Zero Punctuation: ZombiU

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
At 40 seconds in I couldn't help but wonder "what the hell is Mr. Wonderful doing in this review?"
Still, great review as ever.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I don't think Yahtzee dislikes the Wii U as much as he hates gimmicks, and having to use the gamepad as your sniper scope is about as gimmicky as it gets. That's why he's always honing in on Nintendo - Nintendo loooooves their gimmicks. He's made fun of the Kinect and the Move as well, but since those are optional things, he's not having to constantly deal with them. Regardless, he's spot on about the tablet; holding that thing with one hand gets kind of irksome after a while. I know it's the size that it has to be, but it's still pretty uncomfortable to game with it.

Doesn't seem like he disliked this game, which is more than ZombiU can say where other critics are concerned. The game has been universally panned, so the fact that Yahtzee had a lot of positive things to say about it is interesting. I'm gonna give it a rent if I get the chance.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CriticKitten said:
Am surprised he gave even mild credit to the game because Yahtzee's general opinion on anything with Nintendo's label on it is "lol Nintendo sux".
I get a feeling people who say this haven't spent much time actually paying attention to what he said.

Uh, the game developers?
Unless Yahtzee was one of the game developers, that doesn't really matter.

Was Yahtzee one of the game developers?

No? So when the poster was going after Yahtzee based on those claims as though presented by Yahtzee, referencing points that Yahtzee specifically made, and claimed realism, it was pointless?

Awesome. Your technicality still validates my statement.

FallenMessiah88

So fucking thrilled to be here!
Jan 8, 2010
Awesome review. I had a feeling that Yahtzee wouldn't really hate the game itself as much as he would hate all the gimmicky touch screen mechanics. I will say thought that using the touch screen as the inventory screen kinda makes sense. On the other hand, the scope mechanic seems quite stupid.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sheo_Dagana said:
I don't think Yahtzee dislikes the Wii U as much as he hates gimmicks, and having to use the gamepad as your sniper scope is about as gimmicky as it gets. That's why he's always honing in on Nintendo - Nintendo loooooves their gimmicks. He's made fun of the Kinect and the Move as well, but since those are optional things, he's not having to constantly deal with them. Regardless, he's spot on about the tablet; holding that thing with one hand gets kind of irksome after a while. I know it's the size that it has to be, but it's still pretty uncomfortable to game with it.

Doesn't seem like he disliked this game, which is more than ZombiU can say where other critics are concerned. The game has been universally panned, so the fact that Yahtzee had a lot of positive things to say about it is interesting. I'm gonna give it a rent if I get the chance.
Also, Nintendo fans are more likely to get hostile and/or defensive about their system, so there's a certain level of confirmation bias in the process of seeing all this "hate."

If XBox or Playstation gamers were as militant in defending their consoles, the apparent bias would go away pretty quick.

And yeah, Yahtzee came off as fairly positive about the game. Considering he's supposed to hate Nintendo, you'd think he'd be more hostile. I mean, the game has a metascore of 77 on both Metacritic and Gamerankings, and as we all know, on the four point scale, that's pretty crappy.

>.>

Hutzpah Chicken

Mar 13, 2012
The cricket bat makes it sound like a silly little fun game. The 3 hours that the controller holds a charge is more than enough time to play ANOTHER zombie game.

medv4380

The Crazy One
Feb 26, 2010
Guffe said:
Got this console for myself for xmas.

Seems like he didn't really like the console itself but he didn't seem to have anything against the game.

The controller thingy is loaded with a charger I hope. Otherwise the cost for batteries is going to be pretty damn high.
It has an AC adapter so if you're going for a long 3+ hr session it's best to keep it plugged in, but if you're playing Mario and want to move to the kitchen for some reason and let someone else use the TV you'll only get 3hrs in the other room. However, ZombiU can't use that feature since it requires both a TV and Control. Works fine though walls too. Not so much though my Chimney though. Probably won't work though walls with a lot of wiring or plumbing ether.

It's too bad he didn't review the multiplayer mode. I kinda like one player playing a Zombie Strategy with the pad and the other playing a shooter with the Pro Control or Wiimote+nunchuck. That part could have used online multiplayer, but it is one of those quickly put-together launch titles that's not a port so they must have skipped it.

The online messaging also makes little to no sense, and you'll end up, inadvertently, marking things as "don't trust" because of it.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Actually, I rarely play for more than 2-3 hours in a sitting. However, I'm well aware that I'm in a minority on that one. Plus, the break in between play sessions is usually only an hour or so, so unless that gamepad recharges like crazy, it's still not gonna work.

As far as the Wii U itself- at this point, control gimmicks don't really phase me much. I just want good games. I'll play the Wii U like I do any other system- 3 exclusives I'm dying to own before I commit. Honestly, things are looking good for the Wii U- I want Rayman Origins and the Wonderful 101, so they only need 1 more to get me looking for deals on it. Still gotta wait for the tax return next year though- and a composite cable. I've decided not to upgrade my TV until me and the fiance work out the whole wedding/house thing (that way I can keep it on hand for the old school systems.)

