Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

tautologico

e^(i * pi) + 1 = 0
Apr 5, 2010
Funny review that I'll sure show to my WoW-playing buddies. The comments are even funnier, with people saying "yeah, Yahtzee just confirms what I have always thought: WoW sucks, even though I never have played it". He even said the game is well designed.

The "evil" part is kinda true: if you have an obsessive or addictive personality, it may not be the best thing to try. But lots of people can play it without ruining their lives (most people, actually).

And yes, some people play for "numbers", to be "the best", but many play because they find it fun. To me, raiding is incredibly fun when you're doing it with friends, and considerably less fun when doing with strangers (still can be fun sometimes).

Anyway, I think haters gonna hate :)

WabbitTwacks

Dec 8, 2010
Mogworld was awesome.

I wonder if i'll get on probation for this post. Cos' it looks like someone is on a random "put everyone on probation" spree (now i deffo will :D

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Greetings all, I signed up to post here as I felt I wanted to contribute my opinion to the thread. Normally, I am just a viewer. I usually come here to just watch the reviews to get a glimpse of his opinions on games I haven't yet played or to see a game I have already played from another perspective.

That out of the way, I have to wonder if I am taking him too seriously or not. However, I actually believe he means it when he says that WoW is "evil". Really? how is a video game evil? Does he mean to say that activision/blizzard are evil? or that WoWs developement team are evil? Because a video game is just that, a game.

I actually find it appalling that he would say WoW is evil. Thats what those crazy newscasters say when they want to attack a video game for publicity. i.e. see youtube for videos on everquest, wow, etc and how "MMORPGs are evil and destroy lives". Do you consider yourself a gamer? Because MMOS -are- still games. You should also see such news reports about how video games are evil (not just mmos). Why do I say all this? Because it is VERY strange to see that kind of attitude from a VG reviewer!

If MMORPGS destroy your life, and all you can see is "wasted time" as you fly using fast travel, don't you have that same attitude toward -all- video games? And if not, why? They're the same thing, little accomplishments that mean nothing to anyone except you.

And if you prevent yourself from enjoying a game out of fear of addiction, all I can say if that you just need to have self control. You can continue to play WoW and I daresay if you find the game so fun that you can't stop playing (or at least feel like you can't), then why deny yourself it entirely? The same principles hold true to many aspects of life. People find themselves getting addicted to things all the time, but all they truly require is proper moderation, not total elimination. You have to tell yourself that the game isn't going anywhere, and even if it does get shut down some day, there will always be another to replace it, and further than that, it won't be going away anytime soon. Tell yourself that, and you should be able to control yourself and limit your playtime.

Should you -not- want to limit yourself, there's -still- plus sides to playing just one game, financially and more.

Buying a new game every 1-3 weeks for $20-60 is no different than playing one MMORPG for a lengthy period of time, in terms of money or time spent "wasting away" in front of a screen looking at numbers and trying to achieve higher numbers.

Are retro games of the past evil, because their main motifying factor in gameplay was increasing your score? Is Mario evil? Pacman? All video games are a battle of numbers, even story based games like Mass Effect, because a video game can never be just story, dialogue and cutscenes, it has to have gameplay, and that requires numbers. "I have to get to the next level" "I have to kill this group of enemies(gears of war)" "I have to defeat that boss, collect that treasure, solve that puzzle". They're all carrot on a stick chases, and as a gamer I am damn proud to play and enjoy all of them.

I found Yahtzee's review to wind up as nothing more than "I want to play this game, but I have no self control, so I avoid it like the plague" or at least, that's what hes suggesting to others, which I find to be nothing short of an apalling review of a great game.

P.S. I don't currently subscribe to WoW, however I did enjoy it in the past. :)
P.P.S I know that everyone has a different opinion, and I'm fine with that, but I think he went a little far by saying a video game was evil, a waste of time and that it destroys lives.

DoomBlackDragon

Sep 13, 2008
mechanixis said:
It's like I always say: WoW is basically a math class with pauldrons.

I'm glad Yahtzee cut to the heart of this one, WoW and similar MMOs are pretty insidious creatures. They're almost like much larger, much more polished, much more expensive Zynga games. I know Blizzard has aspirations of making an engaging story and interesting world, but at the end of the day their predominant clientele is the OCD, operant-conditioning crowd that has become all too attached to a series of numbers.

A engagin story? Are you kidding me. DeathWing Dies in Warcraft 2. It the same concept of Diablo 3 where diablo and the world is destoried at the end of Diablo 2. All blizzard is nothing more then a young George Lucas. The lore is gone and they just keep beating on a dead horse which idiots keep buying into.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Fangobra said:
John Funk said:
And what about paying for a service like cable TV or internet? You're paying to access the WOW servers and interface with Blizzard 's scripts and triggers. There's a reason private servers suck; they don't have any of the npc abilities.
Internet is an extension of functionality. Your computer is not useless without it, and there is really quite a lot you can do.

