Zero Punctuation: Thief: The Dark Project

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Thief: The Dark Project

This week Zero Punctuation has to be a sneaky bastard in order to review Thief: The Dark Project.

Watch Video

tickle

Dec 24, 2008
Loved it, you've been on a roll recently with epic reviews:D "stealth em up" clinched it for me

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
I liked the part with the PC gaming and I overall liked this video. I need to check the Thief series out.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
That's quite a good video, now I've got some new PC games that my laptop can actually play!

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
Oh man, I didn't see this coming! I love thief, it's one of my favorite games to this date.

ProfessorLayton

Brotha That Will Smotha Yo Motha
Nov 6, 2008
I agree, when in hiding in a stealth game, there is nothing more horrifying than seein a guard walk right up to you and hoping that he doesn't notice. I've almost pissed my pants when this happens. Your heart stops, you hold your breath, and it is one of the most immersive things about stealth games.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
stiver said:
Err I don't think I have ever heard of this game.

Bah who cares about old games?
Yahtzee obviously, many other people, I do and you should.

Mrmandude

Aug 29, 2008
I remember this game it denfanatly good remembering when the guards came so close i was saying "god please please get me throught this" one of the most immersive games ive ever played

TheAesthete

Sep 28, 2008
Haven't heard of this game before? what? How have you not heard of it? oh wait your probably 12,

Anyway nice review, although i would of prefered it done in your real accent... you south african b*ll**n. Thats right, i know your secret. Oh and btw, your wrong on so many things.

klc0100

Feb 29, 2008
And now we watch thief sales rocket on steam.

Blastcage said:
Everyone who hasn't heard of Thief needs to go back to school.

VIDEOGAME SCHOOL.
That was bad. Really bad.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
While I agree with Yahtzee that he should never have to review old games at the behest of fans, his retrospective reviews always make me smile. Thief (more than likely Thief II) now joins Painkiller and Psychonauts in the pantheon of games I'll have to try and add to my collection for the sake of the occasional step into the TARDIS proxy I call my PC to recall a simpler, more innocent time before I had to deal with things like X-Box Live tossers, red rings of death, and divorce.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Games must be coming out very slowly in Australia but still a good review on an old game, in fact now that i think about it theres not one non-shooter coming out anytime soon here in america.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
"Bah who cares about old games?"

It's people like you that makes the gaming industry what it is today. An unending river of shit.

Blastcage

Jun 18, 2008
klc0100 said:

Blastcage said:

VIDEOGAME SCHOOL.
I wasn't going to put "VIDEOGAME SCHOOL" at the end initially but then it occured to me that some people may find it offensive otherwise. Hur.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Finally, a more detailed rant on Yahtzee love of stealth. It's true, who hasn't had the invisibility fantasy (involving locker rooms, of course)?

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
It's always nice when he mixes it up with the occasional old game review... even though half the time you've never heard of them

Jursa

Oct 11, 2008
Ahhhh Thief... that was a fun game back in the day and it's nice to see that Yahtzee has a pattern of just how many non great games he can review in a row :p

oJon

Jul 12, 2008
I have this game, but unfortuntly it always freezes when i come to the first guard. I blame vista.

Jan 21, 2009
I've never actually played a thief game, in fact the only stealth games I have ever played were the splinter cell series. Maybe I'll try this one out.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Blastcage said:
Yeah! Fuck contemporary videogames right in the arsehole!

Though not that I can blame him; there's shit all out at the moment.
100% Agreed.

Inverse Skies

Feb 3, 2009
00wetnoodlez said:
Games must be coming out very slowly in Australia but still a good review on an old game, in fact now that i think about it theres not one non-shooter coming out anytime soon here in america.
Yep, being down here is great fun when it comes to video game releases

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
While I've heard of Thief, I can honestly say I didn't know much about it. Thanks for this review: I love when you're being snarky, but it's nice to hear you talking about games that you like. Time to start wondering what horrid modern game you'll tear into next week?

Oirish_Martin

Nov 21, 2007
It seems like I'm the only person who actually liked the zombie levels. Bonehoard was probably the creepiest thing I'd ever experienced in a game at that point. Rope arrowing over a flight of trapped steps stealing jewels, frantically trying to manage your holy water, and freaking the fuck out when the first restless dead appeared. Awesomeness.

The sprawling building levels are also great fun, except for Constantine's house. Finding a key placed on ONE FUCKING TILE of a very large carpet was not fair in the slightest.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
"Gorn to the bear pits tomorrer. Wanna come with?"

I played all the Thief games when they were originally released, so watching this was a great bit of nostalgia. Anyone who hasn't played Thief needs to, so they can see how stealth games should be done.

And to play through The Haunted Cathedral.

"Join ussssss join ussssss join us now."

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Now this a welcome yet unexpected game to review lol! Nice one!

Sinking of the SS John Romero?! Ahaha!

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
I personally enjoyed Thief very much and as a previous poster said, I should perhaps go and look for Thief 2 now if it was even better.

Good review of a game of old, thumbs up here. :)

Xaositect

Mar 6, 2008
Yeah, the PC gaming part nearly killed me. As for the whole retrospective reviews, I think they are actually quite a good thing on the whole and they shake things up every once in a while.

Sir Ollie

The Emperor's Finest
Jan 14, 2009
Its good to see retro reviews reminds me of the good old days ahh so good yet now gone...

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Does Yahtzee ever learn to keep his thought straight, or does he need to learn to shut his fucking yap. In SH5 he claimed that fans need to shut up, now he claims that game companies need to listen to fans, if this doesn' scream that his a fucking hypocrite I don't know what does...

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
Blastcage said:
Poisoned Al said:
It's people like you that makes the gaming industry what it is today. An unending river of shit.
People like who? Yahtzee or a poster?
The poster. I buggered up, as I'm not used to this forum. I had this funny notion that the reply button on a post, replied to that post and didn't stuff a comment on the end of the page. Stupid of me to use logic I know :p

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
was it just me, or was yahtzee kind of hard to understand in this review. And don't say that I'm not used to listening to yahtzee because I've written transcripts for a bunch of his reviews. There were like 4 or 5 words i couldnt understand...
Hmm hold on i has urge to write transcript to see if i can do it ^^
brb

Tharticus

Dec 10, 2008
Retrospective Review eh? I never heard about this game but I'm willing to try it.

Also, Mr. Croshaw joked some parts of the year 1998, in which an unexpected noise just scared the living crap out of me.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Vlane said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
klc0100 said:
It's available on Steam? *goes and purchases*
But only the third game.
Thats free on Gametap.. but the last gametap game i downloaded refused to work so.. eeh

Anyway, twas a pretty good review, its nice that you could actually tell he cared about this game rather than just following the normal bashing formula.

Kompi

Feb 18, 2008
What, no mention of the Cradle? ;(

I'm disappointed, the Cradle was one of the more epic moments in PC gaming! (though the Haunted Cathedral is a decent enough substitute)

stormcaller

Sep 6, 2008
Nice, not as drop dead hillarious as some but more of a review then others. Although slapping the velociraptor "across the bons" was great :D

angelblack

Jul 3, 2008
Thief 1 was, imo, better than Thief 2 but this is of course a matter of preference. T3 was obviously sh!t except for the focking AWESOME Shalebridge Cradle level which every (true) gamer knows for being the single most horrific level of a game ever designed.

The review was nice and it's relaxing to hear Yahtzee finally say something nice about a game but it's this melancholic bastard's opinion that the game is still isn't praised enough. Thief 1 is a landmark for stealth games, it practically invented the genre and every stealth game should try to learn from it.

All in all, awesome review. It made my Wednesday :)

Mexicanbulge

Jan 15, 2009
I am soooo glad Yahtzee reviewed a thief game, i know he's a fan but it was about time.
I have to say i think the thief games are one of THE best game series available even in this day and age.
Its such a shame that they are so widely unknown about. Hopefully this will help to bolster the ranks of Thief fans!!
:D
Bes the workerings of hammerfools.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Anyone who didn't hear about this game should be ashamed.

Throw out your PC, now.

Blastcage

Jun 18, 2008
Kanashe said:
Does Yahtzee ever learn to keep his thought straight, or does he need to learn to shut his fucking yap. In SH5 he claimed that fans need to shut up, now he claims that game companies need to listen to fans, if this doesn' scream that his a fucking hypocrite I don't know what does...
Would you like some cheese with your WHINE?

You are wrong in so many ways; this compounds the whole "if you do not have perfect grammar on the internet you are always wrong" thing.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
Ah, Thief. I love those games.
I did everything in my power to beat every frikkin' level by not being seen. At all.
Great review.

Washboard

Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!
Dec 17, 2008
klc0100 said:

Blastcage said:

VIDEOGAME SCHOOL.
thats an undersatatement if you ask me :p (the bad part, not the "joke")

Blastcage

Jun 18, 2008
Avida said:
Vlane said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
klc0100 said:
But only the third game.
Thats free on Gametap.. but the last gametap game i downloaded refused to work so.. eeh

Anyway, twas a pretty good review, its nice that you could actually tell he cared about this game rather than just following the normal bashing formula.
I think he discussed how shit Thief 3 was, and I can second that somewhat (though obviously with less bile), so don't bother :p

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Simply super review - although honestly I only played the third part - and had a feeling Yahtzee would bash it - simply because fans of the series feel the same - for me - I loved Deadly Shadows - it was a new experience for me at the time - and since I am more of a TPS player I was happy that it was possible to play from a third-person view (something that also ignored the old fans) but hey it was just a possibility, the FPS view was still there.
The story was brilliant, the city was magnificent, Garrett was a great main character - it was a very detailed game I enjoyed playing with it very much - if someone doesn't know the series I suggest trying the third part at least - from my experience it cam down to the fact :
If you haven't played with the series yet it can become a great experience since you won't notice the facts and changes from the first two parts that the fans maybe complaining and ranting about. Story, gameplay, graphics can be marked as great for the third game in my point of view.

