Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

Plowking

Jul 2, 2008
That is only because of where the thread is - Yahtzee will take a bashing on the CAD forums. Tim, doesn't want to draw attention to it.

I think that idiot Tim already knew that people were going to hate the comic (especially after the miscarriage mess) and now in an attempt to avoid hypocrisy just said he's opinion and closed it. But as I mention in my previous post with an example, that creep Tim is a total hyprocrite.

Gormless

Mar 4, 2008
Mordakii said:
The rampant fanboism on the CAD forum, over the miscarriage story was some kind of EMO explosion that was sickening to witness.
ye gods man! Tell me you dont visit that dark pit! did you go through decontamination afterwards? Or do we enact quarantine measures?

Evilducks

Sep 20, 2007
Johnn Johnston said:
I enjoy CAD. I enjoy Yahtzee.

Why can't fans of both just get along? They are both good in their own right.
No, because fans of former actually believe the last sentence.

Ragamuffin

Jun 15, 2008
SaneIntolerant said:
UnaidedCoder said:
SaneIntolerant said:
Also, Buckley himself locked the thread and said that everyone is entitled to their opinion.
Well he pretty much blew any chance he had of accusing Yahtzee a hypocrite with that one. That's like closing down a gay bar because you claim to believe in equal rights.
I don't think I understand your analogy there.
In this analogy the thread is the Gay Bar and by locking the thread/closing the Gay Bar he's denying people a chance to voice their opinion/equal rights. Clear enough?

Dizturbd

Jun 30, 2008
Loved this weeks review. Can't wait to see the Yahtzee fans bashing CAD/CAD fans bashing Yahtzee. For the record, I love webcomics, especially CAD, and I was pissing myself laughing at this review.

ReverseEngineered

Raving Lunatic
Apr 30, 2008
I read CAD and I agree, the comic is going completely down hill. While I appreciate his desire to run something other than just a gaming comic, hijacking the strip by injecting extreme seriousness was tactless. It was the completely wrong audience. I doubt most people reading CAD would appreciate the strange tangent it took.

On the other hand, I love reading Penny Arcade. I couldn't quite tell if Yahtzee was jealous of them or thought they were horrible. His anger towards CAD was much clearer.

That all said, the "I'm aware of the hypocricy" disclaimer doesn't make it any less hypocritical. It's hard to take a person seriously when they bash others for things that they do themselves. Unless, of course, self-referential humor was intended, in which case it was perhaps a bit too subtle.

Meric

Jul 2, 2008
Meh, i stopped reading CAD a couple of years ago due to it not being overly funny and i completely agree with your assertion in the Mass Effect video that it did have "too many mother fucking words".

However is it really worth making a whole video about it and therefore push to the side lines people that dont know/dont care about your internet tif?

sure move away from games abit. I quite enjoy your tangents (MoH vid/condemned vid), but this was over the top.

P.S CAD isnt as bad as some of the crap being put out, like Drawn by Pain

myopiczeal

Jan 24, 2008
A self-important, bearded transcript:
The thought occurs that for all my banging at the "games are art" drum, art is only as good as the culture that surrounds it. A game could give the most extraordinarily emotional experience in the entirety of human culture, and bring tears to the eyes of a jaded war veteran with no eyes, but it's all for naught if it's not surrounded by self-important bearded tossers who read too much into things for a living, and since I'm one of gaming culture's alpha self-important bearded tossers, I thought I'd discuss the trend of internet gaming humour. And by that I mean the trend of gaming webcomics. And by "trend", I mean "plague".

So you've looked at Penny Arcade, seen the massive amounts of money, prestige, and money those guys get for nine panels a week, and decided that you want in on that. Many gaming webcomic artists have thought the exact same thing - in fact, let's not beat around the bush, all gaming webcomic artists (except Penny Arcade, obviously). The first thing to do is to be, or move in with, someone who can draw, forcefully if necessary. If you don't know anyone who can draw, and you yourself draw like a flipper-handed freak child who just discovered MS Paint, don't fret, just write excessive amounts of dialogue, and hide the hideous art with huge speech bubbles. If you don't know how to draw or write, are a functionally retarded quadruple amputee, and can only communicate by banging your head against a Wacom tablet, that's still no reason to quit; you can wipe your ass with a page of Mega Man sprites, and there'll still be someone on Comic Genesis who'll tell you that it's brilliant.

The next thing you need to do is create your main character, and since it's important to write what you know, the main character will obviously be you, but while you are a repressed, socially retarded dullard who no one would ever honestly admit to liking, your author insertion character is a fantasy, so they will be a charismatic eccentric who is unconditionally loved by everyone, even while he's setting their dog on fire. The secondary character is the straight man, whose job it is to play comic foil to the other character's bullshit, and inexplicably tolerate his behaviour, when any sane person would be checking the Rooms To Rent pages with one hand, and slamming the idiot's face in a drawer with the other.

The third character is The Girl. You know, girls? Those mysterious creatures you see on the bus, who have their own bathrooms, and spray stingy liquid in your face. If you don't know much about girls, because your conversations with them don't last for more than a few minutes before the police are called, just use your Mum as a frame of reference, characterizing the female as a disapproving, eye-rolling nanny who tolerantly wipes up the whoopsies of the idiot man-children and chastises them with the occasional spanking. And since your ego should be swelling nicely by this point, she should also become the main character's girlfriend somehow, because she finds something adorable about the way he gets hypnotized by her breasts.

