Zero Punctuation: Thief: The Dark Project

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Great review: the Thief series is deserving of any attention that can be pointed its way; if you haven't played them, do so. www.ttlg.com is a good resource on where to get them and how to make them run on your system. Also, there are some fan-made levels and texture updates available from there that are well worth the trouble. (note tho: due to the low-poly counts limited by the Dark Engine, they'll still look blocky as all hell.)

I miss Looking Glass Studios. From Ultima: Underworld all the way to System Shock 2, they produced quality games, not simply focusing on graphics, but also having the highest possible production values for sound, story, etc. We need more studios that put an emphasis on this, and we need to reward them by buying thier product.

Oh, and arguably, without Thief, there would BE no Splinter Cell.

OuroborosChoked

Aug 20, 2008
Excellent video. One minor quibble: don't blame Looking Glass for the forced stealth sections in games. THEY weren't responsible for that shit. Look no further than Hideo Kojima for that.

JRCB

Jan 11, 2009
Interesting review. I enjoy hearing about "the good old days" when bugger all is coming out.

MercenaryCanary

Mar 24, 2008
Aw man... and here I was hoping that you would review a bad game... then I saw that Thief was your choice this week, so I knew that you had picked a good game.

Inuprince

Aug 12, 2008
Oh and I forgot there is also rumors of a new Thief game - a new developer team at Eidos has announced that they are working on creating a new episode for an AAA category a.k.a. very good quality game which name starts with a letter T. Since the only other game that would fit this description is Tomb Raider is in the hands of Crystal Dynamics - we can all hope that Garrett will stalk the shadows in the future once again :)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Ryuzaki said:
Sylocat said:
01:53: I wish they'd make a game where characters swear in Chinese (hint, hint).
I see you like Firefly as well. Not sure that you could make a game out of it though.
They were planning to make a Firefly MMO, not sure what happened to that.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
One thing. To the mods/admins. Why don't you ban them (dudes who come and say l0lz0rz b00llzorz I POSTED FIRST l0l0l0l!).

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
ph3onix said:
One thing. To the mods/admins. Why don't you ban them (dudes who come and say l0lz0rz b00llzorz I POSTED FIRST l0l0l0l!).
Because those guys who post stuff like "first" already get banned? Look at the first three comments in this thread.

And you can report guys you don't like anyway and somebody may ban them.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
I really must play a thief game one day. Even though waiting about in shadows seems abit meh.

xxheadremoverxx

Jan 30, 2009
yahtzee why did you put down as splinter cell chaos theory as a game that uses bad stealth? all it consist of you staying in the shawdows, make very little noise, not kiling a guard using a shot to the chest with your assult rifle while other guards are around to kill you faster and using night or thermal vision.

szaleniec1000

Nov 11, 2008
Ryuzaki said:
Sylocat said:
01:53: I wish they'd make a game where characters swear in Chinese (hint, hint).
I see you like Firefly as well. Not sure that you could make a game out of it though.
I reckon it would work as an RPG. Then again, I grew up playing a certain tabletop RPG that you'd be forgiven for thinking was the direct inspiration for Firefly but apparently wasn't.

Burninator 94

Feb 11, 2009
I nearly crapped my pants when Yahtzee said the main character's name was Garrett.
My name is also ironically Garrett. They should make more games with "me" in it.

kilsek

Feb 11, 2009
I only played the demo of Thief, being a knuckle dragging FPS braintard, addicted to the endless stream of subtely different mods for Quake 1 at the time. My favorite of which was a quaint little mod where you could blow off arms and legs. lose an arm and you can't shoot until you get the health. Lose a leg and your bouncing (yes bouncing) on one leg as blood endlessly squirts from the wound until you get health. Incidentally, this mod work in any other mod side by side, so even the crappy mods could be instantly enchanced with severed limbs.

I believe it was called something clever like, "Severed".

Pure Fucking Genius.