Cable TV is wrong in the same way, however. That's why Freeview was invented.
Sorry, it's not wrong. They are providing a service. You are paying for the service, the same way as you would pay for a product. It just happens that in this case, you need to buy a product (the WoW account - the software, essentially, is worthless) to access the service. Much like how you need to pay for a computer in order to use the internet, or a TV in order to watch your cable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a fee for the use of a service.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I am suprised by this shallow opinion.
Wow is bad, because it ruined a few lives?
Doesn't make that gaming bad, because it ruined a few lives?

No, it doesn't. If you let your life get ruined by something as easy as Wow, then there weere clearly problems there before.

Like... oh, lets say: A child, that you didn't want in the first place and that shackles you to your home.

Kumomaru

May 21, 2008
Oh THIS should be good.

*watches*

... i honestly expected more flaming =/

Don't get me wrong, i like WoW but this is YAHTZEE. i assumed he'd be spewing hate out every pore he has for this MMO. And then make new ones to keep from exploding.

And then explode anyway.

elpresidente

Feb 10, 2008
I played it for six months, and I have to say it was great fun, leveling up my rogue dwarf, exploring, garroting and backstabbing things. I have great memories from this game. It was unique experience.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
My journey through WoW sounds a lot like Yahtzee's except I was Warlock instead of a Mage and I played til I hit level 60... then I looked around realized, "What's the point, I've wasted so much time on this tripe" and I got off and have never played the game since. The only reason I want to go back is for the Worgen (and possibly Goblins), but that's a pretty piss poor reason to go waste hundreds of dollars and hundreds of hours of my life.

DJShire

Sep 27, 2008
I love reposting this

Back when I played WoW (years ago), I tried many a time to play as an Alliance character, and never got past level 12. It wasn't that the gaming experience was any different, but back then, the Alliance community was all pre-teens and teens that were loath to help you out if you asked for it. Horde players were helpful, sometimes more than you'd expect, with any question.

May 26, 2010
John Funk said:
Sorry, it's not wrong. They are providing a service. You are paying for the service, the same way as you would pay for a product. It just happens that in this case, you need to buy a product (the WoW account - the software, essentially, is worthless) to access the service. Much like how you need to pay for a computer in order to use the internet, or a TV in order to watch your cable.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with charging a fee for the use of a service.
No there isn't, but there IS something wrong with withholding access to the full functionality of a consumer's OWN PROPERTY until they pay you more money. You can use a computer offline, and a television as a screen for a computer/home media player, but Wow's software is completely and utterly useless until you fork out to Blizzard AGAIN, on top of the frankly criminal amount you paid for the discs, and continue to do so monthly.

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
Exterminas said:
I am suprised by this shallow opinion.
Wow is bad, because it ruined a few lives?
Doesn't make that gaming bad, because it ruined a few lives?

No, it doesn't. If you let your life get ruined by something as easy as Wow, then there weere clearly problems there before.

Like... oh, lets say: A child, that you didn't want in the first place and that shackles you to your home.
A "few" is an understatement when it comes to WoW. I've watched several people have their lives ruined in some way by this game. If it isn't neglecting their job or their school work, it's neglecting their family and friends and becoming obsessed by increasing their numbers in a silly little game.

Some games are WORTH spending several hours of your life on. Minecraft is not only a game but a very nice creative outlet for example. WoW is just an endless stream of killing the same enemies in the same ways until you get a level to kill them in a slightly different same way. Then you rinse and repeat. Raise your numbers, and at the end of the day find that you you've wasted a large amount of time on something incredibly pointless.

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
huh... I expected yahtzee to roll a warlock...
what with all of the soul draining and destroying all that others hold dear...

Gizen

Nov 17, 2009
Personally, I'm the exact opposite of the people Yahtzee asked as far as raiding goes. I don't raid to get items, I get items so that I can raid. Raiding is just enjoyable to me, as raid bosses frequently have the most complex and interesting mechanics in the game, and usually requires a bit more paying attention than the rest, plus it gives me something to do with my friends that also play. Personally, I really couldn't give a shit what my numbers look like so long as they're good enough to get the job done and I'm not holding other people in my raid group back, so I do have to get more items, if only to keep pace with everyone else, but if raid bosses suddenly stopped dropping loot entirely I would still do them. Once I've done all of the raids is usually the point in the game where I become bored and want to go and play something else, as to me, beating all the raids is the equivalent to beating the game.

Though I fully realize I'm probably in the minority as far as this opinion is concerned. Hell, I'm one of those rare people who actually enjoys levelling, whereas everyone else I've ever spoken to hates it with a passion.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Can't wait to watch it once I get home from work.

All these pages of people complaining about WoW has made the afternoon pretty entertaining to be honest. You'd think that WoW was the virtual equivalent of Crack from a lot of posts. It's just funny how every time WoW is mentioned, addiction is thrown around like crazy.

Yet, mention DAoC, SWG, EvE, GW, etc...and no addiction-tags. EQ, I remember, was called evercrack back around 2000, and now...not so much. It's just a few obsessive personalities doing what they do - be obsessive. You'd think that fellow Gamers would realize that stereotyping an entire genre is a pretty bad thing to do... The Big Picture episode comparing comic book collectors to sports fans is spot on with this respect. It's even more funny to see Gamers calling fellow Gamers out on a Gaming forum - 'My Apples clearly are better than your Oranges!!'