Zero Punctuation: Two Worlds II

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Two Worlds II

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews the sequel to One Worlds One... err Two Worlds One... eh whatever.

Watch Video

Kegsen

Feb 20, 2011
Ah. Cold beer, Mr. Croshaws latest ramblings. Life is good :)
Although my cravings for Two Worlds...2..(never even heard about the first one) isn`t reaching an all time high.

Xsist

Jul 20, 2009
Well thats because we are hardcore yahtzee! We don't smile... we are seriously really super serious!

(Good review btw :p I feel your hatred for magic!)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I saw which game he was reviewing, and before I even clicked on the link, I thought, "Oh, this is going to be bloody."

I was actually somewhat surprised that he didn't brutally eviscerate every aspect of the game like he did with Mindjack, but maybe it's just soft compared to last week's, because he still didn't find much to recommend it.

Srdjan Tanaskovic

Oct 20, 2010
............................a laptop?

seriously?

you play a demanding game on a laptop?

...........*shock*

Also go play Trine. The wizard seems to be a happy dude in that game

EvetscipE

Sep 2, 2009
Two worlds 2, while being vastly superior to it's predecessor is still a TERRIBLE GAME! The controls are beyond stupid, the story is pathetic and the animation is lazy!

The story changed sevral times, names change and the main villain is alive in this despite being killed in the end and your sister's name changes in the same game from Kyro(k-eye-rah) to Kyra(K-ee-rah) and the orc female is apparently not an orc at the start but an orc at the end

the controls on xbox:
X=map
Y=quests
D-pad down=Unsheath sword
LT=Sprint, and sneak, AND block

I'm not saying not to buy the game, but if you do, keep your receipt h

and what yahtzee said about the button press>action delay...that isnt your PC, mate, it's the game, it's like that on all platforms >.>andy

PunkyMcGee

A Clever Title
Apr 5, 2010
Why did they make a sequel to a game a lot of people didn't like?

Also the Japanese body pillow call back in the credits cracked me up.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
Nails continue to be hit on the head courtesy of Mr. Croshaw.

Last time I'd heard of Two Worlds, it was back when Graham from LRR donned Yahtzee's hat to take a swing at X-Blades. Naturally, I wasn't expecting good things from a sequel to a game described as "abysmal" but market penetration in the entertainment industry is all about sequels these days, right?

Sticky Squid

Dec 30, 2010
What's with Yahtzee talking about sweet things then ruining the image with something unappealing?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That magic system sounds interesting to me. I'll pick this up after the inevitable, and hopefully swift, price drop.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
First of all, Yahtzee, dearest, there is the option of switching between three equipment presets (melee, ranged and magic) on the fly, meaning that you can not only switch from your bow to your sword&shield with a single button, you can have that same button switch your entire outfit. Sure, ridicule the game for its flaws, but don't ridicule it for your inability to read the manual or PAY ATTENTION DURING THE TUTORIAL (which explains the concept).

That being said, the game is poop. Terrible interface, sluggish controls, laughable "plot", atrocious voice acting, lack of remotely interesting characters (the one dude that seemed like he might be fun gets killed off in the first 15 minutes of the game), overly complicated magic system which also happens to be the least effective combat method and is also made needlessly annoying by the poor interface, the list goes on and on.

But don't bash on it for not letting you switch equipment, because it does.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I'm kind of surprised you didn't stick with the mage, even with that card changing mess.
I've found that when you can pick out of the three classes, the mage is almost always the way to go with Western RPG's (Dragon Age, Fable II, et al.)

There's just something about lighting people on various flavors of element that never really gets old, as opposed to a sword or bow class.

Xsist

Jul 20, 2009
Srdjan Tanaskovic said:
Also go play Trine. The wizard seems to be a happy dude in that game
Well that isn't exactly "these days" now is it? And he has reviewed it already ^^ http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/892-2-5D-Hoedown

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Wow, that inventory system sounds terrible- didn't anyone playtest it?

And is it strange that the bit that turns me off fantasy games is the whole... fantasy part? Give me a good medieval Robin Hood game and I'd be in seventh heaven, but ohhh... you just had to put spells in it, didn't you... It's like post apocalyptic games feeling that they just have to have mutants for some arbitrary reason. Did Mad Max 2 need mutants to be the best post apocalypse film ever made? No it bloody well didn't!

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
As always a wonderful review. I only wish I could spot the quirks of western RPGS, but I don't play western RPGS, so that might have something to do with it.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
2 Worlds 2? I can't say I expected that in the least.
Oh well. Anyway, what turned me off Fallout 3 (or one of) was that, after I'd done a hundred side quests that all sounded very urgent and relevant, I'd wander around Megaton for a bit, trying to pick up the next lead, only to remember that my object screen still had story quests on them. I never felt like I was ever in a story...
Mass Effect had a similar problem (though, not as bad), which I felt was toned down in ME2, but almost too much.