Zero Punctuation: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
"Has an entire potato on his shoulder" funniest part of the review, kinda. I had to keep pausing and apparently my memory is that bad.

cabaray

Nov 11, 2009
Yahtzee, why i wonder, is it a bad thing to be a "indiana jonesy" game? I understand you rip on the other stuff like gameplay, but this way you make it look like going into this genre is frowned upon, because there is already a thing like "tomb raider". This way its impossible to make a game about ancient treasure hunting because there is a chance of comparison. Not to mention indiana jones being a movie and the other a game, and the movie being a bit old to. Can't make any love stories anymore, Shakespeare did some, to give an example.

When is looking like something else a bad thing?

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
dbrose said:
insertclevernamehere said:
dbrose said:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.
He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.
I hardly think Yahtzee is unbiased--far from it! I simply find that I agree with a majority of his statements and thus am more inclined to agree with him. That being said, I do have a mind of my own--I actually liked the third Thief game better than the first two, and I do enjoy a number of JRPGs; I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and usually agree with them, but I always go with my own gut feeling in the end as to whether or not I should spend money on a game.
He's not unbiased, he's just super picky.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
Mr.Lucifer said:
dbrose said:
insertclevernamehere said:
dbrose said:
Considering how much Yahtzee disliked the first game in the series, and sequels in general, I'm surprised he reviewed Uncharted 2. I guess he must not have finished Dragon Age yet or something.

Oh well--it was funny and concise, and gave me fair cause to avoid it.
He didn't dislike the first one, he said the gameplay was all good it was just unoriginal. More than he says for most games.

Ugh after 3 (maybe 4) posts I realize that there are more idiots who think Yahtzee is a good person to get an unbiased review, and if he says it's bad it's bad than I can deal with. Enjoy missing a lot of quality gaming because you listen to a funny man and take everything he says seriously and acknowledge it as the end all truth.
I hardly think Yahtzee is unbiased--far from it! I simply find that I agree with a majority of his statements and thus am more inclined to agree with him. That being said, I do have a mind of my own--I actually liked the third Thief game better than the first two, and I do enjoy a number of JRPGs; I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews and usually agree with them, but I always go with my own gut feeling in the end as to whether or not I should spend money on a game.
He's not unbiased, he's just super picky.
This is true.

Fox242

El Zorro Cauto
Nov 9, 2009
The part about the noogies and the homoerotic terror was sheer brilliance. While it made me laugh, I can't help but keep wondering whether Yahtzee is just being a dick with some of his reviews because Uncharted 2 is an absolute gem. But then again, that is probably why we keep coming back every Wednesday to see what crazy shit he has to say next. Keep up the good work.

James Cassidy

Dec 4, 2008
Fox242 said:
The part about the noogies and the homoerotic terror was sheer brilliance. While it made me laugh, I can't help but keep wondering whether Yahtzee is just being a dick with some of his reviews because Uncharted 2 is an absolute gem. But then again, that is probably why we keep coming back every Wednesday to see what crazy shit he has to say next. Keep up the good work.
Absolute gem to some, but not to all.

You know what bothers me the most out of it all. Every PS3 fanboy always says that every game should have the graphics Uncharted has every time a new games comes out and it is really starting to get to me about that.

Did people lose the concept of "Style" lately? It's like me saying that Michelangelo would be a better artist if he used the same talent as Da Vinci.

infinisynth

The man
Jul 31, 2009
Brilliant review. Best in a while. Exactly what I expected you to say Yahtzee. Uncharted 2 is a game for simple minded folk that like pretty stuff and don't want to be challenged. Straight up mainstream crap.

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
infinisynth said:
Brilliant review. Best in a while. Exactly what I expected you to say Yahtzee. Uncharted 2 is a game for simple minded folk that like pretty stuff and don't want to be challenged. Straight up mainstream crap.
No, its a actual good game. 90% of all good games are mainstream. the obscure good stuff are usually JRPGs and tim scafner. Its like yahtzee says, things are usually mainstream because they're good or has will smith in it.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
PedroSteckecilo said:
Acidwell said:
The one thing i will say is how did he not see what he was to jump to? He gives out to gamers for being stupid and needing neon flashing lights telling them what to do, then when he gets a game that does it subtly he says that it isn't obvious enough for him.
The answer is that Yahtzee is a hypocrite... sort of... maybe it's more like he has an extremely short memory. He doesn't have a LOT of consistency between reviews and something that is BAD in one game might be GOOD in another, or might go unnoticed all together. But that doesn't really matter, half of us will love the fact that he insulted something popular, the other half will be annoyed that he insulted something we liked. I've fallen on both sides on multiple occasions.

