Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
Hardcore_gamer said:
Odd, i thought this was suppose to be like the game of year or something, does he hate every major mainstream tittle?
Where have you been the past two years?

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity.
You are of course talking about a man who called his viewrs/readers shit, stupid and gave out punishment for not playing certain games?
Not that such things even matter because journalistic integrity is not consistency. Not liking Mass Effect does not require him to dislike Dragon Age.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Knight Templar said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
If Yahtzee likes Dragon Age it'll prove his lack of any actual journalistic integrity.
You are of course talking about a man who called his viewrs/readers shit, stupid and gave out punishment for not playing certain games?
Not that such things even matter because journalistic integrity is not consistency. Not liking Mass Effect does not require him to dislike Dragon Age.
No I suppose it doesn't, but certain complaints regarding Mass Effect, like I explained in the portion of my comment that you cut out, can be made of Dragons Age as well. It may just serve as an immense point of inconsistency in Yahtzee's "reviews," which is exactly what I'm getting at. He's a comedian, not an actual reviewer, stop pretending he is one. A balanced reviewing technique at least requires that you maintain a constant standard.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
judas-savior said:
Considering Yahtzee is a British born Australian, I'm surprised he didn't pick up that Claudia was Australian, both her Character and the Actress. ;)
I knew Claudia Black was Australian, but I honestly didn't think Chloe was. She always sounded mostly British, and considering she was hanging around with Flynn, I just assumed she was British too. It just never clicked. Go figure. Hooray, I suppose, for Aussie game voice-over artists!

I love Uncharted 2; nothing Yahtzee says can make me think otherwise. For everyone here who's getting all fanboy-ey; don't. Yahtzee's reviews do a sufficient job of picking out the minor flaws of the game, however insignificant, to inform you of what to look out for. Short of that, his reviews only cover a small part of what makes up the game, and even then only to a limited degree. Don't take it so seriously.

All you need to take from this review is that Uncharted 2 isn't particularly innovative. Whatever, it's still a blast from start to finish. Laugh at the review, consider whether or not you'd mind having your experience tarnished by something less than revolutionary, and the go buy the game.

And I loved that damned zero gravity cheat, it was hilarious.

St1gar

Feb 28, 2008
Wow. Gotta love all the pissy people here who found him denouncing their game, and how their little minds immediately hop into self-defense mode, forcing them to post wonderful things like "Remember, folks - he's not a REAL reviewer like the people from Gamespot! He's a comedian!" Wow. Just... wow.

But you know what really, really grinds me about this? That something just tells me that at least 60-70% of the people who chooses to dismiss his opinion and tries encouraging others to do the same would not have done so if he had ragged on a game they too didn't like. Then, he's not "just a comedian" anymore, but a genius that we should all agree with.

Ugh.

90% of all good games are mainstream.
Bull. Shit.

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
I thought it was great, as always. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but hopefully I will. Probably just be a rental though. And I think Yahtzee is a great reviewer. I have never once found one of his reviews to be un-true. And he's bashed alot of games I like, and I still thought the video was hilarious, because he's right. Only emotional unstable retards who get their justification in life from a video game could defend their games with the blind devotion they do. Face it kiddies, not everyone will like your game. Get over it.

And Gamespot? Really? In what universe is Gamespot a good barometer of games? And their video reviews are supernaturally painful to watch.

shonk

Jun 8, 2009
I have to laugh at the amount of people that care wether he is actually a proper reviewer or a comedian... or a cockroach dressed as a Korean poltical leader, but personally i dont care, the 3 or 4 minutes i spend watching his review keeps from being bored. Then afterwards i start the wait for things i like that come out on thursdays. But to do with the game i remember watching someone trying to play it and i wasnt playing close attention so they could have just sucked but they had to go through one section 4 or 5 times, now personally i dont think that should really have to happen unless its something like the final boss. Its the kind of thing that irritates me more than the bastards with machine guns in mirrors edge...

Corkydog

Aug 16, 2009
St1gar said:
Wow. Gotta love all the pissy people here who found him denouncing their game, and how their little minds immediately hop into self-defense mode, forcing them to post wonderful things like "Remember, folks - he's not a REAL reviewer like the people from Gamespot! He's a comedian!" Wow. Just... wow.

