Zero Punctuation: Transformers: War for Cybertron

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Transformers: War for Cybertron

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Transformers: War for Cybertron.

Watch Video

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I took one look at the title and thought, "Oh, this is going to be gruesome."

I was right.

dls182

Viva La Squir
Jun 15, 2009
Have to disagree about the transforming, I found it to be quite smooth actually... Also, I had a feeling a holiday was in the works soon. You work to hard Yahtzee.

Nov 11, 2008
Ricky Cabrera said:
this is just to make the "FIRST!!" people cry
Clever.

ZP:

Clever, But mean. Half of us grew up on transformers no reason to diss the entire series just for one game.

MissPixxie

Mar 15, 2010
Ricky Cabrera said:
Well done, an incredibly USEFUL post.

OT: Couldn't agree more on the dark void points, you did exactly the same as I did.

Nice review yet again, have a good holiday!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
You know, as a Transformer fan, even I though this was hilarious. Good job this week.

Oh, btw, Primes death WAS this generations Othello, I'm now off to cry into my duvet covers.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Interesting escapist mix on this Game Funk loved it (fanboy) Yahtzee hated it (predictably) and Rebecca Mayes even decide to chew it out as a bland 3rd person shooter...Wonder How MovieBob feels about it

Also ever notice how the Escapist team rarely comment on ZP vids especially when they contradict the Escapists opinion

KimberlyGoreHound

Mar 17, 2010
Never heard of this game, but the review was rather entertaining. Good stuff once again.

PS: I'm pretty sure my microwave could kick my stereo's ass. My microwave's a beast.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
My only experience with transformers as a child was one toy that could transform between a robot and a dinosaur. Go figure that one out.

Also the process of making it transform was incredibly obnoxious and took at least 5 minutes which sucks when you're trying to play robot dinosaur vs spiderman.

oreopizza47

May 2, 2010
As always, super funny, and I kinda agree on the "not really caring about Transformers" stance. It's not always that interesting, although I was happy with Beast Wars and whichever one came before that. The movies ruined it for me, and I haven't gotten an opportunity to play the games. But it all boils down to personal opinion as usual. Top notch work, Yahtzee.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Hey the only transformer cartoon i saw was Armada and that cartoon was pretty good.

Starscream and sideways was my favorite.

The Paradigm

Oct 12, 2009
Actually very funny, good points. Saw a friend play it and I seriously could not tell enemies from background.

allyhewitt

Jun 15, 2009
lol, i totally agree, i personally cba about transformers and the environments i've seen from trailers are very meh also...

ForensicYOYO

Jun 12, 2010
I really didn't expect the stupid excuse for a mech game to do good. So Im glad you said it. The only question I have is If this game was based before they came to Earth why do the still transform into cars? Food for thought. Good job Yatzee.

GameGoddess101

Jun 11, 2009
I never really cared for Transformers all that much. I mean, the 1980's animated movie was fun in that really stupid over-the-top sort of way, and holy power ballads Batman, but other than that I couldn't really give a flying fuck.

I played this one when I was baby sitting for a little smacktard and I wasn't impressed. The transforming was fluid, but it was pointless, and it was uglier than sin. So great job, Yahtzee, not like you read these but oh well. Oh, and it's nice to see a reviewer not prostrating himself before this game like it's the goddamn second coming.

Have fun on holiday.

Nueemann

Jul 14, 2010
Well, he'll be back in time to give Halo Reach a sound maiming, so I'll look forward to that. (I'll be buying the game, but I always enjoy his criticism.)

Reverend Del

Feb 17, 2010
wooty said:
You know, as a Transformer fan, even I though this was hilarious. Good job this week.

Oh, btw, Primes death WAS this generations Othello, I'm now off to cry into my duvet covers.
Really? No. It wasn't. we've had so much better stuff released than the animated Transformers movie, so much. Don't get me wrong, I like the movie, but it just ain't that good.

OT: I'd so love to disagree with you about Transformers being simply a cash gouging ploy by Hasbro, but I can't. All my favourite 80's cartoons were. It makes me sad. Haven't enjoyed any of the recent Transformers games, so I wasn't honestly going to give it a try and given two out of three reviews (or sort-of-reviews) have said meh, I think I'll avoid buying and rent it for a short time.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
I never got why they transform either, i mean what would you rather be a truck, or a robot coverd in weapons?

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

Clever, But mean. Half of us grew up on transformers no reason to diss the entire series just for one game.
There's every reason. Nostalgia only exists as long as you keep the rose colored glasses on your face. Just because we grew up on something doesn't make it sacred.

That said, I loved Transformers as a kid. I still think it was better then than it is now, for various reasons, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get all butthurt when someone points out some of the flaws in it, i.e. making kids milk their parents for cash.

OT: Another cover-based third-person shooter with a gimmick that doesn't work as well as it could have because developers are lazy? Say it isn't so, Yahtzee. Enjoy your holiday.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Well i still demand reparations in Blood!

And yes this is about what i had expected to hear. Man i've watched too many of these >.< Its a Transformer Fanboy's game. Everyone else, a pretty generic TPS. I enjoyed it. It was only $40 on release...in retrospect, i think i over paid for the game.

Poisoned Al

Feb 16, 2008
I never got into Transfomers ether. Maybe I was a bitter little shite when I was a kid, but even I spotted the cartoons as just big ads for overpriced plastic crap. I wanted something funny to watch.

Danger Mouse FTW!

Billkwando

Oct 8, 2008
I loved transformers as a kid, but even then I realized that it actually sucked. It just sucked less than Go-Bots.

Then, in my 20's I saw Robotech, and figured out just how bad Transformers really sucked. Horrible one dimensional characters and bad one-liners. Good enough to sell a toy line, I guess.

P.S. Thundercats sucked too, but I knew it then, and there was no denial involved.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
he explained that the whole reason behind the show was to sell us gimmicky toys... **looks at shelf of transformers collectibles** and admittedly I have to agree, but hey they kicked the crap out of GI Joe and Barbie (no offense people I'm just stating what sells WHICH IT DID!)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Yeah, Transformers was only good through the tinted glasses (because all glasses from the 80s were tinted pink by law) of nostalgia or the tinted glasses of lower intelligence were giant robots that punched other giant robots (that also could be a car) which all seams to only be resolved when they decide to fight on the one planet in the entire universe that is populated by fleshy pink things instead of robots. Oh well.

Have a nice holiday.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
WOPR said:
he explained that the whole reason behind the show was to sell us gimmicky toys... **looks at shelf of transformers collectibles** and admittedly I have to agree, but hey they kicked the crap out of GI Joe and Barbie (no offense people I'm just stating what sells WHICH IT DID!)
You know you just proved his "colored your milk machines and argued which was best" point right?

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
"What? Identify with Indiana Jones? Don't think so, he's over thirty! Here's Shia LeBettFuck. HE IS YOU."
That is my Quote of the Week.
xD

tredecim

Aug 25, 2010
I was completely aware they existed only to sell toys. I didn't care - the toys were awesome.

I'm actually disappointed that T:WFC isn't any good. It seemed like it had potential.

Why can't any decent developer actually make a game which takes advantage of the fact things transform into other things! The last game to do that was M.A.S.K. on the ZX Spectrum!

SoulChaserJ

Sep 21, 2009
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

How about the last of several horrible transformers games? Go back and watch the original series. It's crap. I loved it as a child but as an adult I realize I was a brain damaged child.

Spykr

Jul 8, 2010
Please continue to make the fanboys cry. This episode of Zero Punctuation was exactly what I needed to brighten up my day. Thank you.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Never really got into transformers, I played with my friends transformers a bit at his house, but never extensively. The movies were trite and this didn't look much better. I think you have to be a transformers fan to enjoy this game to be honest.

Enjoy your holiday nub.

Hatchet90

Nov 15, 2009
What 14 days!? How can I live without Zero Punctuation for 2 weeks!? Curses, now I'll just have to find the cure for cancer, looks as though I have alot of time on my hands.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Don't just blame not having Transformers as a kid. I am sure being Emglish has a lot to do with you hating fun. And don't say "British" as you were born, grew up, and died inside in England, not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Overall a mildly funny game with extra points from most fans because of nostaligia.

Feb 13, 2008
Poor deprived Yahtzee. Had he had some Transformers toys he might have been an artist instead of a critic.

What? Buying them when 18 is purely acceptable.

Giest4life

The Saucepan Man
Feb 13, 2010
I can't love you, "Yahtzee," for this review enough. Except for the fact that that there won't be another review next week. I've always felt that Transformers sucked, and now I've "Yahtze's" verdict to prove it.

Enjoy your holiday, oppressing some exploited minority on a remote island.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
ForensicYOYO said:
I really didn't expect the stupid excuse for a mech game to do good. So Im glad you said it. The only question I have is If this game was based before the came to Earth why do the still transform into cars? Food for thought. Good job Yatzee.
It's a hell of alot faster than running every where?

Transformer was origionally based off of several series of transformable toy lines by Takara in Japan
(Notice how the toys don't have markings for being Either Autobots or Decepticons.)​

Someone thought those random toy cars, planes,trucks & other assorted items that all turned into robots(Like getting 2 toys in 1) could make a good story to show to kids to sell the toys which already exsist and wouldn't need to be developed from scratch only redecoed and a little retooling.

For an answer in the Transformers universe itself:​

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Ricky Cabrera said:
Then you're just as bad as the people who shout "FIRST!" your intention was to get the first post, same as them. The only difference is that you did it to spite them. So you're really not acting any better then them.

