Zero Punctuation: Syndicate

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
Funny that you mention sightseeing tours because I was hoping you'd review Asura's Wrath today

Jezzer

Mar 23, 2011
I never played the original "Syndicate," but I remember how excited I was when I saw they made an updated "Shadowrun." I bought it based on name alone, took it home, loaded it up, and found out not only was it a First Person Shooter, but it had absolutely no story. None. Not even a PRETENSE at a story mode. I've never felt so betrayed by a video game in my life.

Great, now I'm all bitter and angry again. :mad:

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Is the original Syndicate anything like X-Com: UFO Defense? If so, I might just want to go find it.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
This game tells us people who work at McD should be shot in the head?
But that just wants me to buy it even more.

*resists, in a month it'll be half price*

mirasiel

Jul 12, 2010
Inkidu said:
Is the original Syndicate anything like X-Com: UFO Defense? If so, I might just want to go find it.
Sort of but in real time...but you can pause/slow down/speed up time iirc.

Oh and you can recreate the 'rookie' wall from x-com as well, just 'persuade' some civvies and viola..insta bulletmeat.

Syndicate Wars was decent too though its early gen 3d so it can be a little...hard on the eyes.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
Qitz said:
Antonio Torrente said:
It's a shame that its developer StarBreeze laid off its some employees after finishing the development of this game.

Anyway, can you think of another old IP that big game companies could use and might suffer the same fate as Syndicate?
Wasn't Xcom being "re-made" as an FPS shoot as well? Coming from a Strategy game. It seems pretty much any game that had guns will be re-made into an FPS.

Same thing happened to Duke Nukem. If they brought back Doom it would probably go the same route as Duke. They don't have to be 100% accurate to the original but they should keep the core aspect of the game the same. It'd be like making CivVI into a Third Person Shooter RPG.
At least X-com is also getting a new strategy game on top of the shooter.

Shadow-Fox

Nov 11, 2009
"Hacked the Gibson" fuckin awesome reference there, even if syndicate doesnt really use the hacking enough or competently enough to make it a memorable feature.
still, i bet not even 50% of your viewers will get it ^^

CrunchyRay

Aug 3, 2010
I freaking loved the original Syndicate. Controlling a squad of minigun-wielding cyborg assassins in a dystopian future? Awesome. The game required thought, tactics and planning. In several missions you couldn't just barge in guns blazing or else you'd fail.

And the original game also had the Persuadertron, possibly the most awesome bit of cyberpunk equipment ever. If they didn't include a Persuadertron in this game, then everybody at EA needs another swift kick in the nuts, next to the other swift kick they need for remaking Syndicate as an FPS.

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
The simple answer to your final question, Yahtzee my good man, is as follows: The games industry is made up, for the most part, of uncreative programmers who see the world as a series of equations. They can't be bothered to come up with their own original content, but they're all too happy to revisit their fondest childhood memories while shoe horning in todays latest clichés.

That aside, you said it had a good story, and I do love Cyberpunk to a slightly disturbing degree, so looks like I'll be giving this a spin at some point... That is if it's on PC.

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh, if only Nickelback led to suicide....

Wait, I mean, it totally makes sense to make this into an FPS because they're more immersive!

If forced to listen to it enough and you will want to..

or have a homicidal schizophrenic episode that leads to suicidal tendancies.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Ringo Starr was actually a very good narrator and I love Thomas the tank engine... so yeah, take that.

Apophenia Overload

Nov 24, 2009
I can't get upset too much because we are blessed to live in a world where Paradox Entertainment exists and are making Cartel, their own Syndicate spiritual successor. And X-COM is getting a true turn-based strategy remake as well. As far as '90s dead genres go, 2012 has been kind to this one.

wyldefire

Feb 27, 2008
Barring ME3 I'd like to see Yahtzee do another of his dual episodes using Postal3 and Journey. The theme can be a comparison of gaming's lowest form of art versus it's highest form of art.

Ddgafd

Jul 11, 2009
Eh. That's my opinion on Syndicate, just...eh. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, the SP is boring as hell, but I did enjoy playing MP until I started encountering douches with sniper rifles killing fucking everything. Instant fun-suckers. Haven't even finished SP yet, because I hate those cloaked guys.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad you touched on the bloom/lens flare.It was really irritating.

Thank you for this day's chuckles,I really needed a bit of happiness after the sadness Mass Effect 3's ending gave me.

Looking forward to seeing you rip on it in the weeks to come.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
porpoise hork said:
If forced to listen to it enough and you will want to..

or have a homicidal schizophrenic episode that leads to suicidal tendancies.
that explains those weird blackouts....I thought I was just a drunk!

Proverbial Jon said:
Ringo Starr was actually a very good narrator and I love Thomas the tank engine... so yeah, take that.
Yeah, but he probably wouldn't have been on Shining Time Station if he wasn't the least liked member of a now-defunct band. Harrison and McCartney both moved on with their careers to a large part. Starr was an also-ran in his own band, and it never really got better.

Still, I enjoyed him as Mr Conductor, so there's that.