DO U NOT LIEK THIS GAME LOL! ITS TEH AWESOME!" whenever someone tells me a game I like sucks. I see all of his points, but they don't really bother me because I actually like hacky-slashy-button-mash-o-thons. Mostly because that means I can actually beat my friends at them.

Anyway, the review was less of a review and more of a rant. It was four minutes of "STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO REVIEW YOU IDIOT FANBOYS." There were almost zero funny lines in it, which is just about the only reason I watch these reviews. I don't blame Yahtzee though. I would hate to review a game I had no interest in.

Also, this makes the first game Yahtzee has reviewed that I actually own. Sad, isn't it?
Edit: I forgot about the Super Paper Mario review. I have that one too.
... yes, the only console I own is a Wii. The PS3 is fucking expensive and there aren't any games for the 360 I really want.

Forsooth and Pi

Apr 23, 2008
Gutterpunk said:
SSBM is only fun because of the novelty of using known characters to beat the crap out of each other. I don't see any other reasons to play it personally. The game doesn't bring anything new to the table compared to the original (which I played quite a bit).
Well, that's just it- Brawl brought a lot of new features to the table, most of which were mediocre (like WiFi and Stage Creator). I just wish Yahtzee put some time looking at these other features, which would have been easy fodder to make fun of, instead of the core gameplay, which is actually quite solid. There's just a lot of missed content in this review, which, even though all the points made were spot-on, made the whole review look more like a rant of the fighting genre of games than an in-depth look at SSBB.

jias333

Mar 27, 2008
Awkward Turtle said:
I didn't really find this review funny. It kinda disappointed me, actually. Not just because I actually like Brawl, either. I'm not the kind of person to go "OMG HOW DO U NOT LIEK THIS GAME LOL! ITS TEH AWESOME!" whenever someone tells me a game I like sucks. I see all of his points, but they don't really bother me because I actually like hacky-slashy-button-mash-o-thons. Mostly because that means I can actually beat my friends at them.

Anyway, the review was less of a review and more of a rant. It was three minutes of "STOP TELLING ME WHAT TO REVIEW YOU IDIOT FANBOYS." There were almost zero funny lines in it, which is just about the only reason I watch these reviews. I don't blame Yahtzee though. I would hate to review a game I had no interest in.

Also, this makes the first game Yahtzee has reviewed that I actually own. Sad, isn't it?
yes quite sad

Titanium Dragon

Apr 23, 2008
True, you can pick up a controller and know how to play. And then someone plays with Pikachu, making his little thunders from under your feet, and suddenly it becomes a one man show. Thats not good design IMHO. The characters are vastly unbalanced, and there is no way to know that unless you played a lot. Being able to pick up controls in 10 minutes is inconsequent.
You simply don't know what you're talking about. Pikachu the best character? That's a new one. The fact that not a single other person I know who plays the game has said that says this is what is known as "idiosynchrantic preference", and moreover, it is most likely out and out wrong - when you're the only person who claims it, it is quite likely you have no idea what you're talking about.

The characters are unbalanced? Probably. But probably not noticably at low-level play. I've heard people call Bowswer (one of the WORST characters in SSBM) brokenly good and, frankly, it says a lot more about the people who are playing not having a clue than anything else.

Claiming that Pikachu is the best simply shows you don't know what you're talking about.

Your "gainful practice" works in a context where you can actually play with new people. In Halo, you fire up XBL and you have a ton of player to learn from. In SSBM, you will probably end up playing the same bunch of friends over and over again, because the wifi part sucks.
Right, which means that, chances are, you're never going to get massively better than your friends unless you try to do so.

But once again, the unbalance of the game throws all of that out of the window. You can spend the rest of your lifetime unlocking Sonic, but in the end Kirby will kick your ass.
There aren't tier lists yet from actual competant players, so your claims of "X is better than Y" are simply opinions, and completley unverifiable and most likely worthless ones at that, knowing SSB players.

And I'm not sure how you can claim that anyone can learn to play the game and then praise how even the most casual player amongst your friends have a chance to beat you. Why would anyone spend any time trying to get better? Providing trophies as sole reward to play a game is not a good design decision. (Sure "fun" is a reward too, but fun is found in many games these days)
This simply shows you didn't read/understand my post. Please attempt to read posts and comprehend them before replying.

You CAN get massively better than other people. I did not say otherwise, and indeed, had you actually read my post, you'd know I said exactly that. Thing is, you have to actually TRY to get better than other people, actively, and that is a good thing.

People get better because they are competitive and WANT to beat their friends, but SSB games are such that you won't get massively better to the point of crushing your friends unless you try to do so or consistantly play against people better than yourself (in which case, you probably won't crush them anyway unless you've got casual friends and competitive friends).

