Zero Punctuation: Top 5 of 2011

AnotherAvatar

Sep 18, 2011
I like a lot of what he said except for the bit about Battlefield 3, no matter what that game is amazing for the multiplayer sandbox it offers up. Not sure about his game of the year either, actually I was shocked to hear my game of the year not mentioned at all: Deus Ex. Oh well, whatever, I guess Driver must be something mind-blowing that I missed...

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I'm honestly surprised to see a game such as Driver SA so high on the list. Not that I have played it. Then again I guess it just shows how fair Yahtzee can be, awarding such a high place to a game genre he wouldn't normally play.

Putting Skyrim as number 5 must be his way of staying within the parameters of the pretentious game journalist club and still pleasing the slavering Skyrim fans (me included.)

A refreshing list including some genuine shockers, for that you have my respect. Bravo my man, bravo.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
This is why I can never take Yahtzee seriously as a game critic despite the fact that I love his "reviews" and look forward to them every week.

I mean, BF3 and MW3 are your worse games of the year? Worse than Mindjack, DNF, and the new Red Faction that effectively killed it's franchise? Not to mention the other games you reviewed and hated like Brink and Call of Juarez: The Cartel? Really? I mean I'm not the biggest fan of those games (Black Ops > MW3, KZ3 > BF3) but it just comes across as him making a rather tone-deaf statement than saying they're really that bad. Like a stuffy movie critic naming a big-budget 3D movie as their worse film of the year because it's in 3D.

To me Yahtzee is no different then a comedian riffing on whatever movie he just saw. Sure it's funny and he brings up a few decent points, but are you really suppose to take his opinion seriously? No, you're not, and if you do you're an idiot.
He outright says he put them there because of what they stand for. Which I think is fair enough. and it isn't like a movie critic complaining about 3d, it would be more like if everyone still used VHS and they were complaining about the big budget titles holding us back by releasing the same film every year in a shitty format even though DVD and blu-ray is readily available to do amazing things with.

For the record, I think CoD multiplayer is amazing fun, and although I haven't played battlefield for some time, I still really enjoyed the ones I have played.

P.S. Why should we not take his opinion seriously? It's an opinion, the stuff reviews are made of. No different to any other reviewers.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
I know it's his list and I understand he doesn't think MW3 or BF3 are bad gameplay wise. Still doesn't make it any less of a stupid move. All he's doing is standing on a pedestal, proselytizing and trying to make a big statement (Still not sure exactly what he means by "what they represent"). I was expecting him to really dig into another bad game like he did with Kane & Lynch 2 but instead he sat me down and tried me a lecture and expects me to nod and take him seriously. It was lame and not very funny or entertaining. This is definitely one his weaker videos.
What they represent is samey multiplayer-only churned-out year after year money grabs which completely stagnate the FPS genre by completely dominating it and making every other company try to emulate them. I think that is more than reason enough to make them worst game of the year.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
FaceFaceFace said:
Joccaren said:
Well, why did it deserve to get any higher? It wasn't great by any means, and after 10 minutes I had experienced everything it had to offer. There is no real reason for re-playability, and several semi-game-breaking bugs. The world was large and open, but felt dead, and after the first hour the game stopped being fun. I'd imagine Yahtzee had the same experience as I, and kept pushing on to see if it got more fun, but just found more of the same. The best thing Skyrim did was the grey choice between Stormcloaks and Imperials. In Yahtzee's own words [Though when reviewing a different title] "Everything it's done has been done before - and better". I'm surprised it even made it to five, and I'll agree with Yahtzee it was probably peer pressure. I don't get at all what everyone finds so great about it, except Jim Sterling's ideas on how the game proves the industry wrong.
You're really emphasizing the 10 minutes thing, aren't you? I'm not going to tell you that your opinion is wrong, but when you state that a game most people say is great "wasn't great by any means" as fact, you're expecting an argument. So I'll give you one.

The game has no replayability and you experienced everything in it in 10 minutes? The simple fact that people play the game for hundreds of hours completely destroys your ability to say that. Maybe it had no replayability for you, but it definitely has replayability. And 10 minutes? The game isn't just dungeons, you know. There's a huge amount of interest in just wondering around and stumbling on things, like a lighthouse full of bodies that starts an unexpected quest to find their murderer or a sunken ship or a shrine to a dark god who commands you to go solve their problems. Not to mention all the side quest-lines with their own plots, characters, tones, and several hours of gameplay. Then there are numerous playstyles which, due to the leveling system, become more defined and distinct as you go along. Archery or magic in the first ten minutes is definitely not archery or magic 10 or 20 or 50 hours in. There's a lot to do in Skyrim and there's a lot of variety in doing it.

