Zero Punctuation: Thief: The Dark Project

KeithA45

Jan 19, 2009
I wasn't too much of a fan of this video (except his early mention of murders and the blood note on his wall lol) but I did like how he finally reviewed a game that's he's mentioned in previous reviews (no idea which one specificall). It inspired me to check out the Thief series in the near-future

Kanashe

May 8, 2008
Inriri said:
Kanashe said:
Does Yahtzee ever learn to keep his thought straight, or does he need to learn to shut his fucking yap. In SH5 he claimed that fans need to shut up, now he claims that game companies need to listen to fans, if this doesn' scream that his a fucking hypocrite I don't know what does...
You're either a troll, or way too thickheaded. Developers need to listen to fans to correct stuff, and not listen to the ZOMG-KAWAII-SEPHIROTH-SHOULD-BE-IN-EVERY-FINALFANTASY kind. Y'know, the kind that makes horrible fan fictions with self insertions.
And when they listen to fans they end up in mediocre repetivive bullshit like Nintendo, and LucasArts, thanks but NO thanks. For me it's better when Developers say to fans "fuck you, and eat a bag of dick" and do stuff their own way

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Kanashe said:
And when they listen to fans they end up in mediocre repetivive bullshit like Nintendo, and LucasArts, thanks but NO thanks. For me it's better when Developers say to fans "fuck you, and eat a bag of dick" and do stuff their own way
That would be listening to the latter. Can't fix shit without an outside opinion

FirmlyUninformative

Nov 17, 2008
Hah. Nice Enigma of the Amigara Fault reference.
Also, I'm pretty sure I have this game somewhere. Sadly the first and last time I tried it was when I was young and stupid and probably didn't have much patience for stealth-'em-ups.

PumpItUp

Sep 27, 2008
Another victim claimed by the "Press X" killer. After the sudden deaths of Ms. M. Edge and Mr. T. Human last year and Mrs. T. Raider last month, the "Press X" killer has become feared by many and has been officially become a serial killer, according to the Sherbet Kingdom Police Dept. They are also keeping an eye on a small group of fanatical worshippers of the "Press X" killer, who have a tendency to become violent if anyone mentions the brutal slaying of Sir Halo III.
If you meet the "Press X" killer, it is advised you either hide in the shadows, or equip yourself with a penis-extension gun and PRESS X TO NOT DIE!

stoosh95

Feb 11, 2009
For a ton of info on this game (as well as how to get it to run on VISTA or XP) I found ttlg.com to be most helpful.

A direct link to their thief forums can be found here:
http://www.ttlg.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=65

stoosh95

Feb 11, 2009
FYI ... thief 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games of all time ... the difficulty settings never actually changed the game (eg ... most games increase the damage or increase the HP of enemies) in thief the difference between easy and hard was usually "don't kill anyone" or "find at least X gold" .

Expert usually added "Remain undetected".

Sayne

Feb 11, 2009
Thief The Dark Project and Thief II are, in my opinion, two of the very best games ever made for the PC. It ranks among the Sublime Baldur's Gate series and the Half Life series, and in many ways it is better.

It was so immersive and the story telling and voice acting was absolutely fantastic... and in some levels (the Haunted Cathedral, and Return to the Cathedral) downright horrifying. Anyone who's played this game and hasn't about crapped their pants when they encounter a Haunt is made of sterner stuff than most.

As for getting it to work on modern PCs, it seems to work alright on Vista (at least for me) but the engine simply cannot handle multi-core processors. You have to set the program's affinity to only one core in Task Manager every time you run it, else it'll crash about 2 seconds after you start a level. There is a permanent work-around, but I've always been too lazy to use it.

The game is available for cheap on EBay if you don't own it... and there are lots of mods (like improved textures) available at www.ttlg.com as well as an active Fan-made missions community (some of the missions are very, very good).

It's a very rewarding game, and wholeheartedly recommended.

sozomai

Feb 6, 2009
Excellent. Thief TDP is easily in my top 5, and I run through a level about once a month or so. As far as atmosphere goes, I put Thief right under Half-Life 2.

All stealth games owe the Thief series a great debt, and none IMO have come close to replicating the true atmosphere of stealth-gameplay Thief creates.

oJon said:
I have this game, but unfortuntly it always freezes when i come to the first guard. I blame vista.
Thief has an issue with multi-core processors on newer systems.
Quick fix: Start Thief, ctrl+alt+del to task manager, right click "Thief.exe" under processes, 'Set Affinity', and make sure that only 1 CPU is checked. (Doesn't matter which).

Gormers1

Apr 9, 2008
Every time he says something bad about the first halo game I die a little inside ;(

But anyway, great review/retrospect/whatever that further boosted the interest I already had for this game series Ive never experienced.

Bobble_Hat

Mar 5, 2008
Brilliant stuff. One of the best game series ever, PC or console. It just so happens I had Thief sat on my desk ready to be played after I've played through Deadly Shadows again, and it was a nice surprise seeing it reviewed on here, despite being 11 years old. And although Deadly Shadows is the weakest of the three, it's still better than most other games ever. Bring on Thief 4.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
sozomai said:
It also has issues with the newer Geforce drivers. Theres not much tecnical support for old dark engine games now unfortunately.

Rodger

Jan 27, 2009
Kanashe said:
Nintendo? LucasArts? Listen to fans? The two companies you mentioned specifically couldn't be any further from that. Nintendo ignores pretty much everything they hear from their fans for better or worse, they listen only to the sound of cash registers opening. Same goes for LucasArts. Its all about the money flow, and so long as it continues then LucasArts will pump out StarWars games that should be shunned and Nintendo will continue to completely ignore existing fanbases and focus on wooing over new ones with the same product plus or minus a new gimmick. Taking fan suggestions is perfectly fine, though, so long as they take a grain of salt with it and think for themselves whether or not it'd help or hurt the franchise. Also, you have quite the vocabulary there...

Anyway, as to the actual review, stealth games are fine but any developer that decides he or she should put stealth levels in non-stealth games needs to be fired. Preferably out of a cannon at point blank range into a brick wall. Its perfectly fine in a horror game or an FPS where you're playing as a secret agent. But not in any game thats supposed to focus on action and shooting stuff.

Midnight Voyager

Jan 7, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
sozomai said:
It also has issues with the newer Geforce drivers. Theres not much tecnical support for old dark engine games now unfortunately.
But there is PLENTY of community support. The community helped me with every problem I had

CaptainPicard

Feb 11, 2009
Yahtzee is preaching, and I am among the choir.

I feel the exact same way about PC gaming in general, as well as Thief 1/2/3. It makes me sad that people have no clue how much better Thief 2 was than 3 because they have never played it. Without knowledge of this game, they don't know how much better 3 could have been. Cradle is good, but it doesn't make up for the many problems Thief 3 has.

At least a lot of people recognize the similar dumbing down that occurred with Deus Ex 1 and 2.