Zero Punctuation: Walking Dead

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
lwm3398 said:
Hexenwolf said:
Haven't read the series or seen the show, but everyone keeps saying it's good. I might actually check the game out first, just to see if I like the world.
You'd probably be better off starting with the show. From what was said in this review, one's sense of the world is pretty different between the game and the TV series. And the TV series seems pretty close to the graphic novels, so it might be to your advantage if you watch the show/read the series first.
If by pretty close you mean that half the characters in the show are alive when they shouldn't be, and the other half has gone off in a completely different direction than the comic took them, yeah, I guess the show is pretty close to the comic.

Sometimes I can be pretty lenient with less than faithful adaptations(the Scott Pilgrim movie comes to mind), but The Walking Dead show just pisses me off.
Personally I prefer Walking Dears adaptation style. I know what happens in the comics already. Doing something completely different in the show lets me think about characters from a different angle. Also, I know that what happens to Lori in the next season isn't certain, which greatly adds to the tension that would be missing were it a strict adaptation. Besides, the comic creators are on board, and some of the characters that survived longer in the show did so because they needed to do the plot point of that persons death before they were canceled. Once they had a TV show, they were more comfortable letting that character stick around an exploring an opportunity they missed in the comic.

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
You know in Walking Dead, I believe that they could rebuild society. I mean sure, it hasn't worked yet but it only has to stick once. Can you grow lemon trees in the Walking Dead setting?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
trollpwner said:
John De lancie's acting career? I think there's a lot you could write about without a Q in it, hmmm, hmmm?

Anyway, how bad was the adventure game era, anyway? Being about 4 at the height of the adventure game era, I've got no real idea. Although having seen some of Yahtzee's L.P.'s a lot of what he's saying seems accurate.
Well, without a working 'Q' key, Yahtzee can't write about the guy who builds James Bond's gadgets. As to your question about Adventure games, I only played the LucasArts ones, and they required a LOT of exploration, trial-and-error puzzle solving, and menu-based conversations. I would often say just the right thing to start a fight, to make something cool happen. If it was a Tim Schafer creation, hilarity would ensue.

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
You're not alone. And then I had to deal with the fallout. By the way, did Kenny seem a little... Crazy in episode 2 to you?

Durgiun

Dec 25, 2008
Xanadu84 said:
You know in Walking Dead, I believe that they could rebuild society. I mean sure, it hasn't worked yet but it only has to stick once. Can you grow lemon trees in the Walking Dead setting?
The characters have actually tried to rebuild society. In fact, where I'm at in the comics, they're currently living in a nice little town where the only danger is dying of boredom. Killing zombies is fun. Living in a safe environment where everything is sunny certainly is not.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I'm not usually one to criticise Yahtzee but since this was a review of the Walking Dead game would it have killed him to talk about Walking Dead rather than tropes from the history of adventure gaming that aren't even relevant to Walking Dead, and tropes of zombie games that, again, aren't really relevant to Walking Dead?

Just wondering.

Incidentally, I think the Walking Dead game is pretty great - as someone who never read the comics and doesn't like the TV series, I think that says something about it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Assassin Xaero said:
So, I actually chose to save the guy instead of the kid (a guy who can actually kill something would leave better chance of survival than a kid would), and turns out the kid survived and the guy died anyway.
Sounds like the staff was to lazy or to pressed to be able to make that a meaningful decision.
I'm pretty sure that they aren't allowed to let a kid die. Censorship and all that.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
You can't call it puzzle anymore than writing your name at the top of the answer sheet will count toward your test results.
Ready to hear something depressing. Some American public schools have instituted a "minimum grade" policy. That's right. Teacher's are not allowed to give a student a grade lower than 40%-50% on any one assignment. So in some American public schools putting your name on the Answer Sheet counts toward 50% of the assignment.

Depressed yet?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
ServebotFrank said:
Scars Unseen said:
lwm3398 said:
Hexenwolf said:
Haven't read the series or seen the show, but everyone keeps saying it's good. I might actually check the game out first, just to see if I like the world.
You'd probably be better off starting with the show. From what was said in this review, one's sense of the world is pretty different between the game and the TV series. And the TV series seems pretty close to the graphic novels, so it might be to your advantage if you watch the show/read the series first.
If by pretty close you mean that half the characters in the show are alive when they shouldn't be, and the other half has gone off in a completely different direction than the comic took them, yeah, I guess the show is pretty close to the comic.