Also the 9th chapter which takes place in a haunted orphanage was one of the scariest times I spent in a videogame :)

SgtFlaman

Oct 15, 2007
I think I only played the first game once or twice. Might need to go back and revisit the series now.

And since when is Yahtzee anything but a charismatic stallion?

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Blastcage said:
Kanashe said:

You are wrong in so many ways; this compounds the whole "if you do not have perfect grammar on the internet you are always wrong" thing.
Now, but would you like to go and fuck yourselfe? I think Yahztee can use another dick sucker

cannedpeaches

Oct 23, 2008
I didn't mind Deadly Shadows so much, excepting the ridiculous fence system, the faction drama, and the underground city full of FUCKING MURLOCS.

Blastcage

Jun 18, 2008
Kanashe said:
Blastcage said:
Kanashe said:

Now, but would you like to go and fuck yourselfe? I think Yahztee can use another dick sucker
What wit!

kavinsky

Feb 11, 2009
Well I did like the forced stealth setions in nolf, so I guess i'll have to do the same volucer.
and as for yahtzee, very educational as always.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
stiver said:

The people who have played a good games do. The theif games are great. One of the best games ever. The best games where made in the 90's. Sure it sad to say that when the grapgic where bad and the engines where limited but that maybe why the games where so good. Now a days games makes are all about copy and paste game after game after game. Where they spend 99% of their money on graphic and a physic engines. The resualt is the game looks great it feels great but it has leaves you with nothing to do sence the story seems to been scribbled in at the last 5 mins. The AI is just as dumb as bricks so having it on ultra hard is just to easy. The gameplay is always lacking to make you even want to force your self to finish the game. Worsest of all is the need to make the game 5 hours long and then force you to spend 900 hours of multiplayer to get your moneys worth of the game. If I want to shoot people up I would not go to a game. I just unload a few clips in the nearest mall for my multiplayer. At less then they do not cheat/hack/explote or even lag for that matter. Game of the next gene are quickly falling under the rent/torrent group. It pains me to say but anytime I hear hype about any game comming out I put it in the shit group sence I tend to find the more hype the worse the game is.

Stevey M

Technobabbler
Feb 11, 2009
I know of the Thief games, but never really took a good look at them. I think I may have to check them out. Thanks for the review, Yahtzee.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
I always wanted to play Thief. Actually, I bought Thief. The only problems seems to be that old computer games only play on old computers! I tries every single way to get it to work but failed, it still freezes after the intro :( So now it's just collecting dust, at least I can say I tried.

Avida

Oct 17, 2008
Blastcage said:
I think he discussed how shit Thief 3 was, and I can second that somewhat (though obviously with less bile), so don't bother :p
Heh, ok, reccomendation noted. I suppose i have a habit of not taking his critism seriously, when i hear yahtzee say something's shit that roughtly translates to a 'meh' or above as far as im concerned. In fact some of the gameplay videos i've seen actually looked really good.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
ah yes the stealth gameplay, very good choice Yahtzee. Whenever i play one of these games, like splinter cell, i can feel my heart pounding in my chest as if im really there sneaking through the CIA(splinter cell 1) or Soeul South Korea(splinter cell chaos theory) and yes i know i might have spelled Soeul wrong but who cares. Point being these kinds of games are very well done and fun to play in their own way.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Running commentary:
11:01: Oh... I see Yahtzee made the most recent post in the Featured Content forum. Let's see what it is...
11:02: Huh? The thread isn't showing up on the forum! Refresh... still not showing up. Back/forward, still nothing...
11:03: Let's head elsewhere and see if there's a link... oh, so there is. Here's the thread. Let's see what he's reviewing... uh oh, I remember him taking a few snipes at this one in his other reviews...
11:04: And we're off:

REVIEW:
00:19: Huh? A game he liked? I could have sworn he took some shots at it before...
00:25: If I ever commit murder, I'm going to write THAT on the wall.
00:33: Now THAT line will get some attention...
00:37: This line, on the other hand, I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone who cares anymore.
00:41: Okay, I need to pause and see if that was what I thought it was... yes, it was.
00:56: And they haven't moved past that limit since.
01:06: One of the few times on which I unreservedly agree with Yahtzee.
01:19: That tone of voice rarely means anything good...
01:32: I'd like to see a casual game where the graphics all look like that and you can only track the characters by their eyes.
01:53: I wish they'd make a game where characters swear in Chinese (hint, hint).
01:59: Anyone who catches that reference should win a prize.
02:02: I confess I wasn't expecting that.
02:11: Trust me, THIS isn't what you should be worried about. And nice coat.
02:19: Somewhere, you know someone's masturbating to this...
02:26: Good thing you included the "reasonable person" qualifier, because some people like that too.
02:50: You just know this will become a new meme.
03:00: I like him already.
03:07: Redundant redundancy alert...
03:12: Ah, so THIS is what sets them apart from regular rent-a-cops. I was wondering.
03:42: Too squeamish to make the magazine cover a picture of furry hentai? Yahtzee, I still like some of the 3D Sonic games, and even I think you should have done that.
03:50: Yahtzee channeling Dr. Seuss... a disturbing combination.
04:00: So much for listening to the fans.
04:06: That explains that.
04:24: It's going to be the Imp under there, I just know it.
04:28: Yep.
04:32: Too much information, Yahtzee.
04:35: I don't get it.

LesIsMore

Jul 22, 2008
Wow, that came out of nowhere - and it was a blissful change of pace as well. Thief II firmly sits in my top 5 games of all time, and replaying it a few months ago was a marvelous descent into old-time quality gaming.

And he is right - PC gaming doesn't matter anymore, at least to me when I realized that an Xbox 360 could play virtually every game out there. Slight hardware issues were a minor storm next to not having to upgrade every six weeks to deal with graphical upgrades.

DorianSilver

Feb 11, 2009
That was so sexy.
Day Of The Tentacle, System Shock 2, or Alice next plz.
I need to pull out my Windows 98 and get back into good gaming.

Zeraki

WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOOOOOOOOR!?
Legacy
Apr 9, 2020
New Jersey
Country
United States
stiver said:

I think it would be safe assume that you're a graphics wh**e who only buys video games for how pretty they look, and nothing else. A lot of gamers care about older games, mostly because the majority of current generation games can't hold a candle to most of them. But with an attitude like that you don't strike me as a real gamer.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Yahtzee's Psychonauts review inspired me to try that out and I am forever grateful that I did, but I don't see that happening with this. It's not a knock on Yahtzee, but I simply do not like stealth games. It seems though that if you DO like stealth games that this one is the one to go for.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Oirish_Martin said:
It seems like I'm the only person who actually liked the zombie levels.
Nope. Down in the Bonehoard and Lost City were two of my favourite Thief levels. I was actually disappointed by the fact that "dungeon" levels were cut out of Metal Age, although not nearly enough to make me love it any less.

Thief is my Mona Lisa, my War and Peace, an absolute pinnacle of design and execution in an art form for which I have a very deep appreciation, admiration and respect. And I think it represents something sadly absent from contemporary game creation: A willingness to take risks in dedication to a unique creative vision. Casual button-mashers won't get much out of it, but for people who take their games seriously, for whom story, immersion and depth of experience really matter, it was, and is, an amazing thing.

And for those who haven't had the opportunity to play it, it seems to run fine under XP. Not sure about Vista, and some people have reported complications (although relatively simple workarounds are available) but I've installed and run it under XP with no modifications at all. And even now, more than a decade later, it's still an amazingly compelling game. Not one to be missed.

Jabbawocky

Sep 3, 2008
Jeez I have this game packed away in a dusty box some where, although I might actually be able to understand the concept of stealth now, unlike when I was 12 and thought that sword fighting was what the game was based on. No wonder it was really difficult. Good review.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I'm not particularly partial to stealth games (IOW I want to kill whoever suggested throwing stealth into every random action game ever) but Thief confused me more with its undead or whatever levels, after many, MANY, tries I finally get through the first level without being spotted when suddently... I'm at the bottom of a mine shaft or something with some zombies around and no clue as to what I'm supposed to do. Not that I really suspect I'd have played any further if the level had been regular stealth but it still confused me.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Haha I think it's kind of funny that he mentions the fantasy of turning invisible and going into a girl's changing room, that's exactly what you can do in MGS 1.

Nice review, I really prefer his positive and inspiring ones

Feb 13, 2008
I dunno. I'm just I'm just diametrically opposed to Yahtzee on some things. Thief was boring as hell for me, I'll admit it had some great game/writing and effects in there; but there was always that little bit where you made a mistake and then thousands of people descended on you and kicked your ass back to Reload central and...

It was just too much like being at work.

Archaon6044

Oct 21, 2008
i've only played deadly shadows, and i thought it was freaking awesome, though some levels (like the Cradle) were pants-wettingly scary.

if it's the worst out of the 3, i'm gonna try and get me hands on the other 2 as well.

review was great! i do always try and take the sneaky way in games if one is available

fat american

Apr 2, 2008
while that was a good review he needs to play the first halo. I think he might actually enjoy it. Every now and then I go back to play it just because of how simple and fun it is. It's one of those things I can't figure out why I like it I just do. I'm surprised he thought it had regenerating health.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I think I saw my brother playing this a few times, but this was back when I was genuinely scared of stealth games (The "!" sound when you get caught in Metal Gear Solid would make me jump every time.) so I wasn't too keen to try it, but it looked pretty interesting. I think a friend of mine has this game somewhere so I should do my best to sneak into his house and steal it from him.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Archaon6044 said:
i've only played deadly shadows, and i thought it was freaking awesome, though some levels (like the Cradle) were pants-wettingly scary.

if it's the worst out of the 3, i'm gonna try and get me hands on the other 2 as well.

review was great! i do always try and take the sneaky way in games if one is available
Same thing I thought. I consider Thief 3 a really great game.

