Zero Punctuation: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Feriluce said:
Lawl. That cutscene is not unskippable. Its actually quite easy to skip.
Yeah... Wouldn't this just reinforce the point that this game tells you jack all?

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
Danial said:
God this will end well, will be full of PC nuts getting mad for no reason, Console nuts getting smug for no reason and the rest of humanity wishing people cared about actual important things with the same passion people seem to care about what platform you play use to conduct your hobby.

Fact, Neither PC gaming nor Console is better, if you genuinely believe that you are a better human being than someone who uses a differing system than you... then... wow...
Ta daaa.

We have a correct person.

maddhatter190

Mar 26, 2009
The sad part is that this is how we all expected him to review it. past games have shown that yahtzee really hates a game that doesn't explain it self well.

And TW2 doesn't explain it self well at all. Frankly put a bunch of the things he complained about were actually out of the lack of familiarity of the game.

you could skip any cut scene in the game by right mouse clicking , sadly the game only tells you this with a small mouse icon that appears irregularly in the first moments of the cut scene.

as for the signs , really how hard is it to stand still after a fight and just cycle through them? Again this is lack of familiarity that kills it.

but I wonder if a tutorial would have been good. usually tutorials for rpgs are done in very artificial situations that break immersion.

It is unfortunate that he gave up because the game really does become rewarding once you grasp all it's mechanics.

but we can't fault him for it.

what we can fault yahtzee for is reviewing a sequel to a game he hated so much as to not finish it. Seriously dude don't waste your time

norsef

Oct 22, 2008
He didn't even finish the prologue?

My God. Someone tell this man about what a Difficulty Slider is stat!

dantoddd

Sep 18, 2009
beema said:
It is of course a giant irony that he will complain about the overcomplexity in a PC game review, but then turn right around and complain about the lack of such complexity in a console game review.
That's the biggest strawman i keep hearing about negative TW2 reviews. Mere difficulty or complexity is not the issue here. TW2 is needlessly tedious When it comes to inventory management & it's combat difficult comes from things beyond your control. That's what yahtzee pointed out here.

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
SPOIPER ALert!
Sooo you did not even get laid, uh? You got to kill the octopuss thing to get laid. Too bad men, too bad.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Alleged_Alec said:
Feriluce said:
Lawl. That cutscene is not unskippable. Its actually quite easy to skip.
Yeah... Wouldn't this just reinforce the point that this game tells you jack all?
If you press any sort of button during a cut scene it says 'right click to skip' or rather shows an icon for right click and says 'skip' next to it. I don't think it requires a tutorial for skipping a cut scene.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
Couldn't most of his problems be solved by reading a manual. Hasn't he complained MANY times that he does not like it when video games hold your hand? Isn't reading a 20 page manual that comes with the game a good middle ground? Or perhaps I should stop taking these "reviews" seriously?
I'll take the 3rd question.

Mustkunstn1k

Jun 8, 2011
He stopped playing because of the 5 minute unskippable cutscene?

The cutscenes are easily skippable. It even shows the button to do it if you press something.

I don't appreciate blatant lies.

Hiddenbane

Jan 27, 2010
Wow i actually think Yahtzee did a huge dis-service to his own integrity and to the game with this review. First, the cut scenes ARE skippable, including the cut scene you are referring to which i have experienced myself. You critized the length of the game when you didnt even finish it, how could you know its a collosal game if you didnt finish it? for the record you were 1/3rd through. It does have a steep learning curve, i myself died repeatedly, maybe 5 or 6 times right at the start, beyond that initial difficulty, once you learn the mechanics the combat system is responsive, deep and engaging, I am currently playing through the game again, this time on Hard, and have not died once yet. This is a game based deep in slavik lore, myth and culture, you critized the naming of the magic runes because their meaning is not imidiately apparent to a new player. Would you not critise the break from the source material if you were a fan of the original books or the first game? I dont know what kind of laptop you use, but i play on mine, it is nothing fancy, i ran the game on medium settings and it ran very well. Usually Yahtzee i am a huge fan of your reviews, infact it was your reveiws that brought me to this website and while i dont always agree with your opinion of games you reveiw i generally respect the point and flaws you bring up but this reveiw was attrocious. I understand that a deep rpg experience is not for everyone and that this game does require much more from its players than the usualy fare but it is not a game flaw to ask its players to actually participate in what entails of being a witcher. Yahtzee, i am not a regular poster on these forums, hell i rarely log in, but this reveiw compelled me, it was not up to scratch. Please pick up your game, no pun intended, this review was undeserving of you, your fans, this game and the industry which you represent. Please, next time, do your homework.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Kededro said:
I was laid off, thank you very much!
What, from the dick sucking factory? That's got to feel like the low-point in your career, eh?

In other news, I really don't mind hard games. In fact, some really hard games are really fun, as long as they're hard because they require precise timing and you have to think carefully about how you play the game and not because the controls are bad and unresponsive.

I'll say this, also: I grew up on consoles and I've always loved them, but I should also note that 9 out of my top ten most favorite games are all PC games. I wonder what that means.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
A Curious Fellow said:
Hah, trolling PC gamers and PS3 gamers. Bet you all wish you had 360s now, don't you? *smug*

For the unintelligent: Clearly being facetious.
Don't know why but when I read that last line I heard Peter Griffins voice saying "What does poop have to do with anything?" (feces/facetious)

On topic I really don't see the appeal of overly complicated D&D RPG games and this one seems to fit the bill of overly complicated.

cymonsgames

Dec 17, 2010
What do you mean your previous video is lost to the internet? It's right here http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/22-The-Witcher
I don't know.... OH!

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Just the review I was expecting, now all the butthurt fanboys will now come out and complain that yahtzee can't review shit and he just doesn't understand the game. I got to keep an eye on these comments things could get interesting.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Mr. Omega said:
Very accurate portrayal on how PC Gamers see themselves while making it clear how other people see them.

The rest of the review was also pretty good, and seems oddly consistent with many other reviews.

And since this is the Escapist, where the community sees this as the second coming of Jesus, I'm gonna keep my eye on this thread for lulzy hate comments. I've already seen quite a few.
No. Jesus was only with ONE whore. :p

Also, this probably will start some dumb flame war because, "Oh my god! Yahtzee didn't love what we all love! Again! >_< Ahhhh!"

It would make me laugh if the reasons weren't flimsy. You could make a good argument to why Yahtzee is wrong, but a lot of what I see is just angry kneejerk reactions. Also, NO, I don't think the game is bad. However, what Yahtzee says about it is mostly true, and he isn't the only (or even first) person to talk about it. The game could be better, but that doesn't make it a bad game.

Calm down everyone. Its all for fun. :)

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
haha, nice review. Yeah, the prologue was really, really hard, and Act 1 wasn't easy either, but by Act 2, combat is quite manageable.

The cutscene before the Kraken (or however it's spelled in-game) IS skippable though! I think you right click twice or something.

Btw, if you investigated the sidequest with the elf a bit more, you'd have realized that the elf was evil beforehand >_>
Which is one of the things I love about the Witcher 2, in that the game doesn't spoonfeed you the quest solutions. If you screw up, you'll get less exp and you'll get stabbed in the back by hot elf chicks :p

I've always wondered what it would feel like to listen to a ZP for a game I actually loved...turns out, it's not too bad :p