Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Joa_Belgium

Aug 29, 2009
The game may not add anything new, but it still is a very good game. Cinematic with epic set pieces and a story that doesn't go too far or hover too long over the same spot.

It's one of the best games that the PS3 has to offer. I can't really agree with Yahtzee on this one, he's way off the mark. Then again, when isn't he?

haruvister

Jun 4, 2008
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
name me a game from the past 3 years that has.
Left 4 Dead. Still feels spanking new a year on.

Anyway, I don't give a shit about innovation if the experience is satisfying. But Uncharted 1 and 2 felt to me like interactive tech demos to impress your friends. I want gamplay, damn it! If I wanted interactive movies I'd buy a 3DO.

Jun 30, 2009
stiver said:
Man definitely going to skip this.
Good looking games have never been the reason to get it. Bad gameplay is best avoided.

boring concepts.
You're honestly using Zero Punctuation as a means to judge gameplay? You haven't seen any of the other reviews or any gameplay have you?

Yahtzee is overcritical. He's hilarious, and that's what the videos are made for, if you use it as a source of an unbiased review you're doing it all wrong...

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Does this mean next week he will be reviewing Dragon Age origins?

I hope so because it is allways a better video when it's about a game I like, even if he is trashing it most of the time.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Yatzee will review Dragon Age? He probably won't finish 20 % of it even. Wonder how he will take the game actually. He'll probably murder the gameplay, but I wonder if the story works for him.

Jun 30, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
Holy crap, a ZP without that annoying news ad tacked on at the end. Also, thumbs up as always. Personally I don't care for indiana jones clones (never played a Tomb Raider either) so everyone saying its the best thing ever doesn't mean anything to me. Nice to know its a bunch of meh with superior graphics like the majority of games out there.
Ya nice to know from Yahtzee who hated the game before he started playing.... lol

Listen folks, at the end he even said it wasn't a bad game, just forgettable. If YAHTZEE says a game ISN'T BAD, it's probably worth playing.

Twilightruler

Jul 3, 2009
Interesting to see someone rag on this game since companies and reviewers seem to be beating this game to death with game of the year recommendations...Personally, doesn't look all too great to me, certainly nothing new. But then again, if halo and COD has shown us anything, it's that doing nothing/very little new sells much better than doing something original.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
haruvister said:
Left 4 Dead. Still feels spanking new a year on.
yzzlthtz said:
Demon's Souls!!! Demon's Souls!!! For the love of all your failed gods, Demon's Souls!!!
Can't vouch for Demon Souls, as I have never played it. Looks fun, though.

Left 4 Dead I can agree with.

Jun 30, 2009
dbrose said:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.
He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.

LostintheWick

Sep 29, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
Wickerton said:
Casual Shinji said:
Carnagath said:
That was quite a forced bashing, and felt like it too. Yeah, it's a pop corn game in the same sense that Aliens is a pop corn action movie, but they are both classics in their own field. This game is the most fun ride I've had with an action game since...well, I can't even remember, and it does deserve all the praise it's getting in my opinion.
Apparently it doesn't matter if you enjoy the game.

Mr. Reviewer has spoken and his herd of blind followers hoot and squeek in agreement.
OR... the "herd" actually agrees. I know I do. Good game (it deserves its praise), but it has its flaws like any other title. Mr. Reviewer says just that, but in a louder and more entertaining fashion.

Ultimately, ANYTHING can get picked apart if you just try.
I haven't actually seen the review, because for some strange reason I can't play the videos on this site anymore.

If Mr. Reviewer (I can't say his name, I just can't. I'm sorry, it's a childhood thing.) doesn't like the game then he doesn't like the game. But I get a little annoyed when his grotesque fanbase crawls out of the woodwork and starts chanting: ZP says it's baaaaaaaaad, so it's baaaaaaaaad. For me Zero Punctuation is slowly becoming "one of those things ruined by the fans".
LOL... Yeah. I totally know what you mean.

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
insertclevernamehere said:
ItsAPaul said:
Holy crap, a ZP without that annoying news ad tacked on at the end. Also, thumbs up as always. Personally I don't care for indiana jones clones (never played a Tomb Raider either) so everyone saying its the best thing ever doesn't mean anything to me. Nice to know its a bunch of meh with superior graphics like the majority of games out there.
Ya nice to know from Yahtzee who hated the game before he started playing.... lol

Listen folks, at the end he even said it wasn't a bad game, just forgettable. If YAHTZEE says a game ISN'T BAD, it's probably worth playing.
Forgettable? Jesus this is the most hyped of the season. Btw you're supposed to take yahtze's reviews with a grain of salt.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
Glad to see he's not drooling all over it like the rest of the world.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Well, that was good fun. What he didn't say is that instead of fixing the wall-sticking, the developers could have just made all the enemies stuck to the wall as well. Then they could have simplified the climbing by putting the climbing points on the edge of the wall so it's easy to find. This actually solves plenty of problems because making the entire game 2D would have made all their attempts to change it void and made it into a redo with new gameplay instead of just a redo. (Wow, I usually don't rant like this. . . )

I did like the little Dragon Age hint at the end. Hopefully he'll review it soon (not next week, he would have to give up all other aspects of his life to finish it in that time)

Chaotic Neutral

Oct 7, 2009
Eclectic Dreck said:
For those that actually desperately seek story, dynamic characters and the rest of the things that people often point out as being wrong in a game that is generally loved by the masses, I have to say perhaps you need to invest your time in another medium. There will be a day eventually when people who tell good stories will successfuly interact with people who make fun games, but thus far such a marriage has generally been unsuccessful.
Since the definition of "fun" is pretty subjective, I can't outright say you're wrong, but as one of the desperate story seekers mentioned, I've found quite a few games which have a good story and are also what I consider fun. The Silent Hill series (barring Origins and Homecoming, which I haven't played), Persona 3 and 4, Final Fantasy Tactics (old as hell, but still one of my favorite games of all time), Killer7 and No More Heroes, Metal Gear prior to the slow-motion train wreck that was MGS4... I could go on, but I've already admitted that the list is subjective, so there's not much point in digging through my whole collection. And there are countless games where one side of the story/gameplay divide is excellent and the other isn't perfect, but still does the job.

The point I'm trying to make is that there are plenty of games where one doesn't have to sacrifice story, atmosphere, and all that for fun. Having both is doable. So saying "it's a game" isn't an excuse, and the more developers get that through their heads, the better gaming will become, both as entertainment and an art form.

On topic, I wasn't planning to get Uncharted 2 anyway, because I'm not a big fan of the Indiana Jones-esque adventure-archeology platformer subgenre, and no matter how good an example of that sort of thing is is, there are still other things I'd rather be playing. This review among others have confirmed that yeah, that's what it is, I can skip it. It's totally possible to share an opinion with Yahtzee without being part of a herd, contrary to what some people seem to believe.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
insertclevernamehere said:
dbrose said:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.
He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.
I hardly think Yahtzee is unbiased--far from it! I simply find that I agree with a majority of his statements and thus am more inclined to agree with him. That being said, I do have a mind of my own--I actually liked the third Thief game better than the first two, and I do enjoy a number of JRPGs; I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and usually agree with them, but I always go with my own gut feeling in the end as to whether or not I should spend money on a game.