OT: I still wanna get this game, not because I like Transformers, but because I like 3rd person shooters. When done right, they're quite literally my favorite genre.

rossable

Jul 7, 2010
+1 internetz. this franchise died in '86 with the movie.

In the next season (3), we were going to have all these new characters, and people are going to be wondering what happened to the old characters that they liked so much. What we knew, in a business sense, is that they had been discontinued, because they were the 1984/1985 (toy)line ? but, we needed to tie them off. So, we had this one scene where the Autobots basically had to run through a gauntlet of Decepticons. Which basically wiped out the entire '84 product line in one massive "charge of the light brigade". So, whoever wasn't discontinued, stumbled to the end. That scene didn?t make it into the finished movie. But if you think kids were locking themselves in the bedroom over Optimus Prime, basically in that scene they would've seen their entire toy collection wiped out. - The Transformers: The Movie [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers:_The_Movie#Character_deaths]

MowDownJoe

Apr 8, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Yeah, Transformers was only good through the tinted glasses (because all glasses from the 80s were tinted pink by law) of nostalgia or the tinted glasses of lower intelligence were giant robots that punched other giant robots (that also could be a car) which all seams to only be resolved when they decide to fight on the one planet in the entire universe that is populated by fleshy pink things instead of robots. Oh well.

Have a nice holiday.
The original Transformers is only good when viewed through Nostalgia-goggles.

Beast Wars, however, was something else.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
tredecim said:
Why can't any decent developer actually make a game which takes advantage of the fact things transform into other things! The last game to do that was M.A.S.K. on the ZX Spectrum!
The only one I can remember that was decent (for the early 80s) was Aeroboto [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG6w2x6AilI], AKA Formation Z.

xAFROMANx

Dec 5, 2009
If he does get as much hate mail as he's predicting maybe he can have another mailbag showdown (which was epic), but as for the game and transformers in general...ITS ALL SHIT. the only thing i ever liked about the entire series was the original opening and it wasn't worth it.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
SnootyEnglishman said:
I'm really starting to love the analogies and especially in this one anytime Shia LeBitch came up.
I find it funny that people hate him so much i've put up with him since even stevens on disney channel and I managed to laugh once or twice for that shows run.

I think people hate him for exactly that reason. He is as kevin from ed edd and eddy say a dork. A big one. and nobody likes dorks. Not even other dorks. But everyone thinks dorks are relatable and fun hence why every book I read in high school and middle school had them and is one of the reasons I don't read much.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
I have really been enjoying some of the more recent videos, and I really liked this one. Maybe it's because I never was invested into Transformers, either, but I got a lot of where you were coming from in this review.

Anyway, enjoy your holiday.

JakobBloch

Apr 7, 2008
I liked transformers though I do agree it was probably mostly nostaligia. But hey. I don't care. I had fun.

SpikeFT

Nov 18, 2009
Happy Holiday boss see you when you come back. Also your reviews make a point and make us laugh everytime. You`re the reason i played Bioshock, HAWX, Painkiller and many others(though some werent a recommendation and such i feel a sickle in my throat), but i had to experience those for my own good and i got mixed feelings. Cheers mate

Nirth

Feb 12, 2009
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

Entire series still a stinky pile of crap ^_^

Drone89

Nov 22, 2009
I lol'ed at some parts of this. I'd say that's a good review of the campaign.

idk, I enjoyed the campaign even though I knew it was the same thing in both stories, but the selling point for me was the multi-player which turned out to be much better than I was predicting. I'm already aware that the Yahtzee cares not for the multi-player, but I feel like multiplayer is what this game is for.... I mean u have 3 person Co-op (random ass number if u ask me), Escalation (Robot adaptation of Nazi Zombies), and all that other "do this with your friends" stuff. If you don't have live or hate people then this isn't your game.... unless ur that much of a raving fan boy. I recently lost my Live account and I've always hated people so this game lasted about a week for me.

However...... imo..... multi-player is far less frustrating than COD... and I'd really like to try Escalation but low I hate people =/

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
MowDownJoe said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:

Have a nice holiday.
The original Transformers is only good when viewed through Nostalgia-goggles.

Beast Wars, however, was something else.
It might be, but the fact that it was shot in CGI from the 90's only a couple of years after Toy Story (and without something that is even close to that budget) makes the animation look even more outdated then the original show's makes it hard to watch.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Meh I was poor so I never had any transformers toys as a kid.

So yeah I don't really care about it. But the movies were just craptastical crap. Seriously the GI JOE movie was WAY better than either transformers and that is saying a lot.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I liked transformers as a kid. Mainly because it had robots that turned into cars and planes and they had with other car changing robots. It made me laugh when they were making the first film and the internet was full of "Michael Bay raped my childhood" comments with adult fans going on about the depth the cartoons had. I watched the cartoon movie and it was crap, so funny. Why can't these adult fans just admit that love it because of the robots fighting other robots and transforming into cars.

Airsoftslayer93

Minecraft King
Mar 17, 2010
Nice review, i have to say, for the very short time i played this game, i encountered many of the same things, apart from using a slightly bigger gun, transforming basically is useless unless your flying

Metalteeth9

Apr 16, 2009
This review came at a bit of a surprise to me actually. Now, I haven't actually played WfC yet, but I plan to (or at least, planned to). I had heard lots of good things about the game. And I know Yahtzee usual destroys games, but this one felt even more destroyed than usual. Now, I am nervous about wasting time on my Gamefly subscription to get the game...

EDIT: Should probably make this clear: My total knowledge of Transformers can be summed up in one sentence.
"Good robots lead by Optimus Prime fight bad robots, lots of explosions." That is all I know, never followed the series. But the game looked good to me. Maybe all the reviews are tinged with Transformers love? Similar to how GTA4 was universally acclaimed, more from it's legacy, not the actual game.
/controversial opinion!

Hollywooda

Nov 15, 2007
I dont mind when you dont like something as long as its funny!!, thats your thing, but that review was Whine, whine, whine.... just boring, like listening to a old person who doesnt underatand why the kids like robots that transform!?. Yer, we get it, its been a slow month, just fcuk off on holiday till some descent games come out & stop putting this dog sh1t out.

Mangue Surfer

May 29, 2010
I also don't like transformers. But I like old school shooters. Yes I know, same addiction other drug. The fact is, Transformers is the less worst kind off old school shooter of recent times. I mean, There's no proper cover system and I can jump and shoot accurately. Can I jump and shoot accurately in GoW?! Unfortunately not.

Knightvision

Jan 7, 2010
this game really did ooze mediocrity. run of the mill shooter with a storyline that only fans of the series could be bothered caring about.

Good review. Although many may think Yahtzee was being harsh id say the game got off easy for his standards. Iv heard better games get verbally raped by him.

ward0630

Nov 25, 2009
Another holiday? Oh well, I can't pretend Yahtzee doesnt deserve it. Great video, loved all the tumble drier and cardboard box fights.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Lucane said:
"We used stealth by turning into loud vechiles that no robot had ever seen that could only really ram into other robot's."

Somehow that made even less logical sense then I thought it would. :p

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
tredecim said:
I was completely aware they existed only to sell toys. I didn't care - the toys were awesome.

I'm actually disappointed that T:WFC isn't any good. It seemed like it had potential.

It's a little dated now but...

Robotech:Battle Cry​

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
So five years ago it was cool to love all cartoons of the 1980s, now it's cool to hate them. Full circle I guess. NEXT.

It is a good game though.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
*goes to play the Armada based game on the PS2*

*shoulder rams decepticlones off of cliffs*

Now that was the best TF game ever.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Good one! I agree, I could only play through 3 chapters of Decepticon. It's really lame. The transforming thing is a total gimick and the flying sucks balls. The game looked like you're in big grey metal boxes. I get it, they're machines. But comon! And yeah, Megatron was overdone "Don't fail me, Starscream, or I'll rip your balls off and choke you with them!" ... sigh. So bad.

The jokes were a lot better than some of the recent EPs. Less dick waving and more insulting. I like.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Actually on a side note, since i only had the original toys. Optimus Prime and Megatron, i am not sure if its bad memory or me remember the original toys being made of metal as being superior to the lame plastic versions in later years. Also i remember them being complicated to transform from robot to truck where as the newer versions were more simple. Is this true or just my bad memory?

TheBlueRabbit

Ballistic Comedian
Jan 9, 2009
tredecim said:

Wait. THERE WAS A M.A.S.K. GAME? Why didn't I know this?!?!

OT: I think we all knew it was a marketing ploy by Hasbro. Most of the kids I knew didn't care. We were hooked anyway.

As for nostalgia being enough to make a game likeable, I'm ashamed to admit..........in this case it worked for me.

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
I had a strong feeling that he'd bash this game. It surely isn't the best when it comes to 3rd-person shooting, but it's certainly better than every Transformers game before it.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
snowman6251 said:
My only experience with transformers as a child was one toy that could transform between a robot and a dinosaur. Go figure that one out.

Also the process of making it transform was incredibly obnoxious and took at least 5 minutes which sucks when you're trying to play robot dinosaur vs spiderman.
Beast Wars was great. I had the Praying Mantis and the Rhino those at least were not too complicated.
My GI Joes always rode them into battle against my horde of Z-Bots. Such hopeless battles *tear* many a Joe was lost to those wars. (lighter fluid)

OT; Great as always.
Keep doing what you are doing.

K84

Feb 15, 2010
Funny review, as always, and i love it when Spider-Man 2 pops up.
I love that game.

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Although I have not played this game and never will, this just goes to reinforce my opinion that games made from movies / TV series are generally a big bag of wank. Cheap, badly-made tie-ins that are thrown together in a half-arsed manner and kicked out the door to squeeze a few more quid out of the franchise.