I know exactly where you're coming from. Consistency definitely isn't Yahtzee's strong point. For example he counted good visuals as a plus for Prince of Persia but now seems to be largely dismissing them with Uncharted 2. Also in his review for the first Uncharted he went out of his way to suggest that developers not throw in quick time events randomly if they must use them. Evidently the people at Naughty Dog took his advice and now Uncharted 2, unlike it's predecessor, has no random quick time events. But does he give Uncharted 2 any credit for it? Nope. It all really seems to reek of bias. There are other examples I could name but I think the point has been made. I guess I too will be looking forward to his Dragon Age: Origins review.

Mr.Lucifer

Nov 1, 2009
The best thing is if you disagree with yahtzee, is to not take him seriously and watch him for comedic value.

khululy

Aug 17, 2008
ziggybogidou said:
So DA: origins next week?
or borderlands?
Maybe *gasp* MW2?

I doubt it, good isn't funny.

No offence:
Besides being pretty MW2 is just another shooter Borderlands has it's very own style and dragon age is a very immersive fantasy rpg that is just different from most of the tolkienesque rpgs.
Kinda like The Witcher it has a more believable fantasy world one that isn't a world of good looking set pieces with cartboard cutouts for characters. (well The witcher had pretty stiff character animation in dialogue but as for the story it is just wonderful.)
I think the whole hype around MW2 is not deserved but maybe it's because I don't really like "realistic" shooters.

AntiPseudonym

Nov 12, 2009
I seriously have no idea what he was talking about with the walls, I mean you've got to press a damned button to go into cover! I never had to deal with the auto-sticking stuff.

Still, Yahtzee goes on about how games these days are made stupid for the masses and while simultaneously removing any positive input from his reviews because 'people find anger more funny'. Check out the difference between the UC1 and UC2 reviews; at least he mentioned a FEW things he liked in the first one. Now he's plainfacedly stated that he only mentions things he hates, it's made his reviews go from 'interesting with witty comedy' to a bunch of dick jokes and shitting on everything. Add in at least 5 instances of 'It's like a [noun] [verb]ed in [bodily secretion]' and you have yourself some pretty damn low-hanging comedy.

Yeah yeah yeah, I shouldn't be taking these as serious reviews and all that, but it just felt like I could actually take away something from his older reviews than random insults. Like action with no story, comedy with no intellect can be enjoyed now and again but really grates quickly.

And what the hell is he talking about with Drake being smug? I've always thought he was one of the least self-assured characters I've seen as of late, mainly because everything keeps going to hell whenever he gets involved and he recognizes this. Can someone explain what I'm missing here? That really does seem like the polar opposite of 'smug'.

RTR

Mar 22, 2008
i don't know why but I laughed so hard when he said "killing more foreigners than malaria."

Soullegend

Oct 29, 2008
I dont think I've ever heard someone say so much without ever saying anything meaningful - maybe Yahtzee should go into politics...

judas-savior

Nov 12, 2009
Considering Yahtzee is a British born Australian, I'm surprised he didn't pick up that Claudia was Australian, both her Character and the Actress. ;)

It's ok Ben, we all make mistakes sometimes. Although the only reason I guessed it was because I'm quite familiar Claudia Black and her work, and like most Aussies, just keeping track of the few awesome stars we actually have.

I agree with what he said, but no matter how much you want to pick at it and make criticisms, it's still possibly the most fun I've had playing a game this year. Generic, cliche but still fucking awesome and fun is what games are all about at the end of the day.

littlequietguy

Apr 15, 2009
I have to admit I had a hard time laughing. I guess disliking a game doesn't mean you will automatically enjoy criticism of it. It is accurate however and I'll take what I can get.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
"And I, one Stout by name, present a wwwwwwwwwwall. And such a wwwwwwwwwall as I would have you think, had in it a crannied hole or *****..."
I had to give that line in drama class in High School and for some reason it's stuck with me.
IDK, this video felt a bit rushed, which I suppose is understandable considering the circumstances. Still kinda funny though.

FadingKite

Nov 12, 2009
although the game may not be worth buying it is worth a play through
rent it the story was really good
and overall i enjoyed it