Zero Punctuation: The Orange Box

slapme7times

Oct 21, 2007
i love yahtzee's reviews... but i simply think that in his desire to praise a 'thinking man's shooter' -and thus prove he is himself a thinking man- he overlooked many of the massive flaws in the orange box.

the first 3 games in the compilation are old... really old, and while i admit to being stunned by half life 2 3 years ago, it was a bore for me this time around... the hyper linear gameplay which was once forgiven in half life 2 years later is so incredibly annoying and obvious that it makes bioshock look like a free roaming game.

where bioshock stuffs the player in an leaking underwater tomb where the player has a good explanation for the boundaries of the world in which they exist, half life ep 2 takes place in the middle of a massive forest, which immediately makes the player wonder why they hell they can't walk off into the hills and do whatever the fuck they want.

If you pick an open setting like the wilderness, you'd better let the player navigate it like a free roaming wilderness, if not, just keep the player stuck in a mine shaft for hours on end, which hl ep 2 does quite frequently.

the second the player is exposed to a massive environment which they are artificially banned from exploring, it immediately destroys the immersion the developers were trying to foster, and it only makes the poor graphics and redundant puzzles more tedious.

the only notable editions that episode 1 and 2 bring to the half-life cannon are teamwork with alex and the mini striders, which weren't memorable enough to remember their names, unlike say, the brumak in gears of war which you didn't even get to fight...

or better yet, unlike the striders, which astounded me in half life 2.

Alex can't die. she's invulnerable, and the plot continues the trend of 'alex will not die, ever'. it's obvious that she's valve's baby, and immersion is again destroyed when alex refuses to die even after being attacked by 20 enemies at once.

it's nearly impossible to become attached to alex despite her stupid jokes and well choreographed animations because she can't ever be killed.

episode 1 and 2 are boring disappointments, i'd much rather be playing half life 3 than a couple of stale expansions to half life 2, which was once a mind blowing game - 3 years ago.

Team fortress 2 is very pretty, sporting a pixar-esque art style that really makes it feel unique, but didn't hold me very long... again, i found myself being dragged back to counterstrike source...

you may notice a reoccurring theme here... it's that the source engine is old and stale, and half life 2, packaged with hl2 deathmatch and cs:source are better than the orange box's compilation in every single imaginable way. what was once invigorating has become stale, with one exception.

Portal. portal is about 3 hours long if you want to complete the bonus maps, but the amazing feeling of being able to manipulate space and solid objects is incredibly invigorating...

like half life 2's gravity gun, the portal gun is the biggest innovation of the orange box...

The disembodied, homicidal Voice that condescendingly guides the player is fantastic...

I'd give the orange box 8/10... playing through episodes 1 and 2 was a bore, and tf2 was more fun to look at than play... so really i'm paying 50$ (on pc) for a 3 hour long game of portals...

Scypemonk

Proud TBB Warrior
Sep 26, 2007
Katana314 said:
Vitalix said:
Great work. Thanks for the transcript.

When I meet gamers, people like the Half-Life series, but they don't *really* understand how great it really is. Now I know I am not alone. Those folks at Valve put EA to shame.

What an excellent review. Every review that puts us farther away from Peggle is a good review.

You the man, Yahtzee.
Ironic that EA publishes for Valve.
I think EA, only publishes the PS3 edition.

TheDarkArchon

Oct 20, 2007
again, i found myself being dragged back to counterstrike source...
you may notice a reoccurring theme here... it's that the source engine is old and stale
Wait, so you say the source engine is stale yet you go back to a game which runs on said stale engine?

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Scypemonk said:
I think EA, only publishes the PS3 edition.
No, they publish all versions, but Valve retains IP ownership. EA is brokering a third party to do the PS3 port. Valve handled the PC and 360 versions themselves.

ser710

Oct 14, 2007
Portal is a kick ass game. Love everything about it, there's nothing wrong with it although some say it was too short, deal with it. Best 3 hours spent in my life.

Kadayi

Sep 6, 2007
hunterm16a2 said:
So, by your definition, what is a good game?
Apparently not a good selling game (because big sales = shit). Though given that Half life itself (which isn't shit based on what he said) was one of the biggest selling games ever, his theory seems somewhat amateur. Anyhows I wouldn't waste your time arguing with him. Play TF2 instead it's much more rewarding. ;)

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
newage_lightbulb3 said:
Wow! I had to take all of 5 minutes to create a new account because a forum mod went on a power trip. You truly are a force to be reckoned with, dude.

The fact that somebody replied defending Crash pretty much cements my point. And no, I didn't finish HL:E2, but that's not my fault. It's the fault of the game. Because it's boring. I got sick of killing green bugs and being pushed along a strictly linear path through boxy, poorly-detailed corridors with the same goddamn weight puzzle repeated over and over.

Does anybody even remember how good Half-Life was? From HL2 on we have had nothing but more and more mediocrity and less of anything to make this a unique game. And as it gets more and more mediocre, more and more people call it genius. Hence my "you people are stupid" theory, which is holding up pretty well.

