Zero Punctuation: The Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker HD

TheomanZero

Jan 12, 2011
In terms of the potion industry, there is an optional "Hero Mode" in which enemies don't drop hearts. But Yahtzee might not have had time to try that before making the review (and it doesn't do anything about the soup).

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
Big_Isaac said:
Alright, so with Wind Waker out of the way, how about we all turn to our trusty crystal balls and predict how Yahtzee's review of the next big Nintendo game for WiiU, i.e. Mario 3D World, will go.

This is what mine tells me:
0 - some comments about the PS4 and Xbone doing better or worse than the WiiU, sales wise
1 - jokes about Mario being milked like the last living cow on the planet
2 - comments about 3D land not having been good
3 - comments about the game using the 4-player aspect aspect from the NEW series, just with one less toad
4 - jokes about Peach not being completely useless for once in her tired existence
5 - reluctant admission that the game is indeed really really good, being a 3D Mario game that was developed by the Galaxy team
6 - perhaps some more hits on 3D land along the lines of "it's basically the same game, except they gave a shit this time"
7 - ending joke

Not accusing you of being predictable or anything, but that's usually the approach you seem to take when you have to admit that a Nintendo game was more entertaining to you than sticking a pencil up your cockhole
You give him far too much credit that he would talk that much about the game itself. It will be bitching about Nintendo in general, The consoles and handhelds being unoriginal and gimmicky in the same paragraph, how Mario is tired and should be put out to pasture for the umpteenth time and maybe, just maybe talk about the game but only to say it's the exact same thing he played last time and saying that any changes made it worse.

That's a proper Yahtzee formula for a Nintendo review.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I loved nan after I found out about the soup :D
Then again I decided for some strange reason to go "Hero Mode" from the begining and apparently enemies do double damage and drop no hearts in that mode, so the start was insanely hard.
Halfway through though, after collected so I had maybe 10 pieces of life it wasn't that bad anymore.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Wind Waker was an amazing game and also the last Zelda game I enjoyed playing on consoles. Generally speaking, Minish Cap was the last Zelda game I played all the way through and enjoyed myself the entire time. I tried to bust out Minish Cap last month, though, because I have it for free on my 3DS thanks to being an early adopter of the system, but I got bored. I was worried I was bored with Zelda as a series - then I picked up the HD edition of Wind Waker and diverted all of my free time towards it.

I think Zelda is at it's best when there are lots of towns and side-quests to focus on. It just feels more like an adventure. That's why Majora's Mask and Wind Waker compete for the coveted position of being my favorite Zelda ever. It's also why Oracle of Season/Ages and Link's Awakening are still superior to Twilight Princess, despite not having a 'dark' story.

Shame I never got into Phantom Hourglass though... not sure why but that one just rubbed me the wrong way. At least I can look at Skyward Sword and blame the motion controls for everything.

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I recently played through this game, and found that it was good. Yeah, the sailing became little more than a chore after a while. Yeah, the overall story was kind of "eh". Yeah, the final boss consists of you getting sliced to pieces by Ganondorf, while you're being shot at by Zelda (who is supposed to HELP you, mind you). But I liked the openess of the world, I liked the puzzles, and most importantly, it shows that good aesthetics do NOT equal good graphics. Wind Waker came out 11 years ago (in Japan), and it still looks good. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault came out 11 years ago, and it looks absolutely laughable.

Think about that for a while...

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
So after a quick google search I learned that mingegurgle is not a real word at all. I did however learn that menegur, a word quite similar to mingegurgle, is Indonesian for reprimand. How about that.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
He should've played on Hero mode to make things harder. Though once you have enough hearts and bottles to hold soup, fairies, and potions, even hero mode loses its edge.

Enlong

Dec 24, 2008
On potions: Forget the blob monster route.

Just use your Grappling Hook to grab magic seeds from the plant monsters in the forest island. Trade four of them for a magic/health potion from the plant guy there. And guess what? There's more than four of he plant monsters on the walk-up to the forest island!

So now we need to add the plant-man potion maker to the list of people who need defending from the potion-sellers' union.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
Evonisia said:
And so we add another Wii U game to the list of Wii U games that Yahtzee liked and has reviewed. So two. And there were no complaints about the Wii U itself amazingly.

That mingegurgle joke reminded me of the Remember Me video except mingegurgle was a much better ending.

Can't truly call it a Wii U game though.. it's on the WII u, but it's virtually the same as the original Gamecube game, only with loads of more sunlight and glare to blind you. The original release of the game on GC was fine as is.. unlike real HD re-releases, this is pretty much the same game only put out to make money from people who don't have gamecube copy of the game and like using a oversized unwieldy tablet to try and control the game. nintendo: the master of giving you games you want with unnecessarily added crap on top of it.

LittleBlackDragon

Jul 29, 2013
Well, it's nice to see Yahtzee actually enjoying himself. I don't always agree with his reviews but he always has something to say that makes me think more critically about the games I play.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
templar1138a said:
Well, that was... surprising, but you were mostly right.

But why would you use ANY potions? Fairies, man. Fairies.
Yeah, this. For all Zelda games.

I suppose it's a play-style thing, and that maybe somewhere out there are Zelda players who prefer the potion system to fairy chasing or who ignore enemy-consumable-drops to keep things moving faster... but damned if I've ever met one.

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
randomthefox said:
Anyone else feel weirdly smug and happy inside whenever you find out semi-famous people have the same opinion as you?

Cuz I really really like how he likes Wind Waker and thinks Twilight Princess is derivative garbage.
There's some memorable things in TP! Like, um...

That weird little baby with his store that had such amazing marketing!

So ya...

I actually liked TP. It was nice. It wasn't as good as WW, but WW was all kinds of fun so it had a lot to live up to.

IrisNetwork

Sep 11, 2013
So, its good because WW on the GC was good? Then, I'll just stick to the GC and skip the Wii U.
I'm waiting for Yahtzee to do Batman Arkham Origins, its received quite an amount of lashing for being too iterate and lack of innovation, a lashing I find funny as these come from the guys who praise Modern Warfare 3 and sports games.
And maybe Assassin's Creed 4. I heard it was actually better than the 3rd.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I finally buy Pokemon after days of course work, sit down, slip it into my 3DS, click on the new ZP vid and just as the Pokemon Y symbol comes up I hear Yatzee call me a psychotic...

I love Wind Waker, I havn't completed the other Zeldas but Wind Waker is bloody magic. I thought there were less Tri-force maps but I had no clue about that new sail though... and I love the sailing... YAY, BACK INTO THE DEEP BLUE I GO!

Wind Waker also has Medli, Makar and Tetra who are some of my favorite cute characters /)^3^(\

Yahtzee, come on small fry, gotta love the map fish!