Zero Punctuation: World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Belbe

Oct 12, 2009
Well, he didn't hate it which is enough for me. I personally think bragging rights, showing off and having those who do look at you in awe is a reason that is kinda more meaningful and rewarding than what you can get from most other games. Those who play for loot are just loners without friends on WoW.

Entropy_kC

Mar 18, 2009
Personally I like to raid because it's fun, getting better gear is only there to make doing the harder encounters possible. The same with PvP.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Vault101 said:
Ive never played wow...so whats wrong with the aliance?
As far as I understand it: Alliance = sort of good guys, Horde = outcasts. Fill in the blanks with basic psychology. For what it's worth I had much more fun (read: was surrounded by less douchebags) when I played Alliance in my brief experience with WoW. I'd like to give it a proper go but I'm becoming less able to justify the time and expense to myself...

Someonetookmyname

Jul 13, 2010
i can only find one reason for alliance sucking: its all humans! regular humans, british humans(/wolfes), low humans, low humans with beard and purple, pointy eared humans.
I've always thought that horde is more diverse

Jason Hay

Jan 8, 2011
I couldnt have said it better myself. World of Warcraft is so horrible for end game now cause its just as was said. Its a mindless grind for numbers at least it used to be fun sorta.... I swear I log on and stand around trying to think of what to do and then after a hour of coming to no decsion log out and feel like a twat for wasting an hour.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Quite funny...you could always get to end game and just raid all the instances once and then quit till the next patch...that's what lots of people do.

Quite a fitting game to be reviewing given the events happening in yours(and my) city.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
Interestingly the "numbers" argument could be used towards just about all MMOs. I mean...In essence why is everything done in EVE Online? The goal is to have the most uber XP character with the most uber flying ship of doom with X amount of uber mods and high powered guns to which you can either go grind your way through missions (in hopes of earning even more credits or loot to build an even more uber character and spaceships) or go PVP in hopes of the same + pulling your wank on some killboard. Sure you can join alliances and try and dominate areas of the map but to what ends? Are you actually creating anything that isn't part of some giant war machine? Nope. No matter how you slice it the game is just Counter Strike with spaceships, just that it takes 10x longer to achieve anything. Seriously, it be nice if EVE or any other MMO would actually allow you to achieve something positive like building a home for your peoples to live in peace and prosperity or maybe a franchise chain of truck stop diners where weary travelers can stop and have a burger and a milkshake.

Really all one ever does in any MMO is grind away endlessly to make a more uber character with more powerful weapons/spells/armor and the like to take on more formidable opponents which leads to a more uber character who is able to buy more powerful weapons/spells/armor...Round and round in a vicious circle.

Odoylerules360

We're all just folk now...
Aug 29, 2008
I might get into WoW once they add Skaven and Lizardmen.

Also, have they added Beasts of Chaos yet?

Vuvuzilla

Dec 9, 2010
I'm actually surprised that he didn't go all gooey for the worgen considering the fact that the entire starting area is leading to the piece de resistance where you obtain a sweet hat. On the other hand, the second this came up, I thought "ooh, Yahtzee reviewing WoW - I bet he's played it before, something appropriately evil and face melty, an undead mage or warlock..." AND HOW RIGHT I WAS. I then remembered he'd written mogworld (which I'm planning on purchasing at some point in the not-to-distant future) and felt a sudden flush of vindication. or it was incontinence. I'm not sure which.

Alandoril

Jul 19, 2010
Zombie_Fish said:
Jewrean said:
Why were the first 5 posts put on probation? WTF? Whoever that mod was they have the brain of a biased chimp.
They were put on probation for not telling us the secret to time travel and somehow being able to watch a four minute video before posting two minutes after the video was uploaded. Posting without watching the video is useless in terms of discussion value and is only done so that people can be the first to respond to the videos, and resultantly is a form of obnoxious behaviour that we will punish for.
Well, maybe the option to post should be greyed out until the mods deem it to be such a time that people have actually watched a video.

Surely that's got to be better than putting people on probation for having gut reactions?

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
He didn't get to the true nature of the "numbers": that the World of Warcraft revolves around envy. And those numbers are a measurement of epeen.