Zero Punctuation: Walking Dead

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Jorec said:
lord.jeff said:
Sounds like the staff was to lazy or to pressed to be able to make that a meaningful decision.
No, that character was dead by the time the comic starts and this game takes place in the comic's canon. I assume the reason they gave you a choice was to affect the attitude of his father towards the main character.
Still a turn off for me, this game sounded like it'd be perfect for having a flexible narrative but it ruins that because it has to tie in with the other story. Why even make it a choice then?
You've got me there. Like I said choosing the older son will have his dad be nicer to you when you leave the farm. Maybe if you return there later on it'll come into affect then? Honestly I don't know.

Edit: Also I don't think this ties into the comic's story very much. Its in the same universe as the comic, but its kind of doing its own thing as far as I know. I guess they just wanted to explain how he died is all.

V TheSystem V

Sep 11, 2009
OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
I killed Larry, never liked him for slagging off Lee, who is a nice guy in my story. Lee only kills him to save the rest!

idodo35

Jun 3, 2010
show was crap
comics siries is awsome (just reached issue 100!)
and the reason u dont care to see what next is probably cause u dont care about the tv/comic siries
you see some of these characters (the bossy chick whos fathers head u smash, that guy glenn and hershel and his family on the farm) apear later in the comics and show and for me its interesting to see how they got there
and yea the gameplay is rather weak but its ok its telltale the gameplay is not as important as the story...

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Assassin Xaero said:
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.
yeahhhh it's not that I hate children, but a dimwitted kid just seemed to have a lower survival rating than a very competent dude. unfortunately that's one case where it was like an oh poop decision

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Episode 2 had better decision points yes though the ending was incredibly predictable lol

still, in this vein of progress, episode 3 should be pretty sweet :]

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Yahtzee has a point. I mean, really, how would you imagine the end of a zombie apocalypse? Most likely everyone alive dies either to famine, disease, accidents, survivor infighting or, you know, getting chomped on by the undead. The zombies, being already dead and all, will just slowly rot away and all that remains in a desolate wasteland slowly being claimed back by nature.

Waaghpowa said:
I saw the ending in Episode 2 coming a mile away. Still good despite it's predictability.
Yes, it was quite obvious. Secluded farm, creepy, weirdly hospitable redneck family and a locked barn...
OF COURSE they are cannibals!

And yes, as Yahtzee said, it's quite obvious an evil military/mercenary/bandit band will make an appearance.

Also, they will most likely find:
- an isolated, weirdly too perfect (almost utopistic) camp or town with a dark secret. (That could be Ep. 2)
- a doctor who claims he has the cure, but it will either turn out to be a dud or he will die just before finishing it.
- another band of survivors mostly equal in size, demography and equipment, that they will get along well in the beginning but things will soon deteriorate, escalate and they will face them in open battle in the end. They will lose people, but also gain some new members left over from the other group.
- A lonely hermit, most likely a gun nut, living in a secluded shack or bunker with a large stockpile of food, equipment and weapons and refuses to share. (You know, the kind who everyone laughed at when they prepared for the apocalypse and when it did come, he gets to say "I told you so!".) The group is tired, out of food, ammo and equipment and when diplomacy fails they start infighting about either turning bandits themselves and stealing his stuff (possibly killing him in the process) or sticking to their morals in a world clearly devoid of any.

The game follows all the established and (over)used clichés, set-pieces and tropes of post-apocalyptic stories to the letter. The characters are clean cut stereotypes in the verge of becoming caricatures of themselves and the story is strictly railroaded with only the illusion of freedom of choice, although only a few people realized this yet. The game manipulates you into choosing the option they want you to choose, and if you still defy their power, they flat out force you back on track.
in EP1 if you choose the boy, the boy lives and the guy dies. If you do choose the guy instead, the boy still lives and the guy still dies, only little later.
Also, most of the other choices presented as "important" by the game are totally meaningless and have no effect on the flow of the main story in any way save for a few different dialog lines.
For example you cannot save the suicidal girl, you cannot save the hulky old guy, you cannot save the teacher from the bear trap, you cannot choose to leave with the family to the coast and you cannot choose NOT to go the ranch and eat their "food", etc.

BUT, (and this is a huge, fat BUT) the composition, the animation, the voice-over and atmosphere is so well made, you'll forget all that and get immersed in the story. Clichés, set-pieces and tropes are (over)used for a reason: in the good hands THEY WORK! And I do want to see how the story continues, even though I can most probably guess it myself. ^_^

SangRahl

Feb 11, 2009
My mind was taken over by a Black Books flashback...
"And they ALL drank LEMONADE... The End!"