But you know what really, really grinds me about this? That something just tells me that at least 60-70% of the people who chooses to dismiss his opinion and tries encouraging others to do the same would not have done so if he had ragged on a game they too didn't like. Then, he's not "just a comedian" anymore, but a genius that we should all agree with.

Ugh.

90% of all good games are mainstream.
Bull. Shit.
Well, personally, I never took his views on games he didn't like too seriously, because I found he would get tied up with the little things, and forget to have fun wit the game. So if he rips a game apart, I still check it out, and more often than not its a good game. And if Yahtzee likes a game, then I definitely check it out, because it's a guarenteed good time.

So to close, I love Uncharted 2 (and original). Yahtzee exaggerated a lot of the small issues, and people are mad because he made it seem a lot worse than it is, and some people take him way too seriously. It is a solid, polished, damn good game, probably the best I've played all year (due to low budget).

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
PedroSteckecilo said:
It may just serve as an immense point of inconsistency in Yahtzee's "reviews," which is exactly what I'm getting at. He's a comedian, not an actual reviewer, stop pretending he is one.
I must ask you why Zero Punctuation is not a review. Why, because it entertains? Because in it he (Yahtzee) highlights some aspects (the negitive) more than others? A critic Yahtzee may be but that doesn't stop his work from being a review.

A balanced reviewing technique at least requires that you maintain a constant standard.
What do you mean by "balanced reviewing technique", do you mean he must mention both the good and the bad?

What happens if he does enjoy the game? Must he tell people that he hates the game when in fact he does not? People do not have to feel one way about two things, it doesn't matter what aspects they have in common, they are still diffrent.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
I wonder is he going to review New Super Mario Bros. Wii. According to wikipedia, it's first released in Australia, today.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
James Cassidy said:
Fox242 said:
The part about the noogies and the homoerotic terror was sheer brilliance. While it made me laugh, I can't help but keep wondering whether Yahtzee is just being a dick with some of his reviews because Uncharted 2 is an absolute gem. But then again, that is probably why we keep coming back every Wednesday to see what crazy shit he has to say next. Keep up the good work.
Absolute gem to some, but not to all.

You know what bothers me the most out of it all. Every PS3 fanboy always says that every game should have the graphics Uncharted has every time a new games comes out and it is really starting to get to me about that.

Did people lose the concept of "Style" lately? It's like me saying that Michelangelo would be a better artist if he used the same talent as Da Vinci.
I never said that all games should have the graphics of Uncharted 2. And I'm not a PS3 fan boy, I will readily admit that the PS3 has its issues and flaws like any decent video gamer should. But I do believe Uncharted 2 is a gem and is easily one of the best PS3 exclusive games. And what's this about style? How did that come about? I was only just saying that Yahtzee does tend to find tiny problems in good games and blow them out of proportion. But I should have realized that he is merely a fast talking and cynical British comedian. There's really no rhyme or reason to arguing with what he says.

Woem

May 28, 2009
MasterMayhem117 said:
I saw Dragon Age!!! Can't wait for that review. Game looks amazing, haven't played it yet though... Crappy $60 a game.. Not that I should be complaining, $100 for Yahtzee is much worse lol Although, Escapist probably foots that bill... Maybe I could get them to foot mine.. Hey Yahtzee, How bout we team up and review games together over xbox live... Wait, hates all smugness that is not his own.. Fuck..
I also have a feeling Dragon Ago might be the next review :)

Alex_Mexico

Oct 22, 2009
you really need to bash almost EVERY game, Yahtzee?

Uncharted 2 is an excellent game. Yes Uncharted 2 is the sum of many parts but the result is such an amazing, compelling, and especially FUN game that none of that matters.

Also, until the Indiana Jones franchise gets a game half as good as Uncharted 2 you shan't call uncharted a Indy rip-off.

Taliel

Oct 31, 2009
judas-savior said:
Considering Yahtzee is a British born Australian, I'm surprised he didn't pick up that Claudia was Australian, both her Character and the Actress. ;)

It's ok Ben, we all make mistakes sometimes. Although the only reason I guessed it was because I'm quite familiar Claudia Black and her work, and like most Aussies, just keeping track of the few awesome stars we actually have.
Damn, you beat me to it! If a Brit living in Australia can't tell the difference, noone can ;)

I'm glad Yahtzee mentioned the stupid ledges in this game... I hated how you could be surrounded with seeminly climbable objects, but yet only have one allowed path to get to your objective.