Even something that had a bit of effort put into it turned out to be shite - can you guess what? It starts with "G", ends in "s" and has the letters "h, o, s, t, b, u, s, t, e and r" in the middle.

It doesn't work the other way either although I will hold my hand up and say that Max Payne (the film) was alright in my opinion.

Wardy

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:

Agreed.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Good and funny review.

I'm hoping that in a few weeks he will review Mafia 2,can't wait to see what he thinks of it!

tredecim

Aug 25, 2010
TheBlueRabbit said:
tredecim said:

Wait. THERE WAS A M.A.S.K. GAME? Why didn't I know this?!?!

OT: I think we all knew it was a marketing ploy by Hasbro. Most of the kids I knew didn't care. We were hooked anyway.

As for nostalgia being enough to make a game likeable, I'm ashamed to admit..........in this case it worked for me.
There was indeed. Actually there were three of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.A.S.K.#Video_games

But I think it was the 2nd one I had. I remember getting to choose vehicles.

I miss being 5. Being able to play with Transformers, M.A.S.K., Visionaries, Manta Force, GI Joe and the lighters I kept nicking from my relatives.

My mum once walked into the bathroom where I'd constructed a massive 'death web' of toilet paper, strung all over every available surface and meeting in the middle, where Matt Trakker was about to meet his demise. I had JUST got the lighter ready to set the entire lot ablaze.

Bloody spoilsport woman. :(

C_Topher

May 17, 2009
I always enjoy it when a critic gives an honest review of something with a blindly loyal fan base. Yahtzee's right, most tie-ins are just for the fan boys, which is why we need a non-fan to review it as a game instead of a fan wank.

chinangel

Sep 25, 2009
i was never a fan of transformers, despite growing up int he appropriate generation. I also wasn't a fan of ninja turtles or practically any other cartoon. So I had no preconceptions going into this game except 'wow this is going to suck' i was wrong. I greatly enjoyed the game and had no real problem telling one thing from another. Though I did find the dialogue hammy.

Lefty01

Feb 16, 2010
Now i actually want to know the thematic relations between Transformers and Othello.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well I didn't buy this game so you can thus guess what I thought of it. I figured it was "budget bin fodder" right from the beginning, and this is despite having really liked "The Transformers" quite a bit as a kid.

One point I will make though is that while like a lot of 80s cartoons "Transformers" was a glorified toy commercial, it managed to do so well because it actually had something resembling a coherant storyline. As much as it will make people scream, it was one of the first encounters by mainstream American with what we now recognize as "Anime", and yes there are plenty of people who will point to the slightly less commercialized Japanese version, the differances, and numerous continuations of the stories and mythos that went beyond that we had here in the US.

I think in retrospect it's a comparitive thing.

I'll also say flat out that from the 1980s my favorite cartoon was "Thundercats" and I also have a degree of appreciation for "He-Man" and "Silverhawks", all above "Transformers" which arguably slides in at a distant 4th tied with "GI Joe". The thing is that there were truckloads of cartoons during that time period, and only a handfull of them are remembered with any amounts of nostolgia. Do some research into the tripe that was painfully ejected from the shared memory of my generation and you'll probably understand a bit better what made some of these things good enough to inspire fond memories.

It's possible to take anything that is pretty old (especially childrens entertainment) and call it unmitigated [email protected] from a crappy era, simply based on new innovations and higher standards that come with them, but also understand that your pretentious superiority in your "current" material will be equally mocked a couple decades later just the same.

Otherwise the review did make me laugh, and the bit about the flying pretty much confirmed my thoughts on this being a giant, poorly designed nostolgia cash in.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hehe. Loved tghe opening, I can only imagine mad fanboys will be incoming...

Awesome review though, and, glad not got it yet =D

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:

Amen brother, lovely visuals, an excellent combat system and weapons mechanic. A sense of being huge (helped by an Earth locale for the most part) and a subtle self-awareness motif running through the whole thing that made it woosh crikey fun.

As a Transformer fan of many of the different offerings of the franchise, one might think this review offended me. It did not. WFC was a shambles of a game that made me glade I only paid 50 bucks for it (half price down in Aus, though that might have been a clue) and frankly Yahtzee's given it the serve that it deserves.

Also there's something oddly compelling about the way he pronounces Autobots and Decepticons......hmm

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
Michael Bay should make a movie based on those weird Eastern European Commie cartoons. It will be an awful, awful movie, but people love it when Michael Bay makes shit. So enjoy.

Smexers

Jul 31, 2010
maddawg IAJI said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Then you're just as bad as the people who shout "FIRST!" your intention was to get the first post, same as them. The only difference is that you did it to spite them. So you're really not acting any better then them.

OT: I still wanna get this game, not because I like Transformers, but because I like 3rd person shooters. When done right, they're quite literally my favorite genre.
I more or less accidentally ran into this video, though i think yahtzee is awesome i was watching an "Unskippable" episode then saw the ZP review on cybertron in the related videos and thought to myself "how'd i miss this?" checked the comments and thought if i saw "comments (blank)" i wouldnt mind rubbing it in those "FIRST!!" people faces, its kind of like coincidentally seeing the local bakery open and as you see 30 fat kids getting out of a car running to the door you get there and go 1/2 way down on a freshly baked cookie and point and laugh as 1/3 of them are down for the count due to exhaustion. In short I'm awesome.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

He didn't diss the entire series. He claimed not to care, which is a perfectly acceptable thing to do. None of the Transformers media he has been exposed to (Transformers, RotF, WfC...) has been positive. If you're just complaining about Yahtzee bashing something, then I suppose all there is to say is:

Ha, ha.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I'm not a Transformers fan but from what I've seen, it's looks like a true Transformers game BUT also a somewhat run of the mill third person shooter with a slight twist of its own (transforming).

I wanted to play the demo but its multiplayer only. Now I'm sure the online could be fun, maybe even where the experience lasts but like all games the singe player will be my first priority.

This one will have to wait for a price drop.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
Lucane said:
It's a little dated now but...

(snip)
Woah... talk about a trip down Memory Lane. I still have that game, although I haven't played it for years.

On topic: I've played "War for Cybertron" for a while now. The first time I ever took an interest in Transformers was after trying the "Revenge of the Fallen" game and, I must say, I actually liked that game more than I do "War for Cybertron". It isn't so much a "bad" game in my eyes, but it most certainly is "disappointing".

zwober

Nov 20, 2009
WOPR said:
**looks at shelf of transformers collectibles**
so, you never actually played with any transformers as a young child ?
or did you keep one set for playing with and one set for putting on a shelf and thinking "oh boy, im going to score some major geekpoints for this when i grow old" - Btw, Shall we play a game ? (im guessing you get that quite often, but.. i just had to!)

on topic tho: i feel a sudden need to write down an idea for a game similar to katamari damaci (sorry if i typed that wrong) - basicly you just change into a bigger form of a transformer, from an egg to a T-rex, jumping around on other "formers" to get new parts.. kinda.. like.. mixing the Maw with Katamari and then, throw in some transformers.. yay or nay ?

Oh - And finally, the dandellion-rebellion has begun!

thublihnk

Jul 24, 2009
I like that both Yahtzee and Yahtzee's fanboys are prattling on about all this 'hate mail' and 'fanboy whining' when a thorough reading of the comment thread that has ensued so far has been unabashed Yahtzee tongue bathing. Maybe it'll spring up later. Doubt it.

OT: Fuckin' hate Transformers, don't give a shit about the game, good review.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I hate nostalgia. Few things were ever as good as we remember them, and even fewer things deserve to be put up on pedestals. Transformers was a fun cartoon, but the way it's treated as some sort of cultural icon really does demonstrate just how bad we are at resisting marketing.

I am AFK

Sep 20, 2009
so true any thing with contekt with mikle bay is going to go more south then a com viktim in a room full of zombeis. like any super nateral creter stephenie meyers tuches sill become a winy little ***** full of more anxt then all the animai carictors of the world comine.......... OH SHIT!!! we must protekt pirimed head!!

TheEnglishman

Jun 13, 2009
Well I think you're a different generation to me Yahtzee, but my generations Othello was the death of Wizardmon.

I also thank you for the Shia Le Bouf analogy. Saying that giant transfomring robots will just be too much for us and we need to focus on Shia Le Bouf to have any chance of comprehending what's going on is an insult to my and most normal people's intelligence.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
Lucane said:
"We used stealth by turning into loud vechiles that no robot had ever seen that could only really ram into other robot's."

The Decepticons where the more violent ones so they would likely incorperate weapons sooner into the vehicle modes than Autobots, and they weren't built at the beginning of the universe they were built for mechanical slave labor while starships and mass transit devices already exsisted.Decepticons wouldn't know what was a treat right away when the Autobots 1st learned how to transform into transport shuttles and such You'd waste resources and energy shooting/attacking anything that could possibly be an Autobot or just a normal energon cargo feighter.

ReverendJ

Mar 18, 2009
The joys of growing up. Interesting phenomena, this. Since business properly 'discovered' the youth markets around the 50s, children have been increasingly marketed to (as Yahtzee pointed out). The generation raised on the cartoons of the 80s got it bad, right up to where the milking machine analogy is true. Those shows were nothing but extended commercials, and people got/get rabid about it. Yay, geek culture.

Here's the beauty of it... They not only got your parents' cash when you were a young 'un, they've found that thanks to the beauty of nostalgia they can turn you around, decades after having lost you as a targeted demographic, and hit you AGAIN with the same crap! As well as catching a bunch of the new generation. You'll either accept or despise the way it's been repackaged, and even if you despise it, well, you'll probably at least go see the movie. Those of us who have children, meanwhile, now have an internal motivation to push their crap on our kids too, under the guise of 'sharing what we loved.'