Thank God the best Polish magazine CD-Action had all of the Thief games on cover CD/DVDs.

Jabbawocky said:
Jeez I have this game packed away in a dusty box some where, although I might actually be able to understand the concept of stealth now, unlike when I was 12 and thought that sword fighting was what the game was based on. No wonder it was really difficult. Good review.
Yeah, it's one of those genres you have to grow up to. I tried to slash my way through Thief, then I noticed (after two years ;d) that it's easier to sneak from behind, stab and drag the body.

And then pee on it.

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Kanashe said:
You're either a troll, or way too thickheaded. Developers need to listen to fans to correct stuff, and not listen to the ZOMG-KAWAII-SEPHIROTH-SHOULD-BE-IN-EVERY-FINALFANTASY kind. Y'know, the kind that makes horrible fan fictions with self insertions.

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
I wasn't too much of a fan of this video (except his early mention of murders and the blood note on his wall lol) but I did like how he finally reviewed a game that's he's mentioned in previous reviews (no idea which one specificall). It inspired me to check out the Thief series in the near-future

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Inriri said:
Kanashe said:
You're either a troll, or way too thickheaded. Developers need to listen to fans to correct stuff, and not listen to the ZOMG-KAWAII-SEPHIROTH-SHOULD-BE-IN-EVERY-FINALFANTASY kind. Y'know, the kind that makes horrible fan fictions with self insertions.
And when they listen to fans they end up in mediocre repetivive bullshit like Nintendo, and LucasArts, thanks but NO thanks. For me it's better when Developers say to fans "fuck you, and eat a bag of dick" and do stuff their own way

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Kanashe said:
And when they listen to fans they end up in mediocre repetivive bullshit like Nintendo, and LucasArts, thanks but NO thanks. For me it's better when Developers say to fans "fuck you, and eat a bag of dick" and do stuff their own way
That would be listening to the latter. Can't fix shit without an outside opinion

FirmlyUninformative

Nov 17, 2008
Hah. Nice Enigma of the Amigara Fault reference.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have this game somewhere. Sadly the first and last time I tried it was when I was young and stupid and probably didn't have much patience for stealth-'em-ups.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
Another victim claimed by the "Press X" killer. After the sudden deaths of Ms. M. Edge and Mr. T. Human last year and Mrs. T. Raider last month, the "Press X" killer has become feared by many and has been officially become a serial killer, according to the Sherbet Kingdom Police Dept. They are also keeping an eye on a small group of fanatical worshippers of the "Press X" killer, who have a tendency to become violent if anyone mentions the brutal slaying of Sir Halo III.
If you meet the "Press X" killer, it is advised you either hide in the shadows, or equip yourself with a penis-extension gun and PRESS X TO NOT DIE!

stoosh95

Feb 11, 2009
For a ton of info on this game (as well as how to get it to run on VISTA or XP) I found ttlg.com to be most helpful.

A direct link to their thief forums can be found here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

stoosh95

Feb 11, 2009
FYI ... thief 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time ... the difficulty settings never actually changed the game (eg ... most games increase the damage or increase the HP of enemies) in thief the difference between easy and hard was usually "don't kill anyone" or "find at least X gold" .

Expert usually added "Remain undetected".

Sayne

Feb 11, 2009
Thief The Dark Project and Thief II are, in my opinion, two of the very best games ever made for the PC. It ranks among the Sublime Baldur's Gate series and the Half Life series, and in many ways it is better.

It was so immersive and the story telling and voice acting was absolutely fantastic... and in some levels (the Haunted Cathedral, and Return to the Cathedral) downright horrifying. Anyone who's played this game and hasn't about crapped their pants when they encounter a Haunt is made of sterner stuff than most.

As for getting it to work on modern PCs, it seems to work alright on Vista (at least for me) but the engine simply cannot handle multi-core processors. You have to set the program's affinity to only one core in Task Manager every time you run it, else it'll crash about 2 seconds after you start a level. There is a permanent work-around, but I've always been too lazy to use it.

The game is available for cheap on EBay if you don't own it... and there are lots of mods (like improved textures) available at www.ttlg.com as well as an active Fan-made missions community (some of the missions are very, very good).

It's a very rewarding game, and wholeheartedly recommended.

sozomai

Feb 6, 2009
Excellent. Thief TDP is easily in my top 5, and I run through a level about once a month or so. As far as atmosphere goes, I put Thief right under Half-Life 2.

All stealth games owe the Thief series a great debt, and none IMO have come close to replicating the true atmosphere of stealth-gameplay Thief creates.

oJon said:
I have this game, but unfortuntly it always freezes when i come to the first guard. I blame vista.
Thief has an issue with multi-core processors on newer systems.
Quick fix: Start Thief, ctrl+alt+del to task manager, right click "Thief.exe" under processes, 'Set Affinity', and make sure that only 1 CPU is checked. (Doesn't matter which).

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Every time he says something bad about the first halo game I die a little inside ;(

But anyway, great review/retrospect/whatever that further boosted the interest I already had for this game series Ive never experienced.

Bobble_Hat

Mar 5, 2008
Brilliant stuff. One of the best game series ever, PC or console. It just so happens I had Thief sat on my desk ready to be played after I've played through Deadly Shadows again, and it was a nice surprise seeing it reviewed on here, despite being 11 years old. And although Deadly Shadows is the weakest of the three, it's still better than most other games ever. Bring on Thief 4.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
sozomai said:
It also has issues with the newer Geforce drivers. Theres not much tecnical support for old dark engine games now unfortunately.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Kanashe said:
Nintendo? LucasArts? Listen to fans? The two companies you mentioned specifically couldn't be any further from that. Nintendo ignores pretty much everything they hear from their fans for better or worse, they listen only to the sound of cash registers opening. Same goes for LucasArts. Its all about the money flow, and so long as it continues then LucasArts will pump out StarWars games that should be shunned and Nintendo will continue to completely ignore existing fanbases and focus on wooing over new ones with the same product plus or minus a new gimmick. Taking fan suggestions is perfectly fine, though, so long as they take a grain of salt with it and think for themselves whether or not it'd help or hurt the franchise. Also, you have quite the vocabulary there...

Anyway, as to the actual review, stealth games are fine but any developer that decides he or she should put stealth levels in non-stealth games needs to be fired. Preferably out of a cannon at point blank range into a brick wall. Its perfectly fine in a horror game or an FPS where you're playing as a secret agent. But not in any game thats supposed to focus on action and shooting stuff.

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
sozomai said:
It also has issues with the newer Geforce drivers. Theres not much tecnical support for old dark engine games now unfortunately.
But there is PLENTY of community support. The community helped me with every problem I had

CaptainPicard

Feb 11, 2009
Yahtzee is preaching, and I am among the choir.

I feel the exact same way about PC gaming in general, as well as Thief 1/2/3. It makes me sad that people have no clue how much better Thief 2 was than 3 because they have never played it. Without knowledge of this game, they don't know how much better 3 could have been. Cradle is good, but it doesn't make up for the many problems Thief 3 has.

At least a lot of people recognize the similar dumbing down that occurred with Deus Ex 1 and 2.

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Rodger said:
Kanashe said:
Nintendo? LucasArts? Listen to fans? The two companies you mentioned specifically couldn't be any further from that. Nintendo ignores pretty much everything they hear from their fans for better or worse, they listen only to the sound of cash registers opening. Same goes for LucasArts. Its all about the money flow, and so long as it continues then LucasArts will pump out StarWars games that should be shunned and Nintendo will continue to completely ignore existing fanbases and focus on wooing over new ones with the same product plus or minus a new gimmick. Taking fan suggestions is perfectly fine, though, so long as they take a grain of salt with it and think for themselves whether or not it'd help or hurt the franchise. Also, you have quite the vocabulary there...

Anyway, as to the actual review, stealth games are fine but any developer that decides he or she should put stealth levels in non-stealth games needs to be fired. Preferably out of a cannon at point blank range into a brick wall. Its perfectly fine in a horror game or an FPS where you're playing as a secret agent. But not in any game thats supposed to focus on action and shooting stuff.
Hmmm...Alright, I stand corrected with Nintendo and LA. My bad, I ofcourse do agree, that sometimes the developes should listen to the fans, but well fans aren't help all the time. Sometimes they can be annoying or even act like all knowing ass holes.

Grampy_bone

Mar 12, 2008
I will be interesting to see if this review causes a sales spike for the Thief games. Also, the studio developing Deus Ex 3 hinted they were also making Thief 4.

willgreg123

Aug 4, 2008
I find it very odd how at least the first two people who post on these Zero Punctuation forum topics always manage to get suspended.

But anyhow, if I was a bigger jerk and a little dumber, I'd probably say something like "OMG, WORLD TRADE CENTER JOKE, MUST GO COMPLAIN NOW" but luckily I was brought up to have a sense of humor. Still, Yahtzee may want to at least try to be careful with his... oh, who the fuck am I kidding, eh? Yahtzee being sensitive would be like a soldier on the battlefield using his gun to fire friendship instead of bullets.

