Zero Punctuation: Walking Dead

Hexenwolf

Sep 25, 2008
Haven't read the series or seen the show, but everyone keeps saying it's good. I might actually check the game out first, just to see if I like the world.

Shiftygiant

Apr 12, 2011
I would like to see how it pans out, my expectations being that everyone will die like in the other media for the Walking Dead.

lwm3398

Apr 15, 2009
Hexenwolf said:
Haven't read the series or seen the show, but everyone keeps saying it's good. I might actually check the game out first, just to see if I like the world.
You'd probably be better off starting with the show. From what was said in this review, one's sense of the world is pretty different between the game and the TV series. And the TV series seems pretty close to the graphic novels, so it might be to your advantage if you watch the show/read the series first.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Since we are on the Zombie Apocalypse, I wonder what Yahtzee would think about Day Z?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mZRzSEu5d8

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I saw the ending in Episode 2 coming a mile away. Still good despite it's predictability.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.

Angry Camel

Mar 21, 2011
Haven't played any point 'n' click adventure games for a while (last one was Yahtzee's Chzo Mythos last year, maybe there's a connection). Looks interesting enough to get me back into it, though.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
lwm3398 said:
Hexenwolf said:
You'd probably be better off starting with the show. From what was said in this review, one's sense of the world is pretty different between the game and the TV series. And the TV series seems pretty close to the graphic novels, so it might be to your advantage if you watch the show/read the series first.
If by pretty close you mean that half the characters in the show are alive when they shouldn't be, and the other half has gone off in a completely different direction than the comic took them, yeah, I guess the show is pretty close to the comic.

Sometimes I can be pretty lenient with less than faithful adaptations(the Scott Pilgrim movie comes to mind), but The Walking Dead show just pisses me off.

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
Anyone else find it interesting that he called the vat of chlorine half-full instead of half-empty?

paislyabmj

Mar 25, 2012
Baldr said:
Since we are on the Zombie Apocalypse, I wonder what Yahtzee would think about Day Z?
A multi player only zombie apocalypse mod based on a modern military engine with a focus on realism . Probably not his type of thing.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
He does have a point, how is a zombie apocalypse supposed to end? 28 Days Later had all the rage-zombies starve to death and it turns out the infection was contained in England so we get zombies dead, the English/Scottish/Welsh killed, and free real estate. Um, yay?

And then sequels started appearing. Oh joy.

I for one have always hated George Romero's ZA endings. They're always weird downers or apathetic "shrugs and leaves" endings. The first movie was arguably the best with the implication that even though the zombies are tearing down doors and killing everyone at least they aren't pointlessly cruel or sadistic about it. Which makes a huge amount of difference. Somehow. I mean humans are fighting for their survival so getting brutal about it would seem perfect validated. If aliens invaded and started wiping us out to use our toothpaste as recreational drugs we'd all feel pretty fucking good about watching one get curbed stomped, wouldn't we?

But by Land of the Dead it's gotten just snoreworthy. One of the last surviving cities of the living is overrun by zombies and not only are we meant to not care about the fate of the humans trapped within but we're supposed to somehow cheer for the fucking zombies because one of them retains enough memory to make shit even worse for humanity? And the heroes steal the only means of defeating the invasion to watch everyone die from the sidelines and they all just feel good about it for some arbitrary psychopathic reason? Acting like "hey, the last dicks on the planet are dead now! Free sailing for us! Let's go to Canada!"

Um, no. You're not getting into Canada. Y'see the last remaining dicks on the planet are not dead: by letting your city get turned into the zombie buffet YOU are officially the biggest dicks on earth. And since Canada will easily survive the zombie apocalypse thanks to our winter season and, you know, NOT being dicks to each other, we'll have plenty of border patrols and snipers ready to pick you off the moment you approach the wall we built to keep your douchebaggy sods out. That's right, we built a wall to keep you out. The irony is so thick you can use it as sandwich bread. Enjoy recycling your own urine.

Sorry, I blacked out for a moment there, what were we talking about? Oh right. And that's why Steam is better than Origin.

OniaPL

Nov 9, 2010
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Assassin Xaero said:
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.

Well that character apparently is dead by the time the comic book starts but I guess it affects your relationship with his father.

Slothboy

Mar 26, 2008
"There are things you can pick up and rub on other things in the hopes that they will mate and give birth to progress."

Brilliant

Arc Light

Jul 3, 2012
paislyabmj said:
Baldr said:
A multi player only zombie apocalypse mod based on a modern military engine with a focus on realism . Probably not his type of thing.
Day Z does seem to offer something Yahtzee has been asking for for a while now: a plausible survivor game (zombies aside!), in which you've got to scavenge for resources, food, etc. in order to stay alive.

Plus, the convenient alliances which form between players - and the inevitable backstabbing that goes with them - would probably provide a neat confirmation of his cynical worldview...