Sometimes I can be pretty lenient with less than faithful adaptations(the Scott Pilgrim movie comes to mind), but The Walking Dead show just pisses me off.
I believe the Creator of the comics said he doesn't want the show to follow the comics exactly. He says that makes it really predictable for followers of the comics when they might as well be following the comics. By not making it a perfect adaptation (The creator of the comics is heavily involved with the show so everything happens when he says so) it means the show becomes very unpredictable like with how Shane and Dale's fates are much different then the comics.
Xanadu84 said:
Personally I prefer Walking Dears adaptation style. I know what happens in the comics already. Doing something completely different in the show lets me think about characters from a different angle. Also, I know that what happens to Lori in the next season isn't certain, which greatly adds to the tension that would be missing were it a strict adaptation. Besides, the comic creators are on board, and some of the characters that survived longer in the show did so because they needed to do the plot point of that persons death before they were canceled. Once they had a TV show, they were more comfortable letting that character stick around an exploring an opportunity they missed in the comic.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work out that way for me. It's not just that the characters are different than the comics; they are worse than the comics. Rick stays "the good guy," Carl never hardens and just serves to be an annoying kid, and Shane's continued existence turns the whole thing into a big soap opera, where in the comic, most confrontations of the scale that Shane and Rick have eventually end in someone's death. The main cast miss out on a lot of character development and it shows.

On top of that, they are doing the death thing completely wrong. When someone dies, it's either completely predictable(Dale), or played for sympathy instead of shock(Sophia). In the comic, death is often a shock, either because of how they died, or because of who did the killing. I mean, where are Billy and Ben? In the comics, Carl's character is practically shaped by death, and those two are a big part of it. I think the game was right to go with a completely different set of characters in a parallel story.

Maybe we'll see some much needed strife in the coming arc, but at this point I've pretty much lost interest in the show.

bullet_sandw1ch

Jun 3, 2011
OniaPL said:
So, Yahtzee absolutely loved the game and will admit that it is the new epitome of adventure games and the best game of this decade.

Seriously though, am I the only one who killed Larry? It's like everyone was taking a chance instead of the logical choice.
the sad part is that
larry started breathing right before you nail him with the salt lick, so he would have lived if kenny fucked off for once.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
I really used to like adventure games. That is, until everyone seemingly stopped making them. I should really give Telltale's games a try someday.

Vzzdak

May 7, 2010
Hexenwolf said:
The show is tricky because there are (a) comic purists that want their vision of the comic maintained, (b) horror enthusiasts that expect more gore, and (c) casual viewers that squirm from the gore and tense situations. The show is quite enjoyable provided you're okay with how the show maintains a balance between comic continuity, drama and squirm.

Yahtzee scoffed at the notion of rebuilding society after a zombie apocalypse, yet that's actually the territory that the comic is currently going. It's brilliant in maintaining story possibilities, and one has difficulty anticipating how things will unfold. Definitely giving the tv show a run for its money, plot wise.

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
The whole "let the kid die vs let the dude die" thing isn't really a thing.
The dude was going to survive no matter what. I tried several different ways to do that, and finally in frustration just looked up how to save the dude - and whaddya know, you can't!

That stupid little kid...

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Aww, I was hoping the series would be finished by my birthday so I could just play them all at once.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
TheDrunkNinja said:
I completely agree. The characters in this game that force you to make choices really only want a yesman. They make it like they just want you at their back, but fuck 'em. Disagree once, especially in an instance where their side is really fucking inhuman, and they act like you've betrayed them.

Other than that, the game is quite good, but it does hamper the fun when you realize in the long term that your choices don't matter in the end:

Save the kid or the guy from walkers? Doesn't matter. The guy dies no matter what, and the kid's dad just grabs him like nothing.

Save the guy by chopping his leg off or let him die? Dies from blood loss anyway.

Try to resuscitate a man who's heart has stopped or crush his head with a brick before he dies and comes back as a walker? Your buddy does the dirty deed while your doing CPR, so whether he was going to die or not is irrelevant.

The only game changing choice was made when you had to save one of two characters, and this time whoever you choose is the one to live and the other dies. From then on, that character has your back, which was pretty awesome in a lot of tough spots in the second episode.

Gilhelmi said:
Part of my long-term survival plan is too rebuild society. I am even planing on building a library 25 years into the apocalypse, sooner if the political and military situation permits.

I am working on a short-term (1-5 years post) mid-term (6-15 years post) and long-term (16+ years post).

So ya, I would enjoy a Zombie game where I got too rebuild society.
http://armorgames.com/play/12389/rebuild-2

The game has different multiple endings depending on your choices, one of which is writing up a new constitution and creating a new government. Another is actually finding a cure to the outbreak. Getting one ending doesn't ever end the game, so you can potentially get all of them.

Enjoy.
I lost 8 hours too that game ty