Zero Punctuation: The Year in Review - 2008

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
finally finished that quiz!
it took me ages, cos some of them are obvious but others have no clue to what they are unless you can remember them!

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
I don't think Yahtzee made this video folks. This is probably an Escapist Magazine created compilation while Yahtzee takes a break for the holidays. If you look in the video archives, the Console Rundown episode appears twice because Yahtzee took a break, and the kind folks at the Escapist put that video up so people didn't complain that there was no ZP.

Neosage

Elite Member
Nov 8, 2008
I feel somewhat cheated. I NEED YHATZEE
"back you wretched fanboy"
"never I NEED HIM"
*Neosage hits himself in the stomach"

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
This was a bit disapointing becuase i thought he might have said what he thought of the overall year and maybe and his thoughts on the future of video gamming.

I feel that video games are backsliding this year with all the sequals and with the exception of one or two games origional thought has died, ESPECIALLY in Nintendo games. People with any new ideas in Nintendo died years ago and will probably keep on making sequals of those same games out of a sense of nostalgia but mostly becuase its a guarrenteed sell. This has obviously been pointed out already but im also getting the feeling that pc games which are the one thing i can aim properly in are being supressed in the hopes that i will go out and buy A FREAKING XBOX. I couldent find any pc games my usual department stores at all. Does this seem strange to anyone else at all.

It is the xbox which is the best console right now. I mean the wii games i have are fun and the controls are easier to use when u get the hang of them but its got almost no games worth getting and Nintendo are marketing it for older people. Confusing them with all this wii fit crap as if it was half as benificial as actually doing traditional exercise outside. I think Nintendo has lost its appeal almost entirely

Im not really excluding the ps3 but because it wouldent be my first choice makes me think the xbox is the better console.

A console in the end will NEVER EVER be better than the pc yet i almost need the xbox to get any decent new games at all. Otherwise i have to wait a year or more to get them which im going to keep on doing. The games are always superior in quality and controls when they are realeased, too good for this computer in fact. It was recommended that you have a 7.2 ghz comp for gta4 and thats rediculous. The xbox certainly does not have that much power. Its most likely caused by having vistas unnecessary visual ram chewing wizardry and having to run gta4 at the same time. Oh and for those people who think that the games of their favourite console games wont find there way onto the computer they couldent be more wrong. Just takes more time and isnt legal i mean look at the n64 emulator.

Ive given uo hope of every being entertained by any kind of mmorpg as well i got to level 80 on wow and my first thought was what the hell do i do now? More of the same crap getting slightly better items and still being dominated by some fat kid with no life. Wow is the best rpg i mean look how much money its making and you cant expect me to take somthing like runescape seriously.

The future for video games looks grim. But they need movie scripts to go to the gamers first before games get really exicting in my opinion.

Carnikoid

Dec 24, 2008
When I saw title "year in review" I thought there will be something awesome, but it's just an edit from previous episodes :(

jebussaves88

May 4, 2008
The Sin Thesis said:
ColdStorage said:
D_987 said:
Then leave this site and don't watch Zero Punctuation - your pathetic attempts at complaining are not going to change anything; its just proving how idiotic you really are.

Nobody here will miss you...
you win todays licky licky brown nose award comment.
people on the internet have a right to moan, get used to it. If you really feel that strongly about this site and the internet then its you that needs to leave, and get out more.
Then I shall moan about your face, your horrible grammar, your face, your whining, and your face. I have a right to it, right? And if you feel so strongly about your face (amongst other things), you should leave your job which compels you to whittle away time here and get out more.
/immature argument
That comment... smooth like ice. Welcome sir. Welcome.

And for the last time, Yahtzee did not make this, the Escapist did. They gave him the week off.

SHBird

Dec 13, 2008
Aw man, clip show. It was alright, I suppose. I'd been hoping for an actual "Year in review", like he did with GDC, only covering the entire year.

Oh well, maybe we'll get that next week.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
"I will remove three of my own vertebrae, curl my spine back and eat my own ass!"

I love so many of these lines, he's very well spoken which you don't often see with reviewers. Well rethinking that after I said it I should clarify, in a sort of youtube environment where everyone tries to review but often aren't as well spoken.

danaird

Jun 23, 2008
That was horrible, most of the jokes didn't even make sense out of context and mashed together into some incoherent nonsense stream. What were awsm jokes originally have been compiled clumsily into 5 minutes of constant punchlines. It would have been better to have had no video at all.

ctt

Dec 26, 2008
is it just me or is Yathzee talking allot slower than he first did in recent videos?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
D_987 said:
ColdStorage said:
D_987 said:
Richard Groovy Pants said:
Same could be said about you now bitching about D_987 bitchiness towards the other guy.

It's called forums. We discuss stuff here.
Um..I don't know what to say about this - you kinda defended my point of view earlier, and then insult me...
haha i love that. you got totally defended then burned.

anyway, Yahtzee, here is my review of your clips of your reviews, I totally fucking enjoyed the disjointed shit of your video.

it took me four hours to write the above, and I didn't get paid for it, hence.... no fucking bitching about my shitty grammar? got it?
Your Grammars appalling =p

In all seriousness, your still going on about this? I gave up ages ago, I still stand by my beliefs - that you shouldn't complain about something for free - you say what you want.