TLDR: You didn't experience everything in Skyrim in 10 minutes, you experienced 10 minutes of Skyrim in 10 minutes. If you didn't like it it's fine that you quit(not like you need anyone's approval anyway), but people aren't playing it for 100s of hours because it's the same ten minutes over and over. That's just false.
You seem to think I spent only ten minutes in game. I have sunk 200+ hours into it, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

Magic is the exact same at the start and end game, except that you have a different spell that you continually cast until you're out of mana, then drink a mana potion or run round like a retard until your mana fills up.
Archery is very similar at the start and end game too. What do the perks do? Allow you to zoom in? Slow time whilst you're zoomed in, that's the big one. Its still the same motions as it was early on, with nothing much changed.

Exploring would be interesting if they focused more on making each area look different to the other areas. Get me a screenshot and I'll get one of an extremely similar looking area. There are a few uniquish areas, but most of them are the same thing in a slightly different order. Hardly exiting.

The same deal goes for quests. Outside of the questline ones (Dark Brotherhood, Thieves Guild, Companions, College of Winterhold, Main Quest About three Daedric quests (Sanguine, Molag Bal and one other I can't quite remember), they were all the exact same quest, just with a different location.

Now, for your 'You couldn't have experienced it in ten minutes'. My first ten minutes of Skyrim went something like this:
-Finish intro
-Ignore everything, head to that cool looking dungeon over there
-Complete first of many samey dungeons, this one feeling unique because it was the first one.
-Use all main styles of combat, to get a feel for which one I liked best (Single Handed Warrior, Single Handed Assassin, Single Handed shield warrior, Stealth archer, Warrior Archer, Destruction magic [Admittedly the other magics were not available at that time. After that time, I found out for the most part that conjuration is the most boring way to play the game, illusionist and alterationist can be interesting, but turns into a repetitive grind once you get a good style])
-Go to riverwood and get dumped with misc quests and a storyline quest.

Now, did I fight a dragon? No.
Does it matter? No. Dragons are some of the least interesting fights in Skyrim. A bear can kill one. Solo. No joke. I saw it happen. Dragon fights consist of waiting for it to land/stay still so I can stab/shoot it with my sword/bow/magic repeatedly until it dies.

The main problem with dragons, like everything in Skyrim, is that they are far too easy to kill. Short of a Chuck Norris topless hand to hand style battle, there is no challenge to them. Even with that, just chug 1 potion of resist fire and punch away. You'll eventually kill it.
The problem here isn't so much that they are too easy in and of itself - in Morrowind after a short while everything was piss easy and you could accidentally a god. The problem is that the fun things like hovering, scroll of Icarian flight or W/E, custom spell making, ect. were taken out to give the game some challenge and a form of balance, whilst the game itself presents no challenge and I'll be damned if its balanced.

The most redeeming feature of Skyrim is its mods - yet they are not the game itself, and Bethesda actively tried to stop you from using too many with their removal of Large Address Awareness from the PC version.

Skyrim contained a brief breath of fresh air from most titles of the day, but it was hardly remarkable or amazing in its own right. I had much the same experience all my friends had.

First day "Skyrim is so intense I play BF3 when I need to calm down"
End of week: No-one playing Skyrim, all on BF3. Except me, the ever hopeful it-might-get-better that played DN:F almost through to the end because the first 20 minutes were refreshing and I had hoped it would get back to that sort of thing.

Other than the surface of the world being mostly open and without loading screens, what was so amazing about Skyrim that makes it better than any other game this year? One feature doesn't redeem an entire game, especially when the only thing different about that feature is 'mostly no loading screens'.

Now, all that said, I'm off to play Skyrim. Not for the game, but to see just how many NPCs my PC can handle at once. I'll see if I can get a good 300 v 300 battle going somewhere...

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Either my tastes differ from everybody else on the planet, or I was really, REALLY high when I played Dead Island.

The story was almost-non-existent, the characters were as deep as a sheet of paper, but the gameplay at least was fun as Hell. So why all the hate, damn it?

surg3n

May 16, 2011
Joccaren said:
Magic is the exact same at the start and end game, except that you have a different spell that you continually cast until you're out of mana, then drink a mana potion or run round like a retard until your mana fills up.
Archery is very similar at the start and end game too. What do the perks do? Allow you to zoom in? Slow time whilst you're zoomed in, that's the big one. Its still the same motions as it was early on, with nothing much changed.
I'm not sure what you were expecting, maybe flossing teeth with the bow before firing?. The perks can be useful, personally I've concentrated mostly on archery, so now I can take down pretty much anything, I always play these games as a hunter. Anyway, theres a perk to speed up draw speed, drawn movement speed, increases critical, stun etc etc.