Anyhow, this is a game I've always wanted to check out. I do hope that Yahtzee gets to do more of these kind of reviews. Personally I'm still curious of his measurements of a good adventure game. He did mention Grim Fandango and Monkey Island, but my favorite has always been Sam and Max. Possibly because of all the highbrow humor.

willard3

Aug 19, 2008
stoosh95 said:
FYI ... thief 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time ... the difficulty settings never actually changed the game (eg ... most games increase the damage or increase the HP of enemies) in thief the difference between easy and hard was usually "don't kill anyone" or "find at least X gold" .

Expert usually added "Remain undetected".
Normal was usually "get your main item" with a few directions on how to do so, and occasionally a "get out of the level." Hard added "get out of the level", a miscellaneous loot requirement, possibly a side valuable to pick up, and occasionally a killing or knockout limitation. Expert invariably had everything from Hard, adding "don't kill ANYONE" and a higher loot requirement. Oh, and there were more patrols in Hard and Expert.

Thief 1 was excellent, though the later levels where there were nothing but burricks, ratmen, and the undead got really annoying. Thief 2 was excellent, though I've only played the first maybe 4 levels...definitely back-to-basics with more stealing and human opponents...hell, the second level's premise is that your rent is due and you need to resort to petty theft from dock warehouses.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Haha, awesome review! I loved Thief back in the day, great game.

And I loved the little quote about "Gorn to the bear pits" in the credits, that was hilarious to listen to in the game.

Great job Yahtzee, this probably has to be my new favorite ZP!

sgtshock

Feb 11, 2009
Hey, long time lurker, first time poster.

This review had perfect timing, as I actually just finished Thief 1 for the first time a few weeks ago. I got Theif: Deadly Shadows back in 2004 for the Xbox (as my PC was utter crap back then), and loved it. But try as I did, I could never find the first two games. Then, I finally found a copy of both games on Amazon.com, and after some trouble getting it to work on my XP computer (if you're having trouble, and you have a multicore PC, try going to task manager and setting THIEF.exe's affinity to only one CPU), I finally played it.

Aside from the monster levels Yahtzee mentioned, (Ugh, Bonehoard...) and some control issues (Quicksave = f11 and quickload = f12?) I thought it was brilliant. It was scary, atmoshperic, and had a great story. And of course, it had the intense gameplay I loved from Thief 3. I thought it was neat how Return to the Cathedral had parallels to the Cradle in T3 (i.e. ghost wants you do to series of tasks to 'free' it). And I just started Thief 2, and from what I've played so far (I just finished the Framed mission) it's even better than the first. If you haven't had a chance to play this series yet, you owe it to yourself. The third one is on Steam and the first two can probably be found online with some searching.

runtheplacered

Oct 31, 2007
xTitanium Wolfx said:
I like this episode but I was expecting that you where going to review Skate 2
That'd make for a pretty boring review.

"There's another skateboarding game out". "It's.... Well, do you like skating? Yes? Then it's fun. Don't care about skating? Then it's pretty boring".

The end.

Chadling

Oct 8, 2008
It's quite a good game, but I gotta admit that Yahtzee, that charismatic stallion, is completely correct; it's a niche genre.

How so?

I have the second game, and I didn't make it past the second level before I decided to uninstall it and play something that appeals a bit more to my tastes. I might dig it out of the closet, now that I've been reminded of it.

And I really hope that Yahtzee didn't just insult No One Lives Forever. That game is love.

Bullfrog1983

Dec 3, 2008
Great review! I can remember parts of the game exactly how you described it with the guards inches away from your face looking around for you, feeling sheer terror (at least for me) that Garret would fart or something to give himself away. The part about the first thief I didn't like though was if guards were alerted to your presence you couldn't just shoot them in the head with an arrow and kill them. At least in my version that is what happened, the buggers took like 10-15 of them to die. Thief 2 was a lot of fun too, but I didn't get to play that one very often because the copy I played was my bro's and he took it away when I was halfway through it and the Third one I bought thinking it would be the best game ever... and well I returned it a few days later.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Midnight Voyager said:
But there is PLENTY of community support. The community helped me with every problem I had
True, but it would be a lot less hassle if Nvidia made a bit more of an effort to support the engine.

cutekittenkyti

Dec 12, 2007
I'm back! Ok in the transcript there are a couple of places where I put asterisks * * around the words or phrases that confused me or couldn't understand. Also I'm American so I did my best with all the different words Yahtzee used for head, so forgives me if my spelling is bad.

Thief: The Dark Project

Once again it?s time to retrospectively review an old game I?ve actually liked. Breaking up the emotionally draining output of cold emotionless hatred and giving further fuel for the construction of my psychological profile some years from now after the murders begin.

Today we?re going back to the primitive days of 1998. Back when the world trade center was still defiantly sticking two fragile fingers up at the looming threat of global insurgency. Bill Clinton was wholeheartedly regretting Monica Lewinski?s choice of dry cleaner and of course PC gaming still mattered.

(Shouting SFX)

As it does to this day.

(Baby Giggle SFX)

A company called Looking Glass Studios, tired of making flight simulators that nobody bought, released Thief: The Dark Project. What with PC gaming still mattering and the brown glory of Quake having been pooed out two years previously, the FPS was riding high. But it was fast becoming clear that many developers had reached the limits of what could be achieved with putting the player on one side of a big, black, death cock and a succession of eager spread-eagled monsters on the other.

It would be some time before Halo would come along and revolutionize the genre with limited weapon capacity, regenerating health and being generally shit. So it was left to Thief to have strange and deviant thoughts like: What if there was a first person game where you were trying to achieve something other than genocide? Where even one or two measly deaths would have the game slap your hands away from the controls and yell, ?What the fuck?!? And thus was born the *stealthamub*.

The philosophy of the Thief games was that barging into the enemy strong hold and repainting the lobby in spinal fluid was all very well. But a really skilled infiltrator should never have to kill. And ideally the enemy shouldn?t even know they?ve been there, except that all the lights have stopped working and the whole place seems a lot less wealthy somehow.

The games have three great strengths that place them above all subsequent attempts at stealth game play: being constantly aware of exactly how visible you were, sprawling non linear maps that rewarded diligent exploration, and the fact that you could actually defend yourself if necessary. Unaware guards could be taken out with a cosh. But even if you buggered up the stealthing so hard your dick came out its nose, there was rarely an instant game over for it. Worst case scenario was you?d wind up having to fight off a train of 16 sword-wielding-thugs yelling made up swear words. But if you were skilled enough to get through that, it would still be always quite possible to steal all the lord?s ermine robes and stick his toothbrush up your bum before you leave.

People have said to me, ?Yahtzee! You ordinary person. How can a stealth game be possibly fun when the game play discourages actively dealing with the hazards in favor of hiding under tables waiting for them to go away? Bleh, I say, Bleh!?

Well this may reflect poorly on me as a person, but *I?ve had a lot of fun* to be voyeuristic in nature. Don?t tell me you?ve never had fantasies of invisibility? Usually while simultaneously contemplating the nearest convenient changing room of the opposite sex. Not that a reasonable person can profitably ogle the guards in *some word I can?t understand* Thief. This was still the early days of full 3D, so they all looked and moved like badly made origami polio victims.

But there was nothing more impishly entertaining than hiding in a shadow listening to a pair of thicko guards discuss nose picking strategies. Then when they heard your stifled giggling, there was nothing more tense then standing stock still, with breath caught, as the fore said thickos peered searchingly into the shadows. So close you could practically see the polygonal nostril hairs quivering, as you pray to a god you?ve never believed in that they?ll turn around and facilitate a nice swift boff across the bonce.

Stealing riches in gameplay was fun, but it was the richness of the writing that kept me coming back, masterfully executed link.

The developers understood that it takes a certain kind of person to enjoy this sort of thing and tailored the main character accordingly. Garrett, a misanthropic anti-social loner. Making snarky comments to liven up the dark silent corners he hung around in. An *approvingly unheroic character* of the situation, the NPC?s he pitted his wits against were generally bored inattentive rent a cops loudly voicing their every slightest day dream, quick to dismiss suspicious noises and sights as the work of imagination or extremely large and resourceful rats. This may explain why Garrett has such contempt for them that he goes around wearing tap shoes that make loud noises when stepping on anything harder than a bathroom rug.

All these beautifully voiced and characterized tosspots live in a pseudo medieval fantasy city where natural magic and steam punk technology are constantly at war. A war that Garrett keeps getting pulled into despite being constantly determined to not give a shit. It seems that even the developers themselves didn?t quite believe that people would like stealth game play. So the first Thief forced itself to include a lot of zombie and monster killing, neither of which responded encouragingly to bops across the bonce.

But Looking Glass proved themselves to be diametrically opposed to say, Sonic Team and actually listened to the fans. The 2000 sequel, creatively named Thief II, was the peak of the series. Where the sneaking was the *sneaksiest* and the sprawly levels were the sprawliest. The third game, Thief: Deadly Shadows in 2004, was sadly over the peak and speeding down hill fast. In its haste to suckle at the teat of current generation graphics it dropped the sprawling nonlinear levels down a flight of stairs and suffered for it. But by then Looking Glass Studios had already closed its doors. Another drowned surfer in the treacherous ever changing tide of the game?s industry. Sadly caught in the great big Eidos whirlpool formed by, amongst other things, the sinking of the SS John Romero. A fate undeserved you might say. But since the popularity of Thief led to the misguided trend for forced stealth sections in action games, I think we can call this one karmatically even.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
Ah, now that was pretty good, higher quality than usual, with a plethora of unexpected sight-gags that were genuinely lol-worthy. e.g. Mecha-Gandolf!