My father took my son to see that P.O.S. Underdog movie for those very reasons. That man is one cheap bastard, but this ploy managed to wring $15 out of him. Good show, sirs.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
wow, I thought we already got our War for Cybertron review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1908-DeathSpank-Limbo]: "...if you want to play something bland and unchallenging [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1951-Transformers-War-for-Cybertron], why not try eating a dick!"

Interesting to get the perspective of a non-TF fan on the game. I'm a TF collector myself, and TBH the game, while bearable in all its 3rd person shooter glory, has some of the shittiest vehicle controls ever; like Yahtzee said, since the whole point of the Transformers franchise is the ability to transform, well yeah, was a bit of a fail there.

Also how come some of the TF's don't seem to have their respective abilities, or had them severely altered? Starscream's famed Null-ray cannon, an all-purpose phlebotinum-powered blaster with stun-locking abilities, becomes a sniper rifle anyone can wield. Sideswipe doesn't have his trademark shoulder cannon or jetpack, choosing instead to spin around like a mad robotic top of death. Worst of all, Soundwave only deploys the cassettes when he's a boss; as a playable character his powers are a shield and a static drone. WTF? They should've made the cassettes his powers: deploy Lazerbeak or Ratbat for mobile recon drones, and Rumble/Frenzy as attack drones.

Seriously, how can you fuck this kind of shit up, Activision?!? To think the developers actually called themselves TF fans.

Silver Scribbler

Aug 5, 2009
crotalidian said:
Interesting escapist mix on this Game Funk loved it (fanboy) Yahtzee hated it (predictably) and Rebecca Mayes even decide to chew it out as a bland 3rd person shooter...Wonder How MovieBob feels about it

Also ever notice how the Escapist team rarely comment on ZP vids especially when they contradict the Escapists opinion
I'd also love to hear what MovieBob thought of it, seeing as he detests all of the recent transformers films.

And that would be because Yahtzee makes them a lot of money, so they put up with his opinions whether they like them or not.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
YOU CAN'T PASS! When did Gandalf start to look like a box? I am gonna get this, even though I enjoyed the review. I will be giving FFXIII for half price. Suck on this, Square.

pyro42

Aug 22, 2009
here is what i think of trancformers, stop makeing new trancformers stuff, or better yet just stop messing with my childhood. both trancformers and sonic need to stop.

burninfidels

Jul 16, 2009
Heh, Transformers is one of those things I am glad I grew out of. I mean, I still have some nostalgia but boy, it was so retarded. I mean, many childhoods amusements remain more or less viable when you grow up. Not this one.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
voorhees123 said:
Actually on a side note, since i only had the original toys. Optimus Prime and Megatron, i am not sure if its bad memory or me remember the original toys being made of metal as being superior to the lame plastic versions in later years. Also i remember them being complicated to transform from robot to truck where as the newer versions were more simple. Is this true or just my bad memory?
The Toys varied in material some had metal others just plastic the rest had both.Also the whole G1 series of toys was remodeled from exsisting Japanesse toys from Takara before being rebranded as Transformers by Hasboro (Which means alot less spent on concept design and product testing) Which the second Generation didn't get any shortcuts on and needed full development to produce.

kaosboy13

Jul 3, 2008
I think I have to agree with you here, yahtzee, as this may be the best Transformers game ever made, and that's kinda like saying "the most polished turd". They have never been great. I was hoping more for a Twisted Metal style free-roaming war zone, but instead I get Gears of War in highly indistinguishable outfits in an environment that has the character of said turd. I played it a couple of times and then wondered why I spent 60 bucks on something so forgettable. Throw away the toy line names and it's a mediocre shooter no one would care about. And that has nothing to do with the fact that I never liked FPS games unless they had a sense of humor. Bring on Timesplitters 4 or Duke Nukem Forever and I'll get interested in toting a gun again.

DanHibiki

Aug 5, 2009
BlueHighwind said:
Michael Bay should make a movie based on those weird Eastern European Commie cartoons. It will be an awful, awful movie, but people love it when Michael Bay makes shit. So enjoy.
Are you kidding? I'd love to see Micheal Bay's version of Mister Twister or Nu Pagodi.

And, oh man... I can just imagine an adaptation of Kin Dza Dza.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Gameplay was actually exacted good above generic even
For what remains of the review (lots) spot on

I mean come on even halo has more variation in enemies then that

cp.06

Jun 20, 2010
My avatar and I feel very out of place now XD

Personally, I enjoyed the game but I'm a fanboy. Ah well, hilarious as always.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Thank God someone finally said it. I got this game from Gamefly when it was still bright shiny and new and I'd read a half dozen glowing reviews so I was so excited to play it.

Then I played it.

On a good day this is nothing but an average game wrapped in fanservice and nostalgia.

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
That first part about how how toys and videogames are money milking machines was brutal... And completely right. I'm sure it was a pretty nice surprise for the accountants in those fields when once the kid demographic grew up they'd still be loyal consumers... even without children of their own. D:

Nice one, Yahtzee.

SAMAS

Aug 27, 2009
Well it was, but nonetheless this was a fairly well-made criticism, unlike some other reviews I could name.

acidk44

Oct 25, 2009
this sucks I can't see it. it wont load. Man i missing the fun you guys (and girls if any) are talking about...
I feel like tossing the computer out the cunting window if only to see it suffer... ad then get arrested for attempted murder to the occasional passer by. :[

estoria-etnia

Aug 22, 2009
I never got Transformers. Maybe this is why I always gave the cartoons funny looks as a child and just stared blankly at the screen while I tried to figure out what was going on. I still don't get it now.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I think those eastern european films rubbed off on Yahtzee because he thinks buying toys you enjoy is the equivalent of being milked, and what else were you going to spend your money on as a kid besides ice cream?

Oh and I've never watched Transformers, I did have some happy meal toys but that was it, I never knew the stories or any of their damn names.

Then again that does mean I don't know whether the toys were worth it or if they were indeed milking the franchise, but I guess Yahtzee probably doesn't know either.

olfelix

May 14, 2010
From a person who liked the game, this review was fantastic. Good points and really funny.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
romxxii said:
Also how come some of the TF's don't seem to have their respective abilities, or had them severely altered? Starscream's famed Null-ray cannon, an all-purpose phlebotinum-powered blaster with stun-locking abilities, becomes a sniper rifle anyone can wield. Sideswipe doesn't have his trademark shoulder cannon or jetpack, choosing instead to spin around like a mad robotic top of death. Worst of all, Soundwave only deploys the cassettes when he's a boss; as a playable character his powers are a shield and a static drone. WTF? They should've made the cassettes his powers: deploy Lazerbeak or Ratbat for mobile recon drones, and Rumble/Frenzy as attack drones.

Seriously, how can you fuck this kind of shit up, Activision?!? To think the developers actually called themselves TF fans.
My guess would be when (If it wasn't an idea from the very start.)they planned out the multiplayer of the game ever character model can't have it's own uniqe special ability or sets of them be animated to do specialized moves like ejecting cassettes from there chest without looking like a Soundwave/Blaster rip-off or endup with parts that don't do anything like Sideswipes shoulder rocket that wouldn't have a purpose in the alternate mode. Here's hoping the sequal (If one is made) adds a little more flare and indivuality to them all for at least the storymode/Co-op multiplayer.

savageoblivi0n

Aug 7, 2008
great review as always....however i just feel that this is truly called for at this moment..

R.I.P my 18-wheeled friend...

XenoPenumbra

God of Nothingness
Jul 24, 2008
Great Review. Enjoy your holiday! I am curious though if you will review the scott pilgrim game, Probably not.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Man, I used to dream about the awesomness of Omega Supreme.

Being a kid was awesome!

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
To be honest, the only Transformers cartoon I thought was at all worthwhile was Beast Wars, and even then it didn't get properly good until they started killing each other while quoting Shakespeare.

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
It was my nostalgia that made enjoy the game as much as I did, but I think that's a good thing. It was awesome to see the faithful but still unique designs of Omega Supreme, Trypticon, Bumblebee etc., and having Peter Cullen and Johnny Yong Bosch among the voice cast was all the better. Oh, and Stan "The Touch" Bush doing a song over the end credits^-^

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Transformers was and always will be loveable shit (excluding the modern films which are just shit). The dialogue was crap, characters were dubious and action was laughable but we all love it for the nostalgia value.

It's not exactly alone in this, all cartoons made in that period of time were equally as bad with perhaps one or two exceptions.

But then on the other hand compared to He-man it's a masterpiece...

Jun 7, 2010
HAHA! absolutely brilliant. as soon as i thought that the magic was lost, you hit back with this hilarious episode.

I think i want to watch it again now.

Optimystic

Sep 24, 2008
It's a cover shooter w/ vehicle sections for the kids, and in that respect it does its job (i.e. giving the little snotrags a Gears of War alternative so they stop playing it.) But I agree completely with the review, Transformers HAS been getting a free ride due to nostalgia.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Lucane said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
Lucane said:

The Decepticons where the more violent ones so they would likely incorperate weapons sooner into the vehicle modes than Autobots, and they weren't built at the beginning of the universe they were built for mechanical slave labor while starships and mass transit devices already exsisted.Decepticons wouldn't know what was a treat right away when the Autobots 1st learned how to transform into transport shuttles and such You'd waste resources and energy shooting/attacking anything that could possibly be an Autobot or just a normal energon cargo feighter.
True, but you think that the Decepticons would instantly change their tactics from "shoot auto-bots" to "shoot anything that moves."

