Zero Punctuation: Webcomics

AzureDemon

Oct 31, 2009
Nice CAD reference.

I was one of those who thought "what the F?" when I heard that what he did on his comic was an actual real life event x.x

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
"Cheese Monkey Ninja Pirate Monkey."
"Female character having a Miscarriage."
"Gets hypnotized by her breasts."

Wow, everything short of slapping a sticker on it.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Just finished reading yahtzee's webcomic "yahtzee takes on the world" i thought it was pretty awesome.

magicmonkeybars

Gullible Dolt
Nov 20, 2007
Having rewatched this ZP I wonder,
Say I am guilty of these things, creating crap I mean.
What should I do about that ?

What I've created might be crap but it's there online, should I delete the bad and try harder continueing to delete until I succeed in creating something decent ?
Is deleting the failure better or is that just removing the context for later work.

Should I acknowledge it's failure to prevent people from voicing there displeasure and criticism unnecessarily ? (as in, "I know, you don't have to remind me.")
Should I just give up accepting failure and move on to something else ?

There's no point in giving examples of the shit I do, just trust me it's no very good.

TL:DR, what's better, delete bad content when judged bad so it doesn't pollute the internet.
Or leave it up as a frame of reference for future work however bad or good ?

The_Amazing_G

Sep 13, 2009
magicmonkeybars said:

What I've created might be crap but it's there online, should I delete the bad and try harder continueing to delete until I succeed in creating something decent ?
Is deleting the failure better or is that just removing the context for later work.

Should I acknowledge it's failure to prevent people from voicing there displeasure and criticism unnecessarily ? (as in, "I know, you don't have to remind me.")

There's no point in giving examples of the shit I do, just trust me it's no very good.

TL:DR, what's better, delete bad content when judged bad so it doesn't pollute the internet.

What you should do is try your best to produce something that you feel is adequate and keep trying your best to make it better. You don't have to delete anything; you are clearly to worried about what others think. I love to listen to the things that Yahtzee has to say, but he is just a critic like any other, and that doesn't mean he's always fair. If you worry about people always whole heartedly loving everything you do, you'll never create anything without fear of being rebuked. No matter what you do, I guarantee there is a large group of people who will hate it mercilessly. The greatest people how have ever lived had people who hated everything they did. You shouldn't just delete something because someone doesn't think it's good enough for them. Do stuff for you, not for other people to judge. If people like it, great. If they don;t, let them cry as much as they want. I'll bet Yahtzee faces a huge amount of criticism on a daily bases, but that doesn't mean he should delete all his videos.

Whitefeather

Apr 13, 2009
I just realized this is the last episode where he uses music at the beginning instead of the generic rock lol.

The_Amazing_G

Sep 13, 2009
Epic Wizard said:
Tempdude0 said:
Hey, he has archives. It's not that hard to look it up. You wanted an example, I gave it. I'm not grabbing it and serving it on a silver plate for you.
Then you are an idiot. When you are citing a source you don't just go 'that one over there that looks like a thing'. You tell the other person where to find what you are referencing and point them directly to it. Have you ever actually written an essay before? As in one where you had to cite sources?

Tempdude0 said:
Yes, but it's based on intelligence/mental stability. Since Dominic is both one of the most intelligent people around and the biggest arrogant douche-bag in all the land, he should just use it every time. You know, what with everyone else being an idiot as well.
How do I put this... NO. What is meant by 'Opening your mind on a psychoplane is dangerous' is that it doesn't matter who's psychoplane or how much stronger you are than them because you can still fuck yourself up.

I wish to add that I am very glad you don't have any sort of supernatural ability because from the sound of it you would be the sort of person that superman needs to go beat the shit out of.

Tempdude0 said:
Damn, that google thing is hard to use. God forbid you type a sentence into ANY search engine.
No idea what you are talking about here. This is where use of the quote tags comes in handy.

Tempdude0 said:
Also, there are plenty put out in black and white and done by a single person.
Name them and cite your sources.

Tempdude0 said:
Since dip shit makes a living off his comic, I get to compare him to those people.
According to whom? Mookie is doing something completely different from what they do and if you don't like it (I think I've said this about half a dozen times already) then you are not obligated to read it or any other webcomic that you do not like.

Tempdude0 said:
In comparison, he is lacking in art, pacing, and general writing. In comparison to people who DON'T make a living off their work, he's lacking in art, pacing, and general writing as well, but that's just me picking on the poor simpleton. We-fucking-ha.
Which is funny because your thought process lacks in sense, clarity, and general cohesion. Again name some comics that you like which fit the above criteria.

Tempdude0 said:
Websters. You know, the DICTIONARY? That thing with words and definitions? What, do you use dictionary.com or some shit? Lord save me from people who botch even the easy route.
At this point I'm in college so I don't actually have a physical dictionary. Go figure. Plus it's very hard to cite a physical book in an online argument since I can't really assume that you have the same book I do.