So: Thief. Yahtzee makes a good point in that it was indeed an interesting game in that it took the tired old FPS genre in an entirely new direction. Maybe more games should stop worrying about minor quibbles like vehicles and sprawling worlds and instead investigate ways to change the central activity to things other than gun people down in fascinating ways. If there's a dividing line between clone and innovation, the central activity is a likely contender.

Granted, Mirrors Edge could be said to have tried to do that, and Yahtzee wasn't impressed.

neilobremski

Feb 11, 2009
You just reviewed my favorite game damn you! Oh wait ... you liked it. Cool, I guess we're cool then. My favorite "quote" from this game, that I use to distraction, is the sound guards make when you whack 'em good and they go "ouch, OUCH! Ha ha HA!" and then freak out and run.

squall24

Feb 11, 2009
oJon said:
Its not vista fault entirely, just part of it. Your problem is that the dark engine can't handle more then one processor at a time. Make Thief run in single core and it won't freeze anymore. Also, as one know this game is from 98, its not a huge deal, but you may want to look into the HD patches that will scale it to fin most modern day monitors.

Also, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but if anyone, even /yahtzee if he reads these things hasn't played Thief 2X shadows of the metal ages they really should. Its fan made yes, but runs off the dark engine and the Thief 2 disc. Some levels are even better then the ones in Thief 2 itself.

Lucifus

Dec 3, 2008
hahaha that was great. I did like the series even when i stopped half way through due to annoyance.

Sayne

Feb 11, 2009
squall24 said:
oJon said:
Also, I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but if anyone, even /yahtzee if he reads these things hasn't played Thief 2X shadows of the metal ages they really should. Its fan made yes, but runs off the dark engine and the Thief 2 disc. Some levels are even better then the ones in Thief 2 itself.
T2X is Great, almost better than Thief 2.

Hallow'sEve

Sep 4, 2008
I still think Splinter Cell (Chaos Theory) did stealth better. But then again, in one you're a secret agent trying to save the world. The other....well, you're a thief.

whindmarch

Jul 9, 2006
For kicks, since it's sort of topical again, here's my Escapist article looking at the writing of THIEF and SPLINTER CELL: CHAOS THEORY from back when:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_37/226-Magic-Words

THIEF was a profound game.

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
I loved the expectation/disappointment you pulled on us with "Yahtzee! You... completely ordinary person." Brilliance.

mGoLos

Nov 7, 2007
You just made me realize that pc-gaming hardly matter anymore and in spirit of that I feel a personal need to remind you of a not-so little gem called RESISTANCE 2!!

Review it already!

It's becoming a bit embarassing because like thief (and the sequel), it's an awesome fucking game! :D

Reaperman Wompa

Aug 6, 2008
Evilbunny said:
Oh man, I didn't see this coming! I love thief, it's one of my favorite games to this date.
That. Haven't played the earlier ones but managed to find Deadly Shadows and loved it. Hope the rumors about another come true.

blinkgun96

Dec 15, 2008
I'm not trying to start anything, but i think its funny how in his Halo 3 review he said he never played the first two, but he constantly pokes fun at the first one.

Samexf

Jan 23, 2009
I picked up both Theif 1 + 2 up on a whim for a mindbogglingly low £1. Not each. For both. Best £1 I ever spent on a game. In fact, I'm gonna have to install them on my new laptop now.

Nerdfury

I Can Afford Ten Whole Bucks!
Feb 2, 2008
Thief was awesome. Now I want to see more older games reviewed. I say 'older' because I'm not of this current fucked up generation that calls anything made before 2000 'old' and 'shitty.'

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Sylocat said:
01:53: I wish they'd make a game where characters swear in Chinese (hint, hint).
I see you like Firefly as well. Not sure that you could make a game out of it though.

Ryuzaki

The Public Face of L
Nov 5, 2008
Great review. I knew that he liked the thief series as hes quoted it before and now I have the urge to find out what these games are like.
Can't wait till next weeks.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I applaud Yahzee for this review. I never expected I'd hear him rant about it and it warms my heart to hear that he actually enjoyed it :D

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I think I played Thief when I was a kid, but I didn't have the patience for it. Hell, I don't even think I understood stealthing.

Still, I should look it up. Great review yahtzee.

GoblinOnFire

Jul 28, 2008
oJon said:
You should!

It's nice to see that old Ben is still able to reinvent himself, and not just recycling his old rants *cough* Far Cry review *cough*

I love the Thief games franchise so much I could marry it...(I proposed to it, but is still waiting for an answer)

EDIT: Dang spelling is broken again..

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
mastertang said:
I'm going to have to check out thief but one question. When was Hitman a "stealth" game?
I would consider Blood Money a stealth game. You have to hide, steal stuff, kill people, change your outfit etc.

How is it not a stealth game?

PirateKing

Nov 19, 2008
I liked it when young Yahtzee and his friend were astonished at the cube. "It has depth!"

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Was waiting for this one. Got Thief I recently, so Thief II is better then?

I'll have to check it out.

"THEY DON'T MAKE BEARS LIKE THEY USED TO."

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Great review: the Thief series is deserving of any attention that can be pointed its way; if you haven't played them, do so. www.ttlg.com is a good resource on where to get them and how to make them run on your system. Also, there are some fan-made levels and texture updates available from there that are well worth the trouble. (note tho: due to the low-poly counts limited by the Dark Engine, they'll still look blocky as all hell.)

I miss Looking Glass Studios. From Ultima: Underworld all the way to System Shock 2, they produced quality games, not simply focusing on graphics, but also having the highest possible production values for sound, story, etc. We need more studios that put an emphasis on this, and we need to reward them by buying thier product.

Oh, and arguably, without Thief, there would BE no Splinter Cell.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Excellent video. One minor quibble: don't blame Looking Glass for the forced stealth sections in games. THEY weren't responsible for that shit. Look no further than Hideo Kojima for that.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Interesting review. I enjoy hearing about "the good old days" when bugger all is coming out.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Aw man... and here I was hoping that you would review a bad game... then I saw that Thief was your choice this week, so I knew that you had picked a good game.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Oh and I forgot there is also rumors of a new Thief game - a new developer team at Eidos has announced that they are working on creating a new episode for an AAA category a.k.a. very good quality game which name starts with a letter T. Since the only other game that would fit this description is Tomb Raider is in the hands of Crystal Dynamics - we can all hope that Garrett will stalk the shadows in the future once again :)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Ryuzaki said:
Sylocat said:
I see you like Firefly as well. Not sure that you could make a game out of it though.
They were planning to make a Firefly MMO, not sure what happened to that.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
One thing. To the mods/admins. Why don't you ban them (dudes who come and say l0lz0rz b00llzorz I POSTED FIRST l0l0l0l!).

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
ph3onix said:
One thing. To the mods/admins. Why don't you ban them (dudes who come and say l0lz0rz b00llzorz I POSTED FIRST l0l0l0l!).
Because those guys who post stuff like "first" already get banned? Look at the first three comments in this thread.

And you can report guys you don't like anyway and somebody may ban them.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I really must play a thief game one day. Even though waiting about in shadows seems abit meh.

xxheadremoverxx

Jan 30, 2009
yahtzee why did you put down as splinter cell chaos theory as a game that uses bad stealth? all it consist of you staying in the shawdows, make very little noise, not kiling a guard using a shot to the chest with your assult rifle while other guards are around to kill you faster and using night or thermal vision.

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Ryuzaki said:
Sylocat said:
I reckon it would work as an RPG. Then again, I grew up playing a certain tabletop RPG that you'd be forgiven for thinking was the direct inspiration for Firefly but apparently wasn't.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
What the hell? He still hasn't reviewed half the major summer releases!

And no. The stealth genre is never about feeling like the victim, wherein you actually hide because you're waiting for the scary men to go away. Its about feeling like a tormentor - an unstoppable sadistic genius penetrating any situation on your wits alone - this is really why the best Stealth series (Metal Gear Solid and Hitman) have assassination as your end goal. The huge non-linear levels is also pretty much a must, but then thats what makes it a stealth game. And although combat should be available, the end result should be that you are told that you are very stupid for having been seen.

Burninator 94

Feb 11, 2009
I nearly crapped my pants when Yahtzee said the main character's name was Garrett.
My name is also ironically Garrett. They should make more games with "me" in it.

kilsek

Feb 11, 2009
I only played the demo of Thief, being a knuckle dragging FPS braintard, addicted to the endless stream of subtely different mods for Quake 1 at the time. My favorite of which was a quaint little mod where you could blow off arms and legs. lose an arm and you can't shoot until you get the health. Lose a leg and your bouncing (yes bouncing) on one leg as blood endlessly squirts from the wound until you get health. Incidentally, this mod work in any other mod side by side, so even the crappy mods could be instantly enchanced with severed limbs.

I believe it was called something clever like, "Severed".

Pure Fucking Genius.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
Sylocat said:
04:35: I don't get it.
It's what a guard often says in Thief right before you clock him round the head, ala what Garret's doing to the guard in the vid.

Also, for the hell of it, bearpits.

http://bearpits.ytmnd.com/

Rybe

Aug 29, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The stealth genre is never about feeling like the victim, wherein you actually hide because you're waiting for the scary men to go away. Its about feeling like a tormentor - an unstoppable sadistic genius penetrating any situation on your wits alone - this is really why the best Stealth series (Metal Gear Solid and Hitman) have assassination as your end goal.
Hmmm have to respectfully disagree with you buddy. You weren't -allowed- to kill people in the Thief games if you played it on expert most of the time. Garrett was supposed to be kind of a dick, not a cold blooded killer. It makes Garrett a much more sympathetic character than someone who sticks knives in people's brains for a few bucks.