IMHO SSBM blew it too as a party game, and there is way better fighting game out there. So whats left?
You can claim it blew it all you want, but reality shows that the game sold and continues to sell extremely well. Clearly, lots of people DO like it and lots of people DO feel it succeeded at a party game, and those lots of people are far more important to Ninetendo than random people on the internet.

Not every game you love is going to be massively successful, and not every game you hate is going to fare poorly. You may have some irrational or rational hatred of SSBB, but that doesn't change the fact that it made Nintendo scads of money and loads of people are having fun playing it.

There is a way better fighting game out there? What? Your "favorite game"? Really? I'm sorry, I thought we were aiming for actual, reasonable arguments here, not idiosynchratic garbage. If you want to claim it sucks that's fine, but if you can't actually come up with a rational reason for it then you're just going to look like the wankers who asked Yahtzee to review the game in the first place.

NickyT

Mar 22, 2008
If there's one thing I've noticed is that Yahtzee hates any and every pick-up-and-go game. Especialy if they're multiplayer. So I already knew he wouldn't like it and there's no way for him to stop me from liking it. And it's not that hard to get Sonic or Snake. SO SHUT UP!!

jias333

Mar 27, 2008
Also there are people who ARE better at the game. People who play at tournaments etc. or people who truly understand the game will never lose to some dumbass nub mashing buttons, and also in actuality the characters arent so imbalanced, different people are good with different types of characters im personally good with light characters Lucas being my preferance but there are people who are unstoppable with heavy characters like ROB, DK and bowser. A lot of what was said in the review i cant agree with and 9/10 of the posts i cant agree with either but still funny.

megablitz

Apr 23, 2008
Call me a Nintendo fanboy myself, because that might just be who I am. I liked the review (or whatever people would prefer to call it) but I don't entirely agree with it. For one thing, I wouldn't really compare SSBB to a fighting game since it really isn't a fighting game is it? Compare SSBB alongside with, oh lets say soul caliber and theres not a single similarity between them is there?

And to say this game is a button masher would be completely false because the only thing randomly hitting buttons will accomplish in this game is getting hit in the ass by a Zelda fireball (please note that this is not supposed to be KINKY).

But I don't think that having the best characters as locked ones to start out with was a good decision, it wouldn't be so bad if they just switched it round and replaced the locked characters with crap ones (*cough* Donkey Kong).

And yes I also agree with the whole 'being much better than all your mates' thing. That's happened to me with lots of other games, with the only exception being Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 which I thought was s**t anyway.

I am actually British though and am still waiting for the game to be released here, so some of you may question my authority to talk about the game like this. I'm simply basing this on the fact that I've played SSBM... And it rocked... It was awesome... And being young at the time gave me a chance to look up Peach's skirt in the trophy screen... Yep, I'm gonna get negative feedback for that one...

Anyway, theres no denying that SSBB is just a massive sellout including a collection of characters that themselves are massive sellouts. But I'm still gonna buy it anyway becuase the concept of hitting Pikachu with a baseball bat is just too hard to resist... Just too damn hard...

Nice review Yahtzee, keep em comin.

P.S. People who think Yahtzee isn't a real reviewer obviously don't know what a reviewer is or does. A reviewer is someone who takes the mick out of games no matter how good they are and tries their best to only show emotions of hate and disgust. Go out and find a GOOD internet reviewer who does a GOOD review of a game and shows many positive reactions towards it. If you find one then capture it on video otherwise people may think you are mad when you tell them.

P.P.S. I don't see why everyone can't find a single use for this game, I mean there are probably a lot of people who hate Mario and want to kill him. If so then buy Brawl, then beat , bash, torture, flame, electrify, vaporise, rape and kill mario and teabag his corpse. Family fun for hours of entertainment!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That Guy perfectly describes my friend.

He played SSBM nonstop before, so he was alredy better than me by a mile and 3/8, then he started playing brawl and all of his other friends have, and now i'm probably THE worst brawl player of my friend's friends even though i have the game myself! Hell, even the "seeking out other That Guys" happend to him!

But i do find this game enjoyable, and i just say get Yahtzee to throw all of those damned requests out of the way and start doing what he wants.

Boom129

Apr 23, 2008
thank you Yahtzee for giving this game its long due criticism, its not like I have something against this game its just anything with fan boys that think to call it (in these precise words) "the second coming of Jesus" needs to DIE!

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
I don't understand how smash bros could be played as a button 'smasher'

Instead of button combinations, it's much more about timing & position, what I like so much about smash bros is the movement freedom

But then again, I also have no problem with how chaotic it looks, so maybe the speed/chaoticness & buttonmashing aspects are only there when first playing