Zero Punctuation: Too Human

SanitysEclips3

Oct 1, 2008
Another excellent review. I played the game at a friend's house (who sadly got sucked into the hype) and everything you said was true.

UltraBlumpkin

Aug 1, 2008
I just picked up this game two days ago, so I thought I'd watch Yahtzee's review again. Now it all makes sense, but I do disagree with him about the fun factor of the game. I realize not many people will read this, but I'll post anyways.

I think the problem with the reviews of this game is that the authors don't actually understand all the mechanics of it. I get where they are coming from, because it does take a long time to learn all the aspects of it, and reviewers don't have that much time. For a while there, I didn't know about the rune socketing, or that you could socket special runes with regular runes and then combine those with higher runes to make SUPERRUNES or something. It took me probably 15 hours of gameplay till I realized what all that was good for, since the game didn't bother telling me about it.

The game's combat does seem a bit mundane at first, and it is if all you do is the same melee attacks over and over. However, there are lots of advanced combat mechanics and strategies you need to employ in order to overcome the various groups of enemies without dying. Certain classes have different ways of dispatching with these groups, which makes the game more fun when playing co-op with a friend.

I find it interesting that so many people mock the death sequence. Sure it was increasingly annoying as I advanced through the game. I died 60+ times on my first play through as a Human Berzerker class. It was really hard and aggravating at some times, but it's weird because every time I saw that stupid farking angel come down, it made me much more cautious as I kept playing. I didn't want to die because the penalty of watching that useless iridescent angel come down from the sky one more time was bad enough. It made me play better and on my next play through I only died three times.

Sidenote: The angel is a bit annoying, but is it any worse than watching the 10 or 15 second countdown on Halo or any other FPS? It's merely a video sequence instead of a timer.

I think the game is fun, and on my newest character, I chose the Commando class which just mows down enemies with his rifle. It's pretty fun and makes the combat change quite a bit. You really have to change the way you play because the melee on that class is dreadfully weak, but that's just part the balancing. I did the first two acts with a friend last night on XBLive and it was great fun, so I encourage you to try that. Working together as two different classes makes this game really shine.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Played it again yesterday, an update seemed to make the death sequence a bit faster, on her descent, but it could be my imagination.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
Oh my god, a hammer made out of wank. The line slaved me. I nearly fell off my chair. Catchy.

KS117

Dec 3, 2008
while you say this game is bad and i agree with almost everything you say
I cant help liking it
I'm not saying ill replay it as the last level was poorly designed and very tiring

I thought the environments were cool and it had a pretty cool story

I also love Norse mythology

I didnt like the death system (there was a slight penalty it caused your equipment to decay) and the death scene pissed me off

It was also a little to hard to play without just kamikazie-ing and hurting as much as possible before dying (maybe thats casue i was a berseker though

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
I have found that the only video game that the right analog stick is able to successfully control combat is Monster Hunter.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
This review did inspire me to try out Eternal Darkness. I have to 2nd Yahtzee's comment about why they possibly would NOT want to make a sequel to it, and I've only been through 3 hours of it.

Grandia3000

Oct 19, 2008
Wow i can't agree with you more Yatzhee. Too human is...bad. nothing good about it, nothing to say "Wow you can do this?" No the game is just some exuse for a...well game. A game WHICH TOOK 14 YEARS TO MAKE MIGHT I ADD! Yes 14 long years to make this game its just bad and if a secuel were made i would just play it to see how long it takes the valkery to safe me.

ssjSephiroth

Feb 19, 2009
Lol the Norse God of being a total pussy...How do you make a hammer out of wank?...No, on second thought, I don't want to know.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Great review of Too Human.

I couldn't stand the demo of it when it came out. I keep moving the right analog stick around, and i couldn't figure out why I was attacking.

My favorite part has to be the christanity bit at the beginning. Interesting point...

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
yep, you'll die so often that you may think the player character was TOO HUMAN...
sorry, had to pull that out of my bum.

well yeah, didn't buy it, but then again, I don't like to play buggy, graphically enhanced reasons to hate cutscenes

bushwhacker2k

Jan 27, 2009
The name was misleading, it implied some moral debate when it was just one Norse god with a technologically advanced warhammer beating another and their army of robot goblins >_<

That said, i enjoyed the game a little.