Zero Punctuation: The Surge

Niccolo

Dec 15, 2007
Yow. It's been a good long while since we heard Yahtzee take a steaming dump on a game.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
So whats with all the super late uploads? This is like the third week in a row the Escapist has had problems with ZP's time.

J.McMillen

Sep 11, 2008
Silentpony said:
So whats with all the super late uploads? This is like the third week in a row the Escapist has had problems with ZP's time.
According to Yahtzee, it's something on The Escapist end.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
I personally got far more enjoyment out of the Surge then I ever did out of any of the Souls games.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I can't wait until 3 years up to now where everything is The Witcher III/The new Prey/That Horizon game, because these times where everything is trying to be Dark Souls is more frustrating than annoying. I miss those times where everything wanted to be System Shock 2, and some even succeeded.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Probably wise to make sure your intentionally challenging game is as polished and glitch free as can be before hurling it like a rock of potassium into the restless seas of impatience. Even bullshit RNG systems know when and where to tow the line.

Somebody should make a dark souls clone where you primary method of defense is exploiting glitches within the world. Experimentation would be key. And you could legitimately use the defense of "that's not a bug..." without another part of your soul dying inside.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Damn, this game looked like it had so much promise.

Also, where did you get that post of Dr Bashir? I need to know, for science.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
I literally lol'd on this one. Haven't done that in too long for Zero Punctuation.

nightowlc

Nov 5, 2008
The "Tropic of Fuckabout" is brilliant.

On the irritating side, part of my job is setting up and maintaining electrically-powered equipment, and now the word "surge" is ruined for me. Damn you Yahtzee.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
Don't rightly understand how games manage to glitch people straight through the floor. First Hovering Ground Lady from Skyrim and now this. I suppose it has to do with the collision meshes and visible meshes having to both be manually built, separately, but that sounds like a pretty terrible way to have to build levels.

Zendariel

May 15, 2012
Steve the Pocket said:
Don't rightly understand how games manage to glitch people straight through the floor. First Hovering Ground Lady from Skyrim and now this. I suppose it has to do with the collision meshes and visible meshes having to both be manually built, separately, but that sounds like a pretty terrible way to have to build levels.
There are a lot of ways to mess with collisions, for example animations can change hitboxes and physics engine might try to react on that by saying this part is below hitbox so fall down won't you or characters might have a state of being on ground to ignore some physics calculations and control other animations. Or character might just go too fast and a bad frame skip might skip a few calculations bypassing the calculations all together. For example in surge when you execute an enemy the animation tries to sync with the enemy and it might cause you to float in midair and sometimes go over the fences and the enemy might be somewhere far away because it collided to other collisions.

Also you can create tools to simplify the collision meshes from more accurate meshes and it might cause small inaccurasies that for the most time wont cause anything and can improve performance but in rare cases cause things to go haywire. Anyway there are multiple ways to screw up collisions even if the meshes were perfectly accurate to the geometry.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Xsjadoblayde said:
Probably wise to make sure your intentionally challenging game is as polished and glitch free as can be before hurling it like a rock of potassium into the restless seas of impatience. Even bullshit RNG systems know when and where to tow the line.

Somebody should make a dark souls clone where you primary method of defense is exploiting glitches within the world. Experimentation would be key. And you could legitimately use the defense of "that's not a bug..." without another part of your soul dying inside.
Didn't encounter any glitches while playing the Surge myself, Yahtzee must've just got really unlucky, like I did with Alien Isolation where the glitches were almost Unity levels of awful.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
A really funny one this time. Always gotta remember to tune in even for the games I've no plans to ever touch.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Wait? Did Yathzee play Hyper Light Drifter and not tell us? Was there a review I missed or something?

Why have you been holding out on us, Yathzee?