Zero Punctuation: The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
mrhateful said:
Of cause PC games excel at every aspect of a game...
..."well controls are better so that invalids your argument".
I can't tell if you're trolling or if you actually believe that.

OT: If the two swords thing is true, then this game is downright silly.

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
Alleged_Alec said:
Feriluce said:
Lawl. That cutscene is not unskippable. Its actually quite easy to skip.
Yeah... Wouldn't this just reinforce the point that this game tells you jack all?
No..no it doesn't. I have yet to see a single game that tells you "Press buttan x to skip cutscene". There is a limited amount of buttons you'd expect to skip a cutscene, namely space, esc, enter and the mouse buttons. Thats about 5 buttons to go through. Apparantly thats too much for the console crowd to handle though.

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
Tutorial is horrible, everyone knows that. It's the only problem with the game, it doesn't tell you how to play. Well, that and the general unresponsiveness. And the inventory.

Moaning about the lack of instant potions. Well, just because something is a trope doesn't mean it should always be included. How ridiculous is it that in most games you can take out a glass vial, uncork it and chug it all down whilst in the middle of a sword fight?

It's more acceptable in a Space Marine type get-up, you can say "automated systems" and carry on your merry way; but, not in your typical medieval fantasy setting.

The only trouble with the preemptive potioning is that you either have to be prescient or you will invariably die, meaning you have to quicksave all the time.

Group fights, Quen. Seriously, just have Quen active all the time. My first playthrough I had to push the game down to easy. Second and I tried again on normal, used Quen and the difference it makes is unreal.

Mariusmssj

Jun 8, 2011
This is not a review, if the reviewer can't even bother to play the game why did he even put this up?
And at the end it all just came down to mocking the pc gaming.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I think part of the problem is the use of a laptop. I honestly can't imagine why he was playing a PC game on a laptop anyone who does serious gaming on a PC typically has a dedicated tower to do it on. I've always found Laptops to be inferior for gaming and typically not nearly as effective, given the small size of a keyboard and the whole issue with the heat and the fan's running full on the entire time.

tsaweeos

Nov 5, 2008
I honestly don't understand why people complain about the tutorial not telling you how to fight. The pop up messages state left click gives light/fast attack, right click for hard/strong attack and even tells you that silver weapons are for monsters and steel for humans. :S

Then again I never had any trouble with the combat since I look over the controls of a game before diving into it.

I also think it's a fresh change of gameplay to make people prepare for fights (in regards to the potion drinking) and welcome it whole heatedly. It adds a new element of strategy. Though I gotta agree with him on how annoying the process is to go through it. I'd like to skip the animation of him drinking potion if at all possible.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
As a PC gamer and fan of Witcher 2, I found a great deal of joy in listening to Yahtzee hammer on PC elitists. It's hard listening to some of them go on about the glorious PC master race, and when them and the console fanboi's go at it, it's like listening to religious zealots argue. Good show Yahtzee.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
I'm just sad he didn't have an extra cinematic bit of fun at the end like he did for the original Witcher game.

"TWENTY minutes. Puffer fish."

mrhateful

True Gamer
Apr 8, 2010
Madmanonfire said:
OT: If the two swords thing is true, then this game is downright silly.
>< its called lore, and the potion before combat is called RP. I know these concepts are not needed in consoles games where immersion is a joke, but in a truly great RPG then these things are a must.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
tsaweeos said:
I honestly don't understand why people complain about the tutorial not telling you how to fight. The pop up messages state left click gives light/fast attack, right click for hard/strong attack and even tells you that silver weapons are for monsters and steel for humans. :S

Then again I never had any trouble with the combat since I look over the controls of a game before diving into it.
Same here, I actually have found that a lot of my friends don't even bother glancing at any sort of control or guide prior to playing a game. They are content to just shove it into their xbox and start pressing buttons. Any game that doesn't explain every nuance to the player is terrible or what have you.

I typically just spend a few minutes looking over the booklet while the game installs on my PC. It's a habit, and I don't think I'd of developed it had I gamed exclusively on consoles.

Evilpigeon

Feb 24, 2011
The game gets better once you get past the trial by fire that is the beginning and learn how everything works, it's a pity you didn't put the effort in. But hey having to put effort into to learning how to play something is something that doesn't occur very often anymore is it?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Khushal said:
I dont think this actually counts as a ''review''.

It was more of a rant on PC gaming in generel...

D'oh well can't say im surprised he did not like it
Actually, I can't remember who (Yahtzee himself or someone else), but I think it's suppose to be taken as a critique, and not a review.

Also, I liked the part about how console and PC gamers share the fear and pain of thir games not working right. :) Made me feel all warm inside.