In closing, recall that Britney Spears just had a #1 song again, Madonna is a multi-platinum artist, and Halo 3 got more 10/10 scores than any game in history. It means nothing. Success doesn't mean it's good, it means they found some way to hook sales. You've been gimmicked. Enjoy your mediocrity. You're killing gaming.
Look, as much as I love Half-Life 2, there's no way I would get angry at you for calling it stupid; even my own brother gets bored with it easily. It's calling everyone HERE stupid that gets you a punch in the mouth. Just be careful with who you're offending next time. (mods: I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but generally it's warning first, punishment afterwards)

hunterm16a2

Oct 22, 2007
Kadayi said:
hunterm16a2 said:
So, by your definition, what is a good game?
Apparently not a good selling game (because big sales = shit). Though given that Half life itself (which isn't shit based on what he said) was one of the biggest selling games ever, his theory seems somewhat amateur. Anyhows I wouldn't waste your time arguing with him. Play TF2 instead it's much more rewarding. ;)
Will do! ;)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
newage_lightbulb3 said:
Wow! I had to take all of 5 minutes to create a new account because a forum mod went on a power trip. You truly are a force to be reckoned with, dude.
Banning your IP is next. I am a leaf on the wind. Watch me soar.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Katana314 said:
(mods: I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but generally it's warning first, punishment afterwards)
Noted.

**Edit: To expound.

I would agree that a layered approach to forum moderation is optimal. However, these ZP threads have been attracting new users more quickly than ... something stinky attracts buzzing insects. That is to say very quickly. And thickly.

Someone entering the forum with a low or non-existent post count who immediately acts like an ass isn't likely to self moderate - or listen to reason. (Or take a hint, apparently.) It may seem to the outside observer that banning such an individual is a bit harsh, or arbitrary, but it's not. Believe me, I've seen it far too many times to have any illusions about how such incidents will play out.

However, this note isn't for them. They can continue to post at forums where such behavior is expected or encouraged. We will not miss them. This note is for those of you who've been good forum citizens and attempted remain aware of the preferred tone of these forums. To you folks, I say: thank you. You'll find that your efforts will not be ignored should you run afoul of our expectations.

It is also possible for a banning to be lifted. There are even some among you who have been re-instated. In these cases, humility, contrition and reason will carry you far further than mocking scorn, I assure you. It's just not in anyone's best interests to abuse the guys holding the keys to the monkey cage. There's simply no margin in it - for anyone. Not even for me. Monday mornings are miserable enough without having to swing the ban hammer.

/mod.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
TheDarkArchon said:
Katana314 said:
(mods: I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but generally it's warning first, punishment afterwards)
Even in the cases of blatant trolling?
That's a fair question, and the answer is: blatant trolling will earn you a warning or banning depending on the circumstances and the moderators' discretion.

Everyone has a bad day, and we try not to hold that against folks who've otherwise been good forum citizens. But, as I said above, when someone comes here with the express purpose of being a jerk, it's not worth arguing with them about it.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
Excellent work, newage_lightbulb. The Aperture Science Laboratory reminds you that troll hell is a real place where you will be sent at the first sign#######CCCHHHHHHHHHKKKKKKKKKK baked, and then there will be cake.

Snap07

Oct 3, 2007
"These mediocre conformist products are just fodder for the dump sheeple! Im so special that im way above having fun with that!" would sound alot less dumb if he could just accept that other people can have different tastes without being "stupid". Yet, alas lightbulb has pretty much shown us his attitude so i dont think a warning would really have done much good.

However, these ZP threads have been attracting new users more quickly than ... something stinky attracts buzzing insects. That is to say very quickly. And thickly.
It does kind of sadden me to see the basic trolls being washed ashore by Yathzees reviews, but i guess theres a downside to everything. Then again its not exactly unexpected and its pretty much the reason forum moderation&the banhammer exist in the first place.

Wheeee! T-~48h

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Snap07 said:
"These mediocre conformist products are just fodder for the dump sheeple! Im so special that im way above having fun with that!" would sound alot less dumb if he could just accept that other people can have different tastes without being "stupid". Yet, alas lightbulb has pretty much shown us his attitude so i dont think a warning would really have done much good.

However, these ZP threads have been attracting new users more quickly than ... something stinky attracts buzzing insects. That is to say very quickly. And thickly.
It does kind of sadden me to see the basic trolls being washed ashore by Yathzees reviews, but i guess theres a downside to everything. Then again its not exactly unexpected and its pretty much the reason forum moderation&the banhammer exist in the first place.

Wheeee! T-~48h
Its hard to have fun with a limited and unpolished product when its sold on more than being mindless fun, this is why Halo 3 can be more fun than Bioshock at least we know 1 is mindless fun the other tries to be to many things to to many people.

hunterm16a2

Oct 22, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
Snap07 said:

Wheeee! T-~48h
Its hard to have fun with a limited and unpolished product when its sold on more than being mindless fun, this is why Halo 3 can be more fun than Bioshock at least we know 1 is mindless fun the other tries to be to many things to to many people.
And now, we re-instate the game debate.

As for the lightbulb, it is extinguished and forgotten...

I'm assuming Bioshock is the mindless fun? ;)

Snap07

Oct 3, 2007
ZippyDSMlee said:
uh i cant agree on bioshock being to complex or to unpolished though sometimes i enjoy casual mindless stuff but also complex games are fun to alot of people id rather say that simple game concepts are more limiting to some gamers so i dont quite see ur point i rather think it depends more on taste also

Seriously now, do we really want to continue the Halo3 vs Bioshock,Casual vs Hardcore Gaming, Console vs PC automated-thread-inflation? Ive never ever seen any of it actually lead anywhere. One might as well settle the old Windows vs Linux debate in here...