But I'll say this - Yahtzee didn't make that video - read the description these are our favorite ZP moments (or something like that), so it seems Yahtzee didn't want to do an episode - be thankful we got anything - I certainly didn't expect one.
all of a sudden you state that I can say what I want?, didn't you ***** at someone for saying what they wanted? then claimed how everyone was stupid for bitching about something that was free of charge?.

but when the tables are turned you used the cop out arguement, "BUT YAHTZEE WORKED HARD", yep... tell that to the developers whose games get ripped by him, they clearly all phone it in.

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
ColdStorage said:
all of a sudden you state that I can say what I want?, didn't you ***** at someone for saying what they wanted? then claimed how everyone was stupid for bitching about something that was free of charge?.

but when the tables are turned you used the cop out arguement, "BUT YAHTZEE WORKED HARD", yep... tell that to the developers whose games get ripped by him, they clearly all phone it in.
Your grammar is terrible...

Heres the things - developers get paid to make games, Yahtzee gets paid to make videos.

I previously stated I can't be bothred to argue with someone who is so close-minded, particularly when people have posted supporting my claim.

Your clearly deluding yurself about your importance in society...Im not going to reply to anyone with views as distorted as yours.

ohwell

Dec 26, 2008
Factualality said:
It's hard to believe that Zero Punctuation still remains good whilst published on this escapist thing. They've probably made it their new year's resolution to fuck it up, though. I'm taking bets on the state of ZP this time next year. Odds are in favour of "unwatchable".

This is the first step. One of the bright sparks at themis-or-whatever media figures that it would be a great idea to create a "filler" episode that is just bad cuts of prior episodes mashed together with fades from beginning to (presumably) the end (I couldn't get that far) and present it with an apology. Where does it end?

We'd presumably be talking about the same bright spark that figured it would be a good idea to sue people who make parodies of ZP or hire this website's web designer.

Oh and for the love of God, people, if you didn't realise from the implications already, this video was not made by Yahtzee. You have whoever is behind whatever 'the escapist' is to thank for this.
finally someone with a bit of sense in this thread. I usually just lurk the ZP threads and gloss over most of it but this got me worked up. Here's the thing folks, every time you make something subpar you worsen your own image, brand and most importantly your integrity as an artist. I'm sorry but it's that simple. Everybody knows what "jumping the shark" means. Well, we might not be there yet but these are the early warning signs. One insidious little warning sign that something might soon lose its momentum is that it starts becoming self-referential; yahtzee likes to point this out about any offending developer whenever he gets the chance. Well, you know, when it rains it pours...

Especially when we're talking about a guy who (rightfully) makes a living ripping on poor games, and constructing well thought out jokes and arguments to back it up, with an underlying concern that gaming might not be all it ought to be.

Well if That's your trip then maybe you shouldn't repeat their mistakes and cheapen your usually spot clean image by insulting your audience and much much more importantly yourself by releasing rehashed content. I mean just look at the thread! USually ZP threads are about discussing the best jokes and how his take on a game resonates with you. In this thread we have half the people complaining that they weren't given their christmas special and half the people sucking up (sorry, that's the word) and attacking the whiners, "because, you know, it could just have been no video at all so I'm happy for what I get". What are you guys, groupies? And the "oh its free you have no right to complain" argument is pathetic at best. It's simple beggar logic. Remember when yahtzee savaged those nintendo fanboys? Remember the part where he said that Nintendo is a big boy and doesn't need little wannabees defending it? Well, that goes for this show and it goes for you too, you know who you are. You see, no video at all had been better than what we got. The problem isn't that people weren't getting their wednesday fix. The problem is that this guy or the people who manage this guy has just taken that first step down the slippery slope of mediocrity.

if yahtzee had been a poster he would have been the first to point that out

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
D_987 said:
ColdStorage said:

Your grammar is terrible...

Heres the things - developers get paid to make games, Yahtzee gets paid to make videos.

I previously stated I can't be bothred to argue with someone who is so close-minded, particularly when people have posted supporting my claim.

Your clearly deluding yurself about your importance in society...Im not going to reply to anyone with views as distorted as yours.
my importance in society?, HA, my importance to this site you mean?

you know your argument doesn't stand water, otherwise you wouldn't have tried to insult me by saying how i'm close minded, instead you would have constructed a grammatically correct retort to my deviant comments.

why don't you reply to everyone else on this thread who moaned about the video?

Meagen

Jul 24, 2008
Not only did this remind me of the best ZP jokes, I also rewatched quite a lot of old episodes to get the little quiz right. Enjoyed myself immensely!

psyk

Dec 25, 2008
All television shows are a click away does that mean they shouldn't make clip shows? and could I see your work that is of equal or more entertainment value than this. Also you do realize his not going to be doing this for ever he will stop and please saying you would of preferred it if there was something along the lines of "his out getting pissed", when your foaming at the mouth over this what would that of caused mass suicide cause you didnt get to see your internet show ahhhh..

edit just noticed this "7.2 ghz comp for gta4" HAHAHAHAHAHA you are a fool I.Muir A FOOL.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
I dunno, I thought it was quite funny you know, golden momments from an entire year of laugther and fun, though a real review would be nice :3