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
That dog...reminded me of something:

All in all, great review ^~^!

Mr.Petey

Dec 23, 2009
estoria-etnia said:
I never got Transformers. Maybe this is why I always gave the cartoons funny looks as a child and just stared blankly at the screen while I tried to figure out what was going on. I still don't get it now.
Same here, I don't see the point and hype of transformers in any media or form beyond the toys really. I'm glad there are some people including yahtzee who also sees this.

He has it nailed just right; the entire franchise was always going to be based on the success of the toy sales, giving them enough money to create another spin off saga and produce yet more toys based on it.

Circle of life 'n all that really. Sorry if I sound overly cynical in this but it's just reminds me of the "zombies, ninjas, pirates and monkeys are things people should stop banging on about"

I clearly see the point regarding how transforming into a car is basically a faster sprint mode as I felt this in the PS2 game Energon or something like that

herpaderpa

Jul 8, 2010
First time posting, long time fan.

When you get back could you possibly do a video on Castlevania: Harmony of Despair?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Not G. Ivingname said:
~Snip

True, but you think that the Decepticons would instantly change their tactics from "shoot auto-bots" to "shoot anything that moves."
Well all of this is superseded by it's based off of toylines before making a backstory to tie it all together but,playing any shooter game will tell you it's a real bad idea to shoot at everything that moves before you figure out it's friend, foe, or a streetlamp becuase sooner or later you'd either get tired,paranoid,distracted or worse of all run out of ammo before they actually attack,Actually the wosrt cast scenario would be shooting a teammate at least in my book.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

Yes, diss it for it's shitty movies, all the other shitty games, the shitty comics, the shitty cartoon and fucking Beast Wars. Just because you liked something as a child doesn't make it good. Haven't you noticed that children are stupid yet?

Kayevcee

Mar 5, 2008
I am 28, and I do own a Transformers duvet cover. I used it to cover my dealer table at the British Transformers convention in Birmingham, but I was still just a little bit creeped out when it seemed like Yahtzee was talking to me directly.

Sadly, I reckon the review was spot on. Transforming wasn't used as effectively as it could have been, the enemy types are depressingly similar cookie cutters, everything's bloody *grey* apart from the characters' faction-oriented highlights and there's almost no difference in the play styles between the Autobot and Decepticon campaigns. I got genuinely annoyed when I started up as Optimus Prime and saw Bumblebee and Ratchet blasting away at crippled, defenceless Decepticon troopers. Oi! We're supposed to be the good guys!

I agree that the best part of it is the dialogue, though. I would totally watch the cutscenes on their own and just skip the shooter bits in between.

-Nick

ewhac

Digital Spellweaver
Legacy
Escapist +
May 12, 2020
San Francisco Peninsula
Country
USA
This is one of the most artistically varied ZPs I've seen in a while.

First off, we get the parody of abstract B&W Eastern European animation, which was great.

Then we get the robots done in ZP style, which only seems dead simple if you've never tried to do this sort of thing yourself.

But then appears Robot Grandma, complete with robot gray hair in done up a robot bun. Can't explain why, but that little detail really impressed me.

Dandarez

Aug 25, 2010
Funny review as always.

I myself loved this game, granted I used to love Transformers as a kid too, and the game on the PS2.

I bought it on release, fired up the single player and played a couple of hours, and absolutely loved it. Only game I finished this year. It was a fun straight forward, kinda challenging 3rd person shooter and the pacing kept me going, never a dull moment for me. I found myself using vehicle mode quite often during boss battles to make sure I didn't get hit (always playing on the hardest difficulty I find in a game). Then after a few chapters I started the multiplayer now this is what made the game amazing to me, but also made me hate it. The action is absolutely amazing, felt a bit like Unreal Tournament, but there were so many problems with the multiplayer I stopped playing it after a few weeks. I wonder if they patched it, cause I would love to give it another go.

Man, what a nice incoherent piece of text I produced here.

mental_looney

Apr 29, 2008
Probably been said already but would the type of people who like transformers even know what Othello was other than something they heard about once when they were in school...

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
My favorite bit was the cardboard box, holding a staff and yelling "You shall not pass!".

Seriously, I think the transformers game could've been the opposite to "big bads vs you the midget" games; instead being a larger than life smashathon. Instead of the bosses being super huge to you, everything else is supposed to feel tiny.

Did the game do that well? I don't know near... anything... about the game, and the premise is enough keeps me from even trying (pretty much the same as how a lot of people would react to a Twilight video game).

I mean, c'mon... giant robots from Giant-Robot World 3 can have battles in space and across time instead decide to settle down on Earth and just, I don't know, fight over the pyramids... or the Eifle Tower...

Cobaltmotari

Nov 30, 2009
Just saw the review, and I have to be honest, Yahtzee, thank you so much for insulting Shia LeBoeuf twice for me. My night is officially complete!

*ahem*

I haven't played War for Cybertron yet, but I'll admit it looks ok. Not groundbreaking, but like Section 8, it's enough to hold my attention.

Bakfiets

Feb 18, 2009
Great review this game was hugely overrated by the "mainstream" game journalists (probably the nostalgia speaking) I've played it for an hour then decided that it sucked donkey balls.
I couldn't see 10ft in front of me the entire screen was one big cluster fuck of conjoined brown and grey shapes.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
I loved the game, but I freely admit to being a huge Transformer fanboy. I've been buying the toys, comics and videos/DVD's since 1984 and never stopped, it's just my thing and I feel no shame in admitting it.

The thing about this game is that it isn't for people who don't care about the characters and the mythos, it's for people like me that are fans of the series or shooter fans who might want a break from WWII or Space Marines fighting oversized bugs. Yes, that does limit the audience a bit but no more than releasing a stealth based game that punishes a player for going outside the parameters of sneaking without killing or flight sim.

Not every game is made to appeal to everyone. So while I disagree with most of the negative comments about War for Cybertron and the Transformers in general, I admit it is a niche game and license that won't hold the same appeal to the general public that it does for me. However, that doesn't negate my opinion the same that my love of the franchise doesn't negate the opinion of Yahtzee or those that agree with him.

(I wonder, can I still say I'm a fanboy even though I don't flame people who disagree with me or just come out and say " you're wrong, it's the best game EVAH! You just don't like it cause you're ghey!" or something like that?"

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
You are going on holiday, so you won't release new video when it's needed the most? Freakin new school year! Without any depression remedy there will be suicides all over the world.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
Entertain ourselves for seven days? Don't you mean two? Anyway, have fun on your holiday, oppressing those South Pacific natives or whatever you said in your XP.

Anyway, there was actually a bunch of things I didn't understand about Transformers. Why did Megatron turn into a gun? Everyone transforms into cars and tanks and helicopters and whatnot, but they've all got guns built in already. Why was the leader of the pack the guy who transformed into a gun? And since he was supposed to be an enormous robot, how did he fit all that into something so tiny?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I have to say that video made me laugh. I kind of agree with it I never watched the tv show, didnt watch the movie, and didnt play the game because it never interested me. It just looked rather stupid to me.

From what iv heard especially at places like eb is that its been a long line of extremely shitty game and shitty movies based on a mediocre tv series, and thats comeing from the transformers fans. Its a game and series that if you didnt watch it as a kid your not going to ever give a shit about it.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
Wait a second...in the caption picture and starting at 3:58...is that a VF-1 Valkyrie from Macross?

Nice oversight. Zing!

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
mental_looney said:
Probably been said already but would the type of people who like transformers even know what Othello was other than something they heard about once when they were in school...
Yes, since many of us are well read and educated. The thing about fans of Transformers is that we don't exclude anyone like many other niche groups. We accept young, old, black, white, yellow, red, gay, straight, male, female, skinny, fat, educated or dropouts as fellow fans of the franchise. Really the only thing that causes any turmoil (which usually is played for laughs anyway) is when the subject of which generation (G1, G2, Beat Wars, Armada, Car Robots, etc.) is the best.

I know it was a joke, but I think it's funny that you make that generalization when my library of, as Yahtzee calls them, "proper, wordy books" would probably dwarf that of many who claim to be a fan of the written word.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I agree with Yahtzee. There isn't alot for new-comers if you ask me. I played the game to death and I certainly love the entire franchise yet I haven't bought anything except for the '80s cartoon DVD pack. This is just a prequel, an official canon story for the real devoted people out there.

It borrows ALOT from other games. It isn't bad, but there isn't something 'unique' about it either. Multiplayer is solid and hectic though.

TheKKCQ

Aug 25, 2010
Poor, poor Yahtzee having to do a Transformers review...

Poor man.

"Coloured PROUD red and FABULOUS purple... Respectively."

Favourite line!

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Zero Serenity said:
Wait a second...in the caption picture and starting at 3:58...is that a VF-1 Valkyrie from Macross?

Nice oversight. Zing!
The VF-1 was used to create the Jetfire toy in the G1 Transformers series. It was licensed out to Hasbro by Takatoru Toys which led to Matchbox not being able to release it as opart of it's Robotech line and that led to the VF-1S being created in it's place.

So no, it isn't an oversight. (Understandable though since many people think of Jetfire as the Blackbird from the second Michael Bay movie)

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Lucane said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
~Snip

Well all of this is superseded by it's based off of toylines before making a backstory to tie it all together but,playing any shooter game will tell you it's a real bad idea to shoot at everything that moves before you figure out it's friend, foe, or a streetlamp becuase sooner or later you'd either get tired,paranoid,distracted or worse of all run out of ammo before they actually attack,Actually the wosrt cast scenario would be shooting a teammate at least in my book.
Ok, I give, you win.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
Zero Serenity said:

Nice oversight. Zing!
The VF-1 was used to create the Jetfire toy in the G1 Transformers series. It was licensed out to Hasbro by Takatoru Toys which led to Matchbox not being able to release it as opart of it's Robotech line and that led to the VF-1S being created in it's place.

