Zero Punctuation: Tomb Raider: Underworld

johnbooth

Jun 25, 2008
Who the hell is that guy at 1:48? The face on the imp. I see him all the time in ZP's videos and i just don't know who it is :p

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
jemborg said:
Failhammer said:
coladict said:
Michael Atkinson? I don't know the name, but the picture looks like the guy that plays Det. Barnaby from Midsomer Murders.
Why would anyone hate him? The series is great and he's not like those super-detectives from CSI who (as said in GTA IV) never need to look anything up.
He's the Attorney-General of South Australia (I think), who is apposed to an R-18+ rating for video games in Australia, among other things.
That's the one.
But who's the other bloke that keeps popping up in ZP? "Captain Bland" or whatever his name is?

Trace2010

Aug 10, 2008
Never was much of a fan of the Tomb Raider series...thanks Yahtzee, for informing me I haven't missed much.

Vanit

Jan 27, 2009
Underworld was the first tomb raider game I've given a shot and I loved it to bits since it was a platformer with little combat, complex puzzles and a brilliant musical score. Its a shame that people will probably take this review seriously and not play it.

hoov

Jan 21, 2009
I do kind of have to take issue with the lara is clearly evil thing, the other archaeologists, she competes, with are clearly evil/ working for someone who want's to get the artifact to use for their own evil purposes and they will try to kill lara to get it.
It's just self-defence.

But yeah the, new device in the new game, where you kick over hundreds of pots to look for secrets, was a very ill-concived idea, I don't quite know how it got the go-adead, they'd always tried to keep the idea that Lara was very respectful for the ancient tombs, and tries to leave things as untouched as possible, so that completly contradicits that.

The game does feel very rushed, but that's probably due to Eidos, not Crystal Dynamics, they were probably forced to rush it out for christmas before it was really ready which is so often the case these days.

It was a funny review, but there are elements to it where it really feels yahtzee is straining to find things to criticise about it, so has to latch onto anything he can to make jokes about. Which is understandable, it must be hard coming up with these in a week, but it's still a bit annoying sometimes.

Oh and the idea that's the game is only popular due to lara's breasts, is so lazy, plenty of games use sex to sell themselves far more overtly, yet don't sell as well, there's cleary something else going on for it to have endured as a series as long as it has.

NXMT

Jan 29, 2009
The Crystal Dynamics version of Tomb Raider should really be given a chance. Then again, it would have taken a fan to really appreciate the vast improvements after Eidos ***** slapped all of us with horrible sequels after TR3.

NPJH

Mar 15, 2009
Excellent review. When I was watching it, I kept thinking of a downright ridiculous documentary "Gamer Over," which was about video game violence. Of course, the real subject was how bad all video games are. One of the main games the film discussed was Tomb Raider. The joke was that they some of the exact same things you did about old Laura, but at least you made it funny. I swear the majority of the people featured hated video games (I don't think you hate video games though). It doesn't look like you review many films but this one is worth a look. They have the entire movie online at http://www.mediaed.org/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=205.

yaoinut

Dec 17, 2010
You know, the kick in the pants is that most TR games are awful, but since the first few didn't present her as a bad character I think that made the games better....yea, and fine, she had a rack you could get smothered in probably helped in early days.

Some very good jokes made here. While the Mr Brain-Hat joke is pretty silly, it works with the presented character of dear Miss Croft. Also, I like your idea of spouse for her. If nothing else, it would make one hell of a Jason movie.