Zero Punctuation: Top Five Games of 2016

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
LordTerminal said:
Puts Metroid in Worst instead of Star Fox and puts Color Splash in blandest. More proof that Yahtzee should be blacklisted from Nintendo because he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I played Color Splash and can tell you he clearly stopped at the goddamn first chapter and didn't even bother to play the whole way through or he'd know the writing from the older games is still in.
And that's just one example of what's wrong with his review.

HE CLEARLY WANTS THE COMPANY TO ONLY MAKE WHAT HE WANTS.

Then again he also put Mankind Divided in the bland spot which tells me he should be blacklisted from reviewing in general.

I now officially hate everything on his good list because of this tripe.
Bolded and all caps emphasis mine for the hypocrisy factor.

You know he's allowed to make whatever list he goddamn pleases, right? I actually like No Man's Sky, but you don't see me throwing a fit because Yahtzee doesn't agree with me.

Also, calling for someone to be blacklisted (thus losing their job) because you didn't like their Top 5's list is rather petty, wouldn't you agree? Save that vitriol for outlets that are actually reprehensible, like Kotaku.
LordTerminal said:
By Halo fan base I mean the same people that made that popular. A bunch of dumb loudmouth jocks that only want to play shooters.
Wow, way to over-generalize. I was a Halo fan for well over a decade (until Microsoft and 343 Industries took the series in a direction I didn't like), and I can confidently say my pasty, introverted nerd ass is about as far removed from the "jock" stereotype as you can get. And no, I didn't play it because I "only wanted to play shooters." I played it for the story and setting in the single player campaign and hardly even touched the multiplayer.

Not all fans enjoy the same things about the subject of their fandom. I hope I didn't shatter your world view too hard with that revelation.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
I liked Shitbulb. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't the greatest game. After all, you do play as a light bulb with shit on it. I am just a contrarian who like ambitious failures over bland, mediocre games.

Speaking of which, did anyone noticed that Overrated wasn't on any of the list? I'm sorry. I meant Overwatch wasn't mentioned in the video. I might be too harsh about the game, because I am not a fan of online shooters. They are just too repetitious, and filled with people who are too obsessed with the game to enjoy competing against.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
LordTerminal said:
erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
Just want to play shooters? You do know that one of the contenders for best Metroid game is Super Metroid right? And that it's not a first person shooter? Hell, the shift to FPS with Prime was a change that the fanbase DIDN'T like at first. It was only after it was revealed that the core of what made Metroid a good series was intact, with a whole new level of story added, that it became one of the more beloved entries in the franchise.
So basically you admit the franchise has an unpleasable
group of whiners then? You know what else had Metroid's core elements? A rare gem of an NES game called The Guardian Legend and it did everything the first Metroid did but better. Now why isn't that a long running franchise instead?
Because it was developed by a minor Japanese developer whose most successful game was Puyo Puyo, and aside from that made almost exclusively shoot 'em ups.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Did anyone else notice Yahtzee actually come very close to breaking character and laughing at the "chihuahua/spiral staircase" joke?

rgrekejin

Mar 6, 2011
KissingSunlight said:
I liked Shitbulb. Don't get me wrong. It wasn't the greatest game. After all, you do play as a light bulb with shit on it. I am just a contrarian who like ambitious failures over bland, mediocre games.

Speaking of which, did anyone noticed that Overrated wasn't on any of the list? I'm sorry. I meant Overwatch wasn't mentioned in the video. I might be too harsh about the game, because I am not a fan of online shooters. They are just too repetitious, and filled with people who are too obsessed with the game to enjoy competing against.
Indeed, that was one of the first things I noticed, so much so that I went out and checked to make sure that I was remembering correctly and that Overwatch actually did come out this year, and not on December 29th 2015 or some damn thing. But no, solidly in mid-2016. I thought for sure Yahtzee would find a spot on some list or another for a game whose primary appeal is based on marketing hype rather than any actual substance, but then again, I'm also just a contrarian who enjoys the affirmation I get when other people see what I regard to be fairly obvious glaring flaws in inexplicably popular things, so I'm probably a biased source.