So no, it isn't an oversight. (Understandable though since many people think of Jetfire as the Blackbird from the second Michael Bay movie)
<-Obviously not a transformers fan.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Blah blah, only made to sell toys, blah blah
Well, I knew you weren't going to like it, because even I (and ardent Transfan) wasn't really into it. However, I watch your videos for your...err, "creative" dialogue, and to find you falling back on such a well-trod and poorly supported fallacy is really disappointing.

Yes, it's true, someone found some cool toys, and said, "Make me a cartoon so I can sell these to kids." And that's how Transformers started, but it didn't last three seasons and include a feature length movie on the excess profits of toy sales alone. While there would always be a nagging bit of commercialism clinging to it, the animated series evolved into something more, and laid the ground work for future incarnations to be even better (e.g. Beast Wars).

So as you admittedly know little about Transformers, because you never watched, please stick to what you do know: videogames and colorfully absurd descriptions often involving genitals. Dump on the game mechanics all you want, but don't take cheap shots at source material to pad you video.

ProjectTrinity

Apr 29, 2010
The show was actually inspiring to me when I was young. Er- younger. As someone who makes a series (not important lol) and writes novels (not published!), I appreciate the series for the inspiration...at the time.

But it all ends there.

Good insight on the game. I lol'd hard. I have no attachments whatsoever to the series, so I view this just like any original IP. That is, the hate seems pretty justified to me.
Pugiron said:
Don't just blame not having Transformers as a kid. I am sure being Emglish has a lot to do with you hating fun. And don't say "British" as you were born, grew up, and died inside in England, not Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland. Overall a mildly funny game with extra points from most fans because of nostaligia.
And all I can say is "lolwat?"

FuQ Halo

Aug 11, 2010
"This was game's chance to make me like transformers..."

You actually thought this game ever had a chance to ever not suck? People's egos will always get the best of them, and while game producers know that fans will buy shit just to validate their reality, shit will flow. Stop fucking up the majority vote you knob fanboys.

Good laughs as always

-S

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
BlueInkAlchemist said:
101194 said:
There's every reason. Nostalgia only exists as long as you keep the rose colored glasses on your face. Just because we grew up on something doesn't make it sacred.

That said, I loved Transformers as a kid. I still think it was better then than it is now, for various reasons, but that doesn't mean I'm going to get all butthurt when someone points out some of the flaws in it, i.e. making kids milk their parents for cash.
About the only thing I really liked about the original Transformers were the Dinobots and even they were not enough to keep me interested through the second season. The third season depended on you seeing the film to even to begin to understand what the blazes was going on and even then it wasn't that interesting. I actually found Beast Wars and Beast Machines MORE interesting then the original series--likely because they kept the character count down and had a somewhat interesting storyline.

I will say Beast Wars went off the rails with the 'we are on Earth in the distant past' song and dance and kind of went into a death spiral after that.

Pinguin

Aug 15, 2009
101194 said:
I don't believe he did. I think he was commenting about the transformers fans who look past the game's failings because it's about transformers.

Good review though I thought. I haven't played the game because. I also missed transformers as a kid, so have no particular interest. I managed to watch the first film, though I was very close to walking out of the cinema at a few points. To paraphrase Yahtzee, with that film Michael Bay f***ed up the chance for me to become a fan.

TheMadTypist

Sep 8, 2009
Ah, it had such capacity for good, and yet, it was so forgettable that now I wonder why I bothered buying it. I do disagree on the size of the bosses though, the big dino-cannon who (spoilers) you have to destroy a critical part inside of and then fly out of while he transforms really does feel big at first, even though he feels massively scaled down for his boss battles on the ground.

I really wanted to like it, but they mucked up multiplayer so damn badly (I mean, no chat whatsoever? in team matches? seriously?) and didn't include a bunch of stuff they gave the console versions (I can't unlock preorder characters? I can't buy DLC? Seriously Activision, the hell? Why you gotta interfere with New Moon Studios like this, turn it into some junkfood-throwaway game instead of a decent tribute and an actually long-term-fun game?) that I just couldn't stick with it. Even when they gave us double multiplayer XP for that one weekend, I managed just the one or two matches before I got bored. There's hackers all over the damn place now and without a patch, it's just going to get worse/die off. Oh, and no dedicated servers, and when the host quits, the you're dumped out of the match. No XP. just dumped out.

Gotta remember that it's High Mood studio's first PC title, though, so perhaps that explains some of it. I heard about a podcast where a dev said they were working on supporting the PC version (main issue was finding a delivery method).

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
Nueemann said:
Well, he'll be back in time to give Halo Reach a sound maiming, so I'll look forward to that. (I'll be buying the game, but I always enjoy his criticism.)
If he does... It will probably just be like Halo 3's review all over again...

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
I think the game was ok-ish, while a vehicle section would have made it more awesome, i wouldn't diss the game entirely. The visuals are sometimes stunning and the atmosphere drew me in sometimes, which is what i'd expect from a game. And no, i don't really care about Transformers in general.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Zero Serenity said:
RowdyRodimus said:
Zero Serenity said:

Nice oversight. Zing!

<-Obviously not a transformers fan.
It's not a problem. My motto is if you learn one thing new everyday (no matter how useless it is) then you're doing well lol

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
WOPR said:
You know you just proved his "colored your milk machines and argued which was best" point right?
I was using myself as an example to prove his point, I've no clue why I still have those things but whatever, at least I can be one of THOSE people who can actually admit he's right (unlike those people who play and "enjoy" brawl despite their constant complaining of it's "combat system")

dmcc85

Feb 18, 2010
14 days you mean... because if you re not makeing a video next week (in 7 days)
you will hopefully make another one the week after that (in 14 days)
some people might die due to boredom because of that.
but never mind, their lifes never where value.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
bahahaha that was funny cuz it was true
but I didn't think his complaints made the game bad for me
I still enjoyed the game, even tho I did not grow up watching the show

Othello...maybe in the cartoon
but let's forget about Bay's 2nd Tf movie

JacobPlackett

Oct 25, 2008
I can't agree with Yahtzee. This game was awesome. I'm not a massive fan of Transformers (I like the show and love the 1986 movie, but don't collect the toys), and I enjoyed this more than Gears Of War, the game people claim WFC to be a clone of. The characters had more personality than quite a lot of other popular Xbox characters (Optimus Prime in my opinion being the best character in an Xbox 360 game). He also seemed to neglect that a few of the missions used the vehicles extensively, for long roads or big gaps. Also, he didn't mention Trypticon. On hard. In Single player.

Also he can shut the fuck up about Optimus Prime not being an emotional scene since trolls can't feel emotion.

Zero Serenity

Nov 21, 2009
RowdyRodimus said:
It's not a problem. My motto is if you learn one thing new everyday (no matter how useless it is) then you're doing well lol
*Projectile Vomits* Still sick methinks. But yeah. It's not completely a whack job, I mean, Bandai still makes a vast ammount of toys (plastic ones) for Disney's Power Rangers series.

Lyxwal

May 12, 2008
I'd just like to say;
I love Transformers
the original cartoon was hilariously bad and that's why I love it
and if you think this game was bad, you should try Cybertron Adventure for the wii. Basically take this game, take out all the good stuff about it, and make the bad stuff worse. Except for maybe the final fight against Trypticon lol

d_woo77

May 11, 2008
WHAT?? No ZP next week?? Why should I have to entertain myself for 7 days? That's Yahtzee's job! Entertain me, you Hurculean, poo-tossing, monkey man!

Eversor

May 21, 2009
Sorry Yahtzee, you really don't get it, but that's fine. Different strokes to different folks. I greatly enjoyed the game.

It is rather ironic how old cartoons that were made to sell toys actually had decent plot, y'know, bad guys fucking shit up, good guys kicking their ass. It's not something cartoons these days can be proud of, being a screeching clusterfuck of slapstick comedy. I'll take 80's animated toy commercials all day every day over what qualifies as a "cartoon" these days, at least they had some soul in them. Even all that soul just wanted us to buy toys, at least it was honest and clear.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
I actually liked the game but I did find this review hilarious.

I personally think the game's strong point was that atleast it wasn't another damn "Modern Warfare" ripoff. True there were robot soldiers and little tid bits, but it wasn't in Iraq...

Way to review, Yahtzee. Made my day.

Apr 16, 2008
yes, I have never liked Shia one bit. He always essentially plays the same character in all his movies: Panicked normal guy. The Panicked normal guy is always panicked about some larger than life scenario and is always stuttering and fast talking as he describes it. What a tool.

... so when are you going to review Starcraft 2 yahtzee?

EBHughsThe1st

Nov 18, 2009
While he had some good points, I respectfully disagree.

It was Yahtzee's brutal, joke-layden "critique" that I expected. Even so, low blow, man. Why dis an entire franchise and it's fans off of one game? That's like never going to a strip club again because the strippers tits were too small.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
Croaker42 said:
snowman6251 said:

Beast Wars was great. I had the Praying Mantis and the Rhino those at least were not too complicated.
My GI Joes always rode them into battle against my horde of Z-Bots. Such hopeless battles *tear* many a Joe was lost to those wars. (lighter fluid)

OT; Great as always.
Keep doing what you are doing.
I had the tiger bat and the t rex the tiger and bat were hard as fuck and megatrons t rex self didnt fit inside his chest cavity to well

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I agree it was underwhelming and repetitive. The boss fights were combination's of run and gun, and hide and gun, with no unique or interesting ways of destroying them. I'm glad I got to play it at a buddies place. Let him have to actually pay for that dang thing, while I can have the 20 minutes of fun that it lent me. He does like the multiplayer though, so perhaps that has something of a redeeming quality.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Hah! I knew it, Yahtzee is secretly a Gobots fanboy and jealous it's never gotten the attention Transformers has!