But maybe I'm just a freak for not liking to murder everyone when I play video games.

But as to the video, >.< LOVE! EEEE! I'm such a raging Thief fan girl, and none of my friends really know why, ("what, you liked that Thief game, you should love Hit Man, it's stealth!- *gurgling sound of being choked*") now I can just rub this video in their faces! Those games were amazing, even if Thief 3 tried to murder all that I loved...I was still able to forgive it, just because of the hardcore fan service (the non-sexy kind) they stuck at the very end... Sigh. I should play 2 again...

Though I have to say Garrett's tap shoes filled me with rage. Raagggeeee~!

Sayne

Feb 11, 2009
GaeMFreeK said:
Was waiting for this one. Got Thief I recently, so Thief II is better then?

I'll have to check it out.

"THEY DON'T MAKE BEARS LIKE THEY USED TO."
Depends on your perspective. The story and plot twists of Thief I are, to quote Yahtzee, Balls tighteningly fantastic. Escape!is annoying as crap, but Return to the Cathedral is so amazing that it covers up many many small evils. The WOO missions (thief slang for scary missions) were almost eliminated in T2 in favor of more manor robbing... but they got a bit sloppy in the last few missions of T2. It depends on your perspective.

I'm of the opinion that T2 was meant to be better but looking glass was forced to release it too early because they were going under. Thief Gold is the standard for me.

Play them both for what they are. As a whole two of the very best games ever made.

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Was it just me...or was this a GamePro style review? This one was a little flat compared to his others. Granted, I don't know anything about the game- but the review was kind of tame for what we have come to expect.

Oh well...maybe I'm being too critical.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
I suck at stealth games, heck I could barley beet the training mission in Splintercell DA, Im not an action junkey though, Im just not sneaky

Syphonz

Aug 22, 2008
For the first time in a long while I find my self wondering: "What was just said?" Is it just me, or did Yahtzee's speech pick up the tempo a little bit more than normal in this one?

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
But see- many of these elements (extremely non linear levels, sneaking up behind guards, actually being able to defend yourself if you absolutely had to) are what made Goldeneye 007 such a brilliant stealth em up a year previously. Honestly- hearing all this crap about halo being THE revolutionary console FPS that introduced dual wielding just makes me want to break down and cry like a sissy.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
The scarey part of this game isn't hiding from the guards, it's fighting those damn spiders. So small to hit with a sword and they jump over you all the time. Not very dangerous, but they sent shivers up my spine none the less. The ambient sounds in the cathedral were great too. Only like 4-6 guys in there but was scared none the less.

No game, not even FEAR, has been so immersive to me as Thief 1 & 2 were.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
Thief is the most immersive game I've ever played. It gave me my highest experience of total encapsulation within a game. I got so immersed in this game I think I even started staying in the shadows more as I walked around in real life. In addition, my memories of what happened feel very close to being my own memories as opposed to memories of playing a game.

I remember picking a lock on a door of a hallway, and a guard suddenly opening the door and coming through. I spun around behind the opening door and whipped out my blackjack, neatly rapping him the back of head as he walked past. The whole thing took less than a second.

In 1999, you just hadn't experienced anything like that before. And no other game since as achieved the same level of stealth quality. I think the problem with newer stealth games is that they cater too much to the FPS crowd and allow your character to be too strong at direct combat. In the first Thief game, you could fight one guard with a sword and come away with a medium level of damage. If you faced more than one guard, or the guard called for help, you had to leg it. There was no way you could stay and fight. In Thief III, you could fight through the game like it was Dark Messiah if you wanted?.just not the same experience. If there is no real threat from discovery, the thrill of the sneaker is lost.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
Rybe said:
Hmmm have to respectfully disagree with you buddy. You weren't -allowed- to kill people in the Thief games if you played it on expert most of the time. Garrett was supposed to be kind of a dick, not a cold blooded killer. It makes Garrett a much more sympathetic character than someone who sticks knives in people's brains for a few bucks.
Absolutely, expert was the only way to play this game. No killing and no more than a couple of knockouts. That was serious tension.

Rybe said:
Those games were amazing, even if Thief 3 tried to murder all that I loved...I was still able to forgive it, just because of the hardcore fan service (the non-sexy kind) they stuck at the very end... Sigh. I should play 2 again...
While Thief III was almost as much a travesty as Deus Ex:IW due to the crappy console port and miniscule level sizes (do you remember that rooftop level starting at the bell with the mist? Man that level was HUGE!), you do have it give it kudos for one thing. Shalebridge Cradle. That was one of the best examples of level design I have ever seen. And it had a lot of drag factor from the bad engine so I give it extra points.

thetragicclown

May 29, 2008
Slackenerny said:
Absolutely, expert was the only way to play this game. No killing and no more than a couple of knockouts. That was serious tension.
Expert also opened up more areas to explore and loot to grab, or it did on the Bonehoard level in Thief 1 at least. On easier difficulties you only had to find a valuable horn, whereas the harder ones also had you searching for alternately one and two gemstones deeper in the crypts. Extra content as a reward for greater challenge isn't a feature I've seen repeated much, if at all, in games since.

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
Not a word about Shalebridge Cradle? For SHAME.

Even with the old graphics, that level just about made my bladder spontaneously commit suicide. The jerks of the puppets kept aligning with the spazzing of the lights. It was awesome. And horrifying.

...I mean, I actually tossed my mouse off my desk at one point. (Which made me swing at air and spin around in an amusing fashion.) The DETAIL...

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
thetragicclown said:
Also, for the hell of it, bearpits.

http://bearpits.ytmnd.com/
HAHAHA, awesome, thanks for that!

It's a shame that these games aren't as popular as, say, Half-Life. I'll even submit that Garrett is a better character than the beloved Gordon Freeman, since he's, y'know, an actual character, that talks and stuff!

Man, I should play this again soon. Back when I played it I sucked - I could never get through the fourth level where you had to follow the two assassins sent to kill you without being seen.

angrymice

Feb 11, 2009
If Thief III was crap, it was only crap in relation to its antecedents. It actually had some quite intriguing ideas, really badly executed (unlike previous Thief games, which had intriguing ideas executed really well). Allowing you to wander around a sprawling city to get to different missions, as well as providing opportunities for side missions (read: innocent victims' houses) to increase your wealth could have been fantastic given the intriguing universe that had been created up to that point. Unfortunately the city was distressingly tiny and the fact that you had to sneak around it was absolutely obnoxious. What the hell kind of thief are you that the police know exactly who you are?

As has been mentioned previously, Shalebridge Cradle was an absolutely fantastic level. One of the scariest levels I've ever played. Oh hell, THE scariest level I've ever played. Despite all of its shortcomings, one should play the game only for that part. Then you can stay for the museum level which is pretty worth it.

Regarding the video, I have one major quibble and that's the tiny little Cate Archer over in the left hand corner at 04:45. Sure, No One Lives Forever was primarily an action game, but I hardly think its stealth elements should be faulted. You were after all a spy (and a thief, BTW). Approaching your goals with stealth made perfect sense to me in the context of the game. Of course, I love that game so much, it's hard for me to hear any criticism of it. It was stylish, funny, inventive and fun in ways that Monolith hasn't come close to since, and, in fact seem to be almost entirely abandoning at this point (I'm looking at you F.E.A.R.).

Roto13

Apr 23, 2008
Good god, that was easily the worst ZP yet. Usually I don't just sit through the video waiting for it to be over, but this wasn't funny at all.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
Midnight Voyager said:
Not a word about Shalebridge Cradle? For SHAME.
You missed my post on the last page. I mentioned it there as the stunning highlight of an otherwise lacklustre console port.

Hmmmm....just occurred to me that you were probably talking about the ZP review. :)

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
Slackenerny said:
Hmmmm....just occurred to me that you were probably talking about the ZP review. :)
Heh, that I was.

While I'm at it: The servants. From the second game. OH GOD the servants. With their giddy giggles and relieved, whispered "Thank you,"s as you knocked them out. *SHIVER*

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
And I think another thing worth mentioning about Thief are the beautiful cinematics [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uR8pcqV_HY]. A lost art in the current age of scripted story events, the amazing, painting-like cutscenes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AAzkPkiImo&feature=related] still hold me in awe. (warning: major spoilers in that second one)

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
Midnight Voyager said:
While I'm at it: The servants. From the second game. OH GOD the servants. With their giddy giggles and relieved, whispered "Thank you,"s as you knocked them out. *SHIVER*
Oh yes. And do you remember breaking into the vault under the old Hammerite chapel in Thief II? They had those ghosts which were almost impossible to deal with stalking the place like it was a convention centre. It was so immersive...the most tension I've ever felt in a game. Period.

josh797

Nov 20, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
klc0100 said:
no its not, i just checked.

wow yahtzee, that was the best review ive seen in probably close to 3 months. maybe more. nice job. incidentally i loved theif deadly shadows, so poo on you. but i never did play the prequels, im going to go do that. any idea how? i might just have to bit torrent it if theres no other way.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
Never play Thief before. I was always really frustrated playing Splinter Cell because I couldn't just go around and shoot everybody.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I bought Thief and Thief II off amazon a year and a half ago... I just wish they didn't lock up after 2 minutes... Really wish I could get it to run now... :/

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Apr 10, 2020
Country
USA
Oirish_Martin said:
It seems like I'm the only person who actually liked the zombie levels. Bonehoard was probably the creepiest thing I'd ever experienced in a game at that point. Rope arrowing over a flight of trapped steps stealing jewels, frantically trying to manage your holy water, and freaking the fuck out when the first restless dead appeared. Awesomeness.

