Zero Punctuation: Tomodachi Life - Nintendo Life Simulator

shtoops

Sep 1, 2013
I want to hear more about what happened to the fictional characters. Namely Slippery John.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Great now I want to know Yatzee friendcode to get his cockface and lady Hitler Miis.

Heh, I made a thread about this (if anyone bought the game and if it's worth buying) yesterday so now that thread feel even more redundent (0 replies).

Sadly my socks are too valuable to be turn into sock puppets nor do I want to buy new pairs to make one (in another word, I had just order the game).

FFMaster

May 13, 2009
For someone that likes to go on about Nintendo beating a dead horse its interesting to hear the preachyness here about a topic that everyone was already preached out about months ago, got one of your own I feel Mr Yahtzee :p

This was interesting to watch because the points were made based on a incorrect initial premise, that excluding same sex relationships was less work than adding them (wrong as it is to actually exclude the option). Anyone who actually makes games would tell you this as there are more factors to consider so more if statements and testing to deal with, and its odd to have to point this out as the person making the point makes games himself!

Yes the extra code needed is really fucking minor (one if statement should do it), but its still the case that extra is needed. You also have to consider then that even if they did allow gay marriage people would still complain because they can't have kids so can't progress further through the game (cause by my understanding of it , sending out your kids is an important part of progression). So instead of no gay marriage complaints we would get something else, unless more work was don. And even then you have angry middle American mothers complaining that the game is teacher her kids "non christian values".

There are lots of arguments for the inclusion and why they should have done it, but the one here is stupid because "its less work to include than exclude" is just flat out wrong. baring in mind this is horse that was beaten to death months ago anyway

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Well as much as I like the return of the man who's face looks like it has a cock on it, I don't think I'll be able to get that final segment out of my head for days now.

I'm pretty sure most people were outraged at what Nintendo did rather than how much work it would have required to do the right thing, much like with Ubisoft.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
S, H, U, B, N, I, G, G, U, R, A, T, H...

... has someone checked if those kids have gills or something?

I really don't get this genre of gaming at all. Why would I play a "life simulator" when I can just walk outside and live my own life? I always thought games were about escapism; that's why you play games like Tomb Raider, because you'll never get to be an adventure archeologist/grave robber in real life.

The Last Melon

Mar 19, 2012
Leaving aside all the controversy that I'd never heard of, I'm a little confused as to why Yahtzee is review this game. Slow release period? Baiting fanboys? Just a sort of general "fuck you"?

tm96

Feb 1, 2014
I didn't expect this but really should I be surprised since the internet got into furore over the patch that removed same sex relationship and also was a gamebreaking glitch forcing Nintendo to say something stupid. Any publicity is good publicity i guess.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Evonisia said:
I'm pretty sure most people were outraged at what Nintendo did rather than how much work it would have required to do the right thing, much like with Ubisoft.
I think in both cases it was what they said once it'd started becoming a thing. The initial issue wasn't good to make them look great, but then they reached for their keyboards and typed themselves in much deeper.

Toblo1

Jun 1, 2014
I can't help but think that Yahtzee made this video JUST so he could add "NINTY IS HOMOPHOBIC" to his list of why he hates Nintendo......

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
I'll say the same thing I say in every Tomodachi Life thread: THIS?! This is what the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ community got so pissed off about? Of all the fucking problems non-straights face around the world, this is by some distance the most trivial and irrelevant.

Looks shite, sounds shite, looks stupid, would not part with any amount of my money to obtain. What an utter waste of time and energy. Yahtzee asks an excellent question - what exactly is this game meant to achieve? who is it for exactly? - and we've got nothing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Milky1985 said:
For someone that likes to go on about Nintendo beating a dead horse its interesting to hear the preachyness here about a topic that everyone was already preached out about months ago, got one of your own I feel Mr Yahtzee :p
Well, he never said he wasn't a hypocrite.

(Not a shot at Yahtzee, just referencing a very recent joke)

Anyone who actually makes games would tell you this as there are more factors to consider so more if statements and testing to deal with, and its odd to have to point this out as the person making the point makes games himself!
I would actually think your awareness of the latter would undermine the former. I mean, you actually know you're telling a game designer what game designers "all know."

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Okay, anyone else want to hear more about the apartment building with characters from Yahtzee's novels and games? I 'm curious what it's like living next to folks like Trilby and Mister Wonderful.

Also, is it wrong that I found the images at the end credits hilarious?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
I'll say the same thing I say in every Tomodachi Life thread: THIS?! This is what the LGBTOMGWTFBBQ community got so pissed off about? Of all the fucking problems non-straights face around the world, this is by some distance the most trivial and irrelevant.

Looks shite, sounds shite, looks stupid, would not part with any amount of my money to obtain. What an utter waste of time and energy. Yahtzee asks an excellent question - what exactly is this game meant to achieve? who is it for exactly? - and we've got nothing.
I wonder how much energy you actually think was expended. I also wonder where I can get your official list of approved LGBT issues. I mean, this one didn't take up much of my time, but now I'm worried some of my other issues might not make the cut. I mean, it seems like you're setting the value of issues based on what you specifically would or wouldn't do.