For shame, Yahtzee, for shame!

=P

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well. I honestly cannot argue most of his points in this. The game is extremely repetitive and most of the enemies you fight are very generic. The multiplayer was .. amusing for a day or two but got old quick.

Nostalgia might play a role in the desire to see this game come to light. However the game isnt entirely bad. The story from a lore standpoint is fairly solid.

One thing I would have to argue is that nostalgia is and isnt the only positive thing about it. For those who have been wanting a transformers game basically since 1980s, even as astoundingly average the game is on most its levels its still leaps and bounds better than any other transformers game that has yet to exist and in a sense, it offers a glimmer of hope that if the developers who did WFC can clean up a few technical issues and problems have the potential to make a sequel of this be a truly good game, which is more hope than the series has had in game form in an extremely long time.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Oh, I thought his vacation was this week. This was a pleasant surprise, especially since it was so funny. But, War For Cybertron? I wondered what he could review, but still, War For Cybertron?

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Funny review, still loved the game though. And I loved the Transformers universe (I have a few books of them around here somewhere) and loved the toys (have A LOT of those around here :D)

Don't judge me!

WIUtomato

Oct 18, 2008
Thank you Yahtzee. Okay, I'll be the first to admit, as a wee lad, I love the Transformers. I had several toys, lunch boxes, bed sheets, etc. That being said, of all that lot, I have precisely fuck-all left. Yard sales and younger cousins spirited all that away from me, and, as much as I may think of myself as a hopeless man-child (or, more accurately, as much as my wife may think of me as a hopeless man-child...) I've never really regretted their passing. The one time I tried to return to those halcyon days, when the first transformers movie came out, was quickly snuffed by said same piece of garbage...

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Wait , isnt Yahtzee on vacations. I came to the Escapist without hope for anything and there it was ZP!
Thanks Yahtzee for putting us above your vacations!

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
A bit lazy, Yahtzee, aren't we? You could've done this whole review without ever playing the game.

I forgive you because it was awesome though.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Not his best work, but still entertaining. Don't think I'll bother with Transformers:WFC. Anyways, have a good holiday! I wonder if he's going international or not...

Deacon Cole

Sep 3, 2020
Country
USA
I'm a Transformers fan from way back and I can say now without any problem that Transformers is shit. It was shit back then and it's still shit now. It has absolutely no reason to exist.

So, a bad game was made of it. What a surprise. You can't spin a turd into gold, mate.

Tony2077

Dec 19, 2007
this maybe nostalgia talking but i liked the animated transformer movie. i also liked the one animated series that was on ytv for awhile when i have no clue anymore and which one I'd have to look up but it had hotshot in it. to be honest i still like transformers but not the toys or games but some of the series and movie

gamepopper101

Aug 12, 2009
Eh, I rarely cared for Transformers anyway. I think Optimus Prime's death was over blown and silly to be taken seriously.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
The moment I saw Pavarotti I guffawed rather loudly.

I never liked transformers either, I was raised on things like "Round the twist" and "The trap door" so thankfully I've never fallen into the nostalgia trap. And I watched the original animated transformers film and didn't bat an eyelash when Optimus carked it.

pheipl

Jun 24, 2010
While I only agree with you 40% of the review ... I must say one thing.

WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY HAVE YOU NOT DONE A REVIEW ON METRO 2033 ???

You use the bloody thing as an example in every of your recent videos yet no review, why ?

I know I'm just a fanboy and that's why I want you to review it, but c'mon, I'm sure you have enough reasons to do it yourself and it might be fun to hear you comment about the Librerians :)

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
OK, I"m officially sick of Zero Punctuation. I knew this day would come eventually, all one trick ponies get boring eventually. Maybe if the man had some actual knowledge about the industry or follow his own advice and try some innovation, I'd be thinking different. I know it's not his fault, but whats more worthless then a critic with only one opinion. So long Yahtzee, I respect you, and thank you for all the laughs, but I just cant keep watching.

ItsAPaul

Mar 4, 2009
ITs about time, though something tells me it just got released in Australia or something. I don't see how its THAT bad, but its not like Transformers was ever known for amazing games or anything.

Lucifron

Dec 21, 2009
I was born too late to /nostalgia at the mention of Transformers. For me and my friends, our sole interaction with the franchise has been through movies of a certain Michael. As for the review, entertaining as always.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
viranimus said:
One thing I would have to argue is that nostalgia is and isnt the only positive thing about it. For those who have been wanting a transformers game basically since 1980s, even as astoundingly average the game is on most its levels its still leaps and bounds better than any other transformers game that has yet to exist and in a sense, it offers a glimmer of hope that if the developers who did WFC can clean up a few technical issues and problems have the potential to make a sequel of this be a truly good game, which is more hope than the series has had in game form in an extremely long time.
Somebody hasn't played Transformers [http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Transformers_%28Melbourne_House%29] on the PS2. Still, six years is a long time to wait.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
101194 said:
Ricky Cabrera said:
Clever.

ZP:

He dissed the game, not the entire series. H simply pointed out that the series was a giant toy ad. Which it literally was intended to be.

Smallells

Feb 18, 2010
Prime dies? Oh well. The main thing I'm worried about is if anyone doesn't understand Othello. Oh my heart weeps!....or whatever.

Watched one series about 4 years ago for about an entire year - purely because it was on before yu-gi-oh GX (don't start). I was never married to it. And I tried the game when my brother brought it. 20 minutes later - back to Oblivion. It just has no hooks.

Guess watching the movies is useless now? Unless Prime comes back to life somehow. That's always an unexpected plot twist! A robot that reboots. WOW!

Anyway, usual analogy filled video review. Well done and enjoy your holiday.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Lucane said:
romxxii said:

My guess would be when (If it wasn't an idea from the very start.)they planned out the multiplayer of the game ever character model can't have it's own uniqe special ability or sets of them be animated to do specialized moves like ejecting cassettes from there chest without looking like a Soundwave/Blaster rip-off or endup with parts that don't do anything like Sideswipe's shoulder rocket that wouldn't have a purpose in the alternate mode. Here's hoping the sequal sequel (If one is made) adds a little more flare flair and individuality to them all for at least the storymode/Co-op multiplayer.

corrections are mine, sorry feeling like a bit of a spelling Nazi today. :p -- romxxii
Well if they had planned out in making a Soundwave/Blaster ripoff, why not go all the way and make it a specific character class, and make the damned cassettes the class' specific powers. As for the shoulder cannon, that's BS reasoning, since their melee weapons are hidden and only pop out when needed. Same could've been done, and again, have it as a special power.

IMHO, they weren't out to please the fans; instead they just wanted to turn in a quick buck and put in as many possible references to lull the fanbase into a false sense of squee. Case in point: the flying Autobots being called "aerialbots" when the Aerialbots themselves were created post-Cybertron war. Ok, it could be argued that there was that one episode where they travelled back in time, but hell, I was destroying these buggers left and right, and there should've only been 5 Aerialbots! It made sense with the Seekers, which seemed to have unlimited numbers, but then Seekers are supposed to all look like Starscream. The Seeker mooks you encounter have an entirely different character model. They're references in name only, not actual references to iconic characters. And I wanted to buy the game because I wanted to play as these iconic characters. Not as random dying Transformer #23582934.

Personally, I hope they hand over the sequel (if there's to be one at all) to a different development team. Come to think of it, I hope Hasbro hands the game rights to an entirely different publisher.

John Decker

Aug 14, 2010
Well I saw this coming a mile away, I do say the game is fun, just has some issues, the number 1 annoyance is I somtimes hit the magical force me off the platform above the instant death pit, sure i get mad, but still fun, well that and the fact remainsits fun, just don't be a modder, cause that drains fun from everything.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
Useless fan post #482

I liked your video. I even played with the toys, but the draw feature of the toys was that I could transform them and see how it all worked. I didn't watch boob-tube as a kid so I missed out on all that drama. And the game doesn't allow me to physically transform the robots. Maybe if they turned it into a puzzle game and allowed you to pick which piece to move when...

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
The Melbourne House Transformers (on PS2) was excellent, play that if you want to switch smoothly between shooting and racing action.

Basically it's like Shadow of the Colossus in sections, and Halo in others. Great game.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
internetzealot1 said:
"Shia LaButtfuck"
Nice.
Except he didn't say it first, Spoony did. It's a well-documented fact Yahtzee likes Spoony's reviews a lot.

Now I must commit myself to the asylum for massive Internet nerds.

Kermi

Nov 7, 2007
The only people I know who liked this game are huge Transformers fans. They liked the mutiplayer, because they liked Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer.

This review is... unsurprising.

Also, dick pistons will now be entered into my regular vernacular.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
romxxii said:
Lucane said:
My guess would be when (If it wasn't an idea from the very start.)they planned out the multiplayer of the game ever character model can't have it's own uniqe special ability or sets of them be animated to do specialized moves like ejecting cassettes from there chest without looking like a Soundwave/Blaster rip-off or endup with parts that don't do anything like Sideswipe's shoulder rocket that wouldn't have a purpose in the alternate mode. Here's hoping the sequal sequel (If one is made) adds a little more flare flair and individuality to them all for at least the storymode/Co-op multiplayer.

corrections are mine, sorry feeling like a bit of a spelling Nazi today. :p -- romxxii
Well if they had planned out in making a Soundwave/Blaster ripoff, why not go all the way and make it a specific character class, and make the damned cassettes the class' specific powers. As for the shoulder cannon, that's BS reasoning, since their melee weapons are hidden and only pop out when needed. Same could've been done, and again, have it as a special power.