The sprawling building levels are also great fun, except for Constantine's house. Finding a key placed on ONE FUCKING TILE of a very large carpet was not fair in the slightest.
The zombie parts were the best for me as well. It wasn't that it was trying to be "blast em up" it was that YOU CANT KILL THESE GUYS HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!! It forced you to be even better at stealth than ever before. TO THIS DAY I think that Thief 1 zombies were the scariest zombies of any game. Their groans, OH! their groans... *sob*

thetragicclown said:
"Gorn to the bear pits tomorrer. Wanna come with?"
YEEEES!!!!!

I thought that was the COOLEST thing about that game then. I had never heard NPCs have a full conversation like that before. Not only was it long, but it was funny!

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Assassin Xaero said:
I bought Thief and Thief II off amazon a year and a half ago... I just wish they didn't lock up after 2 minutes... Really wish I could get it to run now... :/
Sounds like you're having an issue with Hyperthreading/Multiprocessing. I had that problem with System Shock 2 and Grim Fandango (I've had Thief 1 and 2 for a while now, installed them, but haven't tried running them yet). This site tells you how to fix that:

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm

Kekon3

Dec 4, 2008
Vlane said:
stiver said:

Yahtzee obviously, many other people, I do and you should.

Agreed, but i think he's just wondering why yahtzee didnt pick one of the new games out there now. but still stiver, you dont know what your saying. you sound like a noob

CaptainPicard

Feb 11, 2009
josh797 said:
BlueInkAlchemist said:
klc0100 said:
no its not, i just checked.

wow yahtzee, that was the best review ive seen in probably close to 3 months. maybe more. nice job. incidentally i loved theif deadly shadows, so poo on you. but i never did play the prequels, im going to go do that. any idea how? i might just have to bit torrent it if theres no other way.
If you had experience with the first two games, your opinion of Thief III would be different. It was an ok game, but, other than graphics, it pales in comparison to the first two games.

It's like if you only ever had McDonald's to eat your whole life and never knew that better restaurants existed.

_Algernon

Feb 12, 2009
The first two games or hard to find these days (but nothing online shopping, or, in a pinch, evil evil torrents cannot fix). The real trouble is getting the games to work on any recent hardware.

It is possible, though - having recently spent a ridiculous amount of time grappling with patches and frustration, I can tell you that this site:

http://www.saleck.net/Games/Thief1-Gold/Thief-HowToGetWorking.php

...is a sure bet. The instructions are simple and straightforward, and by following them I've already managed to get Thief Gold working perfectly (and in high-resolution *widescreen*) on two multi-core XP boxes. It should even allow Vista installs, if that kind of thing rattles your saber.

So, get to it! And if anyone is silly enough to read down this far, please disseminate this information, for the good of mankind!

Stewie Plisken

Jan 3, 2009
That was pleasantly unexpected. Love the series and The Metal Age was undoubtedly its high point. Great review.

_Algernon

Feb 12, 2009
Also, incidentally:

*TTLG hosts graphics tweaks to make Thief 1 look just a wee bit less crap - worth a look:
http://www.thief-thecircle.com/media/patches/
describes the patches, though most were lost weeks ago to a hardware disaster. Fortunately this site:
http://thief.nov.ru/catalog/index.php?parent=i68F876FD
has the same files backed up and readily available.

*The install-guide site [http://www.saleck.net/Games/] has similar guides for installing other Dark Engine games, including Thief 2 and *System Shock 2*, yet another sparkling milestone Yahtzee's brought up as an example before.

*And: "GORN TO THE BEAR PITS TOMORRER" made my fucking day. Thank you, you magnificent bastard.

lizards

Jan 20, 2009
geldonyetich said:
Ah, now that was pretty good, higher quality than usual, with a plethora of unexpected sight-gags that were genuinely lol-worthy. e.g. Mecha-Gandolf!

So: Thief. Yahtzee makes a good point in that it was indeed an interesting game in that it took the tired old FPS genre in an entirely new direction. Maybe more games should stop worrying about minor quibbles like vehicles and sprawling worlds and instead investigate ways to change the central activity to things other than gun people down in fascinating ways. If there's a dividing line between clone and innovation, the central activity is a likely contender.

Granted, Mirrors Edge could be said to have tried to do that, and Yahtzee wasn't impressed.
ya but mirrors edged butchered the concept of the game completly

Kaleid

Feb 12, 2009
Ima Lemming said:
Assassin Xaero said:
Sounds like you're having an issue with Hyperthreading/Multiprocessing. I had that problem with System Shock 2 and Grim Fandango (I've had Thief 1 and 2 for a while now, installed them, but haven't tried running them yet). This site tells you how to fix that:

http://www16.brinkster.com/salvage/thief/darkengine.htm
I think there's an easier way, just edit the shortcut(s) to the game(s)

modify "Target" in your shortcut
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 thief2.exe
to dedicate the first CPU core to the game (or "/affinity 2" for the second, and so on)

Where thief2.exe is the name of the executable file. Works for Thief 1, Thief Gold, Thief 2 and System Shock 2.
See this picture for example with Thief Gold:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/772/thiefgoldaffinitynd0.jpg

Thief: The Dark Project is one of the better games out there. Playing with EAX enabled (with a Creative card) in XP32 with a properly setup monitor with good contrast is still one of the better gaming experiences even today. Very good use of light/dark and sound. I'm very glad that the community still puts out plenty of fan missions.

Thief 2 I think should have had a bit more undead and the like, and casing the joint was a painful mission really.. still very good though.

How does Yathzee like Deus Ex 1? Thats another classic.

_Algernon

Feb 12, 2009
That affinity fix works for some, but there are still serious issues with many new graphics cards (Just about any GeForce with current drivers may be liable to cause crashes), among other problems, (widescreen support, resolutions over 1024x768) - see post(s) above?

Ima Lemming

Jan 16, 2009
Kaleid said:
I think there's an easier way, just edit the shortcut(s) to the game(s)

modify "Target" in your shortcut
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 thief2.exe
to dedicate the first CPU core to the game (or "/affinity 2" for the second, and so on)

Where thief2.exe is the name of the executable file. Works for Thief 1, Thief Gold, Thief 2 and System Shock 2.
See this picture for example with Thief Gold:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/772/thiefgoldaffinitynd0.jpg
Huh, I'll keep that in mind. I actually got Grim Fandango to work just by setting the Compatability to Windows 98, but when I tried that with SS2 the game wouldn't boot at all.

PeterDawson

Feb 10, 2009
The Thief series did have oddly compelling stealth elements, so I guess they did 'do it right.'

Jaythulhu

Jun 19, 2008
Hahahaha, brilliant. I do love the retrospective reviews. I think they may help the current crop of ritalin-popping twitchkiddies to appreciate some good games, and understand why people over 25 consider gaming these days to be a murky torrent of poo, vomit and unidentifiable things that may be carrots.

What's next? Halloween Harry? Monster Bash? Space Quest? Ooh, ooh, I got it... Lesiure Suit Larry.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
Jaythulhu said:
I think they may help the current crop of ritalin-popping twitchkiddies to appreciate some good games, and understand why people over 25 consider gaming these days to be a murky torrent of poo, vomit and unidentifiable things that may be carrots.
These words made me smile.

KapnKerfuffle

May 17, 2008
Some of the most memorable moments of gaming ever in Thief. I may have to buy Thief again to stir up the hype for it so Thief 4 will get it's ass out there.

crimped

Feb 3, 2008
game sucks, review sucks. Man yahtzee, where do you get the idea to review these shitty games?! heres an idea, pick a fucking game site and see what is out and POP-U-LAR!!!!
Ps - you dumbass.

Allan Foe

Dec 20, 2007
Roto13 said:
Good god, that was easily the worst ZP yet. Usually I don't just sit through the video waiting for it to be over, but this wasn't funny at all.
How quaint! Out of curiosity, what turned you off?
It was very funny for me (a person who played all 3 thief games), so I'm obviously biased.

----
----

T3 wasn't a bad game by any standard, although level exploration wasn't as good and there were a couple of features this game could do well without, the sneaking and the great humor were still there!
Even if that game disappointed the fans of the first two, I highly recommend you make this trip just to see The Shalebridge Cradle, if nothing else. No horror game can compare it's experience to The Cradle.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
Syphonz said:
For the first time in a long while I find my self wondering: "What was just said?" Is it just me, or did Yahtzee's speech pick up the tempo a little bit more than normal in this one?
I noticed that too, but I think he just had a new microphone or something. 99% of the time I hear Yahtzee the first time, and rewind a bit to hear the last 1%, but this review was incredibly shit... so I didn't bother.

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
crimped said:
game sucks, review sucks. Man yahtzee, where do you get the idea to review these shitty games?! heres an idea, pick a fucking game site and see what is out and POP-U-LAR!!!!
Ps - you dumbass.
I was about to explode all over you then I searched through your posting history and turns out you say the same damn thing for all his reviews. My conclusion is that you're a tard.