Now you have to make your comic funny. And reading most existing webcomics, one could be forgiven for thinking that humour is entirely optional, but believe it or not, there are people who laugh at that stuff, even if it's just the author's mum. Fortunately the advantage of running a gaming webcomic is that gaming humour is incredibly easy. All you have to do is apply video game logic to the real world for comic effect. For example, in say, Gears of War, you have to push the analogue stick to move forward, when in real life, you have to continually put one foot in front of the other. This might not sound like "A" material, but trust me, phrase this right, and there's a fortune to be made in Cafepress shirts. If that doesn't work, go for the edgy crowd, and do a comic implying that Mario does Luigi up the arse. And if that doesn't work, just go on about the Cake being A Lie.

So, now your comic is squatting on the internet like a sewage plant on the river Thames, but you're still not popular because you're competing with every other hack with a Playstation and a messiah complex, so how do you stand out against the crowd? Well, you're forgetting the most important ingredient: drama. I'm not talking about dramatic storylines, although that can certainly be part of it. Let's say, for sake of example, that you're sick of making Companion Cube jokes, and suddenly do a serious storyline about your female character having a miscarriage. Obviously, you'd need to have several blood clots in your brain to think this is a good idea; you're established as a wacky humour comic, so this is going to be an awkward tonal shift at best, and hugely disrespectful of the subject matter at worst. Your most hardcore supporters will feebly attempt to go along with you on this, smiling nervously at each other as they would around a mentally unstable friend with a shillelagh, but mean-spirited, emibttered cocks are gonna call you out on it. At this point, there are many ways you can respond. "I don't see you doing anything better," "I can do whatever I want with MY comic," "You're just jealous because I get more readers," and other equally flawed arguments, but above all else, never admit defeat, because the bigger a douche you are, the more traffic you get, as spectators line up to see you jump around the monkey cage, screaming and flinging your poo.

Drama is the mortar that holds the webcomic community together, and there are so many wonderful ways to create it. Make absolutely no effort to improve your horrible drawing style, act like a prick at a convention, respond to constructive criticism with hostility, and just generally behave like the kind of monstrous egotist that blossom like mushrooms in the darkened trough of shit that is the internet. And if anyone really pisses you off, depict them in your comic as a ridiculous strawman and mock them with infuriating self-righteousness. You know, kind of like exactly what I'm doing now. So your gaming webcomic package is compete. All that's left to do is gather it all together, and throw it in a fucking bin, because you're a talentless cultural pollutant who deserves to suffocate to death on a bag of porridge.

Bombader

Nov 21, 2007
Funny, in some bits reminded me of Bob and George while the rest was very obvious.

Though I agree to interject that much drama into a comedy all at once is bad writing, you have to ease into it not throw it in. I liked CAD for it's game parody's more than it's "main story" anyway.

p0nda

Aug 25, 2007
Ahh, so this is the internet drama of which he talks. I haven't read anything CAD in many a year, and even when I did it was for about 3 strips, because it was shite (imo). I am, however, amused that with the plethora of absolutely garbage web comics out there, every single person here assumes that it's CAD that he's talking about - speaks volumes to the quality of CAD.

Casual Matt

May 8, 2008
I used to read Bob and George, and this reminds me of how it used to be.

Except for the Author being the main character, but he did pop in now and again.

Anyway, Bob and George was actually pretty funny, but I can't be buggered to keep up with it by reading it every day.

David_Cat

Jul 2, 2008
p0nda said:
Ahh, so this is the internet drama of which he talks. I haven't read anything CAD in many a year, and even when I did it was for about 3 strips, because it was shite (imo). I am, however, amused that with the plethora of absolutely garbage web comics out there, every single person here assumes that it's CAD that he's talking about - speaks volumes to the quality of CAD.
"assume"? did you not see the picture with "Bontrol Bolt Belete" on it? It was blatantly obvious

Inriri

Jun 4, 2008
Great vid. I stopped reading CAD a while ago, but it is a rule that if you remove all the text and splice the comic with other comics you can get something funny out of it.

[http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=miafi2.jpg]

(yes, I suck at photoshop)

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
If Yahtzee knows the cake is a lie, who are we to argue?

Now a miss Megatokyo. Was a very good webcomic untill it turned into a romance drama.

TheIceface

May 8, 2008
Congratulations Yahtzee, this one didn't suck. I actually prefer watching videos about you poking at things you are passionate about. While it wasn't a video game review, per se, it was a good slap in the neck that the internet needed. Now that you've ascended your golden throne its a good thing that you are still sticking to hating things that need hating rather than simply being "another reviewer".

The Anonymous Mr P

Apr 17, 2008
As far as I can tell from the review, in reply to a previous comment, Yahtzee's attitude towards Penny Arcade was "fair enough, well played".

Also, oooosh at the entire review. Maybe not entirely subtle enough, but good god if CAD did actually pull that shit then it deserves anything it gets thrown against it.

Perhaps a couple more comments could have been more evidently neutral - after all, despite the obvious criticisms levelled against CAD in the review, it's hardly the only perpetrator of such bullshit - the internet is flooded with crap gaming-related webcomics, after all, and to see the entire review as a well-orchestrated snipe is probably exaggerating a little.

All in all, I lol'd.

JakubK666

Jan 1, 2008
Well, while I understood about 80% of the comic references, which comic strip was attacking Yahtzee as a "comeback"? I know Duelling Analogs did one about him about him, but it wasn't offensive or anything like that.

http://www.duelinganalogs.com/comic/2008/04/03/zero-punctuation-multiple-puncture-wounds/