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I played it and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I read both the comics and saw the series(thus far) and looking forward to see where the next episodes will lead.

I heartily recommend it.

Arkvoodle

Dec 4, 2008
Was Yahtzee trash-talking the end of "I Am Legend" in that last line?

If so, well done.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
I completely agree. The characters in this game that force you to make choices really only want a yesman. They make it like they just want you at their back, but fuck 'em. Disagree once, especially in an instance where their side is really fucking inhuman, and they act like you've betrayed them.

Other than that, the game is quite good, but it does hamper the fun when you realize in the long term that your choices don't matter in the end:

Save the kid or the guy from walkers? Doesn't matter. The guy dies no matter what, and the kid's dad just grabs him like nothing.

Save the guy by chopping his leg off or let him die? Dies from blood loss anyway.

Try to resuscitate a man who's heart has stopped or crush his head with a brick before he dies and comes back as a walker? Your buddy does the dirty deed while your doing CPR, so whether he was going to die or not is irrelevant.

The only game changing choice was made when you had to save one of two characters, and this time whoever you choose is the one to live and the other dies. From then on, that character has your back, which was pretty awesome in a lot of tough spots in the second episode.

Gilhelmi said:
Part of my long-term survival plan is too rebuild society. I am even planing on building a library 25 years into the apocalypse, sooner if the political and military situation permits.

I am working on a short-term (1-5 years post) mid-term (6-15 years post) and long-term (16+ years post).

So ya, I would enjoy a Zombie game where I got too rebuild society.
http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

The game has different multiple endings depending on your choices, one of which is writing up a new constitution and creating a new government. Another is actually finding a cure to the outbreak. Getting one ending doesn't ever end the game, so you can potentially get all of them.

Enjoy.
Muhhh ahhh, I enjoyed the trailer TY.

I may be getting that game in the near future.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Sure does seem to be a lot of forced effectual moments in gaming this summer. Odd. Someone should look into that.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
I didn't feed Larry either. First of all,
dude tried to kill me in the last episode, fuck him
and as pointed out in the review, no matter what you do he yells at you anyway. Screw Larry.

OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
I killed Larry too. Like you said, it's the logical choice, and he's a massive asshole who tried to kill me previously. I really don't want a guy who already tried to kill me once around anymore, especially not at the expense of ruining a good relationship with a helpful survivor.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I don't like TellTale games. I was only mildly interested in their BTTF games, and only because I'm a fan of BTTF.
And I'm not really a fan of The Walking Dead.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
Gilhelmi said:
Muhhh ahhh, I enjoyed the trailer TY.

I may be getting that game in the near future.
Trailer? That's the link to the game itself. It's a free online flash game. I play it all the time.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
lwm3398 said:
Hexenwolf said:
Haven't read the series or seen the show, but everyone keeps saying it's good. I might actually check the game out first, just to see if I like the world.
You'd probably be better off starting with the show. From what was said in this review, one's sense of the world is pretty different between the game and the TV series. And the TV series seems pretty close to the graphic novels, so it might be to your advantage if you watch the show/read the series first.
If by pretty close you mean that half the characters in the show are alive when they shouldn't be, and the other half has gone off in a completely different direction than the comic took them, yeah, I guess the show is pretty close to the comic.

Sometimes I can be pretty lenient with less than faithful adaptations(the Scott Pilgrim movie comes to mind), but The Walking Dead show just pisses me off.
I believe the Creator of the comics said he doesn't want the show to follow the comics exactly. He says that makes it really predictable for followers of the comics when they might as well be following the comics. By not making it a perfect adaptation (The creator of the comics is heavily involved with the show so everything happens when he says so) it means the show becomes very unpredictable like with how Shane and Dale's fates are much different then the comics.

OT: On the subject of some of choices, most of them are just to establish relationships with characters. There are minor difference now but I wouldn't be surprised if later episodes have big differences depending on who's loyal to you.

Like at the end of episode 2 during the two fights with the farmboys, The person you supported so far through the game will come to your aid during the fights. If you have been against Lily the whole time she doesn't do the dramatic save at the end and leaves you to die.
Not much now but I'm hoping for something more later on. Especially since there's rumors that the next episode is taking place in Woodbury. We all know what's gonna happen there.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I laughed so hard when Yahtzee "[the child] will be a lot more tender and palatable, umnomnomnomnomnom!", I literally almost passed out... It felt like I was on the verge of laughing to death, and I loved every second of it.

Also, you can still write about John de Lancie's career without your "Q" key. After all, there's no "Q" in Discod... yet.

Grahav

Mar 13, 2009
It is sad that Yahtzee and other people would have liked the game more if the genre wasn't so explored.