Zero Punctuation: The E3 Trailer Park

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
BLeh, I don't see why people made a big deal about E3 this time around, heck it's smaller, and more cost effective to the point that anything coming out of that isn't going to be big or ground breaking. Heck even Nintendo doesn't really care that much about E3 to show any of their products coming in the future, it's not like any fanboys or core gamers other than the press was actually at the event anyway.

E3 this time seemed more like a press conference "We are still making the games we should you! They are not vaper ware like Duke Nukem Forever Meltdown 3!"

All in all I thought Gears looked more interesting, it's doing better refining than Halo ever did.

It was a good video, had to say I was dosing off at one point when he suddenly made me pay attention but that is beside the point.

VonBlade

Mar 12, 2008
Stupendous. Loved the OI. Loved the completely necessary and not often enough done arse ripping of Beth.

Meh'd at the FFXIII thing, but only because it was obvious and I kinda like the whole pointy hair thing BUT we're all different and at least you're consistent.

Failout3 definitely definitely needs the Yahtzee treatment. Can't wait :)

And yes I've got used to the music.

Artanias

Jul 30, 2008
While i couldn't agree more about every single game you bashed(whats the damn hype about Resident evil 5? makes no sense!) You forgot to mention Little Big Planet and Fat Princess as impressive games, then again, you did say once that no one likes when your being nice to games :p

Great video as always :)

drawnbypain

May 18, 2008
The video game industry has sadly gone the way of the movie industry. Everything nowadays is about sure fire selling projects and pre-existing properties.

Tis a sad time indeed.

The Thief

Apr 24, 2008
I'm not looking forward to many of the new games coming out. Gears 2 might be alright, so long as they don't take the same route as Halo did.

The only three I can't help being hopeful for are Mirror's Edge, Brutal Legend, and Diablo 3.

Orlana

Jul 30, 2008
To quote Rex Stout, "...That is of course the advantage of being a pessimist; a pessimist gets nothing but pleasant surprises..."

I think that's probably the most appropriate statement to sum up the games industry (among other things).

Edit: I thought better of that. We're still getting shit from games even with a pessimistic attitude, but it sure as hell softens the blow.

Yechezkel

Jul 29, 2008
I had found recent ZPs to be relatively unimpressive, but this one seemed to be a shift back into gear. Now that there's actually some new content to be blithering over, we might just be able to get out of this awkward zone that a series of critiques is likely to fall into when there's nothing to critique. But that would, of course, be optimism, wouldn't it?

On a more positive note, the intro music has finally started growing on me. I was amazed.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
*clap,clap* OI! XD
also, isn't Fable 2 also coming out in October? It's hard not to be excited about that!
:?

GideonB

Jul 26, 2008
I think what he should have put in there was mirrors edge. that is original in style and execution because its melee combat (condemned) mixed with free-running momentum and parkour seems good. Fallout 3's trailer was plain hilarious and I can't believe that Final Fantasy XIII was even mentioned. Maybe he should has just said all the JRPG's there are a bunch of games for people who like spreadsheets and open up excel... FOR FUN!

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
HAHA, best summary of E3 I've heard since the event. He's right about the originality, though, nearly every single game released these days is either a replica of its prequel, or a "borrowed idea" from another game.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
Yep, I used to be happy and optimistic, but now I too toil under the heavy black cloak of cynicism.

But yes! The Watchmen trailer! If the director messes up this film, he's going to have a lot of unhappy people writing him some pretty strong emails, I bet...

And trebuchets. We all need more trebuchets.

The9mm

Jul 24, 2008
watchmen will rock
that is all
NO WAIT!
first you explain that the e3 will count for nothing(trailers are nothing 'n all)
and then you move on to review nothing
boink

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
Sequeltastic!

Mind you, I actually pondered getting tickets through a friends who works for an advertising agency that did the trailer for one of the games (I cant remember which one) but decided not to and good thing to.

oldmeme

Jul 9, 2008
Hype has truely not effected me nor have I been "HOLY CHRIST MUST GET IT" about any game in the last five or six years other than Bioshock or the Orange Box, because Steampunk is a love of mine and because TF2 + Portal were looking very nice.

Great review, I was happy to see E3 getting some more groans in its direction for (once again) being overly dull.

YYZed

Jun 25, 2008
Groovy Pants almost made me shit my pants in laughter.

Didn't even mention the Portal: Still Alive.

Neo Kojiro

Mar 19, 2008
While watching this for the first time, i said 'Oh, wait', at the same time Yahtzee did after that Star Wars bit, which made me laugh my ass off.

Additionally, i still don't like the intro and outro. I sure hope Yahtzee reads these comments, or else i'm gonna feel like a twat for bringing it up here so often.