Joccaren said:
Exploring would be interesting if they focused more on making each area look different to the other areas. Get me a screenshot and I'll get one of an extremely similar looking area. There are a few uniquish areas, but most of them are the same thing in a slightly different order. Hardly exiting.
That can be said of real life mate, take a castle, or even just a tower, and compare it to another tower, you'll find they look pretty similar. There is only so much they can do, they really have no choice but to re-use furniture and meshes, otherwise we'd have longer loading times, and that usual degredation in media quality as the game progresses. I mean, what game out there is as big as Skyrim, yet has more detail?

I mentioned something in another thread relating to Skyrim, and got shot down, so here is my underbelly...but...

PC gamers tend to ruin games for themselves sometimes. It's too easy to say, ''Sod it, I'm off to spawn this or that, or mess with this, or I'm too impatient to wait on that levelling up.'' Then the cheats set in. Everyone I know with the PC version of Skyrim has made the game pointless for themselves. I don't need anyone saying 'not me!', because I don't know any of you personally, I'm only going by my experience. I am playing it on XBox, I haven't cheated... except maybe looking up a youtube video of a treasure map location. Anyway, I trully think that I play Skyrim very differently than my PC-gaming friends. I can't cheat, so it doesn't bother me, I know that levelling up takes time and effort, and that's the whole point. The minute that you don't necesserily have to spend an hour crafting and enchanting to boost skills, you can just cheat, and a lot of you do, don't you?

Play Skyrim once more, play by the rules, ban yourself from cheating, and I guarantee you'll enjoy the game a lot more. I struggled with some quests early on, had to backtrack out of dungeons a couple of times (mostly due to powerful mages), but now I'm bad ass, I can snipe any human enemy with 1 shot - but I earned that, I spent the time levelling up so that I would be fairly bow-epic. Console gamers don't have the option of cheating or modding, and in the case of Skyrim I'd say that makes it a better game. I've put in over 200 hours too, and for me Skyrim is hands down GOTY.

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I've got no problem with Yahtzee's pick for the worst pair of games, but I'm a bit suprised that he stressed at the start it is purely based on how much fun he had with it. I didn't play MW3, did play BF3, and the singleplayer isn't anything spectacular, but it is at least a functional game. That's more than we can say from games like Mindjack. If he'd put BF3 and MW3 at the top for what their lack of innovation, or their message, or what it means for the game industry to have those be the most heavily marketed and hot selling games of the year, I can get behind that. But is Yahtzee so sick of 'realistic' shooters that he hates just playing a functional game more than a broken piece of buggy shovelware? Well, apparently...

IncredibleKoosh

Apr 20, 2011
totally heterosexual said:
Locutus9956 said:
sigh...

I remember when ZP used to make objective reviews and it's end of the year lists made a concerted effort to genuinely list the best and worst games of the year....
(they never were)
Reviews should be subjective anyway, as it is one persons opinion. Yahtzee is very good at what he does. I think that people do sometimes find it difficult to take someone disliking something they love. Also I think that sometimes people find it difficult to know whether Yahtzee likes something due to to the fact there isn't an 8/10 or a 4/10 at the end of every review.

He also places more emphasis on originality and pure fun than many other critics, as well as story. So if games flounder there they suffer in his eyes. See MW and MW3 reviews for reference.

And he has stated that anything he doesn't mention in his reviews is basically fine. But I find it useful for someone to mention a games faults, even if it is something that has been rated highly, and that I may end up buying and liking. Just becauase a good game has faukts doesn't mean it's not a good game.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
icaritos said:
GonzoGamer said:
Every year there's that one game that I DON'T regret buying. In 2011, that game was portal 2. Good choice.

Xman490 said:
Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.
If you're on the PC, wait for the modders to fix it.

If you have a 360, play it for 10 mins at a time so it doesn't melt.

If you have a ps3, avoid it like the plague.

They say patch 1.4 will "address" it which means that they can't "fix" it.

I'm guessing they didn't send Yhatzee the ps3 copy...
Oh yea, he's a reviewer.
Can't fix what is fundamentally a hardware issue. Unless they send someone in your house to shove more RAM into your PS3 it is quite likely that there won't be any massive improvement.
Is that even possible. If you were to somehow install more memory on your ps3, would the machine even recognize it?
I think I know what I'm going to do the next time I have one of my Frankenstein moments.

