Zero Punctuation: The World Ends With You

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
Happy Birthday, you Charismatic Stallion!

Once again, an excellent review. I get the feeling that you didn't hate it as much as you do most JRPGs, but then again for you I guess that's like saying that it's better being stabbed four times instead of five. Meanwhile, I do like most JRPGs, but I can't play this one because I don't have a DS. Oh well.

Aihal

Oct 18, 2007
Great review, sums up most of the genre's problems pretty well. The strategy guide thing bugs me too, no idea what kind of idiot would actually want to buy a strategy guide for a JRPG.

Jivedriveby said:
Rod iron fence made of tigers, ahaha, loved it.
I'd guess that's wrought iron, not rod

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Wow, that well sums up why Yahtzee doesn't like JRPG's and when you weren't completely enthralled by the genre at a young age (as I was) they are quite valid criticisms.

I still will NEVER understand the MASSIVE hate on for turn based combat. I can understand not liking random encounters, number crunchy equipment/ability management and emolicious femmy heroes but I always find realtime (in RPG's) either too spastic or meaningless (except in Mass Effect, because I'm good at shooting things). I also like Turn Based Strategy Games, because the Strategy feels more strategic, less like a twitch based random fest. Sometimes in Action RPG's I feel like I'm doing nothing but pushing a single button and then executing an attack that I have to PRAY hits everything. But there's no getting through to the new generation, so I'll just live in the past with my Shadow Hearts Games, Old Final Fantasy Titles and occasional essoteric treat and hope that at least some game developers will keep making these games.

Bridgetbracer

May 26, 2008
I have heard nothing but good things about this game.

This is however coming from a community that got insanely pissed at the Brawl review, so lol.

tobyornottoby

Jan 2, 2008
I'm kinda surprised that the market for this sort of stuff is still there, considering it's really just the same format over and over again, but hey, if it'll part sweaty Otakus from their hard-earned cash, then whatever.
and say shooters aren't? ;)

The strategy guide thing bugs me too, no idea what kind of idiot would actually want to buy a strategy guide for a JRPG.
Because a lot of dialog choices and sidequests can alter certain events. So it's more of a storyline guide.

Kaos Incarnate

May 7, 2008
Halfang said:
Agreed with the review in about 80% of it.

The combat system can be set to auto, but you get better results if you are able to manage it yourself.
The food system is a bit pointless, but required in order to get the 100% of the game (in b4 crazy skills etc)
Same happens with the clothes and all that useless stuff.

I thought it was original, and I liked it.

Edit: Happy Birthday!
The food system, I like. The fashion system, I ignore unless it comes to the walls that require a certain fashion. The soundtrack to it, is bloody brilliant (in my opinion). Also I didn't mind the dialogue scenes.

Charvale

May 17, 2008
Okay, I loved this review! Considering that the game developers had a contest in Deviantart.com, it's nice to know that my suggestion for a enemy boss was not actually accepted into the game.

My monster concept was a hideous creature in a business suit... aka a professional troll.

It was my homage to Yahtzee, to see if they would accept it.

Now, I'm happy that they didn't because I thought Yahtzee stayed away from the JRPG's. It just goes to show you, anything can happen in this world.

Oh, and Happy Birthday Yahtzee.

Caliostro

Headhunter
Jan 23, 2008
k, this is officially creepy... I was just listening to "It's the end of the world as we know it" before checking out this review...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD BEN.

Anyways, awesome review, I feel yahtzee once again hit the main point on the head (and then on the testicles for good measure). The major problem with most games is that you, the player, seem to contribute bugger all to the story... It's as if you're some kind of alter ego of the main character that takes over in fights and whenever moving around is required since the "other ego" is a lazy ****... Like I'm stuck being this character I'm not and don't identify with the least... This was always what upset me the most about most games I've ever played... I reckon there's a limit to what developers can do, but if there's something that immediately sells a game for me is when they take the hitman/splinter cell approach: "This is the objective, these are the rules, get it done however you see fit".

PS: Happy Birthday Yahtzee you herculian exemplar.

MiniSween

May 28, 2008
Would love to see Final Fantasy VII reviewed here, because god knows why I love a game that is so pissy about walking around in circles to "train your stats" against the same bad guys for 20 hours.

EvilRedEye

May 28, 2008
Challenge Anneka + JRPG = WIN

Do you get to beg construction companies for free bricks, etc.? Do you end up in a complete mess if it rains? No? Awww...

Clairabel

May 28, 2008
Although I can play JRPGs and withstand most of the gameplay, I have to agree on nearly everything you've said. The combat system has left me with a twitch in my left eye and I'm getting sick of these uber-cool Japanese stock characters in games. You might as well shove some of those Japanese bints from a Gwen Stefani video in there.

It is a good game... just a bit infuriating at times.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Now we need to figure out a way to force him to review Eternal Sonata. Ah, I can only imagine... anyway, great review, and perfect song choices.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
It's strange, isn't it? Jrpgs wants us to be able to calculate tons of numbers to get the ultimate set-up, but they insult our intelligence by explaining every single little thing when it comes to the plot (usually). I bet even this 74 + 30-thingy ended with a huge "gasp!" from the main character in the dialog as opposed to a "Well obviously, asshat" as would've been far more logical. : P

hyphz

Jul 25, 2007
I actually like TWEWY, but the central point of the review is a damned good one. Yes, I was hacked off by having Joshua explain the answers to most of the puzzles in his section, too. The game does actually tell you that ANY puzzle can be solved by your partner if you wait a few seconds and talk to them, which I think is to get around the "sticking point" problem, but Joshua's are forced upon you. Ugh.

The question is though, how would an RPG work where the gameplay and story were integrated?

Poptart Fairy

Jan 31, 2008
Kaos Incarnate said:
Codgo said:
Yahtzee pretty much sumes up everything i can't stand about JRPGs. Why are these games so damn stale?
I feel that way about FPSs, except for Timesplitters...
I fail to see why people keep bringing this argument up.

"I think RPGs are stale."

"lol other genres are stale!"

I mean...yay? I think a lot of RPGs are tired and samey, that doesn't mean I immediatly class other types as awesome and original.