Zero Punctuation: Yakuza 4

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
The little disclaimer was there not because Yatzee thought he'd offend someone without out it, but instead because it was funny. Stark contrast=humor.

My least favorite Japanese reaction noise? "Mhh" I hate that one. Innocent girl characters do it the most. Hard to illustrate how it sounds with text, though.

I love how you go on a rant about Japanese culture and then incorrectly attribute Kung Fu to the Japanese. Kung Fu refers Chinese martial arts. Cave Johnson, we're done here.

Flauros

Mar 2, 2010
When i first found out Yahtzee was writing reviews, i had pages of yahtzee videos to go through, of pretty much any game that came out in the last year or so.

Now...ive watched them all. I have to wait every week, and they feel so short. Cant watch them all together like a movie anymore, lol

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
I seriosly was not expecting Yahtzee to review Yakuza 4. He was pretty much spot-on how the game goes, but I was surprised he didnt mention the pants-on-head retarded things the protagonists do at times in this game.
Example: You defeat big bad, then turn you gun on him but then decide youre better than this and throw it WITHIN 3 meters of the embittered baddie who is close to mental breakdown, and to whom you recently gave a lengthy Reason You Suck-speech. Darwinism really has no credibility with these people walking the earth.

A1

Jul 9, 2009
orangecharger said:
Bwahahahaa -- nice opening loved it! "Japanese are into some crazy shit!" right after a heartfelt balanced statement over the recent tragedy -- ah Yahtzee you cheeky bastard -- Another good quote "sumptuous fruit basket for your fist" -- Milk. Nose. Mess. I wasn't going to buy this game anyways - having watched the earlier Escapist review -- but now I am definitely not. I don't want to read the bottom of my tv for the sake of "realism". Realism where I am a kung fu god single handling kicking the ass off of everyone as long as I am in the right place to do it. Pshhhfft. Meh.
It's not about "realism" as few if any video games are truly realistic, it's about authenticity. When a game takes place in Japan it's only logical that the people actually speak Japanese.

And Kung Fu is Chinese, not Japanese.

Garfy

Nov 6, 2009
I've just finished Yakuza 3 and he's not wrong about the wierdness and some of the shonky design decisions.

But I liked it anyway, combat is brutally awesome and you can get as much or as little out of the side stuff as you feel like.

Plus if it were any more atmosperic you would actually be in Japan.

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
windlenot said:
That intro sure was completely necessary to balence out that statement, haha. I would also play a game called Constable Blimey Chaps.
You managed to ninja my entire post there :(

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
BX3 said:
Genuine Evil said:
I wonder if it was the escapist or Yahtzee who put that intro in
Most likely the Escapist. My guess is either Yahtzee makes these weeks in advance or he made this ep after the tragedy, but is aware that...

Nurb said:
commenting on a culture's seemingly odd interests doesn't imply you want horrible things to happen to them.
Either way, due to the eathquate and reactor issues, Escapist probably wanted to lessen the chance of Yahtzee rustling any feathers.
He makes these episodes on a weekly basis, meaning this one was made within the current week.

Voration

Jan 13, 2010
Anyone willing to lend me a PS3?
I might end up renting it and the PS3 otherwise X)

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
I like this review, it was genuinely funny, and not unreasonable or stupidly trying to come up with funny points to make.

BX3

Mar 7, 2011
SFR said:
He makes these episodes on a weekly basis, meaning this one was made within the current week.
Oh, okay then. Thanks for clearing that up.

WolfmanNougat

May 14, 2009
One constructive ragging, two potentially brilliant ideas just begging for someone in the audience to make. Good run.

Infernoshadow211

Nov 18, 2009
This may be the first time that I really didn't understand his full impression of the game. Yeah, the combat is awesome and the story is a bit convoluted, but I don't really get what he thinks of the full package.

esliang

Nov 18, 2009
No doubt, the Japanese ARE into some pretty weird stuff. Right on the money there, Yahtzee.