Tempdude0 said:
As for the ":" used, it's for the break in different definitions you 'tard.
You used a semi-colon in two different ways in the same 'sentence' which could be mistaken for each other which is a poor move stylistically (and I just know you are going to say this but I did not infact mistake your usage of the semi-colons I was simply correcting your poor use of them)

Tempdude0 said:
HAVE YOU EVEN USED A DICTIONARY BEFORE? God damn you're stupid.
God damn is an exclamation and should therefore have a comma after it, and yes I have used a dictionary before.

Tempdude0 said:
Don't try to sound intelligent when you know jack shite about what you're saying.
Learn to spell. Also what are you talking about since there isn't really anything you have presented before this that the main idea of this sentence could latch onto (the idea being "what you're saying"). Please clarify.

Tempdude0 said:
Good thing I didn't include the phonetic spelling, or you'd be correcting that as well.
Only if you were grammatically incorrect or ambiguous in your presentation of it.

Tempdude0 said:
As for those two definitions, yes, you are. You lack the ability to put forth cohesive arguments. You lack understanding of words and their usage. You can't even use language appropriately. You've fucked up on half the list, so yes, I'd say you're quite a bit lower on the intellectual totem pole than I am.
Actually I've been using language quite effectively and I doubt you can cite specific examples of where I have done otherwise. As for cohesive arguments you are the one who can't even include a simple citation in the form of a link. It's not like I'm asking for an APA style bibliography here.

Tempdude0 said:
Websters IS the dictionary, you, massive, idiot.
No it is a dictionary. Also you use to many commas. (yes I know what you are doing with them but it only makes you more annoying and look dumb)

Tempdude0 said:
Miriam Webster, the definitive and comprehensive dictionary when relating to the English language...And, were I you, I would avoid attempting to call out people on lack of comprehension when 1) They're in the right, and 2) You've yet to comprehend half of what's been typed.
Half incoherent paragraphs which don't bother to cite back to what they are referring to are generally hard to comprehend. While Miriam Webster may have penned the first American dictionary but the Oxford English Dictionary is the keeper of the English language.

Tempdude0 said:
...I was implying that people on Deviantart have juvenile reactions to criticism whether it be constructive or harsh. They tend to ignore any bit of reason or evidence presented before them and blindly charge on, so sure they're in the right.
If it's you providing the criticism and you provide it in the same manner in which you have been relating to me then I can understand why they would be defensive or hostile.

Tempdude0 said:
See, this is where you keep on failing at reading comprehension. You read it through once, skip the majority of what's written, pick up on a single word or phrase, and then talk out your ass.
Noooo... I just don't consider saying bunch of stuff and then indicating that the support is over somewhere among a whole lot of similar information to be supporting your side of the argument and I certainly don't see a reason to support it for you. Lets take a page out of reality here. If you tried this in a scholarly paper you would never get it published with arguments this poorly supported.

Tempdude0 said:
P.S. I'll stop being an ass when you stop being such a obtuse moron.
I can't promise anything on the obtuse bit but I know I'm not a moron.

For the love of God, stop. epic wizard, you have no right to call him an ass because you are clearly the biggest ass in the universe. My source for that is my own standards and the limit of basic human decency, since sources are so ridiculously important to you. You do not have the right to go through someones comments and make rude and sarcastic comments about thing they say because you don't approve of them. Yes, I agree that A FEW of the things that tempdude said where either uninformed or moronic, but what you did is incredibly narcissistic and you should really stop. Besides, the last two things he posted were completely reasonable. You're just making yourself look bad. and if you really want to make yourself look even worse you should do it yo me to, because you seem to have a thing of mocking people who disagree with you to any degree.

Here's two quotes to support my argument:

"There's no cure for stupid."

"Only a fool argues with a fool."

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
magicmonkeybars said:

There's two ways you can look at anything you've done (protip: EXCEPT MURDER). You can view it as some kind of final submission to an uncaring universe and that your peers will use it to judge your very soul and worth as a human being. Or you can view it as a learning experience. The best thing about making a webcomic, in my experience, is the rhythmic practice it enforces on you. If you have a deadline to hit then you're going to produce someting, good or not, each time you produce somehting you get a little better at it. Before long you'll be looking at your earlier work and thinking "jesus, that was fucking awful" that's perfectly natural and is in fact, the best sign of a growing artist/writer.

The only real crime in webcomic creation, at least in my book, is deliberate stagnation. Being bad at it isn't a bad thing, not wanting to get better, or worse, getting just good enough to draw in the paypal donations and just resting there forever like some kind of donation gobbling spider.

So keep drawing/writing, keep hammering away at it, eventually it will click. Just don't turn into the next Buckley or Piro.

mizi

Oct 10, 2009
The music on the rockband 3 ad preceding matched the video intro perfectly, will wonders never cease?