Triaed

Not Gone Gonzo
Jan 16, 2009
Happy New Year, Ben
You did not get me a present either, Shithead.

Nice compilation

icaritos

Apr 15, 2009
GonzoGamer said:
icaritos said:
GonzoGamer said:
Every year there's that one game that I DON'T regret buying. In 2011, that game was portal 2. Good choice.

Xman490 said:
Skyrim FREEZES? I thought Bethesda was over "New Vegas" levels of glitchiness! I thought that Skyrim's worst bugs were along the lines of "hovering ground ladies" or spinning horsemen (as seen in a Youtube video).

Has anyone else had serious glitches with Skyrim? I'm starting to doubt whether I should get it if it's going to crash on me.
If you're on the PC, wait for the modders to fix it.

If you have a 360, play it for 10 mins at a time so it doesn't melt.

If you have a ps3, avoid it like the plague.

They say patch 1.4 will "address" it which means that they can't "fix" it.

I'm guessing they didn't send Yhatzee the ps3 copy...
Oh yea, he's a reviewer.
Can't fix what is fundamentally a hardware issue. Unless they send someone in your house to shove more RAM into your PS3 it is quite likely that there won't be any massive improvement.
Is that even possible. If you were to somehow install more memory on your ps3, would the machine even recognize it?
I think I know what I'm going to do the next time I have one of my Frankenstein moments.
I don't think that would be possible unfortunately. The mobo is far too old, the likehood that it would support more RAM is small.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
I can see why Yathzee doesn't like the SP part of Bf3. It wasn't great but I found it to be ok. You actually wasn't really a super hero in it but more of a normal soldier.

Though the MP part of BF3 for me is so much better. So much enjoyment from it.

AkaDad

Jun 4, 2011
I watch Yahtzee every week because he never fails to make me laugh. My biggest laugh this week was putting CoD and Battlefield as the worse games of the year.

Any critic that wasn't going for laughs and put them as their worse games of the year, I'd have to think they were huffing glue in between taking mushrooms and LSD.

Freaky Lou

Nov 1, 2011
Aeonknight said:
Ok, so you want to bring up reviews he made years ago as evidence to contradict my assumption. "I didn't say he always hated them, must be a recent development." There, satisfied?

Refer to my list above for this year alone. I could go looking into prior years for FPS games he disliked, but I already wasted enough time on the post above, I'm not about go digging through every single review he's ever done to find more evidence to support my notion about him. Feel free to consider this a "raising the white flag" on my part.
It's not a recent development because he has nothing against FPS'. There's just a LOT of FPS these days, and a lot of them are the same bland style of military shooter, so you're going to see them criticized a lot because that's what's available for review.

But the reason he hates BF3 and MW3 doesn't actually have to do with that. Like he said, what he hates about MW3/BF3 is the xenophobia, and missions where all you're doing is raining death down on helpless people from an airplane. It's disturbing to him that the biggest, blockbuster, recordbreaking games are ones where all you do is kill foreigners. It isn't a bias against FPS at all.

Markunator

Nov 10, 2011
Naeras said:
If all you care about is the single player, then yes, MW3 and BF3 were shit. Whether or not they're worth "worst game of the year" is, of course, open for debate, but I agree with that it's nice to see someone say that gunwank-rereleases with tacked-on single player modes that get rereleased every year isn't something people should copy.
That description only completely fits Modern Warfare 3, which is just the same game as before but with a new coat of paint. Yes, there was a Battlefield game released in 2010 (Battlefield: Bad Company 2), but Battlefield 3 is still a pretty different game from that one.

Yes, Battlefield 3's singleplayer was indeed tacked-on (not to mention bad and extremely disappointing), but that's not why I love the game. I love it because of the - you guessed it - multiplayer. It truly is amazing. Not perfect, but amazing nonetheless. It really is epic. (I know that is an extremely overused word, but it really is.) If you ask me, Battlefield 3 shouldn't even have had a singleplayer. Battlefield 2 didn't have one, and neither did most of the games in the series.

I don't agree with Yahtzee that developers should stop making realistic military shooters (because that would mean no more Battlefield games). I think that they should keep doing it until they get really great, including the singleplayer.

It's actually kind of stupid that Yahtzee doesn't want a subgenre of games to be made anymore because it doesn't cater to his taste. If he doesn't like them, he doesn't have to play them (except for review purposes, of course). Can't he just let people enjoy them?