Zero Punctuation: Transformers: War for Cybertron

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
wow, I thought we already got our War for Cybertron review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1908-DeathSpank-Limbo]: "...if you want to play something bland and unchallenging [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1951-Transformers-War-for-Cybertron], why not try eating a dick!"

Interesting to get the perspective of a non-TF fan on the game. I'm a TF collector myself, and TBH the game, while bearable in all its 3rd person shooter glory, has some of the shittiest vehicle controls ever; like Yahtzee said, since the whole point of the Transformers franchise is the ability to transform, well yeah, was a bit of a fail there.

Also how come some of the TF's don't seem to have their respective abilities, or had them severely altered? Starscream's famed Null-ray cannon, an all-purpose phlebotinum-powered blaster with stun-locking abilities, becomes a sniper rifle anyone can wield. Sideswipe doesn't have his trademark shoulder cannon or jetpack, choosing instead to spin around like a mad robotic top of death. Worst of all, Soundwave only deploys the cassettes when he's a boss; as a playable character his powers are a shield and a static drone. WTF? They should've made the cassettes his powers: deploy Lazerbeak or Ratbat for mobile recon drones, and Rumble/Frenzy as attack drones.

Seriously, how can you fuck this kind of shit up, Activision?!? To think the developers actually called themselves TF fans.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
crotalidian said:
Interesting escapist mix on this Game Funk loved it (fanboy) Yahtzee hated it (predictably) and Rebecca Mayes even decide to chew it out as a bland 3rd person shooter...Wonder How MovieBob feels about it

Also ever notice how the Escapist team rarely comment on ZP vids especially when they contradict the Escapists opinion
I'd also love to hear what MovieBob thought of it, seeing as he detests all of the recent transformers films.

And that would be because Yahtzee makes them a lot of money, so they put up with his opinions whether they like them or not.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
YOU CAN'T PASS! When did Gandalf start to look like a box? I am gonna get this, even though I enjoyed the review. I will be giving FFXIII for half price. Suck on this, Square.

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
here is what i think of trancformers, stop makeing new trancformers stuff, or better yet just stop messing with my childhood. both trancformers and sonic need to stop.

burninfidels

Jul 16, 2009
Heh, Transformers is one of those things I am glad I grew out of. I mean, I still have some nostalgia but boy, it was so retarded. I mean, many childhoods amusements remain more or less viable when you grow up. Not this one.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
voorhees123 said:
Actually on a side note, since i only had the original toys. Optimus Prime and Megatron, i am not sure if its bad memory or me remember the original toys being made of metal as being superior to the lame plastic versions in later years. Also i remember them being complicated to transform from robot to truck where as the newer versions were more simple. Is this true or just my bad memory?
The Toys varied in material some had metal others just plastic the rest had both.Also the whole G1 series of toys was remodeled from exsisting Japanesse toys from Takara before being rebranded as Transformers by Hasboro (Which means alot less spent on concept design and product testing) Which the second Generation didn't get any shortcuts on and needed full development to produce.

kaosboy13

Jul 3, 2008
I think I have to agree with you here, yahtzee, as this may be the best Transformers game ever made, and that's kinda like saying "the most polished turd". They have never been great. I was hoping more for a Twisted Metal style free-roaming war zone, but instead I get Gears of War in highly indistinguishable outfits in an environment that has the character of said turd. I played it a couple of times and then wondered why I spent 60 bucks on something so forgettable. Throw away the toy line names and it's a mediocre shooter no one would care about. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I never liked FPS games unless they had a sense of humor. Bring on Timesplitters 4 or Duke Nukem Forever and I'll get interested in toting a gun again.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
BlueHighwind said:
Michael Bay should make a movie based on those weird Eastern European Commie cartoons. It will be an awful, awful movie, but people love it when Michael Bay makes shit. So enjoy.
Are you kidding? I'd love to see Micheal Bay's version of Mister Twister or Nu Pagodi.

And, oh man... I can just imagine an adaptation of Kin Dza Dza.

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
My avatar and I feel very out of place now XD

Personally, I enjoyed the game but I'm a fanboy. Ah well, hilarious as always.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Thank God someone finally said it. I got this game from Gamefly when it was still bright shiny and new and I'd read a half dozen glowing reviews so I was so excited to play it.

Then I played it.

On a good day this is nothing but an average game wrapped in fanservice and nostalgia.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
That first part about how how toys and videogames are money milking machines was brutal... And completely right. I'm sure it was a pretty nice surprise for the accountants in those fields when once the kid demographic grew up they'd still be loyal consumers... even without children of their own. D:

Nice one, Yahtzee.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Well it was, but nonetheless this was a fairly well-made criticism, unlike some other reviews I could name.

acidk44

Oct 25, 2009
this sucks I can't see it. it wont load. Man i missing the fun you guys (and girls if any) are talking about...
I feel like tossing the computer out the cunting window if only to see it suffer... ad then get arrested for attempted murder to the occasional passer by. :[

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
I never got Transformers. Maybe this is why I always gave the cartoons funny looks as a child and just stared blankly at the screen while I tried to figure out what was going on. I still don't get it now.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
From a person who liked the game, this review was fantastic. Good points and really funny.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
romxxii said:
Also how come some of the TF's don't seem to have their respective abilities, or had them severely altered? Starscream's famed Null-ray cannon, an all-purpose phlebotinum-powered blaster with stun-locking abilities, becomes a sniper rifle anyone can wield. Sideswipe doesn't have his trademark shoulder cannon or jetpack, choosing instead to spin around like a mad robotic top of death. Worst of all, Soundwave only deploys the cassettes when he's a boss; as a playable character his powers are a shield and a static drone. WTF? They should've made the cassettes his powers: deploy Lazerbeak or Ratbat for mobile recon drones, and Rumble/Frenzy as attack drones.

Seriously, how can you fuck this kind of shit up, Activision?!? To think the developers actually called themselves TF fans.
My guess would be when (If it wasn't an idea from the very start.)they planned out the multiplayer of the game ever character model can't have it's own uniqe special ability or sets of them be animated to do specialized moves like ejecting cassettes from there chest without looking like a Soundwave/Blaster rip-off or endup with parts that don't do anything like Sideswipes shoulder rocket that wouldn't have a purpose in the alternate mode. Here's hoping the sequal (If one is made) adds a little more flare and indivuality to them all for at least the storymode/Co-op multiplayer.