Zero Punctuation: The Elder Scrolls Online - We Can MMO Too

04whim

Apr 16, 2009
I have sometimes thought that a game joining multiplayer aspect in Skyrim would be nice, but more for fucking around than actually playing it. And only when you can control who joins so you only get your friend who's all about running around killing wolves with no clothes on. Making it into an MMO where you aren't given the fuck aroundy freedom or the ability to choose your colleagues is missing the point a bit. And it still flummoxes me when an MMO expects you to pay cash up front to buy it and then thinks it can still charge you a monthly subscription fee.

Chinchy

Aug 7, 2009
Grumman said:
People wanted Skyrim you could play with your friends. They did not want World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin. Zynax or whatever they're called of course wanted World of Warcraft wearing Skyrim's skin, so that they could farm TES's fanbase for $15 per month + $60 + $microtransactions.
The game does not have micro as far as I can tell, also the game plays nothing like world of warcraft please stop making up lies about the game.

Antsh

May 15, 2012
I always hear that it is awful to play games like this from Australia. Kinda sucks.

Petter Jonsson

Mar 18, 2014
Chinchy said:
also the game plays nothing like world of warcraft
Maybe not, but it sure doesn't play like any of the other ES games. Combat in ESO is really boring and doesn't have that same awesome feel as the fighting mecanic in the other games in the series.

Hiramas

Aug 31, 2010
like wow? no
microtransactions? so far, a horse, the digital deluxe edition and for the future some services like name change
Issues? Hell, yeah, it has a ton of issues. Never seen an MMO that has none.
Enjoyable? Yes. Very much so. It IS elder scrolls, just a different take on it.
Should you play it? How should I know if you would enjoy it? If you can, try. Make up your own mind. I enjoy the hell out of it.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
I want to comment on this, but like my opinion on ESO, I just can't bring myself to have something even trivial to say. I hear ESO is good, but not worth what they are charging for it.

All in all, I think this episode was a good simulator of the ESO experience as far as I know...

KorLeonis

Mar 15, 2010
About what I expected to hear about ESO. An Elder Scrolls where I can't faff about or abuse the physics, no thanks.

But I'm not sure why Yahtzee would include Defiance in the list of franchises getting ham-handedly forced into the MMO shitstorm. As I understand it, the game and the show were created together, so the show could handle the bulk of the world-building, instead of awkwardly jamming exposition into the game. They are supposed to work together, instead of say Star Trek which just tried to capitalize on a preexisting franchise.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
The Gentleman said:
I hear ESO is good, but not worth what they are charging for it.
Yeah, you're kinda right. You have to be either a big fan of TES or a big fan of realm vs realm / PvP. I'm both so this game is worth every cent. However, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be able to get into it.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with ESO filling that niche. So many gamers complain about mass appeal (ie game that don't target a niche) then endlessly complain when something doesn't appeal to them.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Catasros said:
Kind of expected this from the moment I heard of Elder Scrolls Online...
Yeah.. There seems to be so little chance of non-WOW MMOs succeeding nowadays that it depresses me when a good developer feels the need to throw their hat into the ring.

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
jehk said:
The Gentleman said:
Yeah, you're kinda right. You have to be either a big fan of TES or a big fan of realm vs realm / PvP. I'm both so this game is worth every cent. However, I can see why a lot of people wouldn't be able to get into it.

Honestly, I'm totally cool with ESO filling that niche. So many gamers complain about mass appeal (ie game that don't target a niche) then endlessly complain when something doesn't appeal to them.
I think that's partially because the economics of an MMO (massive production costs and significant ongoing costs) requires a broader appeal so that it can be profitable.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I don't get the appeal of MMOs. I dunno, I guess the fact that you're not the one savung the day anymore kinda rubs me the wrong way... (Though if they made a decent Firefly MMO, I admit I'd give it a shot...)

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
The Gentleman said:
jehk said:
The Gentleman said:

I think that's partially because the economics of an MMO (massive production costs and significant ongoing costs) requires a broader appeal so that it can be profitable.
Sure but they don't need to supplant WoW to achieve that.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
Thing is when I saw the pandaren back in WC3 I didn't really expect them to come from China. Which is what pandaria reminds me off. Therefore the kung fu panda reference. Man do people get riled up about it. I'm surprised that he didn't mention the atrocious box price and the fact that you need to buy the special edition for one the races or something.

Mahoshonen

Jul 28, 2008
Actually Yahtzee, whenever a new Elder Scrolls game came out, you can always count on a few internet monkeys to say they should make a multiplayer version of the game. It's just that it took about 5 minutes for someone else to explain why this is a terrible idea, and the reasons are pretty close to the criticism you just laid out.

So in fact someone did ask for this. It's just that those very people should never be trusted with what they want.

Kyle Davis

Apr 23, 2010
The thing you need to remember to enjoy this game is not think of it as Skyrim online or another MMO. Try to see it as it's own thing and you's like it better.

What's surprising is I'm not angered by this review. When Yahtzee hates a game I like I prefer he not make it like it's horrible to everyone but make it that it's just not for him and that's understandable. Everyone has their own taste in games.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
prpshrt said:
Thing is when I saw the pandaren back in WC3 I didn't really expect them to come from China. Which is what pandaria reminds me off. Therefore the kung fu panda reference. Man do people get riled up about it. I'm surprised that he didn't mention the atrocious box price and the fact that you need to buy the special edition for one the races or something.
Wasn't that whole business about Racials? Like I remember being annoyed but it depends on what that race offers, as Imperials aren't much different to their counterparts.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
It's pretty bad. It's something i would've played maybe 10 years ago. Right now it's just "everything that has been done" but with a TES-recoloring on the outside.

It does not feel like TES at all. It feels like an MMO. There's basically nothing in the game that made the singleplayer expirience what it was.
And the whole "You're the chosen one - and so is every other bloke" just makes it worse. While some quests/stories are not badly written at all you just can't suspend disbelief if you're surrounded by xXxBigDickxXx and 1337Killer. And good god another MMO that can't do combat right. Not even MMO-like combat.
Seriously so far WoW is still the only MMO that managed to make combat fluid. With the exception of GW2 maybe.

If you want RvR you're probably better of with GW2 - it's a better game in every aspect even storywise. And doesn't charge you 15$ a month.