OuroborosChoked said:
Excellent video. One minor quibble: don't blame Looking Glass for the forced stealth sections in games. THEY weren't responsible for that shit. Look no further than Hideo Kojima for that.
Quite right. If anything, Looking Glass failed to receive their just recognition. Maybe they wouldn't have tanked =\

Thief II is my favorite game of all time and will remain so until the end of days. RIP Looking Glass Studios.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Finally thief gets what it deserves which is attention. The only thing that i would add to it is the fact that each level presented itself with character depth that simply by playing it more and more it expands. Also i would say that thief 1 and 2 is one of the few games that actually made me want to find all the secretes in the levels, because you where rewarded for doing it by added depth and backstory. Another thing is that if anyone actually checks it out and likes it the fan community is still more or less alive and the missions they have extend an already great series. I hope that developers finally pay attention to what has succeeded in the past instead of what sells. Also baldurs gate and planescape torment are both excellent games that people should check out.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Slackenerny said:
In the first Thief game, you could fight one guard with a sword and come away with a medium level of damage. If you faced more than one guard, or the guard called for help, you had to leg it. There was no way you could stay and fight.
You clearly never saw my S.O. play. First mission, charged through completely in the open, woke up every guard in the house, stole all the goodies, then proceeded to gut them one by one. Chilling.

Me? I haven't even made it through bonehoard yet.. bloody zombies give me the willies.

Giovanto

Jun 3, 2008
A very unexpected but welcomed review this was. He's always mentioned Thief in other reviews and I was hoping he would eventually do this. Great review, especially with the many 90s references.

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
Kwil said:
Me? I haven't even made it through bonehoard yet.. bloody zombies give me the willies.
I used to be scared shitless when going up against them... until you discover how to effectively "disable" them.

Burricks can be knocked out with a blackjack

Zombies can be damaged by: holy water arrows, flash bombs, fire arrows. These weapons all have splash damage so round up a bunch of zombies and take them all out with minimal resources. You can knock out zombies by bashing them with the sword until they fall. They will get up if you get too close though.

Hammer Haunts can be killed with a one strong backstab

Apparitions can be permanently removed by bashing them with a sword until they disappear.

NJ

Feb 12, 2009
Man, I should've played this game at some point. Looks like I missed out... Thief 2's on Steam, right?

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Thief was brilliant, and I'll shank anyone who says otherwise!

Yahtzee, I salute you and your excellent taste in gaming. I enjoyed this retrospective quite a bit and can't help but wish you'd do more of them.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Never played a thief game but this one looks cool. Do they have any for the consoles?
Only the worst one, Thief III. The first two were PC titles in 1998 and 2000 and were far superior. Thief III was really hampered by the limitations of the Xbox hardware and thus had tiny levels and an engine that didn't really get the shadows right in the same way that the 'Dark Engine' did (which was build specifically for the original games). They also made some other changes for the console market that corrupted the core gameplay features which made the first two so strong.

On the plus side, Thief III has the Shalebridge Cradle level (about 60% of the way through the game) which is one of the finest examples of level design in gaming history. Worth wading throught the rest just for that.

Something else to consider is that Thief I and II are so old now that they will run on any PC still functioning. I didn't even have a graphics card when I played Thief for the first time. So I would recomend getting on a PC, doesn't matter what, and having a go at the originals. :)

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
For those pining wistfully over the lovely 'Cradle' mission from Thief 3, you'll enjoy this if you've never read it before: A comprehensive review of that level, and that level alone, from Thief 3 as well as interviews with the levels creator and thorough commentary on the missions plot and story, all by one of my favorite game journalists out there.

http://gillen.cream.org/thecradle.pdf

Enjoy!

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
if yahtzee keeps this up then he is going to turn me into a raging fanboy for him... which is wrong.

Still, this critiques RULE ALLL!!!!

Mulch

Feb 11, 2009
Thief was such a very good game.

Great voice acting, and actually, all around great sound. Since it was such an integral part to the sneaking, it was well done. I got to where I would physically cringe when walking on tile in game. Noise became the enemy as much as light did, but not quite as much as the zombies did.

Difficulty that mainly changed what you needed to do, rather than just more monster HP and damage. More loot required, and less killing. Expert difficulty == no killing.

Ability to climb up to just about anything you could jump to...rope arrows to climb to lots of other places; so many ways you could explore every level. Only in a very few places did the game become linear.

Wonderfully unique endgame.

So many good ideas all in one game.

Great review of a great game.

Acez84

Feb 12, 2009
ahhh, Thief. Played it till my fingers bled back in the day. I vote for the reincarnation of Looking Glass Studios and forcing them to make Thief 4 with non linear levels and Hammerite-ghosts .. Scary buggers!!!

jemborg

Oct 10, 2008
I enjoyed Thief: Deadly Shadows and I'll definitely go back and check out the earlier games. But I think he's got it wrong this time... Metal Gear Solid was released the same year as The Dark Project- 1998- and MGS was a sequel! To claim that Thief invented the stealth genre is balderdash, even to have done it first in 3d. They would have least have been worked on at the same time. I get the impression he never owned a PS1 from his reviews - and he certainly never played MGS, which was great fun. I suppose it's part of his "I don't like Japanese games" bias so he never even bothered to look.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Apr 11, 2008
crimped said:
Ps - you dumbass.
Unless you've had your head up your ass for the last 2 years or at leat watched the COD4 review, then you'll notice Yahtzee doesn't give a flying fuck about what's popular. He reviews what he wants, sometimes games that he likes no matter how old (probably for a good dose of nostalgia) . He owns ZP and doesn't care if you want his opinion or not.

Kompi

Feb 18, 2008
The Thief series definitely is one of my favourite series of games - I even quite liked the third, in spite of its issues. I understand why it had to do things differently and I think they had a good idea with it, they were just a little too limited, and could've executed some of their ideas a whole lot better. (Let's face it.. on the PC, the pre-rendered cutscenes many times uses a model of Garrett that is of a LOWER QUALITY than the one you actually have in-game!)

Then again, Deadly Shadows had the Cradle, which forgives a whole lot as no game has ever sent so many shivers down my spine as that singular level. It was utterly terrifying, and designed with such genious that it raises the question of why the rest of Thief 3 isn't up to match.

The first two games however were definitely special, and their fanbase can be quite protective of them with good reason. All the miscelaneous notes and books you can find across them to read added alot to the world you were in, and it was an empowering feeling to undertake Ramirez' mansion on Expert in Thief: Dark Project and not only fulfil the normal, hard and expert objectives but also dump an unconcious Ramirez in a house half across the district before vanishing into the night unseen and unheard and softly laughing to yourself imagining what HIS morning will be like.

And then we get to the Haunts, which are the singular most terrifying enemy I've ever met in any game and whose graveyard-like breathing, rattle of heavy chains and talks of flames and joining can still send shivers down my spine. Ironically, the only Haunts I've actually not been scared of was the two ones I came across in Thief 3 (only ever seen two of them there) that had the misfortune of appearing just after the Cradle was over, at which point I had just fought an entire house of sheer terror and wasn't all that fazed by the presence of two skull-faced men and their ill intends towards my physical and mental health.

Edit: removed a boo-boo caused by too early mornings which made me look like my brain had died.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
But you COULD bonce the burricks! It was just more difficult :)

Thief 2 is still installed on my laptop - not a stealth-game yet has taken its place as king (not even its own sequel - Thief 2 got the mix just right)

However, Thief and Thief 2 do get points for being among the only games to actually influence my RL behaviour - when I first started Thief I became acutely aware of the noise I made, and started making conscious efforts to reduce it. To this day, I move practically silently at anything slower than a brisk jog.

BlueMage

Jan 22, 2008
MercurySteam said:
crimped said:
Ps - you dumbass.
Unless you've had your head up your ass for the last 2 years or at leat watched the COD4 review, then you'll notice Yahtzee doesn't give a flying fuck about what's popular. He reviews what he wants, sometimes games that he likes no matter how old (probably for a good dose of nostalgia) . He owns ZP and doesn't care if you want his opinion or not.
More to the point, inability to pick quality does not make the game a poor one - it makes the player a poor one.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Tattaglia said:
Syphonz said:
I noticed that too, but I think he just had a new microphone or something. 99% of the time I hear Yahtzee the first time, and rewind a bit to hear the last 1%, but this review was incredibly shit... so I didn't bother.
That's my problem. I don't think this one even counts as a review.
MercurySteam said:
crimped said:
Ps - you dumbass.
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Rule #1 of internet celebrity: Never listen to your fans.

Slackenerny

Oct 26, 2008
BlueMage said:
However, Thief and Thief 2 do get points for being among the only games to actually influence my RL behaviour - when I first started Thief I became acutely aware of the noise I made, and started making conscious efforts to reduce it. To this day, I move practically silently at anything slower than a brisk jog.
As I mentioned before, the same thing happened to me. That was a SERIOUSLY immersive game. :)

Firia

Sep 17, 2007
I'm glad you decided to do this review, Yatz. :) You've referanced the Thief game(s) several times over the course of your review carreer, and it's nice to finally get your overall view on the series. I have a friend that played some, but I was busy playing those JRPGs. ;) You may scoff.

Ragis

Aug 11, 2008
I love Thief games, they gave me the best gaming entertainment I can remember to this date. Actually, I finished T3 just about a year ago (my pc couldn't handle it when it was released and I kinda forgot about it..) and with all the Assassins, Mirrors and whatnot released in last few months, T3 is still the best game I've played lately, even with its flaws you all mentioned.
I don't get it - Thief series has such huge fanbase, even after all these years, people make mods and games inspired by Thief world, and no developer tries to create similar gaming experience. Eidos doesn't even think about T4, but wouldn't it be a huge success? Yes, there are stealth games (not as many as I would like though), but Splinters and MGSes don't have the medieval/fantasy style and story.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I think he should not review games that he likes.. Seeing as the reviews that he has on bad games are alot more funny :)

L4Y Duke

Nov 24, 2007
TheAesthete said:
Haven't heard of this game before? what? How have you not heard of it? oh wait your probably 12,
I hadn't heard of it.

However, I had played the sequel, Thief II. It was... not to my liking.

Yeah, I just lack the patience for games like this.