Noyemi-K

Jan 6, 2016
LordTerminal, please calm down before you post, maybe it'll help you come somewhere close to actually making sense.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
erttheking said:
LordTerminal said:
Just want to play shooters? You do know that one of the contenders for best Metroid game is Super Metroid right? And that it's not a first person shooter? Hell, the shift to FPS with Prime was a change that the fanbase DIDN'T like at first. It was only after it was revealed that the core of what made Metroid a good series was intact, with a whole new level of story added, that it became one of the more beloved entries in the franchise.
So basically you admit the franchise has an unpleasable
group of whiners then? You know what else had Metroid's core elements? A rare gem of an NES game called The Guardian Legend and it did everything the first Metroid did but better. Now why isn't that a long running franchise instead?

I've played Super Metroid and I honestly think most of its fame is based off of nostalgia anyways. Because I felt nothing for it.
Uh, I said that the game was considered to be one of the best of the franchise. So no. The fanbase was very much pleased. Fuck, it isn't hard to please Metroid fans, people adored AM2R and it was just an old school Metroid side scroller put together by fans. That's cool, but did The Guardian Legend innovate and improve on its mechanics like Metroid did?

Well good for you, your opinion isn't universal. I've talked to plenty of people who didn't play it when they young and thought that it had aged very well.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Most people have already forgotten about Mankind Divided.

Onliuge

Aug 9, 2012
Nice list Yahtzee, can't wait for the, "Phew, coast is clear" gang of games to slide out of the AAA asshole.

darkrage6

May 11, 2016
Igor-Rowan said:
I just discovered a few months ago that Devil's Third was a semi-Duke Nukem Forever, with a bit of Too Human sprinkled in. You got a team of former Tecmo people (Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden) that was initially a XB360 exclusive, then it was on all non-Nintendo platforms of last gen, then Satoru Iwata gave it the green light, mainly because there was nothing else online coming to the Wii U.

Then Nintendo of America desperately tried to keep that game from coming here, because they remembered Disaster: Day of Crisis, by getting rid of all of the announcements. But then they had to damage control the backlash of that when people got wind of that (whoa boy E3 2015 was quite the day). And the developer still went on to blame Nintendo for letting the reviews out before the sales (you know, like most companies are supposed to do).

I'm only saying this because this was the last time people will ever talk about that game.

Also, MP: Federation Force is worse than this? One of the few times I call bulsh*t on Yahtzee.
Devil's Third at least didn't piss all over a once great franchise. Speaking of which i'm really surprised Star Fox Zero was nowhere to be found on this list.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
darkrage6 said:
Speaking of which i'm really surprised Star Fox Zero was nowhere to be found on this list.
Eh, the only thing Zero did that was really that bad was have a rather polarizing control scheme and the very boring Gyrowing. Besides that, the game was alright. Its average 7/10 score is what it deserves for the most part. It probably fell off Yahtzee's radar, or the games that were on the list were simply worse

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Homefront actually managed to patch itself out of shitville, its actually enjoyable now even if it doesnt break any new ground.

And I quite liked Quantum Break. Its very much like Alan Wake in that the characters and setup are interesting enough to make you play through the game, plus it has great production values in a more artistic mindset, so not exactly how cool the setpiece is but how gorgeus it looks.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
LordTerminal said:
erttheking said:
Uh, I said that the game was considered to be one of the best of the franchise. So no. The fanbase was very much pleased. Fuck, it isn't hard to please Metroid fans, people adored AM2R and it was just an old school Metroid side scroller put together by fans.
A pointless old school side scroller made only out of spite as well as a remake of a game that didn't need to be remade. Why couldn't these guys make an original IP instead of just some vanity project for Metroid fans?
I noticed you switched tactics the second it was made clear that the fans liked it, just insulting it and the creators because you had nothing else to fall back on (and yet for some reason people were still supposed to like FF) They made AM2R because they wanted to, that's all the motivation someone needs to do anything. They were fans of Metroid and wanted to remake 2, and as someone who played AM2R, they did a damn good job.

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Doom? Is this 1993? Also, 2016 was awesome year and Yahtzee clearly didn't play the right games. Especially if Doom is #1 on his list.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Well, the main question on the 2017 body count is who do we have left?
Morgan Freeman, Ian McKellen, Michael Gambon, Sean Connery, Martin Sheen, Michael Caine and Donald Sutherland?

So in order of character that are well known from them.
God, Gandalf, Dumbledore, King Arthur, The President of the USA, Charlie Croker and Oddball.

Yeah, we're starting to run thin on famous old actors that are still alive.