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
I see the Nintendo Defences Force is out in full force.

A lot of people on Twitter that I follow seem to like the Wii U quite a bit. It's nice to heard some "counter-arguments".

Most of Yahtzee complains, which I agree with, are pretty much what I expected. Nintendo is still riding the gimmick train. I suppose after the "success" of the gimmicky Wii and DS. Why wouldn't they do it again? The 3DS's gimmick didn't turn out too well though, I'm quite sure it's only selling because of it's brand - and the lack of brand of it's competitor.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Am surprised he gave even mild credit to the game because Yahtzee's general opinion on anything with Nintendo's label on it is "lol Nintendo sux".

Of course, he DID spend half the review bitching about the Wii U instead of the game, so I guess it's just par for the mediocre course these days. Can't spend the review demonstrating genuine original concepts and humor, can we? Let's ***** about a company I don't like, my fans haven't gotten tired of that yet, I'm sure! This is why I loved your GW2 review (despite being a huge fan of the game) which managed to keep things on the actual topic, but found this review almost pathetically mediocre in terms of humor (despite not even OWNING the game) mainly because you ran out of faults so quickly that you had to spend the third act of your review crawling back to the console hardware for more things to ***** about.

I know you're going for comedy here, Yahtzee, but you're starting to become the Carlos Mencia of video game comedy, beating the same old boring stereotypical jokes as if they're still somehow funny. "Nintendo sux and iz 4 babiez har har har". "Gamers are entitled har har har". And so on. Yes, some of them are true but that doesn't excuse you from recycling the same fricking joke ad infinitum. Be original for once. The "Nintendo sucks" joke is way beyond a dead horse, it's already thoroughly decomposed.
He's been doing this shit for years, and making the entire gaming community more cynical and dickish with his vast influence. It's kind of ridiculous.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
To be honest, this review actually received a good share of praise before the usual downfall. I feel good about his points and I still really want to play this one.

All in all, good review style this go around, very entertaining with facts and figures.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
So wait, Yahtzee actually likes the game?

And I have to disagree with the semi-transparent inventory. I hate that shit. It's never transparent enough or it's too transparent. And the point of it was that you can only focus one or the other. To keep the tension up.
In which case you could just have the inventor pull up on the TV screen whilst the game is still running. Only thing is, if that happened on a PS3 or 360 game, it would be considered a flaw. But put it on a secondary unit and suddenly it's called innovation(?)

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Terramax said:
BiH-Kira said:
So wait, Yahtzee actually likes the game?

And I have to disagree with the semi-transparent inventory. I hate that shit. It's never transparent enough or it's too transparent. And the point of it was that you can only focus one or the other. To keep the tension up.
In which case you could just have the inventor pull up on the TV screen whilst the game is still running. Only thing is, if that happened on a PS3 or 360 game, it would be considered a flaw. But put it on a secondary unit and suddenly it's called innovation(?)
No you couldn't.
If you put in on the screen, you can see the inventory and only the inventory. On the WiiU you can see both, but you can focus only on one. You can always look back to the TV to see what's going on.
If you make the inventory transparent, there will be absolutely no tension because you can see both all the time.

D Moness

Left the building
Sep 16, 2010
CriticKitten said:
Of course, he DID spend half the review bitching about the Wii U instead of the game, so I guess it's just par for the mediocre course these days. Can't spend the review demonstrating genuine original concepts and humor, can we? Let's ***** about a company I don't like, my fans haven't gotten tired of that yet, I'm sure!
Kind of the reason i stopped watching any vid based on games released for a nintendo system. Half of the time he just bashes the system for anything he can think of and not focussing on the game he is suppose to talk about.

Even on other vids that review completely different games he can not keep himself from trying to take a stab at nintendo.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
A Smooth Criminal said:
canadamus_prime said:
At least they're trying to do something different. Still not buying at WiiU though and not because I still think that tea tray of a controller is poorly designed.
I know you've never even held the controller. You looked at it and said "it's too big". All those people who say that it feels good, ergonomic and natural? Obviously in your world they don't exist.
I've never heard anyone say it feels good ergonomic and natural so no, as far as I know, they don't exist. ¬___¬
Besides it's not as though I'm slamming it into the ground, but I do think the controller is poorly designed.

EDIT: There I fixed it, so EXCUSE ME, PRINCESS!!

nima55

Paladin of Traffic Law
Nov 14, 2010
Magichead said:
nima55 said:
Yahtzee doesn't like the Wii U? No shocker there. Pretty sure there is nothing Nintendo could do to make him like them. Oh well I'm off to play ZombiU again.
A quality he has in common with anyone not; under 12, over 50, or possessed of the ability to constantly ingest ripe, fresh turds over and over again because they have a little "N" sticker on them.

When Nintendo can produce more than two good games per-generation that aren't targeted at young children or Generic Middle-aged Mother of 3's, they might start to earn back some of their credibility.
As I'm sure your ego needs the boost that comes from beating up the big company, sure why not