IMHO, they weren't out to please the fans; instead they just wanted to turn in a quick buck and put in as many possible references to lull the fanbase into a false sense of squee. Case in point: the flying Autobots being called "aerialbots" when the Aerialbots themselves were created post-Cybertron war. Ok, it could be argued that there was that one episode where they travelled back in time, but hell, I was destroying these buggers left and right, and there should've only been 5 Aerialbots! It made sense with the Seekers, which seemed to have unlimited numbers, but then Seekers are supposed to all look like Starscream. The Seeker mooks you encounter have an entirely different character model. They're references in name only, not actual references to iconic characters. And I wanted to buy the game because I wanted to play as these iconic characters. Not as random dying Transformer #23582934.

Personally, I hope they hand over the sequel (if there's to be one at all) to a different development team. Come to think of it, I hope Hasbro hands the game rights to an entirely different publisher.
I was partly tired then so I'm glad I only messed up on sequel.(I was just unaware of flair.)

I didn't mean they planned to make a rip off but if Soundwave got special "sentry pods" that were Rumble, Frenzy and/or Lazerbeak It'd appear as an advantage(or disadvante if they aren't good) compared to normal ones if others character still got sentries like they have now.If they only had single-player I'd be just as pissed as you but they probally thought they have to open the door for the brand to non fans now and could possible do more detail next time around.

Oh and the Autobots had a few more than just 5 flying vehicles Omega Supreme,Jetfire(Skyfire),Cosmos,Sandstorm,Tidalwave & Powerglide to name a few. When they were built is a different matter however.

Besides the Great War (to my knowledge)isn't covered much by other Transformers material if they do a sequel in a time period before they end up heading to earth again they could talk about how the majority of the Autobot flyer grunts end up being destoryed and how newer Autobots tended to prefer land/sea based vehicles more often. While Decepticons took more often than not to the skys.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Why would Transformers want to transform? What kind of question is that? It's like someone who is attached to a skateboard and is perfectly adept at using it deciding not to just because.

Anyways I found the Omega levels had more in common with horror games than a lot of recent so-called horror games. Omega is huge, you can't hurt him, he's hunting your ass down and wrecking the shit out of the level trying to get at you. You could make a decent Jaws game out of that. Also the decepticon dialouge was entertaining, I was fond of listening to Swindle's dialouge in particular; ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?! I mean... Yes Megaton, brilliant, Megatron! You won't find something like that in Halo or Gears games. I also found the idea of a deathrace arena themed after the subway system, complete with rolling mines and speeding bullet trains would have been a bloodsport right up the Decepticon's alley.

I agree that it would have been better if more characters than Megatron himself had signature weapons... Oh well. I found the vehicle modes and the levels that use them heavily gave it some variety from the usual TPS fare, the flying levels were enjoyable (Yatzee seemed to have forgotten there's vertical accent and decent buttons). And the two giant bosses at the end of each story were a bit frustrating, but were also much more satisfying than the two leaders duking it out.

All in all a solid... rental.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
The Random One said:
I think even fanboys cannot find the will to stand up for this game.
I love the game,(except for the competitive multiplayer without friends) but I know it isn't for everyone.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7768-Review-Transformers-War-for-Cybertron

Siege_TF said:
Also the decepticon dialouge was entertaining, I was fond of listening to Swindle's dialouge in particular; ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?! I mean... Yes Megaton, brilliant, Megatron!
That was actually Breakdown >.>

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
WOW! The game really didn't thrill me and the review did even less.

It reminded me of those early 80's reviews of KISS, which basically went...
"We know nothing about the group BUT here's why we hate 'em!"

I find it funny that the man who can tell me everything about the history of almost anything knows next to nothing about THIS thing.

I got two words for ya Ben... Re Search.

LazyAza

May 28, 2008
Yup, I'm a tf fan but man was that game disappointing, not disappointing because it lacked 'fan-wank' material but because it was a crap game. The gameplay is so insanely repetitive and dull its mind boggling when you realize its GIANT EFFING ROBOTS, and some how they made a boring game out of that its like, wtf. Still was nowhere near as big a bunch in the balls as Bays movies. lol

LockandKey

Feb 22, 2009
snowman6251 said:

You know beast wars transformers had to be the best one...

_________________________-
As for the review I have to agree it's not that good I played it at my friends house recently and we decided to switch to a different game about an hour in.

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Here's Shia LeButtFuck. HE IS YOU.

Well, Croshaw, enjoy your week off. Maybe once that's over, all this Transformers fanboy rage will have finally subsided.

Apr 7, 2010
This episode is great. Just pure win. Because I never got into that whole TransFormers thing either. Have a nice vacation you TWAT!

TheSchaef

Feb 1, 2008
The reason we Yanks like Transformers is actually a pretty simple premise: we like robots that turn into things and blow stuff up.

It's why we liked Transformers, it's why we loved Robotech, and it's why we still tune in when Adult Swim does their Saturday night anime orgy, even though you don't recognize half the series they're running and joined halfway through season two so you don't understand why the warring factions are named eerily similar to 20th-century nation-states or why 11-year-olds are allowed to pilot flying mechs or what in the f-ing world a tenkaichi budokai is supposed to even BE.

Seriously. Robots, explosions, speed lines. We're that shallow.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
Lucane said:
romxxii said:
Lucane said:

I was partly tired then so I'm glad I only messed up on sequel.(I was just unaware of flair.)

I didn't mean they planned to make a rip off but if Soundwave got special "sentry pods" that were Rumble, Frenzy and/or Lazerbeak It'd appear as an advantage(or disadvante if they aren't good) compared to normal ones if others character still got sentries like they have now.If they only had single-player I'd be just as pissed as you but they probally thought they have to open the door for the brand to non fans now and could possible do more detail next time around.

Oh and the Autobots had a few more than just 5 flying vehicles Omega Supreme,Jetfire(Skyfire),Cosmos,Sandstorm,Tidalwave & Powerglide to name a few. When they were built is a different matter however.

Besides the Great War (to my knowledge)isn't covered much by other Transformers material if they do a sequel in a time period before they end up heading to earth again they could talk about how the majority of the Autobot flyer grunts end up being destoryed and how newer Autobots tended to prefer land/sea based vehicles more often. While Decepticons took more often than not to the skys.
That was my point: make it a specific class, don't make the cassette gang too powerful or impose some sort of penalty balance if you still wanna make the bruiser cassettes tough-as-nails. Hell, they could've done Lazerbeak as simple as he ejects, and invisible troops become visible to Soundwave. Or turn him into a flying glass cannon; deals powerful ranged damage, but a couple potshots aimed his way and he flies back to Soundwave. Even from a multiplayer aspect, having an Engineer class with variable type sentry guns sounds like a better idea that the "Scientist" class with its shield wall and static drone.

As for the flying vehicles, yes there are more than 5, but there are only 5 Aerialbots. Using the name of the combiner-jet team as a generic catchall phrase for "flying autobot" smacks of trying to shoehorn as many references to the franchise as possible without putting it in proper context. Powerglide wasn't called an Aerialbot, neither was Omega or Jetfire. First time I heard, "look out, Aerialbots!" I was practically on my toes at the thought of blasting away Silverbolt, or perhaps that smug bastard Air Raid, when I soon realized that waittaminute these buggers are just copy-paste Seekers for Autobots!

The Great War has actually been documented over and over again; The Sunbow cartoons (that's the 1986 cartoons) had its version(s), IDW came up with its own, etc etc. I don't understand why people keep treating that period of the Transformers timeline as carte blanche, as if Hasbro couldn't decide which parts are canon. Or maybe Hasbro just doesn't care, and only wants me to keep forking over the dough for my plastic crack habit. Which I'm trying to break, honestly. :p

Sengoku Shunsuke

Jun 30, 2010
"This is YOU!!!"
Yeah I fucking hate that in films, sure if the story has a protagonist it will be up to my observation of his vicissitudes that determines if he is my way into the plot. I don't want a film jamming it down my throat and going "you must like this guy, he's just like you so he is!" because then i won't give two shits if he is force fed the remains of his own dead mother to be honest.

Fantastic review as always Mr.Croshaw, and from a fan, you hit it so well on the head. Most notably when you point out that the game simply does not convey the sheer scale and scope possible in the franchise, then again not much in my eyes ever has. Maybe my expectations are too high?

Enjoy your well earned holiday mate, as long as it isn't England as it is pissing it down here at the moment.

Sengoku Shunsuke

Jun 30, 2010
"This is YOU!!!"
Yeah I fucking hate that in films, sure if the story has a protagonist it will be up to my observation of his vicissitudes that determines if he is my way into the plot. I don't want a film jamming it down my throat and going "OMG! You must like this guy, he's just like you so he is!" because then i won't give two shits if he is force fed the remains of his own dead mother to be honest.

Fantastic review as always Mr.Croshaw, and from a fan, you hit it so well on the head. Most notably when you point out that the game simply does not convey the sheer scale and scope possible in the franchise, then again not much in my eyes ever has. Maybe my expectations are too high?

Enjoy your well earned holiday mate, as long as it isn't England as it is pissing it down here at the moment.

Sengoku Shunsuke

Jun 30, 2010
Bollox, my connection severed and somehow I posted multiples. Can someone help? Or delete them?
Sorry for my cock up.